Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2011, 09:26 PM   #31
stopher1

Wall to wall creeps, and hot and cold running chills! Shh...listen
I have plenty of hill left to climb thank you very much

Location: Indiana + AKV, SSR, VGC & Aulani (wishing to be able to ADD VWL to the mix too)

Update 3: Mostly Pictures with Less than Normal Dialogue

The next day was Sunday, and I was headed in to Disneyland. In looking back I really didn't take as many pictures as I remembered - but it is what it is. And, for this update, I'm not going to comment on a whole lot, but let the pictures do the talking (mostly).

The security check point - not quite as permanent looking as the ones at WDW... and still NO "Guests Without Bags" line. Ugh.

Having passed through the tunnels and out in to Town Square

The Christmas Tree (I'm still sad about the fact the tree is artificial now... what the 2nd or 3rd year now, I don't remember. I much preferred the real trees of old). Like the buildings on Main Street, the castle and elserwhere in the park, the ornament utilize "forced perspective", getting smaller as the tree gets taller.

Hello Mickey!

I LOVE Main Street, USA!!!

Sleeping Beauty's Winter Castle by daylight (still my favorite castle)

A trip into Tomorrowland... Star Tours returns May 10th. Wish I could be there.

Across the pathway for a relatively short wait for Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters

Then further in to Captain EO! (nostalgic fun, and oh yeah, I like the film too) At WDW it's just plain old Captain EO - at DL it's Captain EO "Tribute". Whatever. I think plain old Captain EO is better. Rock on Epcot!

And a quick trip on Space Mountain. Here, the interior queue, getting ready to go down the ramp to board

Amazingly, that was the last picture I took for the rest of the afternoon. Crazy, but true. I didn't take any more until that evening when I went over to DCA to watch World of Color. But that'll be in the next installment.

DISNEYLAND: Way too many to possibly count! I grew up 30 mins. from DL. Former CM. AP holder for 20 yrs. Premier Pass AP. All 3 DL Resorts and numerous off-site hotels.
WDW: 58 trips on & off-site, including DVC, Deluxe, Moderate & Value - in 18 different WDW resorts & numerous off-site resorts. AP holder for 5 yrs. Premier Pass AP holder.
AULANI: 1 so far. More to come though, & definitely looking forward to returning!

Last edited by stopher1; 01-16-2011 at 10:01 PM.
stopher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:45 PM   #32
stopher1

Location: Indiana + AKV, SSR, VGC & Aulani (wishing to be able to ADD VWL to the mix too)

This next installment is about World of Color. I originally posted most of this back on the night or the next day within the DIS Dad's thread, and so I'm just paraphrasing it here for ease. This was mainly for my WDW-Centric pals who have never been to DL before... so any DL vets, you could even gloss over or skip this if you'd like - since you know all of this, and most likely, know even more than I do!

So picking up from the previous installment - I enjoyed DL throughout the rest of the afternoon. Ate dinner at Carnation Cafe on Main Street, and eventually headed back to relax in the room for a while, and enjoy the hot tub. DL would be open until Midnight, and I still had another day to enjoy it, so I wasn't worried about rushing back in to the park just yet. I decided since it was Sunday evening, I would skip attempting to see the two earlier WOC shows and wait for the last one at 10:15. I figured I'd have a better chance of getting a "good" viewing spot... and I am so very glad to have made that decision!

***************** (from my earlier DIS Dad's Club post in November)

Just as a background for the rest of the guys who may or may not know what it is... World of Color is an all-new (June 2010) water, laser, pyrotechnic show at California Adventure. It is about a 23 minute show that uses hundreds of fountains, and is truly a technical marvel. I had seen the entire show after it opened on youtube, but wow - there's just NOTHING like seeing it in person. Plus as I said earlier, I was in the very FRONT row, literally separated from the water only by a chest high fence.

The show's name is inspired from the old Walt Disney's World of Color TV program on Sunday nights (one of several iterations of that show that was originally named "Disneyland" and started to air in 1954 on ABC to help Walt introduce the concept of his theme park to the nation - but later renamed several times. World of Color was the name when tv was transforming from B&W to Color) and actually starts using the original narration from that show. It incorporates tons of Disney's animated film arsenal, plus some snips/clips from the Pirates films, etc. There was a cool Tron "tag" at the end as well, advertising the new film. If you like Fantasmic!, this is 95x cooler IMHO. Because the entire show is run via computer, with no human actors, etc - it can be reprogrammed and updated relatively quickly. It has been so very popular this year since it opened, and I've been reading online that they're talking about change outs for Christmas, Halloween etc to add additional interest. That will be pretty cool too, IMO.

Here are a few pics, and I'll try to post the short video clips as well.

Just moments before the show began. I was again, right at the water's edge. Off to the right side a bit, but still have a great vantage point. I couldn't see the mist screens as well as I would have liked, but hey - I'll be back here in just 4 weeks so I can hopefully get a more centered view then.

In the background you see Mickey's Fun Wheel, which is used at various times in the show, and California Screamin' and Toy Story Midway Mania. All got in on the act during the Tron end-tag. That was pretty cool.

The fountains dance, and colors change - choregraphed to the music and clips playing too. I think my absolute favorite part was when they did the Genie's song "Friend Like Me". That was amazing. Not sure if I have any pics or not, but maybe. And the sequence where Woody meets Buzz, and then he proceeds to fly around the room was cool, but even better was when Buzz encountered Zurg, and Zurg proceeded to shoot at Buzz. Lasers were flying everywhere, and the water cannons were shooting off.

DISNEYLAND: Way too many to possibly count! I grew up 30 mins. from DL. Former CM. AP holder for 20 yrs. Premier Pass AP. All 3 DL Resorts and numerous off-site hotels.
WDW: 58 trips on & off-site, including DVC, Deluxe, Moderate & Value - in 18 different WDW resorts & numerous off-site resorts. AP holder for 5 yrs. Premier Pass AP holder.
AULANI: 1 so far. More to come though, & definitely looking forward to returning!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2011, 09:48 PM   #33
stopher1

Here are a few video clips - again, they're short, my camera only does 10 sec clips. I didn't have the video camera with me.

http://s292.photobucket.com/albums/m...t=PB290202.mp4

http://s292.photobucket.com/albums/m...t=PB290203.mp4

http://s292.photobucket.com/albums/m...t=PB290204.mp4

http://s292.photobucket.com/albums/m...t=PB290214.mp4

Old 01-16-2011, 10:59 PM   #34
Wherem I Now
DIS Dad #30
29+85+77+26+95+4=FUN

Those are great pictures Stopher! The detail on the buildings is amazing.
#30 King of the house, ruled by the Queen, and overrun by Princesses (18,16,7)

1978, 6/91 DisneyMoon, 10/94 DVL, 10/00 1st trip with DD's, 1/03, 1/05, 1/06 DCL Wonder. 4/06 Bonus day after business trip, 1/07 1st trip for 3rd DD, 6/07, 8/08 "Resort Hopper Trip", 1/09, 10/10, 5/11 DCL Dream, 4/12 OKW, 6/13 DCL Dream & OKW
Wherem I Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:02 AM   #35
KeepSwimmingDory
DIS Veteran

Very cool stopher! Thanks for sharing the details about California because it has been so long that it is hard for me to even remember it. And it was before California Adventure opened. I so hope to get back there! One of my sons loves all the laser light/water fountain type shows etc and World of Color would be amazing to him.

I love the photos of Main Street and enjoyed seeing the details there. Love that Crystal Arcade sign photo.

KeepSwimmingDory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:16 AM   #36
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

nice pics stopher!!! the trees are getting smaller.so are the decorations on the trees. i dont remember a live tree at wdw but i do remember the decorations and the tree being alot bigger.
dvczerfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:22 AM   #37
stopher1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherem I Now View Post
Those are great pictures Stopher! The detail on the buildings is amazing.
Thank you. I agree, the level of detail is incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepSwimmingDory View Post
Very cool stopher! Thanks for sharing the details about California because it has been so long that it is hard for me to even remember it. And it was before California Adventure opened. I so hope to get back there! One of my sons loves all the laser light/water fountain type shows etc and World of Color would be amazing to him.

I love the photos of Main Street and enjoyed seeing the details there. Love that Crystal Arcade sign photo.
I hope you can get back sometime, it really is so neat. There will be more pictures of Main Street coming up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
nice pics stopher!!! the trees are getting smaller.so are the decorations on the trees. i dont remember a live tree at wdw but i do remember the decorations and the tree being alot bigger.
Yeah, the end of the live tree era was a big thing. Very sad. It used to show up backstage sometime in early October while it got "dressed". They would always fill it in with some artificial branches to make it look "perfect", since no real tree ever really looks "perfect". But the whole "green thing" led to the demise of a real tree. And to boot, they went last year to LED lights, so it has a really strange look to it at night, IMO. Later on I'm planning on a side-by-side of DL & the MK's tree. There is quite a difference in the overall look of both!

Old 01-17-2011, 02:01 PM   #38
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

The pictures are great, Stopher. So familiar, yet so different.
Disneyland is certainly on our "must do" list, but we're holding out until Cars Land opens in a few years.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:54 PM   #39
tea pot
DIS Veteran

Loving it
I really need to go over to that side of the "World"
Looking forward to More

A dream is a wish your heart makes when you're fast asleep
tea pot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:33 PM   #40
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Wow, I've really fallen behind on your TR's! Sorry about that. I'm working on catching up.

First of all, I think the GC hotel looks amazing. Can't wait to see it in person someday. And I'm glad you could meet up with old friends.

Secondly, I'm with Barry in that it's probably best for us to wait till Radiator Springs opens up before going to DL. But I'm really intrigued by all the ways it differs from WDW. Thanks for posting all of the pictures. WOC looks like an awesome show!
Captain_Oblivious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:41 PM   #41
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiq View Post
Now, wait a minute, my friend...do you mean to tell me that my DH and I are teleported to yesteryear every Saturday night when we go to DL to listen to the swing bands. I mean those old couples are still out there, maybe we are being teleported back in time. But I mean to tell you the bands are still there Saturday nights. And I'm pretty sure a few of those old couples were dancing when you were last there Saturday nights = Swing band night = date night for us. But don't count on seeing us old fogies out there My DH does a mean toe tap and I'm usually dancing with my grand daughter or swaying if she's with us.
Are you seriously saying that they've restarted the swing bands on Saturday nights year-round now? I know that in the last couple summers, the Disney All-American Band (only performing from mid-June to mid-August) comes in and does a swing set on Saurday night. And don't poo poo their quality as too young for that style msuic-many of the members of DAMB are experienced Big Band Musicians, though still in college earning their chops (including DS).
Old 01-18-2011, 09:46 PM   #42
stopher1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
The pictures are great, Stopher. So familiar, yet so different.
Disneyland is certainly on our "must do" list, but we're holding out until Cars Land opens in a few years.
2012. Carsland opens in 2012. Start planning Barry - I'd say 2013. Evan will love it, I'm sure. Heck, I'll love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tea pot View Post
Loving it
I really need to go over to that side of the "World"
Looking forward to More
Yes you do! Do you still have the map I drew for you? If so, I'd love it if you would scan it and email it to me - it might come in handy later on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Wow, I've really fallen behind on your TR's! Sorry about that. I'm working on catching up.

First of all, I think the GC hotel looks amazing. Can't wait to see it in person someday. And I'm glad you could meet up with old friends.

Secondly, I'm with Barry in that it's probably best for us to wait till Radiator Springs opens up before going to DL. But I'm really intrigued by all the ways it differs from WDW. Thanks for posting all of the pictures. WOC looks like an awesome show!
No need to apologize Mark - glad you could stop by at all. The Grand IS amazing. Wow. I love it so much. I'm ready to go back now...

Old 01-18-2011, 09:59 PM   #43
stopher1

Part IV: Disneyland After Dark

Following the conclusion of World of Color at DCA, it was now about 10:45ish, and DCA was closed...but Disneyland was open until Midnight. Across the esplanade I went. Being a Sunday evening, with school the next day, I knew it would not be super crowded during that last hour, and I was very correct. I got to enjoy a LOT of the park in that short time. Here are some of my adventures.

The Partners statue

Sleeping Beauty's Winter Castle, by night

A close-up of one corner

I love how it wraps around to the back side more this year

Of course being much smaller than Cinderella's Castle at the MK, there is no restaurant upstairs, but there is the Castle Walkthru with the Sleeping Beauty Diorama. Very nice. Sedate. Classic. And these cool murals on each side of the inside of the castle breezeway.

It's A Small World Holiday. This is hands-down my favorite aspect of Christmas at Disneyland.

Last edited by stopher1; 01-18-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:10 PM   #44
stopher1

I was literally able to ride everything in Fantasyland, plus I went over and enjoyed Big Thunder Mountain before working my way back down Main Street, U.S.A.. Had some fun conversations with the cast members while I was at it.

Back in to Town Square, first the Opera House, home of Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln

The Emporium

The Fire Station, with Walt's apartment above

City Hall

And the Train Station

and then looking back after passing through the tunnels, and headed for the exit

Since it's such a nice short walk from the main gate back to the Grand, I was literally in my room in less than 10 minutes (I lingered in the lobby enjoying the fire place for 2 or 3 minutes first).

The next day was check-out from VGC, but more time in the park, before I had to head off to the work portion of my trip...but that doesn't mean at all that it was the last time in the parks that week by any means. Hmmm. More about that later.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:10 PM   #45
3 Hobbits 2 Disney
Working Our Way Home

How cool is that...It's a Small World for the holidays. Love it.

Loving your trip report. Maybe I'll have to incorporate your strategy into my next California trip.

Thanks for sharing.

The Hobbits
3 Hobbits 2 Disney is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: