Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2011, 10:17 PM   #46
stopher1

Wall to wall creeps, and hot and cold running chills! Shh...listen
I have plenty of hill left to climb thank you very much

Location: Indiana + AKV, SSR, VGC & Aulani (wishing to be able to ADD VWL to the mix too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Hobbits 2 Disney View Post
How cool is that...It's a Small World for the holidays. Love it.

Loving your trip report. Maybe I'll have to incorporate your strategy into my next California trip.

Thanks for sharing.
Thanks & Welcome!

Oh yeah, not only is it decked out both outside and in, but the music is changed too. It's the same overall theme, but "Deck the Halls" and "Jingle Bells" is worked in. It's much more enjoyable, IMO than the traditional version. This was the 14th or 15th year they've done the holiday overlay for IASW now, and it is such a crowd pleaser.

DISNEYLAND: Way too many to possibly count! I grew up 30 mins. from DL. Former CM. AP holder for 20 yrs. Premier Pass AP. All 3 DL Resorts and numerous off-site hotels.
WDW: 58 trips on & off-site, including DVC, Deluxe, Moderate & Value - in 18 different WDW resorts & numerous off-site resorts. AP holder for 5 yrs. Premier Pass AP holder.
AULANI: 1 so far. More to come though, & definitely looking forward to returning!
stopher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:58 PM   #47
kikiq
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
Are you seriously saying that they've restarted the swing bands on Saturday nights year-round now? I know that in the last couple summers, the Disney All-American Band (only performing from mid-June to mid-August) comes in and does a swing set on Saurday night. And don't poo poo their quality as too young for that style msuic-many of the members of DAMB are experienced Big Band Musicians, though still in college earning their chops (including DS).
Now I can't say all through summer as I was up in northern Cal for most of it taking care of my Dad, but my DH and I go to Disneyland two Saturdays a month and listen to the bands. I would say that most Saturday nights there is a swing band. Our favorites are Tim Gill and Doc Anello. There are some bands that we haven't heard yet. I know that earlier this year there was a group of young folks that would "dress" and just dance the night away. Our favorites are a couple that I'm guessing are entertainment CMs. They dance during the Remember fireworks. It's so cool, to see them dance to the firework music in the dark. Very professional.

kikiq is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-19-2011, 09:40 AM   #48
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiq View Post
Now I can't say all through summer as I was up in northern Cal for most of it taking care of my Dad, but my DH and I go to Disneyland two Saturdays a month and listen to the bands. I would say that most Saturday nights there is a swing band. Our favorites are Tim Gill and Doc Anello. There are some bands that we haven't heard yet. I know that earlier this year there was a group of young folks that would "dress" and just dance the night away. Our favorites are a couple that I'm guessing are entertainment CMs. They dance during the Remember fireworks. It's so cool, to see them dance to the firework music in the dark. Very professional.

That's interesting info, thanks. I passed it along to DS so he can see what he missed!
Old 01-19-2011, 11:31 AM   #49
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

great pics stopher.

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!
2000+ MILE ROUND TRIP DRIVING THREAD.. DOUBLE DIAMOND DRIVER!

dvczerfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:51 AM   #50
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopher1 View Post
Across the esplanade I went.
Gesundheit

Quote:
It's A Small World Holiday. This is hands-down my favorite aspect of Christmas at Disneyland.
That's quite an attraction! How long do they have to shut it down for to put all that up?

Quote:
The Fire Station, with Walt's apartment above
It's hard to tell from the picture - is that Walt's lamp that it lit up or are there Christmas Lights in the window?
Old 01-19-2011, 02:30 PM   #51
stopher1

Location: Indiana + AKV, SSR, VGC & Aulani (wishing to be able to ADD VWL to the mix too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
That's quite an attraction! How long do they have to shut it down for to put all that up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
I believe, but could be off a bit, that it takes 6 weeks to install, and then 3 or 4 to remove it all afterwards. It's up and ready to go when the Christmas season kicks off once Halloween moves out.

They do similarly with the Haunted Mansion Holiday (Nightmare Before Christmas overlay), but that one covers both Halloween and Christmas, so it's ready to go by Labor Day. That too takes several weeks to prep, and then 2 or 3 to remove. So yeah, both attractions are down for a good chunk of time twice per year.

It's hard to tell from the picture - is that Walt's lamp that it lit up or are there Christmas Lights in the window?
Yeah, sorry, my camera doesn't do the best with nighttime shots. But you can't expect much from many point and shoots, or the operator for that matter.

There's a mini Christmas tree up there behind the window. It's a lamp on a table most of the year, then a small tree during the Christmas season.

DISNEYLAND: Way too many to possibly count! I grew up 30 mins. from DL. Former CM. AP holder for 20 yrs. Premier Pass AP. All 3 DL Resorts and numerous off-site hotels.
WDW: 58 trips on & off-site, including DVC, Deluxe, Moderate & Value - in 18 different WDW resorts & numerous off-site resorts. AP holder for 5 yrs. Premier Pass AP holder.
AULANI: 1 so far. More to come though, & definitely looking forward to returning!
Old 01-19-2011, 06:13 PM   #52
nuts
Lover of Disney, Family Guy, and all around good person

I've always wanted to do the Pro Bowl in Hawaii followed by the Superbowl. Maybe a Trifecta is better (Aluani, VGC, SSR)?

nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:37 PM   #53
stopher1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts View Post
I've always wanted to do the Pro Bowl in Hawaii followed by the Superbowl. Maybe a Trifecta is better (Aluani, VGC, SSR)?
That sounds pretty awesome to me!!

Old 01-20-2011, 02:04 PM   #54
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

The night shots are great! Even if it is a point-and-shoot.

Whoever came up with the idea of making the icicle lights for the castles was a genius.

Quote:
Oh yeah, not only is it decked out both outside and in, but the music is changed too. It's the same overall theme, but "Deck the Halls" and "Jingle Bells" is worked in. It's much more enjoyable, IMO than the traditional version. This was the 14th or 15th year they've done the holiday overlay for IASW now, and it is such a crowd pleaser.
IASW with Christmas lights and less annoying music? Sounds like something I might actually try.
Captain_Oblivious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:29 PM   #55
Muushka
I usually feel like I just stepped in it
I do love to see a cat while on vacation
Well hot-diggity-dog, another Groupie!

Hey Stoph! Those pictures of Small World all decked out for Christmas are so pretty, I might actually get Mr Muush to ride it!

~Remember 9/11/2012
~The IRS. Today it's 'them', tomorrow it's YOU!
~I would rather be governed by the first 50 names in the Boston telephone book
than by the professors at Harvard. ~William F. Buckley Jr.
Muushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:03 PM   #56
tea pot
DIS Veteran

Beautiful, Beautiful

Stopher....You are so right I just have to get out there at Christmas especially to see the Holiday Small World.

Thanks a bunch for the great pictures

A dream is a wish your heart makes when you're fast asleep
tea pot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:47 PM   #57
DisneyDadC
Dis Dad Member #187
time to order me up a bag of dole whip mix

The pics man the pics
Dis Dad's Club Member #187 Dis Dad's Facebook Club Member
Tickets $,Travel $, Rooms Costs $,Putting a smile on a childs face=Priceless Keep up the Magic

DisneyDadC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:12 PM   #58
Rental01
DIS Dad’s Club Member #366

Quote:
Thanks & Welcome!

Gunboats yet? Please? :D
Home School Dis Dad's Alliance

Rental01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:38 PM   #59
stopher1

It's Finally Time for an Update...

Part V: Monday, Monday

Life sure gets in the way sometimes of what you really want to do… updating your Trip Report! My gracious it’s been about 2 months since I last updated this. Bummer for those following along, who’ve probably all but given up on me by now… Christmas is long gone, Valentine’s has come and gone, and the little green leprechauns will be out in force in just a couple more weeks… I’d better get crackin’. “Sherman, turn on the way back machine” – it’s time to go back to the 2010 Christmas season once more…

…here’s where we last were when I last updated…

Since it's such a nice short walk from the main gate back to the Grand, I was literally in my room in less than 10 minutes (I lingered in the lobby enjoying the fire place for 2 or 3 minutes first).

The next day was check-out from VGC, but more time in the park, before I had to head off to the work portion of my trip...but that doesn't mean at all that it was the last time in the parks that week by any means. Hmmm. More about that later.

Here are a few more photos from the lobby of the Grand – to reset the mood for you…

And some lamps from the lobby too (I love taking shots of architecture, décor, and furnishings, if you haven’t yet figured that out)

This one is from the central lobby area, near the built in sofas

And this one is from the Registration counter - I love the dragonflies in the glass

Monday morning arrived, and yes it was check-out day. I would be transferring my gear down to the Crowne Plaza in Irvine for the work portion of this trip. But I didn’t need to check-in in Irvine until that evening… so it was another fun-filled day in the parks. I pretty much had my gear ready to go early, and took it down to the car. Then it was a relatively quick walk back to the Grand for a quick walk-through and entry in to DCA. I took a few shots of the resort on the way. Here are a couple of the outdoor fireplace, wedding lawn area and the pool area.

Today I wanted to ride the Silly Symphony Swings. And check out the new (to me) exhibit in the Imagineering Blue Sky Cellar – (it was the pending Little Mermaid ride having replaced the World of Color that was there the last time I went in there). So I worked my way over in to the Paradise Pier section of the park. Here I was standing directly in front of Toy Story Midway Mania, with the California Screamin’ loop above.

And here was my score from TSMM. Not too shabby, but of course lots of room for improvement there.

And here I turned around and am looking directly north across the Paradise Pier lagoon at the construction of the new Little Mermaid ride.

It's kind of funny to look back now, at this picture from 3 months ago, when I've been watching the construction progress on two different websites I follow and how much further along it is since this picture was taken. Grand Opening has now been set for early June. I can't wait to ride it...

As you are looking north across the lagoon, to your left as the walk path curves around the lagoon, you find the Silly Symphony Swings. This ride is new, but it is not, in the sense that it replaced the original swing ride from when DCA first opened in 2001 - the Orange Stinger. Let me just say straight off, I LOVE this little ride. Oh my goodness. I never cared for the old version - but this completely rebuilt, redone swing ride is so much better, and way cooler. I love the theming too, of the old Silly Symphony cartoons, especially Mickey’s Band Concert, especially this great topper that was put on. It really is so fun… and the music from the Band Concert cartoon sure helps too.

And finally a little video of it – it was such fun. I think I mentioned that, didn’t I? Fun. Yeah. I could go for a ride on the swings right now actually. They were fun.

http://s292.photobucket.com/albums/m...1129-00132.mp4

Old 03-03-2011, 06:50 AM   #60
stopher1

Here are just a few pics of the model for the new Little Mermaid attraction. I looks very immersive and cool. I can't wait for it to open, and some time next year for it's clone to open up in the MK. My DW and I have talked for years about how poor Ariel got the shaft with no ride in Fantasyland like the other princesses did. Finally her day is coming. Needless to say my DD who absolutely ADORES Ariel is pretty stoked about this new attraction.

Wandering around DCA produced a handful of other pictures as well. The park is under heavy construction thanks to the major renovations, redos and that new little land they are building, Carsland. 2012 and beyond will have a lot of cool new stuff to take pictures of - but for now, a few old standbys.

Here the old Mulholland Madness is behind construction walls as it gets remade in to Goofy's Sky School. Since this was taken the entire track has been repainted blue. Makes sense since the coaster is supposed to be about flight.

That is of course, the Grand Californian right behind the coaster too.

Mickey's Fun Wheel with California Screamin' behind it

Part of the viewing area for World of Color - Paradise Park, overlooking the lagoon

And then here is the lobby of the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror. I miss the 4D room from the WDW version here, but I do like the double stacked elevators. My kids definitely prefer this version to Florida, as they don't like the 4D room. Oh well, to each his own. No matter - I love this attraction, and the immersive environments of the lobby and the library.

Last edited by stopher1; 03-03-2011 at 07:05 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: