Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2011, 02:33 PM   #46
PirateKate
DIS Veteran

I fell for the old bitter Italian coffee trick before too. It looks like a very gloomy day, but at least it kept the crowds away. I'm glad you got to ride the Maelstrom twice!
Old 01-21-2011, 03:10 PM   #47
mermaid764
DIS Veteran

Ugh that sucks that the weather was so cold, especially with the rain, but at least it allowed for you guys to have some nice wait times.

Hopefully you found coffee you could tolerate at some point or another during your trip

Looking forward to more
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-24-2011, 07:08 AM   #48
amazingact21
Upendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateKate View Post
I fell for the old bitter Italian coffee trick before too. It looks like a very gloomy day, but at least it kept the crowds away. I'm glad you got to ride the Maelstrom twice!
I think I'd take another rainy day just to have the parks so empty again. I've never seen so few people around, even during EMH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid764 View Post
Ugh that sucks that the weather was so cold, especially with the rain, but at least it allowed for you guys to have some nice wait times.

Hopefully you found coffee you could tolerate at some point or another during your trip

Looking forward to more

There were a lot more "bad cups" of coffee, but I did eventually find one that was delicious!
1998 DoubleTree /2003 Offsite /2003 Offsite /2004 Offsite /2004 Offsite /2010 Shades of Green/2011 All Star Sports/2011 Disney Magic/Pop/2012 ASSp/2012 ASMo/2012 Day Trip/2013 Pop/2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge

Current Reports: Why, My Little Guppy Has Groupies!- A December 2013 TR
Past Reports:December 2013 PTR/May 2012 TR/May 2012 PTR /May 2011 TR /December 2010 TR
Old 01-28-2011, 01:36 PM   #49
amazingact21
Upendi

Epcot Part 4

I apologize for taking so long to update. My life has been hectic lately, but hopefully here soon it'll calm down a little bit. I hope I didn't lose all my readers!

Test Track and Sunshine

DBF and I left WS and traveled to Test Track. Thankfully, it had reopened. The wait time said 25 minutes, so DBF and I jumped in line. It wasn't walk-on, but it wasn't horrendously crowded, either. I think we made it to the area where they section you off into the viewing rooms before we hit any lines.

After the introductory video and while we were waiting for a car, they had a minor "technical difficulty" that was resolved in about ten minutes. I would say that was the longest part of the entire attraction.

CMs worked out the kinks and DBF and I shuffled our way to a car. This was DBF's first time on TT and he was anxious to see what it was like.

During the first part of the ride, I could tell he wasn't incredibly thrilled with it. He was having fun with the cones and the brake tests, but I knew he thought I had exaggerated on the "thrill" part.

This boy doubted all my claims...

We made it to the last part of the ride, and I didn't think DBF's smile could get any bigger. He was grinning from ear to ear, jumping out of the car at the end going, "That was amazing!"

FINALLY!!!!

DBF was truly enjoying Disney World.

It only took me four attractions, one meal, and five countries to get DBF hit with some pixie dust.

He was still happy as a clam when we were in the exit area.

I took him back outside and discovered something wonderful. The rain had stopped.

Sunshine was peaking through the clouds.

Not a lot.

But enough to indicate that the rain was finally gone for good.

I looked back at the wait time for TT and saw that it had gone up to 50 minutes. I didn't really want to wait around that long, but I knew DBF would really enjoy doing the attraction again. Preparing myself, I threw the offer out to DBF and he immediately walked back into the line.

As we approached the entrance, a CM held out one of those red time cards.

"Excuse me, m'am, would you mind holding onto this time card?"

DBF looked at her, confused.

"What's a time car-"

"IT'S WHERE THEY SEE THE WAIT TIME SILLY!"

I am not sure why, but I practically yelled the purpose to DBF. I guess I was really excited to be picked, and I was especially proud that I knew what it was used for.

The CM thought I was hilarious. She began laughing and nodding her head.

"That's right. I'm glad I chose you two."

As I said, I got way too excited over a time card.

I'm easily amused.

This time around, the wait really was 50 minutes. It took a long time, and I got to know the queque are way too well. But Dbf enjoyed himself even more the second time around, and that made the whole thing worth it.

Since the rain was gone, we figured it'd be safe to get our items out of the locker.
During our whole trip, we only made a few big mistakes. Fortunately, the majority of them occured on our first day. Unfortunately, this one cost us money.

When we were in the locker area... (I wanted to say locker room, but it just sounded weird, even though that's what it was. Still, images of my middle school p.e. class popped into my head when I wrote that down. And that is not a very Disney-esq picture to conjure up.) I saw a dropbox for the locker keys and said to myself, "Hey! Perfect place to toss our key now that we're done."

Urrrgggghhhhhh.

I don't know why my mind decided to stop working at that moment. I knew we put a deposit down on the locker. I can vividly remember reading about lockers on the DIS board.

That little fact about getting our 5 dollar deposit back slipped right out of my mind, though, and caused us to pay 12 dollars for a locker we used for half a day.

Oh well....

Test Track made us hungry (it was about 3 o'clock) so we hit up an ice cream store. I bought a hot fudge sundae and DBF got a mint chocolate chip cone. Both were delicious, although I wasn't a fan of the cone.

Our bellies full from ice cream, we decided to stroll back over to the WS, starting on the opposite side, this time.

As we were walking past the decorated hedges, I thought I heard someone say my name.

Weird.

Then I heard it again.

I looked up at DBF and saw he was looking at me, wondering the same thing I was. Who was calling my name at Epcot?

I scanned my eyes and lo' and behold, there was the person calling out to me!

An old friend from college!

I met this friend three years ago when I was freshman and she was a junior. We were introduced through a mutual friend. Amusingly enough, that mutual friend was DBF's ex and my old high school friend.
Well, naturally, when I began dating DBF, my friend and I decided it'd be best to go our seperate ways. Due to that, the girl I ran into at Epcot and I drifted apart.

Confused?
I don't blame you.

I hadn't talked to this girl in a few years, so it was a big shock to reconnect at Epcot. In a place that is so big, what're the chances two former college friends decide to go to Disney on the same day, to the same park, and be at the same place at the same exact time?

We were both pretty surprised, so we stopped and went through formalities for a bit. How're you? Still in the same major? Talked to so-and-so lately?

We parted ways after about five minutes, and DBF and I stopped to take some pictures and recover from our shock.

Photos were snapped, "can you believe that's" were exhanged, and DBF and I continued on our merry way back to the WS.

Our moods were much brighter and we were more than ready to finish up the last part of our Epcot day.

Up next...I have a minor meltdown and we both see Thomas Freaking Gibson!!!
1998 DoubleTree /2003 Offsite /2003 Offsite /2004 Offsite /2004 Offsite /2010 Shades of Green/2011 All Star Sports/2011 Disney Magic/Pop/2012 ASSp/2012 ASMo/2012 Day Trip/2013 Pop/2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge

Past Reports:December 2013 PTR/May 2012 TR/May 2012 PTR /May 2011 TR /December 2010 TR
Old 01-28-2011, 02:17 PM   #50
ChildAtHeart82
DIS Veteran

Great update! I'm glad things finally started going your way. Sorry about the locker.

March 2012 TR October 2012 PTR
Mar 2012: Coronado Springs; Mar 2011: French Quarter; Dec 2010: Port Orleans French Quarter; Oct 2008: All Star Movies - Disneymoon; June 2005: Pop Century; July 2004: Offsite; 1993: Contemporary; 1992: DL (offsite); 1991: Offsite; 1989: DL (offsite); 1987: DL (offsite)
Old 01-28-2011, 04:41 PM   #51
DisneyAsh32
Mouseketeer

Yay for the rain stopping! Test Track is one of my favorite rides as well but it is kind of decieving. All you see is cars going super fast outside so when you first ride it and are going through all of the test you're like what is this?

A June 2011 PTR!!!

1994/Offsite * July 2002/All Star Sports * June 2009/All Star sports * June 2010/Offsite * June 2011/Coronado Springs * Dec 2013-Jan 2014/All Star Movies *
Old 01-30-2011, 10:04 PM   #52
PirateKate
DIS Veteran

So weird, seeing someone you used to know at Disney World. I've heard stories about things like that happening. It's never happened to me, though. Just as well. My Disney World and my real world shouldn't really mix.

So glad the sun came out for you and Test Track was fun.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:02 PM   #53
amazingact21
Upendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildAtHeart82 View Post
Great update! I'm glad things finally started going your way. Sorry about the locker.
The locker was disappointing, but now that we've made the mistake once, it'll never happen again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyAsh32 View Post
Yay for the rain stopping! Test Track is one of my favorite rides as well but it is kind of decieving. All you see is cars going super fast outside so when you first ride it and are going through all of the test you're like what is this?
The first time I rode TT, I thought the outside was just a gimick to get people on. I kept thinking to myself, "Are we ever going outside?" "We're going through all these different temps, we must never leave the building."

Quote:
So weird, seeing someone you used to know at Disney World. I've heard stories about things like that happening. It's never happened to me, though. Just as well. My Disney World and my real world shouldn't really mix.

So glad the sun came out for you and Test Track was fun.

It was so strange running into someone I knew! When I am at WDW, I like to believe that I have left reality and am in my own world. So recognizing a familiar face kind of jarred me out of my vacation fantasy world for a bit. It was almost like I was getting a little reminder. "Hey, you, you with the happy face...have fun on Test Track, but just remember you have to go back to classes and work and life soon."

Last edited by amazingact21; 01-31-2011 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:39 PM   #54
amazingact21
Upendi

Epcot Part 5

Touring the World Showcase and Listening to the Candlelight Processional

DBF and I began our WS viewing at Canada this time and moved on to the UK.

Since the rain had stopped, the crowd levels were getting worse. Our near-empty park experience was coming to an end in a manner of minutes.

By the time we got to the UK, we were receiving elbows in the ribs and stroller wheels on our toes.

Ironically enough, the best photograph I have of that area makes the place look like a ghost town.

Then again, that was taken on our way out of Canada, and the amount of people in the park went from 0 to 1000s. It felt as if I blinked and the scenery around me changed.

I don't mean to sound complaining; I really don't have a problem with a really crowded park. I was more in shock at how fast it happened. Like, clusters of people just popped out of the ground in front of my eyes.

I wiggled my away around in the UK, taking in all the shops and architecture. I love everything about the United Kingdom, and I wanted to enjoy the atmosphere as much as I could.

Anyone who's ever been to Epcot understands that it's hard....no, impossible, to see everything in one day; therefore, DBF and I had to pick and choose what we wanted to stop and enjoy. His was Test Track and mine was the UK pavilion. This really was the only country we were able to visit for a good length of time.

Before I knew it, DBF and I were moving along to France. We managed to stumble upon the end of Pere Noel's Christmas story.

Hearing one of the Christmas's Around the World stories really cheered me up. I was afraid that the rain had cancelled all the shows, but I got lucky and caught one.

It seems like it is a tradition for me to only hear one speaker each time I go, though.

This time it was Pere Noel.

The last time I visited (back in '04) I only heard the Santa Claus from Scotland. I wish I knew his specific name, but it was six years ago...my memory isn't that great.

I had planned on hearing more, but after realizing my "1 Santa story" quota, I kind of enjoyed making that a new rule.

It gives me the perfect excuse to plan more WDW vacations.

Once the performance ended, DBF and I walked towards the American pavilion and we saw the lines had started to form for the first CP show. It was about 3:45, maybe a little later, and previously I had told DBF we were going to try and see the second show at 6.

However...

I was tired and wet and cold.

We'd been at the park the entire day and on our feet the whole time.

I began a small panic attack, because all the horror stories I'd read on the DIS boards about not getting a seat popped into my head.

"Alex, look at the crowd already. We're not going to get a good seat later tonight."

I couldn't see DBF roll his eyes, but I'm sure he did.

"Okay, well, what do you want to do?"

"We're going to have to go ahead and start waiting. But it's going to be a really long wait."

DBF looked at me and replied, "Well.....we could skip it."

WHAT?!?!?!?!

If I wasn't so tired and cold, I wouldn't have gotten so upset so quickly. But because I was, I started to get all teary-eyed and walked away to a nearby bathroom.

When you're mad at your DBF at WDW, the easiest and most efficient way to get away is make a restroom run.

The only issue with that is you can't stay in the bathroom forever.

I walked out and DBF swooped down on me. He knew the second he suggested the idea that it was a mistake.
To try and remedy the situation, he urged me to get in line RIGHT THEN.

As I mentioned before, the cold and sleepiness had a lot to do with my "almost-meltdown." I was also upset because we'd been planning to see this show for so long.

I remember the day I found out about who was going to narrate the CP during our visit.

You see....

While DBF was deployed, he watched a lot of tv shows and movies and read a lot of books.

But really, what else is there to do? You're confined to a military instillation and work 12 hours a day, 6 days a week. There's AIM, but with the time zones, you're lucky to catch a loved one on-line. (Unless you're me and wake up an hour early so you can talk before work. If crawling out of bed at 4a.m. to turn on a computer isn't love, I don't know what is.)

Whew, I am getting way off-topic here. Bringing it back, DBF was always on the lookout for something to watch while he was gone. I have been a fan of the show Criminal Minds since its first season.

I sent Season 1 and 2 to him and he became a fan as well. After he got back, we watched the last few seasons together, because it allowed us to relax at home and enjoy being together for the first time in months.

So when I saw the main actor in the show, Thomas Gibson, was going to be the narrator, I became ridiculously excited.

How perfect that DBF and I go on a vacation to celebrate his return from a deployment and see an actor that kept DBF sane while he was out there.

I had a lot of heart put into the CP, and DBF gave me a huge let down by suggesting we skip it.

It all worked out in the end, though. We waited in line.

And waited in line.

Since we couldn't move, we made ourselves comfortable on the sidewalk.

DBF messed around with the camera.

I played Bejeweld and Angry Birds.

DBF messed around some more with his camera.

I yelled at him, because the batteries were depleting fast and I wanted to get a picture of Thomas Gibson.

DBF took over the game playing.

I got on Facebook and chatted with my mother for a bit.

FINALLY the time to get a seat rolled around. We were pretty far back in line, and the CM sat us near the back right smack in between a pole and a tree.

I did some scooching and DBF and I were able to get a comfortable view between the two.

The whole event was magnificent. I loved watching the lights dim and change to reflect the mood and to signal where to focus one's attention.
The carols and hymns put me in a very festive mood; I even caught myself singing a few of them.

There is nothing like hearing a live performance. The lights, sights, and sounds sweep you away and things like time and planning are forgotten.
Hearing the story firsthand emanating from surrounding speakers, literally feeling the bass in your chest....well, if that can't put you in the festive mood, I don't know what can.

Naturally, DBF's and my favorite part was Thomas:

I recorded parts of the show, but they have become lost in the various transfers to laptops, computers, and other memory cards. Bringing two cameras and having two different kinds came in handy, but it turned into such a pain when I began to try to organize the photos.

Before anyone knew it, the show was over and we had to leave.
I felt like we'd taken a hundred photos of the procession, but DBF had to snap one more photo during a later show.

Up next... DBF and I grab a quick bite, and I fall asleep in The American Adventure

Old 02-02-2011, 07:42 PM   #55
luckylady
DIS Veteran

Ohhh man Thomas Gibson, Darma and Greg. Oh what a hot man then and now. So glad you got to se CP it's a great show.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:41 PM   #56
PirateKate
DIS Veteran

I am going to go ahead and admit that until reading your post and making use of Google, I had not the slightest idea who Thomas Gibson is. I've never watched Dharma and Greg or Criminal Minds or Eyes Wide Shut.

Candlelight Processional looked cool, though. Maybe I will see it someday when the boys are older. Too bad Epcot was so crowded.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:36 AM   #57
amazingact21
Upendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylady View Post
Ohhh man Thomas Gibson, Darma and Greg. Oh what a hot man then and now. So glad you got to se CP it's a great show.

I won't lie, Thomas Gibson wasn't hard to look at during the CP.

Quote:
I am going to go ahead and admit that until reading your post and making use of Google, I had not the slightest idea who Thomas Gibson is. I've never watched Dharma and Greg or Criminal Minds or Eyes Wide Shut.

Candlelight Processional looked cool, though. Maybe I will see it someday when the boys are older. Too bad Epcot was so crowded.

You should definitely take your boys there when they are older, even if you don't wait in the lines for a seat and just stop and watch it for a few minutes during your WS tour.

And Thomas Gibson is one of those names where you either know him or have no idea who he is. There's no "I think I've heard of him before" with him. LOL. When I was telling people about the CP, they would look at me with an expression that said "I don't who in the world you are talking about, but glad you had a good time!"

Old 02-09-2011, 03:56 PM   #58
amazingact21
Upendi

Epcot Part 6

I had planned on updating yesterday, but I had an eye exam and trying to type with dilated pupils is an impossibility. Therefore, I apologize for the (once again) long time between posts.

The Final Epcot Post!

DBF and I figured we needed to grab a bite to eat after the CP, so we went inside Liberty Inn and split a chicken strip basket, and here is a fun fact for everyone reading along: I love honey mustard sauce.

I eat it with almost everything.

And I have to say, the one at Liberty Inn was pretty good.

Better than I expected, actually.

After I ate my half of chicken and fries, I began to regret not getting my own meal.

The food itself wasn't earth-shattering, but as far as CS goes, I'd eat there again in a heart beat.

With dinner knocked out, I suggested we go inside to the American Adventure, because I knew it would be warm.

With the sun gone and the wind having picked up, it was pretty darn chilly out. My poor wet feet were screaming at me, "Heat! These little piggies need heat!!!"

The waiting area provided us a nice place to relax, sit down, and stare at the various decorations

Ten or fifteen minutes after we found our cozy spot, the CMs released the rope and let us inside the theater.

It was about six thirty, so there was only about two dozen other people filing in to watch the show.

DBF and I found a seat right in the middle, about seven rows back.

I looked around.

The theater was so big.

The seats were so comfy .

The curtains were so heavy.

Everything looked so warm and cozy.

UH OH!

I caught myself stifling a yawn.
Stop that, you've got five more hours to party left.

Then they cut off the lights...

NO NO NO NO

Mark Twain started talking, and his southern twang somehow caused my eyes to become heavy.

Concentrate, Alicia

I sat up straighter in my chair, hoping my fatigue would disappear with good posture.

I might've made it, too, if DBF hadn't decided to put his arm around me. Instinctually, I slouched back down and laid my head on his shoulder.

Hmmm, maybe I could close my eyes for a second...

The next thing I knew, the big finale song was playing, and DBF was looking at me.

"Have a nice nap?"

"Yes."

We both left the attraction laughing uncontrollably. I could not believe I had just fallen asleep during a show.

I asked DBF how he knew I was sleeping. I mean, if I was going to doze off, the least I could have done was be covert about it.

He explained to me that his arm was starting to fall asleep, so he was going to pull it back, but when he looked over he noticed my eyes appeared closed.

"I placed my hand in front of your face and held it there for a couple seconds, and you didn't notice at all."

Oops.

Still laughing, we strolled along the WS until we made it to a nice spot between France and the UK. There was an empty viewing area for IllumiNations.

It was only 7:30 (the show wouldn't start for another 2 hours) but I could not walk another foot.

We parked ourselves in front of the railing and tried to get comfortable on the concrete.
I was missing the American Adventure chairs.

We passed the time by making bathroom runs, calling our loved ones and catching up, and playing games on our phones. And, naturally, we took pictures.

The only downside to sitting on the concrete next to the water was how cold it was. DBF had double layers on, so he was not that uncomfortable.

I was a popsicle.

I took DBF's poncho and sat on it.

I took mine and used it as a blanket. It did not work very well, but it was better than nothing.

9:30 arrived and IllumiNations began.

The show was wonderful, as always. From our seats, we couldn't hear the music, but the lights and fireworks were enough to entertain us.

I forgot from when I watched it six years ago how enthralling the fire on the water and the laser lights are.
I also forgot how big the finale is.

The fireworks just kept going.

And going.

And going.

Just when I didn't think they could add any more bang and boom, they shot off one more set...for good measure.

As soon as the show was over, we joined the after-IllumiNations mob and headed towards the exits.

A quick photo while leaving the WS:

Big mistake # 2 of the day/night occured as we made it to the exit. It was late, late, late by this point (somewhere between 10:30 and 11:30) and I was zombie walking.

I didn't even notice when DBF dragged me to the bus area wayyyyy far away.

DBF thought there was a SoG bus.

He stopped a CM and asked where it was, and then he was informed the only way to get back to our resort was the monorail.

If I was even partially awake, I would've forewarned DBF that this was the case, but my mind was only thinking about my soft bed awaiting me.

DBF herded me against the masses migrating to the buses and back to the Epcot entrance, where the ramp to the express monorail was.

Unfortunately, our little setback landed us right in the middle of the monorail crowds.
We waited five or ten minutes for an open monorail, and when we did get one DBF was thrilled it was the TRON one.

This is the best pic I got. Blame weariness.

We made it to the TTC and waited another fifteen, twenty minutes for a SoG bus.

It was really crowded on the bus, but DBF and I discovered a valubale life lesson on this ride.

We needed to cherish being young and alone.

Every time we needed to hop on a bus or monorail, we could do just that...hop on.

I looked over at DBF.
"You see those parents with the two kids? Remember that...when we start bringing our kids here, the days of jumping on and off buses and not having to worry about keeping up with everything will be over."

I felt bad for families using WDW's transportation system. Even if the adults had the stroller folded up, they had to play the juggling act of holding onto it, holding onto the child, and holding onto their bags.

I saw a lot of parents struggle with their children, especially at night. The kids loved to play the "I DON'T WANNA GET ON THE BUS" game.

I felt guilty being able to just wait for the doors to open and step right up, no worries. But at least I had the good sense to appreciate every moment of it, because I know the day's coming when I am going to lose those extra seconds of time.

Returning to the bus...DBF and I got bumped and moved around for all of three minutes. Then, we were deposited on the front steps of SoG.

Home at last!

With Epcot over, we speed walked our way back to our room. I knew if I slowed down for a second, I'd fall asleep standing.

(A quick side note- If you can remember, in one of my earlier posts, I went on and on about a waterfall staircase SoG had that led to and from the bus stop. Well, those wonderful stone stairs are refreshing first thing in the morning, when you are bouncing down them, perky and attentive, envisioning the attractions that await you.

But when it's 11:30 at night and you've been walking for fifteen hours...climbing up that staircase is a cruel and torteous task.)

DBF and I made it back to our room, plugged our dead camera batteries into their chargers (ensuring there was no blinking light this time), and prepared for bed. My camera battery lasted until halfway through IllumiNations, and DBF's lasted the entire time. Apparently, those low battery icons cannot be trusted. That or we managed to obtain an extra dose of pixie dust that day.

Up next...We start off the morning with another mistake which unintentionally turns into a big payoff at HS.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:31 AM   #59
amazingact21
Upendi

Hollywood Studios Part 1

Hollywood Studios Morning:

The morning of December 19th...

My alarm went off wayyyyy too early.

6:15 a.m.

I rolled out of bed and started my coffee pot.

Please be good, please be good, please be good

No such luck.

My luck did not improve on this third coffee-making attempt. This time, the filter broke...again.

Nothing some coffee with your grounds to wake you up in the morning.

I suffered without coffee once again, woke up DBF, got dressed, ate my breakfast on the deck, and left the room at 7:20a.m.

Ahhh, ahead of the game.

We reached the bus stop and saw two other families waiting around. Better yet, they were huddled together like a family of penguins due to the fact that it was FREEZING out.

DBF and I stood around for a few minutes and watched as three buses arrived and left.

Out of curiousity, I went to the bus information board to see when the HS bus would arrive. The last time I checked, all buses began running at 7:30. Right?

Wrong.

The TTC bus began running at 7:30a.m.

The HS bus would begin running at 8:30a.m.

Oops.

It turned out the other two families made the same mistake as us, so we all stuck around and froze together. They were nice people. DBF and the other men hit it off and babbled about military stuff while I tried to figure out a game plan for the morning.

I was worried that because the bus wouldn't even arrive until 8:30, we wouldn't be dropped off at the park until after it opened at 9. Which meant we'd be behind the TSM flood.

While we were waiting, DBF messed around with the camera. Do we look cold enough?

At 8:30, the bus arrived, and we traveled to DHS.

We got there minutes before the park opened.

This was the best photo DBF got of the entrance tree. I was rushing him and he had to snap and walk at the same time.

Okay, 8:58am, and we'd gotten our bags checked and were sliding our tickets into the machines.

9:00a.m.
We were standing in the entrance area when all of a sudden people around us are running.

I have to admit, I was curious about the TSM mob. I had read dozens of horror stories about it on the DIS boards, but I wanted to understand firsthand what people were talking about.

After all, HS is huge, are there really hundreds of people running across the park?

Oh, yes.

Yes, there are.

People were pushing and shoving each other.

There was a CM standing near the entrance handing out FPs to the Lights, Motor, Action show. I think it was Disney's way of trying to distract guests. Luckily, DBF and I were still in shock over the craziness going on around us that we stopped to grab two of them.

I kept looking around us, thinking to myself, "This is INSANE!" It resembled a huge wave washing over the streets...people were going nuts.

DBF and I began to walk faster, passing people.

Due to watching everyone else rushing, we had begun to get caught up in the mentality and were following suit.

Pretty soon we were power walking.

After we reached the TSM area, I felt ridiculous. I couldn't believe I'd fallen into the craze and was trying to beat the crowds to the attraction.

Our original plan was to get FPs for the ride, but the line was outrageous.

DBF and I decided to just hop in the regular line and wait our turn.

It was a great idea.

The line didn't stop moving until past Mr. Potato Head. There was a mom and dad in front of us with two little boys, and we all shared our amazement at being able to walk onto the ride.

If not having a long line wasn't beautiful enough...

DBF and I reached the area where you grab the 3-D glasses, and a CM appeared out of nowhere asking if there was a 2 person group. By this point the line had stopped moving and we'd been standing still for about five minutes.

DBF and I waited a few seconds but nobody said anything.
So we raised our hands.

The CM ushered us forward. "Great, come with me."

The dad in front of us looked back and said, "Have fun!"

After going on the ride later, we saw that we skipped the part of the waiting line that went under the circus tent and up the stairs and the section where the CM broke people into cars.

The CM took us through another set of rails and brought us to an open car. Ahead of us was a handicapped guest with their family, and they needed to fill up the remaining two seats in a car.

We won that lucky prize.

Neither of us had gone on this ride before, so we weren't 100% sure how to work the shooter. DBF caught on pretty fast, but I had some trouble with mine. The string didn't want to pull back in, and I kept get a message telling me to wait for my string to retract. Fighting with the handle ate up a lot of my time so I didn't shoot as much.

DBF broke 100,000
I got 77,000.

Overall, though, the ride was great. I loved how interactie it was, and I loved that it allowed DBF and I compete against each other.

We left the ride in shock.

This was probably the best sprinkle of pixie dust we received on our entire trip....a walk-on spot on TSM.

The same ride that had a 60 minute wait time when we walked out of it.

I didn't know it then..but that was the beginning of the best day I had at WDW.

Naturally, due to the excitement of the TSM rush and our good fortune, I had to use the restroom and figure out what we were going to do for the rest of the day.

I stopped to take a pic with a poster of the most recent Disney princess

DBF and I used the potty and sat down next to the One Man's Dream attraction.

We checked our phones and saw that it was only 9:15.

Fifteen minutes and we'd already finished the most popular ride at HS.

DBF really wanted to see the Lights, Motor, Action Stunt Show. We'd each come to WDW with one big attraction we wanted to do/see. Mine was Thunder Mtn, DBF's was LMA.

I looked at our FPs and saw that we needed to be at the show at 10:30 to be at the 11 o'clock show, and it was across the park. I debated if we should try to do it or wait until later in the day, because we had an 11:50 ADR at Sci-Fi Dine In to catch.

DBF and I examined the map and figured if the show ended at 11:30 like it was supposed to, we'd have plenty of time to race to our ADR. After all, the two weren't that far apart.

We decided to take the chance and go see it.
Plan formed.

But what to do for the next hour???

Up next: I fall in love with a roller coaster and DBF geeks out over cars and bikes.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:02 PM   #60
PirateKate
DIS Veteran

We did the whole waiting on the ground for Illuminations and freezing thing, too. I think Epcot is the coldest of all the parks.

I do miss those carefree days, when it was just Jeremy and me and we could hop on any bus or boat and it was never a big deal. We actually used to be guests without bags, too. I guess now the trick is to enjoy traveling with the kids, since we will be empty-nesters before we know it.

Sounds like you had a great ride on TSM. I had the same thing happen, with the pull string not going back in all the way. Still easier than Buzz Lightyear, though.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: