Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2014, 12:36 AM   #1
JoyB-UK
Mouseketeer

New Disney cruise line survey - possible dining changes

First of all sorry if this has recently been mentioned, the search function is not working for me at the moment.

I have just filled an online survey in on the DCL website which I have not seen before, it is focused wholly on dining - both rotational and up charge.

The general gist of it is the disney is considering making changes and allowing cruisers to pre select their dining rotation. A lot of the question were around how much we would prefer to be able to pick which nights we wanted in which restaurants.

Then other questions focused on the dress code for Palo - both brunch and dinner, and that they were considering lowering the minimum age to 16.

Also mentioned where the possibility of a wine tasting menu for $50 extra in Palo and something about an extra dessert tasting thing for extra money in both Palo and Remy.

I just thought it was interesting that they were considering these changes and that I hadn't seen them mentioned on here before.
Disneyland - 2011
Disney Cruise Line - 2010, 2011, 2013
Upcoming Cruise - 12 night Disney Magic Med July 2014 B2B 4 night Disney Magic Med August 2014
Other Cruises - Vision of the Seas 2012, Adventure of the Seas 2013, Independence of the Seas 2013
JoyB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:42 AM   #2
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyB-UK View Post
First of all sorry if this has recently been mentioned, the search function is not working for me at the moment.

I have just filled an online survey in on the DCL website which I have not seen before, it is focused wholly on dining - both rotational and up charge.

The general gist of it is the disney is considering making changes and allowing cruisers to pre select their dining rotation. A lot of the question were around how much we would prefer to be able to pick which nights we wanted in which restaurants.

Then other questions focused on the dress code for Palo - both brunch and dinner, and that they were considering lowering the minimum age to 16.

Also mentioned where the possibility of a wine tasting menu for $50 extra in Palo and something about an extra dessert tasting thing for extra money in both Palo and Remy.

I just thought it was interesting that they were considering these changes and that I hadn't seen them mentioned on here before.
The DIS has a lot of people asking how to choose a night for Palo or Remy when they don't know which night they'll be in which MDR. So it does make sense to have an option to choose your restaurants.

I heard they were considering lowering the minimum age for Palo to 14. Sweet sixteen is more do-able, or better yet, have a night or time when teens can join their parents, but keep the "adults only" the rest of the time.

Desserts aren't DCL's strong suit. Unless they bring in a pastry chef like those at the EPCOT French pastry shop, I sure wouldn't pay an upcharge for DCL desserts. Remy tries with their desserts -- at the end of our dinner they even gifted us with a box of "home-made" (ship-made?) candy. Sorry, but I make better truffles and suckers here at home.
jdb in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-17-2014, 05:10 AM   #3
aan1701
DIS Veteran

I am going to chime in here. This may seem harsh but I don't believe in sugar coating things. I hope beyond belief DCL does not lower the age limit for Palo. If they do this I fear the next step will be lowering the age limit for the cove then the clubs. Part of the reason I choose to cruise DCL is the adult only activities. Yes I fully understand there are plenty of children/teens on DCL. They have their areas. I don't want to lose my area. I am sorry for those who feel they have the perfect 16 or 17 year old, I am sure you do, but I want my adult only area to remain just that. Sorry about the rant.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using DISBoards
DCL 14 Night Westbound Panama To my House. 5/14/05-5/28/05, DCL 11 Night Southern 9/17/06-9/28/06, 7 Night DCL Western 10/20/07, DCL 15 Night Westbound Panama to my house. 5/10/08-5/25/08, 7 Night to St. Croix for my Birthday 2/28/09, 7 night to the Western 10/17/09, Back to back on the Wonder 10/14/10 and 10/17/10, 15 night Panama Canal to Bring the Wonder to my home and her new Home 1/6/2011. 10/8/2011 Eastern on the Magic. 4/29/12 15 nights to Hawaii and back from my home in Los Angeles, 5/6/13 14 nights from Miami back to my home in Los Angeles via the Panama Canal, Premier Pass holder, DVC Member since 2008.
aan1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:16 AM   #4
holula
DIS Veteran

If they lowered the minimum age for Palo they would lose my money. I like it being an adult only area. If they change one thing to 16+ where does it stop?

Now choosing your dining rotation (or selecting your preference) would be an EXCELLENT improvement!
Eurodisney/Disneyland Paris: 1997, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2011; Disneyland Resort: 2000, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 (x2), 2011, 2012; Walt Disney World: 2011, 2012 (x2), 2013 (x4), 2014; Hong Kong Disneyland: 2012
Disney Wonder: 2012 Alaska, 2013 Bahamas; Disney Dream: 2012 Bahamas (x2); Disney Fantasy: 2013 Eastern, 2014 Western; Disney Magic: 2014 Bahamas (Wedding!)
Hilton Head Island Resort: 2013

Upcoming
Walt Disney World: 2014
Disney Magic: 2014 Southern, 2015 EB Transatlantic Disney Wonder: 2014 Xmas Western
holula is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:25 AM   #5
carpenta
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aan1701 View Post
I am going to chime in here. This may seem harsh but I don't believe in sugar coating things. I hope beyond belief DCL does not lower the age limit for Palo. If they do this I fear the next step will be lowering the age limit for the cove then the clubs. Part of the reason I choose to cruise DCL is the adult only activities. Yes I fully understand there are plenty of children/teens on DCL. They have their areas. I don't want to lose my area. I am sorry for those who feel they have the perfect 16 or 17 year old, I am sure you do, but I want my adult only area to remain just that. Sorry about the rant.

I agree. It would take away from the adult feel of Palo etc. and we have kids.
carpenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:28 AM   #6
MagicMe
DIS Veteran

No sorry. I'm fine with adding an optional wine or dessert tasting although it's doubtful I'd take advantage of either. They just raised Palo up charge again to $25 now. Used to be you could do a brunch dinner for $30 + tip and now it's $50. If I'm going to pay that up charge then I really don't want teens to be included. The next step is to open up Remy's, then lower the age (as mentioned) for the Cove Cafe, then the swim area, then the clubs. I love cruising DCL as an adult as I can relax in my areas and still get thrilled by the child/character interactions I see throughout the ship.
Disney Fantasy - SEP12; Disney Dream/OKW - OCT11; Disney Wonder - Alaska AUG11; Disney Magic WBTA - Sep10; Disney Magic - Sep08; WL - Dec07-MVMCP; OKW - Oct/Nov06-MNSSHP; Disney Wonder - Aug06; OKW - Sept05; Disneyland - Jun04; Offsite - Dec03-MVMCP; Poly - Aug02; POR/Wonder - Aug00; POR - Jul99; And many more...

MagicMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:36 AM   #7
TinkerbelleMom
Mom to 3 Princesses

Quote:

I totally agree! When my girlfriends and I cruise we alway choose Disney because of its strict adult only policy. When we cruise with the family, it's become a treat for our oldest to be able to join us in those areas, away from her younger sisters, but she had to wait until she hit 18 to do so.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:39 AM   #8
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Don't want to see Palo age limit lowered either. If they do let you choose your own rotation won't most everyone want the 'good" rotation of having formal night in the fancier dining rooms. I just see it going the way of the cabanas on CC....concierge getting first dibs and everyone else scrambling and figuring out how they can get the "good" rotation on each ship. Just another think to compete for. I like having the rotation random with requests for a certain rotation given or not.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 1 time

)“DON'T BE SAD IT'S OVER, BE HAPPY IT HAPPENED!!
mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:41 AM   #9
nancipants
Mouseketeer

If teens can dine in Palo does that mean I can go play in Vibe?
Old 02-17-2014, 07:02 AM   #10
iloverags2
DIS Veteran

I was chosen to take this survey as well, and have to admit I was not happy with a good portion of it.

First, the main dining rotation questions were all good. I would love to see that changed where you can select the rotation you would prefer as it would help tremendously with booking other things such as upcharge dining, and in some cases shore excursions.

But that second set of questions about Palo and Remy? Boy, was I not pleased with any of it. The questions regarding the minimum age were a hot button. I love cruising DCL because they have always been awesome about adult-only areas. Sorry, but when I was growing up my parents taught us that some things were just meant for us to wait for. There was no whining and fussing about it - just a matter of fact, "this is for adults, you will get your turn someday." DCL needs to stop listening to the gripers who want their kids to have everything NOW.

The second group of questions regarding Palo and Remy were another hot button with me. While I don't get my panties in a wad over the main dining rooms dress code, I do feel Palo and Remy (especially at dinner time) should remain an elegant evening. DCL has already relaxed the main dining dress code...that should be enough. If they relax the upcharge dress code as well (yes, the questions were pointed towards allowing jeans), forget about seeing any extra money from me in those dining rooms. C'mon DCL - some of us would like to have a nice, elegant evening.

Off my soapbox.

Birthday Celebration on the Dream!
iloverags2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:36 AM   #11
TLinden16
Scotty and Ray at Jellyrolls RULE!!! *poke* *poke*
Operating under the influence of Colin Farrell's eyes

Add me to the list of people who hope they don't lower the dining age at 16. There are plenty of other opportunities for teens to enjoy on the ship. There is no need to give the opportunity to dine at Palo.

I don't worry too much about the dining rotation, so if they let people pick, I don't think I'd worry too much about it.

TLinden16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:06 AM   #12
keaster
DIS Veteran

I'm with the keep Palo adult only crowd!

As for dining rotation, I personally never understood why people want to know or book their rotation ahead of time. We have always booked Palo on the days we wanted and didn't worry if it was Pirate Night, Formal Night, etc. We are pretty go with the flow!

-----------------------
DCL Gold, Baby!
Caribbean Magic - February 2009
Bahamas Wonder - September 2009
Mediterranean Magic - May 2010
Mexico Wonder - March 2011
Bahamas Dream - July 2011
Caribbean Fantasy - March 2013

Our DVC Adventures!AKL Jambo - March 2012, AKL Kidani - August 2012, BLT - March 2013, SSR Treehouse - August 2013, AKL Kidani - March 2014
keaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:08 AM   #13
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well Said.......
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:17 AM   #14
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by holula View Post
If they lowered the minimum age for Palo they would lose my money. I like it being an adult only area. If they change one thing to 16+ where does it stop?

Now choosing your dining rotation (or selecting your preference) would be an EXCELLENT improvement!
Old 02-17-2014, 08:40 AM   #15
smmast
Welcomed Guest

I just emailed DCL. We are loyal guests, with unfortunately no children of our own. We sail DCL for many reasons, but in part because we love to watch how excited the kids get with the characters etc. That said, the ability to have adult only areas on the ship, including Palo and Remy, makes for the perfect experience. I hope they will choose to preserve this experience.
smmast is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: