Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2011, 08:33 PM   #16
MouseDogMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoehrlein View Post
My main 2011 goal is a biggie for me: I'm going to be the program director for the brand-new Birmingham (AL) Galloway Training Program, which is set for launch this spring. The training isn't anywhere near as daunting as is the fact that this formerly shy wallflower is going to be taking charge and actually leading a group instead of just following. WISH me luck!
Congratulations! As a 4-year member of the Raleigh Galloway group, it's always fun to welcome a new group on board! (We're the largest in the country - 495 members in 2010) Hope you have a wonderful, successful season.

Everyone has terrific goals for this year. I'm envious! I'm two weeks post-op from hip surgery to repair torn cartilage, and have to wait 3 months until I can run. So my 2011 running goals will be severely curtailed based on losing the entire winter of training. I do tentatively intend to make another run at the Marine Corps Marathon - the 2010 experience was less than desirable, and I'd like to first enjoy the course, and second achieve my time goal. As long as I hit the ground running in late March, that will be my primary goal for this year. (A much less aggressive year than 2010, which began with Goofy followed with 3 more spring halfs before MCM in October.)

Jackie

MouseDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:41 PM   #17
deleckidesign
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joan4mickey View Post
I may do C2C if DDs want to. Yes I'm the sucker that pays for it all.
Nothing wrong with that. My mom is my "manager" and finances all our trips
2002: Disney Magic 7-night Eastern (St. Maarten/St. Thomas)
2005: Disney Wonder 3-night Bahamas (plus 3-night WDW Pop Century)
2008: Disney Wonder 4-night (Double Dip)
2009: (March) POFQ
2009: (September) Wilderness Lodge
2010: (February) Bonnet Creek Resort
2011: Disney Dreams 7-night cruise
deleckidesign is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-03-2011, 08:55 PM   #18
deekaypee
Mouseketeer
Ah, life in my Disney daydream is good

These are all terrific goals - I'll have to go back and steal a few after I get back from marathon weekend. I totally fell off the fitness wagon, and disappeared from here, for most of 2010. LTO in several different areas.

I tend not to make fitness goals until after marathon weekend - too much to stress about. But I know my first goal is to get back into fighting shape. And by that I mean trim fighting shape for some running, not the bloated fighting shape of boxing movies.

And Maura, you started another thread in which I mentioned doing a non-Disney WISH race. I think that has to be a priority in 2011. Without a longer distance, destination race to plan for besides Disney I got slack. 2012 should be the Goofy/Dopey, although the race fees & Disney trip expenses are a double killer.

So, not very specific of planned out. But great intentions and enthusiasm. Like all my New Year's resolutions!

Oh, I will say this - Thanks to Lily, I've joined the 100 Days Challenge by John Bingham. 30 minutes a day of intentional exercise, for 100 days straight. I already hit more than that most days, but I want to use the challenge to push me to more variety (especially non-cardio) so that I get into better shape. There's a link on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Thank-...51291521589885
or just track on your own. Anyone can join at any time!

One last resolution that I'm bound to keep. More WISH time, especially on the general thread. The cost of being disconnected from my fitness buddies played out physically and mentally. You're all a lifeline! Don't make me turn to my lonely life of bourbon and ice cream as recovery foods. Keep me accountable!
... ................
deekaypee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:33 PM   #19
FFigawi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by deekaypee View Post
And Maura, you started another thread in which I mentioned doing a non-Disney WISH race. I think that has to be a priority in 2011. Without a longer distance, destination race to plan for besides Disney I got slack. 2012 should be the Goofy/Dopey, although the race fees & Disney trip expenses are a double killer.
Maybe we can all pick a fun race like Napa Valley, Vegas, Grandma's, or Flying Pig to run together. I was going to suggest Bourbon Chase but it's already full for 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmasgat View Post
John 5 marathons? How much more of a base can you build! It will be interesting to see what changes BAA makes due to the sell-out this year. Seems like a change in standards is bound to happen--I think it will affect women more than men.
I've got a great base for running long and far, but not a very good one for running fast. I need to do a lot more speedwork in order to become a better runner. I can run at a 10 min/mile pace forever and a 9 min/mile marathon with some effort, but have never put in the training, cross training, and strength training required to get me to a 8 min/mile marathon. That's the base I need to build. I think you're right about BAA changing the qualifying times. The women's times are 30 minutes slower than the men's for most age groups, and I think they'll change that sooner or later.

I've really liked reading everyone else's goals. The 100 Days Challenge really interests me. I make sure I hit all my workouts but tend not to do much on my rest days. This will not only help me be active, I'm sure the dogs will appreciate some extra walks during the week too.

John
FFigawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:29 AM   #20
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

Colleen Good luck with that plan. It is much more ambitious than when I turned 50 (in 2008). I decided to start running that year as an antidote to boring "workouts". Did the (dearly departed) Minnie 15k as my first race and only after that worked up the guts to do a 1/2. BTW, I liked reading your blog.

Jackie Hope the recovery is proceeding well. Are you able to do some kind of rehab exercises now?

Debra I am similar in that I have nothing planned....til after April. I also am in need of a goal to keep me honest and moving. And so far, they have all been "progressive", i.e. do a 15k, then a 1/2, then a full, then a faster full, etc. But that can only go so far (since I won't say out loud that I will do a 1/2 IM), so now is the time to go for variety, I guess. Don't worry, we will keep you accountable...as long as you share the bourbon and ice cream!

John I read a recommendation that BAA use age-graded times and set the bar at 65%. If they were to do that, then younger women would have tighter time, not so much for older women. I like the age-graded idea. As for speedwork, I like the workouts in my training plan from "Run Less, Run Faster". One workout is speed, one workout is temp, and one is a LR. The variety is good and the pace is challenging.

And since it is Tuesday, it is time to go to do speedwork and then yoga. I am still waiting for my pulled rib muscle (I think that's what I have) to heal. Apparently it's going to take its sweet time, so yoga may be "interesting" today.

Maura
jmasgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:50 AM   #21
FFigawi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Debra I am similar in that I have nothing planned....til after April. I also am in need of a goal to keep me honest and moving. And so far, they have all been "progressive", i.e. do a 15k, then a 1/2, then a full, then a faster full, etc. But that can only go so far (since I won't say out loud that I will do a 1/2 IM), so now is the time to go for variety, I guess.
Oh but there is farther you can go, Maura. You can move up to an ultra. A 50k or 50-mile trail run is certainly of a different variety.

John
FFigawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:39 AM   #22
Tiger Lily 03
Famous for my Potato Salad
Not nekid anymore ;-)
Flashed through and scooped up some beads in NawwwwLins

DISboards Moderator

I don't usually take all the time to reply to everyone individually. Hope you don't mind, it's just a daunting thing for me.

It's been interesting reading what everyone's thoughts are for the year and will be fun to go back and see how we do.
Tiger Lily 03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:41 AM   #23
DVCGeek
DIS Veteran

Heard about this thread on DVCNews and decided to drop in & say Hi. My next planned Disney race is about a year off- I intend to make the WDW Marathon my first full! I did my first half (Air Force Half in Dayton, OH) in Sept. of this year, and with a year to train I think I'll be ready to make the jump! I want to do the Coast to Coast challenge in 2012 and have planned out my park trips & vacation time @ work to get to DL that Labor Day Weekend of the DL Half.

| | | Owner @ DVC's BLT, VGC, AKV, & VWL + D23 first day Charter Member | | |
DVCGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:20 AM   #24
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

My half marathon season starts in two weeks with the Manhattan Half. I'm also running the National Half in March, and plan on the Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island and Bronx HM's between May and October.

In between and after, I plan on running about 20 NYRR races.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:22 AM   #25
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

So kudos to everyone who ran this past weekend. Hope to hear some great stories from the races (on one thread or another!).

I ran my 15 miles yesterday. Tried out my "new" Camelbak. This would be the one I bought to train for my October marathon--but never used. Don't know why. Thought about returning it and then dog chewed at the packaging, so I figure it's mine now. I have to say--I liked it! It was better not reaching behind for bottles. And it didn't bounce like I thought it might. The only thing was that I could hear the water sloshing around, so by mile 10 I felt a more acute sense of wanting to go to the bathroom!

Also, finally bought a slightly heavier, windblock running shirt. This was a smart move and no more long runs where I feel pins and needles in my arms/chest and come home to red skin!

Other than that, a pretty quiet weekend. House is now back to being empty since kids have both gone back to school.

Hope everyone else is moving forward!

Maura
Old 01-10-2011, 10:25 AM   #26
joan4mickey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So kudos to everyone who ran this past weekend. Hope to hear some great stories from the races (on one thread or another!).

I ran my 15 miles yesterday. Tried out my "new" Camelbak. This would be the one I bought to train for my October marathon--but never used.

Maura
What kind/model camelbak did you get?

I bought some patagonia trail shoes, but took them back. I plan to trail run after the Princess half and when the weather gets warmer.
I did 8 miles on the TM this morning. It wasn't bad, one guy came in the gym while I was there and he was doing weights and I was in the cardio room so it was almost like running by myself. I opened the blinds and watched it snow.

joan4mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:47 AM   #27
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

Joan I bought the Annadel (I think that's it). It is supposedly a women-specific model. Holds 40 oz, which is good for me when I do long traing runs in warmer weather. It has a couple of small zipper pockets to put some things in. Only downside that I see so far is that I don't have my gels at an easily accessible spot with this. Can manage 2 in my running shirt (small zip pocket) but more than that and I may also end up running with my race belt (has gel loops).

So here is my best Christmas present (from my DD)

I intend to hold her to it!

Maura
Old 01-15-2011, 09:58 AM   #28
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

Hmmmm......2 consecutive posts. Was it something I said?

Hope everyone is keeping moving. We keep getting "inched" and "2-inched" with snow, which will make tomorrow's 17-miler a bit of a challenge (that and a high temp of 18).

My effort for today for the 100 day challenge was to walk Buddy to the dog park and back. (3 miles or so). Only a few pooches, but still got him to run around a little.

Maura
Old 01-15-2011, 10:54 AM   #29
rubato
DIS Veteran

I would like to join in, if I may.

My 2011 goals are pretty much done already: Goofy Challenge.

But, now that I've run a marathon, I think I would like to train for a much speedier marathon. I think I have a sub 4 hour one in me, and possibly faster, if I train properly. I loved doing the run/walk method for the Disney marathon, because I'd pushed myself a bit in the half, but I want to run continuously for the next one. During all my goofy training, I was averaging 9 minute miles or faster for my long runs, so I think it's doable. The KC marathon is in October, so that should be plenty of time to build up some good speed. I could push it and do the Olathe marathon (which is about 10 miles from my front door) in April, but I'm not sure. I know my hubby is not going to go for any traveling to run for awhile. So, those are my 2 options this year.

Oh, and Maura, what a great Christmas gift! I love it. My 11 year old son completely took care of me after Saturday and Sunday's races. He even hunted down all the ice I could ask for.
rubato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:58 AM   #30
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

Tandy Like you, I ran my first half last year at Disney and decided (after appropriate decompression time) that I just might have a faster one in me--also sub 4. So I also trained up over the summer to do an October full-the Detroit Free Press. I trained with a goal of running 8:50 miles, and ended up finishing in 3:53.

So based on your recent races, your LR pace and the amount of time you have, I am sure you have it in you.

I ended using a more aggressive training plan than I used for my first full (it has 5 20-mile runs!), and I think that also had an impact.

Good luck!

Maura

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: