Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2011, 12:32 AM   #1
LockShockBarrel
Pudge controls the weather.

Viva Verde! With Pics! UPDATED 5/30!

Ok kiddies, quiet down quiet down and listen up. Hey lady in the back, sit down and zip it, I got a story to tell!!

Here I am with my first ever pre trip report.(although now it's officially a trip report) I'm leaving in 7 days!! I've been counting down officially since day 187. The first whisperings of this trip happened in January 2010, when I first brought up the idea to my best friend Annie. It's been over 2 years since my last trip and I am fiending for this vacation. I'm very much a Disneyholic, her not so much but I'm working on it. During my months of sweating over our Disney plans, we were also working on her wedding! Annie would say her plate was too full with wedding stuff to think of Disney, and we started joking that she had a plate of wedding stuff and a glass of Disney, while I had the plate of Disney and the glass of wedding.

The details of my trip are a little like this; We leave in the morning on January 24th and come home (as if I even want to think of that...) Febuary 2nd. We have the basic dining plan and a 6 day park hopper, and a day at Discovery Cove. The best part is the room. A good friend of mine at work is a DVC member and rented me points for an insanely good rate. She got us a 1 bedroom villa at OKW and only charged us $500 a piece. Your well informed jaws are dropping as you realize what a deal that is right? I've been to the World several times, and have stayed at Fort Wilderness eons ago, and Pop Century in 07 and 08, but never in my dizziest daydreams did I think I'd ever get a room with a flippin jacuzzi tub at my beck and call! This is how I looked when I read the room details ->

The official cast of crazy characters is me, Alyssa, cheesemonger to the stars, and Annie, the five star florist, and Verde, a crazy little green guy you'll meet when I eventually get around to taking pictures. Annie and I are both 24 and have been friends for about 3 years. We've often joked about how we never thought we'd be as close as we are considering how we started off. We both worked at a local grocery store and our respective departments (cheese and floral) were next to each other. We would give each other side long glances, sizing each other up. I thought of her as "that redhead in floral with the voice" (it's a bit nasal) and she thought of me as "that weird chick in cheese". We started feeling each other out...a short conversation about product here and there, and we would almost circle each other like rival lionesses. It almost looked like the knife fight in West Side Story!! I was a Shark, she was a Jet.... the 2 could never get along, or could they? Anyway, she invited me to her birthday party about 2 months after we had originally met and we've been buds since .

So here we are, a week out. Annie has since started a new job, doing floral at a different store, but now is full time and in the past few weeks has been crazy busy with it. I'm still chained to the cheese mines and have finally reached the end of my planning phase and entered the compulsive checking of weather/menus/park hours phase. I also have recurring Disney nightmares!

Since I've discovered the Disboards, and let me tell you I don't know how I ever lived without it, I've been a planner. I plan even when I don't have a trip in the works. I'm the go to gal at work for Disney info now and can find a way to wedge Disney into a conversation on virtually any topic. Since I've been such a planner, I've started having Disney nightmares. They typically start about a month pretrip and are 2 recurring themes. One is I arrive at Disney and realize I...*gulp*....have NO ADRS!!!!! Terrifying, I know. The other one is all of a sudden I realize it's the last day of my trip and I have accomplished ANYTHING! An equally scary notion!!!

I think I've planned pretty much as well as I can, or am willing to. I refuse to do the whole commando thing. It's unappealing to me, I need to be able to go at a slower pace, stopping if I want to stop, snacking when I want to snack. You may see me with my Disney notebook, full of ADRs and park hours, but you will never see me with a whistle barking at my party that we need to be at Space Mountain at 13:47 and we need to MOOOOVE! Kudos to you if you're that person, but I will probably be snickering at you from behind my Dole Whip. I plan which parks I'll be at on each day, and make my ADRs and that's about it. I've been down there enough times to have a decent idea of what to avoid at what times and where I need to hit first. This is part of the reason I go in the so called off season, rather than swimming through a sea of humanity.

Right now my schedule is this:
Monday- Arrive at OKW in the early afternoon, then get settled in the room, head over to Goods for some lunch, back to the room to unpack and then over to Cape May Cafe for dinner.
Tuesday- Magic Kingdom with dinner at Crystal Palace.
Wednesday- Animal Kingdom and Artist Point over at the Wilderness Lodge
Thursday- Epcot, Future World only, with dinner at Coral Reef
Friday- Discovery Cove and then popping over to Pop for a counter service meal.
Saturday- assuming the weather was good Friday and Discovery Cove actually happened, will be Downtown Disney then going back to the Wilderness Lodge for Whispering Canyon. If the weather is too cold for DC on Friday, we're going to switch Friday and Saturday's plans.
Sunday- Hollywood Studios and dinner at 50's Prime Time, I will be encouraging her to blow straw wrappers and put her elbows on the table...little does she know.
Monday- no official plans, we're using this as a hopper day, going and doing anything we want to redo. Dinner at Flying Fish.
Tuesday- Epcot, World Showcase this time, and anything we want to redo in FW, then dinner at Garden Grill.
Wednesday- we leave....and I don't wanna talk about it.

That's really all I have for now. Hopefully you haven't fallen asleep and shorted out your keyboard with drool. Stay tuned for the next exciting installment of....VIVA VERDE!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century

Last edited by LockShockBarrel; 05-30-2011 at 12:49 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:28 PM   #2
disneydreamingdebby
DVC Member

My countdown is 9 days...we will be at OKW for some of the same days...You did get an amazing deal!

We are commando in the parks but not with a bull horn or a watch...we arrive at park opening or earlier and have a tour plan. It is subject to change of course, but without it for our first trip we would have been "that guy" standing in the middle of Main St - "Where should we go?"

Now, the plan is pretty much in my head (or DDs' or DH's) but I still write it all out in anticipation!

Here's hoping our countdown goes quickly!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-17-2011, 10:50 PM   #3
LockShockBarrel

I'll be curious to see if I regret not coming up with a bit more cement of a plan. The thing is, in my 9 previous Disney trips, only one of them has been without a handicap person, so I've been pretty spoiled with how long I've had to wait in lines. I know they say sometimes you wait longer and all that but it was never the case for us. I'm quite looking forward to some of the lines believe it or not because I've never seen some of them or have very very little memory of them. I feel like the time of the year and a decent knowledge of how the crowds tend to work will be enough to avoid anything terrible so we'll see if I'm right or wrong. Let's cross our fingers for some good weather!!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century
Old 01-17-2011, 11:06 PM   #4
LockShockBarrel

I've decided, in honor of Verde, all of my official PT posts will be in green to make them easier to pick out from my replies.

Going into a bit more detail on some stuff here. This will be the first trip I'm not doing any breakfasts, which makes me a bit sad because I worship at the altar of the breakfast buffet. Annie is not a breakfast person and I don't need a big breakfast, just something. Since we have the full kitchen in our villa, we decided the best way to go about things would be to have a small breakfast in our room, use our QS credit for lunch and TS for dinner. I've used Garden Grocer in the past so I again turned to them for my food needs.

My shopping list:
Gallon of Milk
2 boxes of ceral
3 2 liters of pop ( or soda if you're one of those people)
1 case of water
4 individual packets of Famous Amos chocolate chip cookies
2 packages of bagels
1 loaf of bread
1 box of margarine
1 package of cream cheese
1 bottle of apple juice (I can't remember how big it was)

I think that's it... I couldn't fathom paying 4 bucks for a jar of peanut butter or a box of Arnold Palmer mix ins, so I'm bring those from home. I also decided it'd be thrifty if I started squirreling away those little jelly packets from restaurants...my collection is at 33 packets! I was too afraid to buy a jar at home since it's glass and honestly I didn't want sticky grape scented clothes. I also am bringing a few of those Purex 3-in-1s for laundry, and I made Annie responsible for bringing some hot chocolate mix packets. I can't do everything you know? Ok I lied, I can, I just don't want to

I also picked up this big birthday card to bring along. My friend that's renting us the points, it's her birthday on Jan 28th, and I thought it'd be fun to get the characters to sign the birthday card for her!

The only thing I'm getting nervous about is my ME tags are still not here . I know I don't absolutely need them, that I could give my baggage claim thingies and a description to the checkin desk...or even grab my own bags but well, I don't want to. My friend called to check on them and the lady she spoke to said they'd been sent out and didn't seem to think there was any reason to worry and that they should be here soon. Cutting it too close for my taste!

I've finally started setting aside clothes, but I'm trying to wait til at least this weekend so I have a better idea of the weather. Annie told me today she had a Disney nightmare, and that it was she was so busy at work that her husband had to pack for her and only packed pajamas.

I'll be around with any news!!

Old 01-18-2011, 01:20 AM   #5
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Hey, great start to your pre-trippie!
Count me in for the ride! It sounds interesting! I love the way you "collect" small items to bring with you - I do too!

Can't wait for more!
Aug 22 Fantasy/Western Aug 29 Fantasy/Eastern
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

Old 01-18-2011, 11:35 PM   #6
LockShockBarrel

Got my ME tags today!! This whole thing is so close but so far away! How can I be expected to wait 4 more days!!?? THE HORROR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've already mentally checked out at work, luckily I only have Wednesday and Friday left. I turned in my coins at the bank today and got a whopping 23 bucks, so I can afford a bottle of water now Now my biggest project is making sure I understand how my new camera works, particularly the food setting, right Karin?

Old 01-19-2011, 02:59 PM   #7
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

The food setting is VERY important! Only 4 more days! Hope the 4 days fly by and your vacation "drags on".
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

Old 01-20-2011, 08:40 PM   #8
LockShockBarrel

I officially started packing! Mostly little stuff that I don't actually need until I'm down there. Lots of little shampoo sample bottles and packets, some medicine-y stuff, and my grand collection of jelly packets. The pharmacy I use always gives the medicine in these rectangular ziplock bags and I save them because hey, it's a perfectly good ziplock bag, and that's what I have a lot of this stuff in. Anything that could leak and ruin clothes are in these bags.

Finally this trip is starting to feel more real, its been so long coming that I peaked kind of early, then it was just like "yeah I'm going....". Now I'm back into the "YAAAYYYY I'M GOING TO FREAKIN' DISNEYWORLD!!!!!!!" Anyway, I figured maybe I could get a few more readers if I posted a pic, so here's my jelly collection and my Arnold Palmer and CranLemonade mix in packets, all ready to go.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:03 PM   #9
Eight
Mouseketeer

Hello!

I think I have to comment, as I'll be going the exact dates you are, although I'm spending the first two days at Universal.

I'm with you on the whole commando thing. It's good to plan which parks you're going to on certain days, but where's the fun if there's no spontaneity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockShockBarrel View Post

Finally this trip is starting to feel more real, its been so long coming that I peaked kind of early, then it was just like "yeah I'm going....". Now I'm back into the "YAAAYYYY I'M GOING TO FREAKIN' DISNEYWORLD!!!!!!!"
Again, I'm with you. I can't wait until Monday! Can it please, please come faster?
Old 01-20-2011, 10:42 PM   #10
LockShockBarrel

Isn't it funny how we will time to move faster and slower? We beg and plead for the trip to get here and then all of a sudden its like "WHOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAA PUT ON THE BREAKS!!!! I WANT THIS VACATION TO LAST FOR-EVERTY-EVER!!!!"

Old 01-22-2011, 07:32 PM   #11
LockShockBarrel

So we're at T-minus 36 hours and counting till it's off to the airport! I'm mostly packed, there's just that last load of laundry and the hemming of a pair of jeans to be done. Does anyone else feel like the need something to go wrong when they take a vacation? I feel like everything is going too smoothly, and I'd rather the poop hit the fan now that once I'm down there you know? The biggest problem I've had so far is I'm somehow missing a shirt that I'd planned on taking. Something else has to happen...doesn't it? It all can't really be going that well....can it?

I had a little bit of money from something I returned to Target on a giftcard, so I went up there today and grabbed some snacky stuff for the plane (in other words, junk food!) I got Starburst RedFruit mix (ohhh so good), some mini Twix bars ( *drooooool*) and some kind of white chocolate lemon berry granola bite, I've never had them, but they sounded yummy.

I've checked the weather more times than I care to admit, even though I know pretty much anyone that bothers to read a pretrip report does the same thing. It looks pretty good, but I'm still trying to take a good mix of warm weather clothes and not so warm weather stuff. It's at the point I feel I need to offer up the official prayer to the weather gods.

O Mighty Weather Gods!
It is to you that I beg mercy, while I am coming from Buffalo NY, and should be thankful for anything over 20°F and no snow, I'd still be ever so thankful for something around 70° and not a lot of rain. I humbly ask that you hold off on any snow you'd planned on gifting to the Buf, at least until my flight takes off. For if you see it fit to grant my humble requests, I may see it fit to name a future child, or at least cat, something to do with weather.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:48 AM   #12
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So we're at T-minus 36 hours and counting till it's off to the airport! I'm mostly packed, there's just that last load of laundry and the hemming of a pair of jeans to be done. Does anyone else feel like the need something to go wrong when they take a vacation? I feel like everything is going too smoothly, and I'd rather the poop hit the fan now that once I'm down there you know? The biggest problem I've had so far is I'm somehow missing a shirt that I'd planned on taking. Something else has to happen...doesn't it? It all can't really be going that well....can it?

I had a little bit of money from something I returned to Target on a giftcard, so I went up there today and grabbed some snacky stuff for the plane (in other words, junk food!) I got Starburst RedFruit mix (ohhh so good), some mini Twix bars ( *drooooool*) and some kind of white chocolate lemon berry granola bite, I've never had them, but they sounded yummy.

I've checked the weather more times than I care to admit, even though I know pretty much anyone that bothers to read a pretrip report does the same thing. It looks pretty good, but I'm still trying to take a good mix of warm weather clothes and not so warm weather stuff. It's at the point I feel I need to offer up the official prayer to the weather gods.

O Mighty Weather Gods!
It is to you that I beg mercy, while I am coming from Buffalo NY, and should be thankful for anything over 20°F and no snow, I'd still be ever so thankful for something around 70° and not a lot of rain. I humbly ask that you hold off on any snow you'd planned on gifting to the Buf, at least until my flight takes off. For if you see it fit to grant my humble requests, I may see it fit to name a future child, or at least cat, something to do with weather.
I just LOVE your prayer to the Weather Gods!!
I have a friend in the Buffalo area) and she just wrote that it is so cold at the moment (she lives in North Tonawanda) - so I hope you won't have any more snow and cold until you leave!

I am still 27 days out and I DO check the weather too!

Don't fret about something going wrong - I bet your missing shirt will be the thing to go wrong! Hopefully!!!!!!
But I am keeping my fingers crossed your vacation goes as smoothly as possible and that it is sprinkled with lots of pixie dust and pixie dust alone!

I don't know if you have gone around that time frame before, but when we go in February we ALWAYS pack a sweater/jacket, as even though the days can be pretty warm, the nights can get chilly!

Have a wonderful and magical vacation!!

Old 01-23-2011, 02:05 PM   #13
LockShockBarrel

I went in Febuary a few years ago and definitely needed something in the early morning and at night to keep warm. I'm bringing a fleece, a hoodie, and a windbreaker type thing (for rain) plus a good mix of long sleeve and short sleeve shirts. I just need to figure out the right combinations of them.

Is the friend englishrose or something to that effect? I feel like I remember seeing her on a Buffalo area meet and greet and on your What did we Celebrate thread...which I'm currently heading over to.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:10 PM   #14
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I went in Febuary a few years ago and definitely needed something in the early morning and at night to keep warm. I'm bringing a fleece, a hoodie, and a windbreaker type thing (for rain) plus a good mix of long sleeve and short sleeve shirts. I just need to figure out the right combinations of them.

Is the friend englishrose or something to that effect? I feel like I remember seeing her on a Buffalo area meet and greet and on your What did we Celebrate thread...which I'm currently heading over to.
I see you know what clothes to bring for the season!

No, the friend is not Englishrose. It's my friend Mary Ellen, who is a lurker here at the DIS. I told her people are very friendly and welcoming, but she still hasn't "crept" out of her hiding place!

Old 01-23-2011, 09:12 PM   #15
LockShockBarrel

So once the second hand makes it once more around the clock, I will be exactly 12 hours out from takeoff....and I'm slightly sick to my stomach. I'm thinking of offering up a prayer and a sacrifice to the health gods at this point. Part of me is like "Relax it's just nervous", another part of me is going "Did you really need that cheesecake at dinner?" (yes, yes I did) and another part is going "Well you know you haven't been sick all winter, maybe now's the time"

I'm packed as much as I can, the last little bit is stuff that I need in the morning, medicines, contacts and glasses, that type of thing. Hopefully I'll actually sleep this time. The past 2 times I've gone, I haven't, and by haven't I mean this is how my days went:

Wake up around noon on Sunday (I am a chronic insomniac, I take the max dose of Ambien every night and usually don't fall asleep til 3ish so keep that in mind) Get up, putter around packing, try to sleep....lay there...read...try to sleep...lay there...get up...go online...try to sleep...lay there, then finally get up and make breakfast. My flights for both trips were at 7:35 am on Monday. Then I'd get in, get settled in the room (no sleeping on the plane mind you) Try to nap, be unsuccessful, have dinner, try to sleep at night, MAYBE doze for 20 minutes and then be up for the rest of the night. I'd finally fall into a real sleep about 10 on Tuesday night after being up from noon on Sunday. I would feel like I got in a fist fight by that point, so yeah, I'm very much hoping there's at least a couple hours in store for me tonight. I can't take the Ambien unfortunately, because if I take it too early my body just kind of fights it off, and I can't take it unless I'll get at least 8 hours of sleep with it because otherwise I feel very ill the next day and that's not something I care to deal with.

I've checked the weather as much as I can, and the menus, and the park hours. I have the Taiko drummers, Miyuki, Sergio, and the JAMMinators' schedules written down, I have so much paper work I'm probably a fire hazard. I know I won't actually chill out until I'm on the ME bus, then I'll have another wave of the antsies at check in, then I'll be fine.

So kiddies, unless I'm back for a sleepless update, this is it. I'll be back in a few weeks with the rest of my pre trippy and then a full report on the actual vacation. I promise to take lots of pics, and write down as much as I can to tell you. I probably won't be able to get to a lot of it until after Valentine's Day so be patient with me. I literally get back to work into time to work in the cheese department for the Super Bowl, and it'll be crazy, then I'll have like 2 normal days then I shift over to Floral for what I believe will be 5 days of silly boys who think their wives/girlfriends like pink, but it could be yellow, and do you have any blue roses? Wish me luck and I'll see you real soon!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: