Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2011, 12:26 PM   #31
MikeofRose&Mike
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joan4mickey View Post
Next I'm going to try some trail running. I started my running journey three years ago and now it is time to try something new. I want to do a multi day stage run some place beautiful.
Trail running or a stage run sound like fun. That would be fun to try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoehrlein View Post
My main 2011 goal is a biggie for me: I'm going to be the program director for the brand-new Birmingham (AL) Galloway Training Program, which is set for launch this spring. The training isn't anywhere near as daunting as is the fact that this formerly shy wallflower is going to be taking charge and actually leading a group instead of just following. WISH me luck!
Good luck with the Galloway Program director!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lily 03 View Post
I've already registered for 4 halfs in different states. Shamrock in VA and RnRs in Providence, RI; St Louis, MO; and Savannah, GA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumbaa80 View Post
You're going to be in my neck of the woods for that savannah marathon! we havent' decided yet about entering, though...
Savannah is on my maybe list. I have a son at USC in Columbia, so I can combine a trip to see him with a race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFigawi View Post
Maybe we can all pick a fun race like Napa Valley, Vegas, Grandma's, or Flying Pig to run together. I was going to suggest Bourbon Chase but it's already full for 2011.
John - we have a thread for WISHers at Kentucky Derby Festival April 30 in Louisville. Flying Pig is the next day in Cincinatti so you can do an Ohio River Goofy Challenge this year. It does not happen very often, KDF is last Saturday in April, and Flying Pig is 1st Sunday in May. Just worked out this year.

Thanks for all the ideas on goals, it does help to write them down.
Mine: Sub 2:00 Half (PR)
2nd Marathon 1st was 1984 Marine Corps
4 races 1/2M or more (3 last year).

Thanks for all the motivation, and good luck with your goals,

Mike

MikeofRose&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 01:45 PM   #32
FFigawi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeofRose&Mike View Post
John - we have a thread for WISHers at Kentucky Derby Festival April 30 in Louisville. Flying Pig is the next day in Cincinatti so you can do an Ohio River Goofy Challenge this year. It does not happen very often, KDF is last Saturday in April, and Flying Pig is 1st Sunday in May. Just worked out this year.
In case one Goofy per year isn't enough?

John
FFigawi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2011, 02:48 PM   #33
chimera
WISH Racing Team Member
If I wear a Cumulus on one foot and a Nimbus on the other, will there be thunderstorms during my run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deekaypee View Post

And Maura, you started another thread in which I mentioned doing a non-Disney WISH race. I think that has to be a priority in 2011.
Me, too. I'd like to do another state this year.

I've finally registered for my first tri.

I would also LOVE to try a trail run.

This isn't particularly a goal it just seems to be happening, but I'm on track to run my 20th half marathon later this fall.

If the next WDW marathon is a relay, I may try that next year.

Kim...That's really cool to be a Galloway leader! congrats!

Last edited by chimera; 01-16-2011 at 08:17 AM.
chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:11 PM   #34
Shmu
DIS Veteran

Figured I'd join in here.

I did the full last weekend at Disney. Barely made it. Walked with little running.
Saw a lot of W.I.S.H. shirts and I have to say you guys helped me out a bunch and you don't even know me.

My goal now is to concentrate on 5K races and losing the extra weight I have. (30 pounds) I was losing until I started to train for the marathon.

I want to break 40 min. for a 5K race and I also want to do the Peachtree Road Race on the 4th of July.
Shmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:21 AM   #35
chimera
WISH Racing Team Member
If I wear a Cumulus on one foot and a Nimbus on the other, will there be thunderstorms during my run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmu View Post
Figured I'd join in here.

I did the full last weekend at Disney. Barely made it. Walked with little running.
Saw a lot of W.I.S.H. shirts and I have to say you guys helped me out a bunch and you don't even know me.

My goal now is to concentrate on 5K races and losing the extra weight I have. (30 pounds) I was losing until I started to train for the marathon.

I want to break 40 min. for a 5K race and I also want to do the Peachtree Road Race on the 4th of July.
Welcome Shmu! congrats on your marathon finish

I'm with ya on the weight thing...I was doing well losing until I trained for the full a few years ago. Who knew it was possible to gain while training for a marathon?

You're probably in good shape to PR a 5K since you're coming off marathon training. Just keep training up to 5 or 6 mile LR and you'll be golden.
chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:57 AM   #36
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

Mel Congrats on registering for your first tri. I think sometimes the act of registering for a race is one of the scarier aspects! Now we need to put our brilliant heads together and come up with that destination race. I think I'll devote some brain cells (and web time) to that this week.

Shmu Congrats on your Disney finish and Welcome! After I did the Donald in 2009, and after I recovered, I spent the winter/early spring training for a "fast 5k" (a very relative term). It was a good winter thing to do. Hope you find a plan that helps you reach your goal.

AFM....todaay I did 17 miles in 12 degree weather. My camelbak tube froze so I was water-challenged for most of the run. It was a hard slog on snow covered roads, but I got it done. Didn't have to worry about going too fast for my training target time, LOL.

Now I intend to watch the Seahawks beat the Bears (one can hope...they did it earlier in the season, I believe), but more importantly need the Pats to beat the Jets.

Maura
jmasgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:09 PM   #37
bunnyfoo
It's Monday and my mind was somewhere else
Never hopes to dream though

Hi everyone! I'm back from my first full at Disney and had a blast! I ran with Tandy (rubato) and our goal was just finishing but we did it in under 5:00. I had a knee injury (and now an ankle sprain) so the finishing time wasn't a consideration but believe I have it in me to eventually run a full in 4:30 or under. Oops I posted it, I guess now I have to do it The only other race I have scheduled for this year is the Princess Half. I'm trying to decide on another full - MCM, Disney or Honolulu. I'd love to go to Hawaii but feel for the cost, I could do a couple other races instead. But before I make any decisions, I think I have to focus on getting my ankle back!

May 2002 - Wyndham (DTD)/May 2003 - CBR & AKL/ Dec 2003 - AKL/ Oct 2004 - AKL & Polynesian/Oct 2007 - AKL CL & Polynesian/May 2008 - POFQ/Jan 2009 - Poly CL/Oct 2009 - BC & CSR/Jan 2010 - Poly CL/Jan 2011 - Poly CL/Jan 2012 - Pop Century

bunnyfoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:49 PM   #38
DisneyDreamerMom
Mouseketeer

Hi! I'm just getting back to running after ten years off. Having kids and running my family distracted me from something I love.

Tomorrow I start the C25k program. My goals for this year are to run a 5K in the spring, the Crazy 8's in July and if the money works out, the Princess 1/2 in 2012. I might be too aggressive in my goals but they give me something to shoot for.

I found this board through a some of the trip reports where people ran the Half Marathon and I'm looking forward to getting to know you!
Old 01-16-2011, 02:25 PM   #39
MikeofRose&Mike
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDreamerMom View Post
Hi! I'm just getting back to running after ten years off. Having kids and running my family distracted me from something I love.

Tomorrow I start the C25k program. My goals for this year are to run a 5K in the spring, the Crazy 8's in July and if the money works out, the Princess 1/2 in 2012. I might be too aggressive in my goals but they give me something to shoot for.

I found this board through a some of the trip reports where people ran the Half Marathon and I'm looking forward to getting to know you!
Welcome Back, I took about 20 years off. I think your goals are reasonable. If finances are the concern for Princess, the Nashville half in November would be an alternative.

MikeofRose&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:44 PM   #40
joan4mickey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmasgat View Post

AFM....todaay I did 17 miles in 12 degree weather. My camelbak tube froze so I was water-challenged for most of the run. It was a hard slog on snow covered roads, but I got it done. Didn't have to worry about going too fast for my training target time, LOL.

Maura

You amaze me.

I have been scoping out days to run. Today 10 miles, 55 degrees and mostly sunny. I was a bit overdressed. And I still had to watch for icy spots.

I don't know how you all do it out in that icy mess.

Welcome back to running DisneyDreamMom. Hope you can make it to a princess some year.

Bunnyfoo and Shmu I hope to be in your situation in a year...coming home from my first full..glad it was a success.

Mel Have fun training for your TRI

joan4mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:41 PM   #41
sug78
Mouseketeer

Just wanted to join in the fun! I have been running for a little over a year but have never run in a race. So I figured Disney would be the best place to start. My goal is to do the Half Marathon 2012 or the Princess Half 2012.
Are men allowed to run in the Princess? (Just incase my husband wanted to join me
sug78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:11 PM   #42
DizGirl20
DIS Veteran

Hello everyone! My name is Robyn and I just discovered your forum in the last few days. I have been looking for inspiration to improve my cardio exercise and I think I just found it! I have always been drawn to yoga and pilates but not necessarily to running. So now my goal is to do a 5K in the Spring, do a 5K with my DH and 2 DDs at Disney (not sure which one yet) and hopefully do the Half Marathon in Jan 2012. I have never been much of a runner so I am somewhat nervous about all this. I get on my treadmill a few times a week but it is mostly brisk walking. I know it sounds crazy but if I'm going to do a race the only place I can see having the motivation to do it for is Disney! I am trying to figure out my way around these part of the boards so please be patient... nice to meet everyone Robyn
Old 01-17-2011, 04:12 PM   #43
TnTsParty
DIS Veteran

Hi everyone. I got out yesterday morning for my first post-Goofy run/walk - it was more of a walk than run but at least I was out moving. I seem to have gotten a case of Runner's Knee in my left knee during the full (well both knees bothered me from mile 15 on) but now its mainly the left knee that bothers me when I run for too long (and definately doesn't feel good going downhill!!) So yesterday I got in 4.2 miles - I ran until it bothered me and then I would walk until it felt better back and forth like that till I was home.

As for me my goal in 2011 is to help my almost 14 year old neice train for her first half marathon next January at Disney. She was SO excited when I told her the age limit was 14 (I thought it was 16) Trying to find a 10k she can race so she will have proof of time before January - unfortunately there aren't too many of those around anymore.
Disney Races ~ TOT 13k 2007~1:36:12 ~ Minnie 15k 2008~1:49:39 ~ EEC w/DH ~ Disney 26.2 Marathon 2009~5:44:28 ~ Princess 1/2 Marathon ~2:32:15 ~ 2010 Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge~1/2 Marathon 2:54:27~Full Marathon 6:02:48 ~ 2011 Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge #2 ~1/2 Marathon 2:44:18~Full Marathon 5:46:54

Missing my BEST Brother in Law ~ Erik 04/30/1971~04/30/2009 ~ you're in our thoughts EVERYDAY
TnTsParty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:22 PM   #44
princessfionasmom
DIS Veteran

Can I join in on the fun too??? I just ran my first half, the WDW half and I am hooked. I had never really run before last march when I started the c25k. I didn't really run much during the summer but when Sept came I had to kick it in to prepare for the half and I did. I ran the whole thing but my time was not what I wanted, 3:00, but I am glad I finished. It was awesome and I can't wait to do the princess next year. As far as this year goes, right now I'm signed up for a 10k April 3rd, but I am planning on doing a 5k or two before that and then the Scituate duathlon in October and the Applefest half in October in Hollis, NH.

A question for the pros, will it be too much to do the half on October 1st and then a duathlon October 16th? The duathlon is run 2; bike 10.2; run 2.3. I think I'll be ok but it's all easier said than done, lol.

Thanks,
Carmel
2/02 ASSp - 5/03 offsite -5/04 Pop - 9/04 DCL - 5/06 Pop - 3/07 SOG - 12/08 SSR/POP - 10/09 BLT/OKW - 06/10 BWV/BLT 01/11 BLT - 1/2 Marathon 09/12 celebrate DH's recovery from BMT & 15 yr wedding anniversary! 05/13 Expedition Everest 5k w/DS 10/13 GFV Adult only W&D
princessfionasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:39 PM   #45
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sug78 View Post
Are men allowed to run in the Princess? (Just incase my husband wanted to join me
Yup, they are.

Vicky We're going to hold you to your time goal! I bet you'll make it though. Hope your ankle heals up soon.

DisneyDreamerMom Welcome! Those are great goals. I think they're totally doable. Just take it slow and steady and you will make it. People love the C25K plan. It seems to really work and is a great first step.

Robyn Welcome! Your goal to run at Disney is not crazy. That's how I started and how a lot of other WISHers did too. Just get yourself some good running shoes, a reasonable 5k plan and you're on your way. And last year I got more into yoga and I am convinced it has helped keep me injury free. And of course Pilates will help with a strong core, so it's all good!

Tricia I think it's a great goal to help someone else train for the half. I tend to run alone, but I figure that by now I could definitely help someone train for a half---I just don't know anyone! Hope your knees heal soon. It's still pretty soon after the Goofy. I'm impressed that you are even out there running.

Carmel Welcome! I think you're not the only WISHer doing the Hollis race. One or two of the SuperGoofs have done that race before. As for your 2 races....I think you'd be fine.

Rest day for me. Plus I am not happy with the football results this weekend (other than the Steelers. who are now my team to root for) Oh well.

Maura
jmasgat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: