Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2011, 11:53 AM   #31
Adena
Earning My Ears

altitude sickness meds and early arrival in Lima

We arrived a day early (ABD late July 2010). My husband and I began taking prescription altitude sickness medicine while in Lima and 24 hours before arrival in Cusco. We had no problems. Our children did not take the altitude sickness medicine (pediatrician advised against it) and they were fine. My son (age seven at the time) only once complained of a headache, and he was okay after he had a dose of children's ibuprofen.

I know there's a fair amount of talk on these boards about altitude sickness and Peru, but IMHO it's somewhat overblown (and for good reason: Who wants to be sick on vacation?). I can't speak for everyone in our group (and it was a full group of 40), but I don't think altitude sickness was a big deal for most members of the group most of the time. I've no idea if others were taking the medicine as we were, but overall just about everyone seemed to be fine and enjoying the wonderful vacation ABD Peru is.

Another good reason to arrive a day early:

I think most of the flights to Lima arrive late at night, and it'll be an hour or more until you clear customs and immigration and make your way to hotel. Our flight arrived on time at 9:30 p.m. and it was about 11:30 p.m. when we walked into our room at Casa Andina Miraflores. We we able to sleep late the next morning and enjoy a leisurely day of sightseeing in Lima. The next day (the fly-to-Cusco day) we had to have our luggage outside our room at 5:45 a.m., eat breakfast around 6:00 a.m. and leave the hotel at 6:45 a.m. I was glad that we had booked a pre-day in Lima, for it would've have been hard on our children (and us) to hit the sack at midnight then be up and out the door at 5:45 a.m.

Last edited by Adena; 01-25-2011 at 07:35 PM. Reason: incomplete title
Adena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:51 PM   #32
goofy2008
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Thanks on the Costco and point thing.
goofy2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2011, 08:16 PM   #33
WeLoveABD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adena View Post
We arrived a day early (ABD late July 2010). My husband and I began taking prescription altitude sickness medicine while in Lima and 24 hours before arrival in Cusco. We had no problems. Our children did not take the altitude sickness medicine (pediatrician advised against it) and they were fine. My son (age seven at the time) only once complained of a headache, and he was okay after he had a dose of children's ibuprofen.

I know there's a fair amount of talk on these boards about altitude sickness and Peru, but IMHO it's somewhat overblown (and for good reason: Who wants to be sick on vacation?). I can't speak for everyone in our group (and it was a full group of 40), but I don't think altitude sickness was a big deal for most members of the group most of the time. I've no idea if others were taking the medicine as we were, but overall just about everyone seemed to be fine and enjoying the wonderful vacation ABD Peru is.

Another good reason to arrive a day early:

I think most of the flights to Lima arrive late at night, and it'll be an hour or more until you clear customs and immigration and make your way to hotel. Our flight arrived on time at 9:30 p.m. and it was about 11:30 p.m. when we walked into our room at Casa Andina Miraflores. We we able to sleep late the next morning and enjoy a leisurely day of sightseeing in Lima. The next day (the fly-to-Cusco day) we had to have our luggage outside our room at 5:45 a.m., eat breakfast around 6:00 a.m. and leave the hotel at 6:45 a.m. I was glad that we had booked a pre-day in Lima, for it would've have been hard on our children (and us) to hit the sack at midnight then be up and out the door at 5:45 a.m.
We'll be doing the same--coming in a day early; and I'd like to see the highlights of Lima--did you do the hop on/hop off bus? If not that, how did you get around and what do you recommend? (We'll be there the first two weeks of August) thanks!
WeLoveABD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:09 AM   #34
Adena
Earning My Ears

Pre-ABD Day in Lima

I know of one family in our ABD group that took a bus tour on their pre-day and raved about it, but I'm not sure if it was the hop-on, hop-off bus.

We took a taxi from Casa Andina to the Huaca Pucllana archaeological site, where we took the guided tour and afterward enjoyed lunch at the on site open air restaurant. Huaca Pucllana was interesting to us and a good warm-up for all that was to come on our adventure in Peru.

We returned to the Casa Andina to regroup, then walked down nearby Ave. Jose Larco (I think) to the Larcomar shopping center that's built into the cliffs overlooking the Pacific Ocean. That, too, was nice, and we enjoyed some fabulous gelato there. The walking time (one-way) is about 10-15 minutes.

After our walk, the kids wanted pool time at Casa Andina.

I have photos and an incomplete trip report posted here: http://kimbleandeanadventure.shutterfly.com.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:20 AM   #35
tufbuf
Disney Addict!

Hi Adena. Did you just book the tour at Huaca Pucllana on site? What was the taxi fare?

Thanks!

ABD-2014(Ireland/Scotland),2013(CR),2012(Greece/Alpine Magic),2011 (Peru & Ecuador),2010 (SWS),2009 (CKL),2008 (VI); DCL-2007 (DW 3n),2008 (DM 7n WC),2010 (11n Med),2011 (DD 3n,7n MR,DD 4n),2012 (DFMV 7nWC,5nCan DM,5n DD),2013(3n DD,12n Med DM),2014(DD4n,DF7n NYE),DParis 09/09-WDW (Boardwalk) 12/06-DL (Grand Californian) 09/05-WDW (AK Lodge) 10/04 WDW (Coronado Springs) 06/03-DL 09/00-WDW (All Star Music) 10/98-WDW (Port Orleans) 11/97-DL Jun92
tufbuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:46 AM   #36
Adena
Earning My Ears

Huaca Pucllana

Yes, you pay for a tour ticket on site. I can't recall the price other than to say it was reasonable.

The "taxi" really was a driver from the hotel that we arranged for through the concierge. I believe we paid about $15 (one way).
Old 01-26-2011, 04:13 PM   #37
tufbuf
Disney Addict!

Sounds reasonable, thanks!

ABD-2014(Ireland/Scotland),2013(CR),2012(Greece/Alpine Magic),2011 (Peru & Ecuador),2010 (SWS),2009 (CKL),2008 (VI); DCL-2007 (DW 3n),2008 (DM 7n WC),2010 (11n Med),2011 (DD 3n,7n MR,DD 4n),2012 (DFMV 7nWC,5nCan DM,5n DD),2013(3n DD,12n Med DM),2014(DD4n,DF7n NYE),DParis 09/09-WDW (Boardwalk) 12/06-DL (Grand Californian) 09/05-WDW (AK Lodge) 10/04 WDW (Coronado Springs) 06/03-DL 09/00-WDW (All Star Music) 10/98-WDW (Port Orleans) 11/97-DL Jun92
tufbuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:22 PM   #38
WeLoveABD
DIS Veteran

Did you need much in the way of local currency? Were you able to pay for your tour/driver/admission/meals with a credit card? I assume ATM machines were available in Lima...?

I always like to bring with me some of the local currency for small stuff--and rely on an ATM if I need more cash, otherwise go with the credit card.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:21 PM   #39
lb4747694
Earning My Ears

In the info packet it actually talks about limited ATM availability during parts of the tour. Can't remember exactly where, but it was enough for my wife and I to think that we need to stock up on Sols in Lima.
lb4747694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:18 AM   #40
Adena
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLoveABD View Post
Did you need much in the way of local currency? Were you able to pay for your tour/driver/admission/meals with a credit card? I assume ATM machines were available in Lima...?

I always like to bring with me some of the local currency for small stuff--and rely on an ATM if I need more cash, otherwise go with the credit card.

WeLoveABD:

We also brought Peruvian soles with us and used them to pay for taxi fare to/from Huaca Pucllana (the only time we needed ground transportation outside ABD's umbrella); Huaca Pucllana admission; snacks purchased while walking around Lima and Cusco on our own; marketplace shopping in Pisac and Cusco; admission to some of the churches in Cusco during on-our-own time, and a few other miscellaneous inexpensive purchases. We also used soles for tip money at various times when we were on our own and received good service or when, even under ABD's umbrella of tip coverage, we felt that we received extraordinary service. For restaurants and substantial purchases, we used a credit card.

The only minor challenge/inconvenience we ran into was at the end of the trip. We were low on cash on our final day and -- because of ATM withdrawal limits -- had to find two ATMs to gather enough tip money for our two guides.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:43 AM   #41
WeLoveABD
DIS Veteran

Thanks--I'll be sure to bring currency! I've started gathering lots of info on Lima, and your report--and others too over the past few months--have been very helpful. (Probably the best part of the disboard!)
Old 01-29-2011, 07:14 PM   #42
WeLoveABD
DIS Veteran

HOHO only Weekends

I just looked on line and see the HOHO bus is only available on weekends--doesn't help us as our pre-tour Lima time is Mon/Tues. So, looks like we'll arrange for a guide via the hotel--
Old 02-05-2011, 08:49 PM   #43
lb4747694
Earning My Ears

Trip preparation is progressing. I've got the flights booked. Using points to fly United (through Houston). Also using points to stay at the Marriott in Lima, since we're getting in 2 days early.

Now I just have to convince the wife that we should stay an extra day to celebrate Peru's Independence day on July 27--and get a drink out of the Pisco Fountain
lb4747694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:40 AM   #44
appleseed1
Mouseketeer

Thanks for sharing!
appleseed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:40 PM   #45
kenbradio
Earning My Ears

Adventures by Disney Peru

We did Peru ABD in 2009 and had the time of our lives. While in Lima, if you are up for it, go cliff gliding in Miraflores on the Pacific Ocean. We actually let our 8 year old do it and I have never seen him smile so much. It was only $50. and after speaking with the pilots, I felt totally safe allowing the kids to go.

Sol y luna resort is amazing, the shows, the horses, the food. Peru has some of the most amazing food. Keep an open mind and enjoy.

We are up for doing this one again.
kenbradio is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: