Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Movies, Books, TV and Music
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2011, 09:17 PM   #1
kermit116
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy."

Will DisneyWar ruin that Disney magic?

The book DisneyWar has been put on a suggested reading list for one of my graduate courses this spring. Since I'm a huge Disney fan, that's the book that interests me most out of all those on the list. But will reading it ruin some of the "magic" of Disney? I'm one of those people who knows MK is one second level and that there are corridors below the park that keep things functional, but I'd never want to go tour them because I feel it would make the park seem too real and ruin some of the magic. I have a fair amount of Disney knowledge, including some about criticism of Eisner, but I don't want to read this book if it's just going to bash Disney. Thoughts?
kermit116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:00 PM   #2
lovetoscrap
Sees tag fairy posts that aren't there
Please bring back the Gecko and dump the stupid eyeballs
Just a timy bit dixzy

DISboards Moderator

I didn't think so. I really enjoyed it but I have to admit that I didn't understand a lot of the business related details in it. There isn't much about the parks at all in it. It really mostly about the people and Eisner's relationship with them and how it affected the company-- really mostly about the actual business of running Disney. The "war" part is really about Roy's war to have Eisner removed and what all led up to it. Very interesting details about Katzenburg and what all went on with him.

SCRAPbooking, I love to SCRAPbook. Don't worry, you're not the only one that read it wrong!
*Grand Duchess of Airline Check Ins and Upgrades**Lady In Waiting of The Cheap Boxed Wine Chamber**Grand Princess Royale of Cookieland* Another quality, content-rich post by LTS
lovetoscrap is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-06-2011, 08:35 AM   #3
kermit116
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy."

Great info - that's really helpful. Thanks!
kermit116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:54 PM   #4
Disney Von Drake
DIS Veteran

I think knowing the truth about the business dealings of the Disney Company may indeed ruin the magic for people that believe in the company spin. Walt Disney was a ruthless businessman and his tradition has been carried forth to this day. The Disney Company has always had a top shelf public relations department that works full time blowing pixie dust in every direction. It's been my experience that people that thrive on the magic can’t handle the truth.
Disney Von Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:01 PM   #5
Rupert B Puppenstein
DIS Veteran

Absolutely not. To understand and appreciate Disney wholeheartedly is to know all angles. I didn't believe all things in that book, nor do I in most biographies and non-fiction books relating to the company. A book that is entirely the truth does not sell...but that one has sold very well because of the title.

Tags
book, disneywar, magic

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: