Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2011, 02:05 AM   #91
magichusky
Mouseketeer

Yaaay- I finally caught up w/ your TR! I've been quite busy w/ school as well so my DISing quota has been suffering unfortunately. I was highly amused by the TSM running situation- hopefully next time I'll be able to check it out! My mom, sister, and I actually went to DHS for EMH that evening and it was SOOO cold!!!! The Osborne lights were so fabulous, even in 28 deg weather. I also thought your encounter w/ Trace was super hilarious- you must've accidentally gotten rather close to warrant such a reaction from his wife. Hee-hee!
-In Progress- "I Don't Cruise… I Jingle Cruise." --A New Year's PTR--
Old 03-24-2011, 06:50 AM   #92
amazingact21
Upendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by magichusky View Post
Yaaay- I finally caught up w/ your TR! I've been quite busy w/ school as well so my DISing quota has been suffering unfortunately. I was highly amused by the TSM running situation- hopefully next time I'll be able to check it out! My mom, sister, and I actually went to DHS for EMH that evening and it was SOOO cold!!!! The Osborne lights were so fabulous, even in 28 deg weather. I also thought your encounter w/ Trace was super hilarious- you must've accidentally gotten rather close to warrant such a reaction from his wife. Hee-hee!

It was freezing that night!!! I know for my stay, it was definitely the coldest night.

I was so embarrassed by my Trace incident. When I came back from my trip and was retelling the story to friends/family, they would listen and then stop me going, "Wait?! You actually walked right up to him? Like, to his face?!"
That was one those times when my brain decided to stop working and I went a little crazy.
1998 DoubleTree /2003 Offsite /2003 Offsite /2004 Offsite /2004 Offsite /2010 Shades of Green/2011 All Star Sports/2011 Disney Magic/Pop/2012 ASSp/2012 ASMo/2012 Day Trip/2013 Pop/2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge

Current Reports: Why, My Little Guppy Has Groupies!- A December 2013 TR
Past Reports:December 2013 PTR/May 2012 TR/May 2012 PTR /May 2011 TR /December 2010 TR
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-25-2011, 12:29 PM   #93
amazingact21
Upendi

Magic kingdom Arrival!

Finally! The morning I could go to the one and only Magic Kingdom had arrived! I had been teased by the castle's silhouette in the distance long enough. After 6 years, I was going to step foot inside the magical land and see the castle up close.

Since DBF and I stayed out really late at Hollywood Studios, we slept in pretty late. We took our time getting ready, not in a huge hurry. This was going to be our "take it easy" day, and I didn't want to start it off by rushing.

We reached the TTC center at 10:45-ish. It was packed!

Wanting a change of pace, I asked DBF if we could take the ferry to MK.

It was a dumb idea on my part. The weather wasn't as cold as the previous day, but the wind was really bad.
Taking the ferry only made the wind worse; we spent the entire ride shivering and hiding behind the people in front of us.

Despite being frozen to death, the trip reaped us rewards. We were able to watch Space Mountain, the train station, and the castle loom closer.

I kept whispering to DBF. "Look! We are going there! We are about to go on Space Mountain!"

We docked and walked to the bag check and ticket turnstiles and spotted MK's Christmas tree.

Magic Kingdom was packed!!! Oh man, it was wall to wall people. DBF and I had been extremely fortunate our first two days, because we had not encountered horrendous crowds. But we made up for it at MK.

I have never seen the park that busy before, even in the middle of the summer, during tourist season.
Here's a picture to give you an idea of how busy it was:

Immediately after we walked onto Main Street, there was a cast member directing us to the sidewalk. Unknowingly, we had arrived right as this parade was occurring:

Good timing, considering it got DBF and me moving and singing and took our minds off of the overwhelming crowds.

The parade was cute; we got to see some of our favorite characters such as Sebastian and Woody. This was also our first parade we'd seen on the trip, and I was glad that we could catch at least one. I agree that they're more geared for children, but I enjoyed feeling like a child watching the floats pass us.

After the parade, DBF and I took some photos in front of the castle.

We had an adventure there. Since the streets were so crowded, we found it was difficult to back up enough to snap a picture. The second DBF stepped back, a huge crowd would fill the gap, trying to get their own pictures of the castle.

We also recieved a lot of peeved looks from people walking. They were very unhappy that we stopped moving, causing them to swerve out of the way.

Needless to say, DBF and I scrammed from Main Street as fast as we could.

Got the pictures? Good, let's go, quick!

We were headed straight to Tomorrowland, opting to gaze and give the castle googly eyes later when the crowds had thinned out.

We made it to the edge of the spoke where the entrance to Tomorrowland was when out of nowhere a show began on the castle stage.

Naturally, I made DBF stop and watch. He had brought his long range lens with him that day, so he attached it to his camera and concentrated on taking photos while I watched on with giddiness.

The show had princesses dancing, which made me feel all girly.

And it had pirates....which made me even happier.

And of course, what would a show be without a malicious villian?

Okay, enough of this. I'm not 12 anymore. I need to concentrate.

DBF and I walked away from the show shortly before it finished. As much as I would have loved to stayed and discussed the performance with DBF (Did you see Cinderella?!?! And Peter Pan! Oh, I love Peter! Don't you wish we could've been taken to Neverland? And...) I knew we had to get going.

We'd slept away our morning and we had a lot to do that afternoon. The day had arrived to ride Thunder Mountain for the first time! (This was the only Disney ride I'd NEVER rode on before.)

It was going to be an exciting day. I mean, it's not every day that you experience your last first time on a ride.....

But before frontiering the old thunder mountain, we had to take care of some business in a space mountain.
1998 DoubleTree /2003 Offsite /2003 Offsite /2004 Offsite /2004 Offsite /2010 Shades of Green/2011 All Star Sports/2011 Disney Magic/Pop/2012 ASSp/2012 ASMo/2012 Day Trip/2013 Pop/2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge

Past Reports:December 2013 PTR/May 2012 TR/May 2012 PTR /May 2011 TR /December 2010 TR
Old 03-26-2011, 12:30 PM   #94
DisneyAsh32
Mouseketeer

Your Trace Adkins story is hilarious. It honestly sounds like something I would do. lol. And I can't wait to hear about the rest of your day at MK. I've never ridden space mountain before, so I want to hear what you think about it.

A June 2011 PTR!!!

1994/Offsite * July 2002/All Star Sports * June 2009/All Star sports * June 2010/Offsite * June 2011/Coronado Springs * Dec 2013-Jan 2014/All Star Movies *
Old 03-26-2011, 03:02 PM   #95
PirateKate
DIS Veteran

What a great night at the Studios! I love RnRC in the front row. Sadly, we very seldom wait for it, but when we do, it's fabulous.

Magic Kingdom looks awfully crowded. And that ferry boat can be very cold when the wind is blowing just right. Even with the cold and the crowds, I bet it was really exciting to be back in the Magic Kingdom after so many years.

How fun, a chance to run the Everest 5K! I love it when you get to go back sooner than you expected to. I'm actually going to be at Disney at the same time, May 5th-9th. Jeremy has to go to Jacksonville on business, and one thing led to another, and I decided to take the boys to Disney for a few days. Have you started trying to get ADRs yet? I've been pleasantly surprised by how many decent restaurants are still available.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:02 AM   #96
robin19871
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingact21 View Post
It was freezing that night!!! I know for my stay, it was definitely the coldest night.

I was so embarrassed by my Trace incident. When I came back from my trip and was retelling the story to friends/family, they would listen and then stop me going, "Wait?! You actually walked right up to him? Like, to his face?!"
That was one those times when my brain decided to stop working and I went a little crazy.
I know what you mean about wanting to say hi to someone you admire.(Trace) Two of my friends are on TV shows and movies and they said its nice to meet people when they are at events however they dislike it when they are having time with their families..( I was born and raised in California with a lot of friends and family in the enteretainment buisness.) I learned one thing about the MK.If you get there at rope drop then you can usually do all the big attractions in the first 3 hours..
Old 03-28-2011, 06:55 AM   #97
amazingact21
Upendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyAsh32 View Post
Your Trace Adkins story is hilarious. It honestly sounds like something I would do. lol. And I can't wait to hear about the rest of your day at MK. I've never ridden space mountain before, so I want to hear what you think about it.

Oh, you should definitely give Space Mountain a try when you go in June. A heads up, though, the right side feels a little more jerky than the left. However, it also feels more like a "roller-coaster."

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateKate View Post
What a great night at the Studios! I love RnRC in the front row. Sadly, we very seldom wait for it, but when we do, it's fabulous.

Magic Kingdom looks awfully crowded. And that ferry boat can be very cold when the wind is blowing just right. Even with the cold and the crowds, I bet it was really exciting to be back in the Magic Kingdom after so many years.

How fun, a chance to run the Everest 5K! I love it when you get to go back sooner than you expected to. I'm actually going to be at Disney at the same time, May 5th-9th. Jeremy has to go to Jacksonville on business, and one thing led to another, and I decided to take the boys to Disney for a few days. Have you started trying to get ADRs yet? I've been pleasantly surprised by how many decent restaurants are still available.

It was very exciting to return to Magic Kingdom. I had the largest grin on my face the whole day.
How exciting! A mom and sons trip. I bet you are going to have a blast spending some quality time with your boys at Disney.

And I was completely surprised when I checked the dining reservations and saw all the openings! Initially, DBF and I were going to do the quick-service dining plan, because I didn't think there'd be any open ADRs this late in the game, but I checked this past Saturday and we're reconsidering.

Have you made any? I remember from your past PTR that you've gone to Disney in May before. How'd you like it compared to other times of the year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin19871 View Post
I know what you mean about wanting to say hi to someone you admire.(Trace) Two of my friends are on TV shows and movies and they said its nice to meet people when they are at events however they dislike it when they are having time with their families..( I was born and raised in California with a lot of friends and family in the enteretainment buisness.) I learned one thing about the MK.If you get there at rope drop then you can usually do all the big attractions in the first 3 hours..
I still feel bad about walking up to him on accident. I knew he was just trying to let his daughter enjoy some Disney time while they were there. Hopefully, I didn't annoy them too much.
Before my trip, I'd read about getting to MK at rope drop, but I was just too tired to get up that early. However, if I ever go again, I will be sure to follow this method, because we missed a lot of ride time due to us getting there so late.

Last edited by amazingact21; 03-28-2011 at 07:01 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:47 PM   #98
PirateKate
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingact21 View Post
It was very exciting to return to Magic Kingdom. I had the largest grin on my face the whole day.
How exciting! A mom and sons trip. I bet you are going to have a blast spending some quality time with your boys at Disney.

And I was completely surprised when I checked the dining reservations and saw all the openings! Initially, DBF and I were going to do the quick-service dining plan, because I didn't think there'd be any open ADRs this late in the game, but I checked this past Saturday and we're reconsidering.

Have you made any? I remember from your past PTR that you've gone to Disney in May before. How'd you like it compared to other times of the year?
I've got lunch at Yak and Yeti, dinners at Kona Cafe and Whispering Canyon Cafe, and of course, Kona Cafe breakfast. We're thinking of Beaches & Cream, too. Jeremy's going to drive down and meet us for the last two nights, so that will be really nice.

I like Disney in May. A large draw is the Flower and Garden Festival. I always like to see that, and May is a nice alternative to going to Spring Break Season. Last year, it was crazy hot, which at times was a bit of a nuisance. After the cold in December though, the heat in May really doesn't seem that bad.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:13 AM   #99
amazingact21
Upendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateKate View Post
I've got lunch at Yak and Yeti, dinners at Kona Cafe and Whispering Canyon Cafe, and of course, Kona Cafe breakfast. We're thinking of Beaches & Cream, too. Jeremy's going to drive down and meet us for the last two nights, so that will be really nice.

I like Disney in May. A large draw is the Flower and Garden Festival. I always like to see that, and May is a nice alternative to going to Spring Break Season. Last year, it was crazy hot, which at times was a bit of a nuisance. After the cold in December though, the heat in May really doesn't seem that bad.

Beaches and Cream sounds wonderful. I really want to do a Kona breakfast, but my DBF is really picky, and I don't think he'd like Tonga Toast. I showed him pictures of the food, and he kinda cringed and suggested I wait for another trip.

That's nice that your husband's gonna catch up with you guys. Gives you a chance to spend some time with your kids, and then get some time with the whole family. Plus, I'm sure extra pair of helping hands by the end of the trip will be nice.

I agree with the December statement. My one condition for our next trip was we had to go when it was warm! I have anticipated it being hot, but this trip is mostly a short, relaxing get-away so I don't forsee us spending all day in the parks. Maybe the heat will give me the excuse I need to be lazy by the pool all afternoon.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:29 AM   #100
amazingact21
Upendi

Confused at Magic Kingdom:

DBF and I entered Tomorrowland, excited to see what lay inside the world.

Immediately, we passed Stitch's Great Escape and saw that it had a fairly long wait. 30 minutes. Obviously, there were a lot of people who'd never been on the ride before.

We made it to Space Mountain and saw that the wait time was 60 minutes. Hmmm, it was our first attraction of the day, I was fresh on my feet, but I wasn't willing to wait that long. So we hopped into the fastpass line and retrieved two tickets with a return time of 4:45 and 5:45.

Several hours away.

Well....Space Mountain was taken care of.

What next?

"Let's walk over to Frontierland and see how the crowds are over there."

As we were walking, I passed by a snack stand and realized I had yet to eat a premium Mickey ice cream bar!

Yes, it was 11 o'clock in the morning.

And yes, it was about 40 degrees out.

No, I did not care.

As I was munching down on my delicious snack, I recieved some funny looks from guests walking by. They probably thought I was insane, eating a cold dessert when my fingers were half frozen.

I chose to ignore them, and looked around at the beautiful scenery.

While I was thinking how nice the Jungle cruise must be when it's warmer out, I looked over at DBF was taking photos of....

a bird.

Here we were, at Disney World, and my DBF was interested in capturing a photograph of a bird.

At least he was enjoying himself....that was all that mattered.

Finishing the ice cream, I asked DBF if we could go on Thunder Mountain. I had realized by that point that the lines were never going to ease up, so I wanted to knock the one attraction I had to do out first.

Taking a quick pit stop at the Splash Mtn restroom, we got in line for Thunder Mountain. The line was past the entrance area and was extended to the sidewalks.

The wait time was listed at 60 minutes.

Time to test out our patience...

Old 03-29-2011, 10:22 AM   #101
DisneyAsh32
Mouseketeer

What a cliff hanger. lol I hope you make it through that long wait!

Mickey Ice Cream bars are my favorite. I have to have at least one every time I go.

And I can't believe I missed the post about you doing the Eversest 5k. That is so exciting!!! You'll be back in Disney in no time. Have you started training for the run yet?

A June 2011 PTR!!!

1994/Offsite * July 2002/All Star Sports * June 2009/All Star sports * June 2010/Offsite * June 2011/Coronado Springs * Dec 2013-Jan 2014/All Star Movies *
Old 03-29-2011, 11:32 AM   #102
3princesses+aprince
DIS Veteran

I'm loving your TR can't wait to read the rest. We may be going in December and the cold is what I am worried about. I mean we live up north, so we have winters that have temps in the negatives, so 40 isn't too bad for us, but I also have 4 kids, so i'm thinking .....so much to pack.... But the Osbourne lights video was great, that looks amazing. We're looking forward to seeing that if we go in December.

Our very magical, very first trip to Disney World!!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2182745

Come check out my Pre Trip Report, May 09
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2066680
Old 03-29-2011, 11:43 AM   #103
robin19871
DIS Veteran

Your picky food eater BF sounds like my picky food eater 11 year old son.. I am forcing Ohana on him this year because he is too old for kids meals and I have been dying to eat there.. I have to ask, Did you only use one camera on this trip? Great Pictures, but I have never brought anything larger than a point and shoot because I did not want to carry it around.. How did you deal with yours on the rides?
Old 03-29-2011, 03:08 PM   #104
amazingact21
Upendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyAsh32 View Post
What a cliff hanger. lol I hope you make it through that long wait!

Mickey Ice Cream bars are my favorite. I have to have at least one every time I go.

And I can't believe I missed the post about you doing the Eversest 5k. That is so exciting!!! You'll be back in Disney in no time. Have you started training for the run yet?

The ice cream bars are delicious! I agree with you; I have to grab one while I'm there.

Yes, I have began training. I'm trying the Couch to 5K program, and it seems to be working for me. I began Week 3 yesterday, and am up to running a total of 9 minutes. I know it doesn't sound like much, but if I stick to the plan I should be running for 2.75 miles by race day.
My biggest aggrevation is that I have a bad knee. The first two weeks of training, it didn't flare up, but after yesterday's run it's been bugging me. So, it might be a very slow 5K for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3princesses+aprince View Post
I'm loving your TR can't wait to read the rest. We may be going in December and the cold is what I am worried about. I mean we live up north, so we have winters that have temps in the negatives, so 40 isn't too bad for us, but I also have 4 kids, so i'm thinking .....so much to pack.... But the Osbourne lights video was great, that looks amazing. We're looking forward to seeing that if we go in December.

Thanks for reading! Going to Disney in December is definitely a different experience than other times of the year. It mostly depends on how long you want to stay at the parks and how much you're willing to carry around. During the morning, day, and evening a long sleeved shirt, pants, and jacket were fine. DBF and I never even took our coats off, so we didn't have to carry them around. At night, though, it got cold, and we had to lug around a throw blanket. It was only one extra item, but it meant we had to pack a bag and roll/unroll the blanket a few times.
So, I can only imagine with 4 kids how hectic it'd be.

That being said...it's worth the extra work, in my opinion. There are just so many "extras" that go on during the holidays that seperate that month from other Disney months. So, I am hoping that you get to go and will be sure to keep a lookout for a TR (if you choose to write one) if you do go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin19871 View Post
Your picky food eater BF sounds like my picky food eater 11 year old son.. I am forcing Ohana on him this year because he is too old for kids meals and I have been dying to eat there.. I have to ask, Did you only use one camera on this trip? Great Pictures, but I have never brought anything larger than a point and shoot because I did not want to carry it around.. How did you deal with yours on the rides?
Picky eaters can make the process of choosing ADRs difficult. I hope your DS doesn't give you too much grief for going to Ohana's. Hopefully, even if there's nothing really appealing for him on the menu, he'll enjoy the atmopshere. I love visiting/eating at the Polynesian just for the scenery and the location.

DBF and I brought two cameras on the trip. I brought mine, which is just a small digital camera. (It's a Nikon Coolpix S210)
DBF brought his Sony a330 camera, with a short range and long range lens.

My little point and shoot camera went into one of the pockets of my messenger bag, and I never even noticed it. DBF and I took turns carrying the Sony around our necks.

Whenever we went on rides, especially roller coasters, we put the big camera in my bag that way it did not get bumped around on the bars or seats of the ride.

We chose to bring both, because my camera is good for candid shots, like when we just wanted to goof around or try and get a picture with both of us in it. And we chose to use DBF's camera for all the parades, shows, fireworks, etc.

Lugging around that huge camera did get really annoying, but DBF was good about holding on to it.

Last edited by amazingact21; 03-29-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:09 PM   #105
DisneyAsh32
Mouseketeer

Quote:
The ice cream bars are delicious! I agree with you; I have to grab one while I'm there.

Yes, I have began training. I'm trying the Couch to 5K program, and it seems to be working for me. I began Week 3 yesterday, and am up to running a total of 9 minutes. I know it doesn't sound like much, but if I stick to the plan I should be running for 2.75 miles by race day.
My biggest aggrevation is that I have a bad knee. The first two weeks of training, it didn't flare up, but after yesterday's run it's been bugging me. So, it might be a very slow 5K for me.

Yeah, I did the couch to 5K program too. It definitely helps you ease into running. When I started, I looked at the last week and thought there was no way that I was going to be doing that, but the changes are so gradual that adding a couple of minutes here and there really goes a long way. I Hope your knee doesn't cause you too many problems. I know that can be painful.

A June 2011 PTR!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: