Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2011, 12:39 PM   #151
kacaju
DIS Veteran

she is home!! Her anxiety did get to her last night a few times, but she was able to talk herself out of it. I am so proud of her. I know this was a huge step for her to take.
kacaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:02 PM   #152
kacaju
DIS Veteran

ugh!! so my dd just told me she does not want to go on her 5th grade camping trip. She did real good sleeping over her friends house, but it was rough on her and now this.... I told her we will have to talk to her therapist on tuesday to see what he says before I can tell her she has to or doesnt have to go on this trip
The camping trip is for 2 nights, 3 days. I know she will have so much fun during the day..it is the night time that kills her.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-12-2011, 08:23 PM   #153
kacaju
DIS Veteran

YES!! We just found out that my oldest dd (17) is able to go along on the 5th grade camping trip with her sister! I had the therapist write a letter stating it would be helpful to my younger dd to have her sister there. They always pick a few juniors ans seniors to go on this trip as chaparones/.camp counsilors

DD11 has had a rough week, it was State testing this week and she was sure someone would get sick while they were testing..(no one did) but now her focus will be on this trip and her anixiety level is building.
I am also having a meeting next week with the teachers who will be on the trip so we are all on the same page.
Of course with Emetophobia the last thing I want is for her to tell the teachers, nurse she is sick and have them call me to come pick her up!!!
Old 05-12-2011, 08:42 PM   #154
TaraPA
I will think of that animatronic as him
I also wouldn't mind if they made it racier!The germs would just skeeve me out!

That's good news that your older DD can go along on the trip! Maybe with her along she won't need to call you to come pick her up, even if she's having a lot of anxiety. Is she comfortable talking to her sister about it? I understand how the anxiety an be all-consuming. Sometimes it just eats you alive.

AKL/BWI CL split stay 8/14 Dane's birthday**Poly Girls Trip 5/14**Poly/AKV Girls Trip 3/14**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 12/13 **BWI CL/CSR BC Dane's surprise 13th birthday 8/13**BWV Girls Trip 4/13**WL CL/AKV Jambo family trip 3/13**CSR surprising family trip 12/12**POR Girls Trip 10/12 ** BC CL/Dolphin Family Trip 3/12** BCV/Poly Girls Trip 3/12**AKV Kidani 11/11 Girls Trip! **Dolphin 3/11 family trip ** Swan - 3/11 GIRLS TRIP!**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 10/10!**Dolphin 2/10- ESPN Weekend/family trip**BLT 11/09 Girls Trip** Dolphin 12/08 Girls Trip**Solo trip/offsite 05/08** Dolphin 12/07 mom & Dane trip**AKL 12/06 family trip**AS Music 11/02 mom & Ty trip**Disneyland - Anaheim Hilton 5/02 adults only!** AS Sports 9/01 family trip**Swan 10/00 family trip**CSR 10/99 family trip**offsite 1989,1987, 1970's
TaraPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:34 AM   #155
kacaju
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraPA View Post
That's good news that your older DD can go along on the trip! Maybe with her along she won't need to call you to come pick her up, even if she's having a lot of anxiety. Is she comfortable talking to her sister about it? I understand how the anxiety an be all-consuming. Sometimes it just eats you alive.
Yes, she can talk to her sister..her sister is very good with her and will be able to help her while on the trip.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:48 PM   #156
kacaju
DIS Veteran

Well tomorrow is the big day...the 5th grade camping trip!!!

DD is very excited for the trip...Much different then she was 2 months ago when she feared this trip. She went to therapy today...with her sister who is going along on the trip as a counselor so they could come up with a plan in case her fear gets to her while away.

I have a letter for the teachers from the therapist...explaining in detail about Emetophobia...what it is and why dd gets so upset.

What to do and not do with her. ie.. do not call home or allow her to call home unless the nurse/medic determines it is an actual emergency.
If someone in camp actually does vomit, get dd away from the area and allow her time to relax if she actually witnessed it.
A few other things and also my dd's have an *emergency* plan if she does get overwhelmed.
I do think she will be fine...as I said, she really has come a long way..I know tomorrow night will be the toughest part for her.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:54 AM   #157
SDSorority
I was traumatized as a child by Magic Journeys and The Haunted Mansion. **I have a LGMH with me at all times.** {Is it Podcast day yet??}

Location: The home of the Buckeyes! 975 Miles too far away from Epcot.

Hi everyone- another emeto here! Just wanted to check in and say hi! Emeto runs in my family (mom's side). Luckily DH doesn't have it- he's very patient with me and my panic attacks. I haven't read through the thread very much- does anyone take Bach's Rescue Remedy?? I started taking it when I had a nervous breakdown last December- DH had the tummy flu... freaked me out in a MAJOR way. I started taking Rescue Remedy and it really does help me. Check it out if you've never heard of it!!
Old 06-02-2011, 02:09 PM   #158
Sleepyhappyandgrumpy
Mouseketeer

Hi All!

I also have a phobia of vomiting. Not of other people vomiting, although I used to, unless it's contagious.

I haven't puked since 1987, except for the dry-heaves once in college... (Knock on wood.)

I could really like to keep it that way, or to not be afraid anymore. It's exhausting. It doesn't interfere with my daily life too much, unless someone I've had contact with gets the stomach flu.

When that happens I am a mess until the carefully calculated incubation period has passed. I dread the panic I feel almost as much as I dread vomiting.

I'm sorry that you all have this too, but I'm glad to have found you!

Anyone else sleep with zofran under their pillow?

Oct 2011 POP, Oct 2013 WL
Sleepyhappyandgrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:09 PM   #159
TaraPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacaju View Post
Well tomorrow is the big day...the 5th grade camping trip!!!

DD is very excited for the trip...Much different then she was 2 months ago when she feared this trip. She went to therapy today...with her sister who is going along on the trip as a counselor so they could come up with a plan in case her fear gets to her while away.

I have a letter for the teachers from the therapist...explaining in detail about Emetophobia...what it is and why dd gets so upset.

What to do and not do with her. ie.. do not call home or allow her to call home unless the nurse/medic determines it is an actual emergency.
If someone in camp actually does vomit, get dd away from the area and allow her time to relax if she actually witnessed it.
A few other things and also my dd's have an *emergency* plan if she does get overwhelmed.
I do think she will be fine...as I said, she really has come a long way..I know tomorrow night will be the toughest part for her.
Well?!?!? How did it go?!?! We you anxious the whole time she was there? I know I would have been!

AKL/BWI CL split stay 8/14 Dane's birthday**Poly Girls Trip 5/14**Poly/AKV Girls Trip 3/14**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 12/13 **BWI CL/CSR BC Dane's surprise 13th birthday 8/13**BWV Girls Trip 4/13**WL CL/AKV Jambo family trip 3/13**CSR surprising family trip 12/12**POR Girls Trip 10/12 ** BC CL/Dolphin Family Trip 3/12** BCV/Poly Girls Trip 3/12**AKV Kidani 11/11 Girls Trip! **Dolphin 3/11 family trip ** Swan - 3/11 GIRLS TRIP!**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 10/10!**Dolphin 2/10- ESPN Weekend/family trip**BLT 11/09 Girls Trip** Dolphin 12/08 Girls Trip**Solo trip/offsite 05/08** Dolphin 12/07 mom & Dane trip**AKL 12/06 family trip**AS Music 11/02 mom & Ty trip**Disneyland - Anaheim Hilton 5/02 adults only!** AS Sports 9/01 family trip**Swan 10/00 family trip**CSR 10/99 family trip**offsite 1989,1987, 1970's
Old 06-02-2011, 03:12 PM   #160
TaraPA

Welcome SDSorority & sleepyhappyand grumpy!

I hope no one mids, I posted about our thread here on another thread on the Theme Parks Board about people vomiting. Seems like there were some emets over there & I wanted them to know this is more common than people think, and there are many of us who suffer from it!

I haven't tried the Rescue Remedy - what exactly is it? I'm glad it's helped you!

I don't sleep with zofran under my pillow but I have many emet "rituals" that would seem bizarre to anyone else who doesn't have emet. We all "get it" here, we do what we need to do to calm our fear & anxiety. It's real to us!

Old 06-02-2011, 04:38 PM   #161
sdchickie
Fan of the Mouse!

Oh my gosh, I had no idea this was a real thing. I just thought I got overly anxious whenever I even think I hear someone pukeing. I had no idea there was alot of other people that feel the same way. I too keep gallon size ziploc bags with me when ever I travel. And yes, I am always the first to see the puke on the sidewalk or where ever it might be. If I'm watching TV I change the channel if I see teenagers drinking or someone about to get sick. I recently had to do a barium swallow (where they make you drink large amounts of gross stuff while they x-ray your throat) because I refused to have a scope put down my throat. I also refused general anestesia when I had my last two surgerys, again because of the tube down the throat. I'm so happy to know I'm not alone here! The things you learn on the DIS.

sdchickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:44 PM   #162
kacaju
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSorority View Post
Hi everyone- another emeto here! Just wanted to check in and say hi! Emeto runs in my family (mom's side). Luckily DH doesn't have it- he's very patient with me and my panic attacks. I haven't read through the thread very much- does anyone take Bach's Rescue Remedy?? I started taking it when I had a nervous breakdown last December- DH had the tummy flu... freaked me out in a MAJOR way. I started taking Rescue Remedy and it really does help me. Check it out if you've never heard of it!!
I use rescue remedy on my dogs to calm them during thunderstorms
Old 06-02-2011, 04:47 PM   #163
kacaju
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraPA View Post
Well?!?!? How did it go?!?! We you anxious the whole time she was there? I know I would have been!
She is still there!!! They come home tomorrow. My older dd texted me this morning (I texted first to ask how the younger one did) Well she did great until night when someone complained of a stomach ache...but then it seems one of her friends slept in the same bed as her so that made her feel better.

Funny thing...she is so afraid of someone getting her sick, I am surprised she would actually sleep in the same bed as another girl since she avoids anyone who *might* be sick!!
Old 06-02-2011, 05:07 PM   #164
TaraPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdchickie View Post
Oh my gosh, I had no idea this was a real thing. I just thought I got overly anxious whenever I even think I hear someone pukeing. I had no idea there was alot of other people that feel the same way. I too keep gallon size ziploc bags with me when ever I travel. And yes, I am always the first to see the puke on the sidewalk or where ever it might be. If I'm watching TV I change the channel if I see teenagers drinking or someone about to get sick. I recently had to do a barium swallow (where they make you drink large amounts of gross stuff while they x-ray your throat) because I refused to have a scope put down my throat. I also refused general anestesia when I had my last two surgerys, again because of the tube down the throat. I'm so happy to know I'm not alone here! The things you learn on the DIS.
I'm also Queen of the Ziplock bags! I have several in each car, and when traveling (especdially WDW) there is one in my bag or tote or backpack at all times.

DS14 had a barium swallow last year - and he threw up all over the poor x-ray tech! I felt so bad, they wouldn't let me in the room to clean it up. They said it happens all the time. Imagine having that job!

Old 06-02-2011, 05:17 PM   #165
TaraPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacaju View Post
She is still there!!! They come home tomorrow. My older dd texted me this morning (I texted first to ask how the younger one did) Well she did great until night when someone complained of a stomach ache...but then it seems one of her friends slept in the same bed as her so that made her feel better.

Funny thing...she is so afraid of someone getting her sick, I am surprised she would actually sleep in the same bed as another girl since she avoids anyone who *might* be sick!!
That would make me a nervous wreck too if I was sleeping in close quarters with someone who had an upset stomach. If my kids have one I'm soooo anxious I don't sleep all night, just waiting for them to throw up.

Glad to hear it's going well!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: