Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2011, 11:02 AM   #406
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Thanks for following along everyone. I had a great time on my holiday and am currently scheming about my NEXT one....

Unfortunately, planning has hit a slight snag:

Plan #1 - DH and I were keen to hit the Iberian trail...Spain, Portugal and then head towards Morocco and Tunisia. We would have probably managed a side trip to EuroDisney. I think the uprising in Tunisia stopped that one in the tracks.

Plan #2 - I then thought of heading to Egypt and see the Pyramids. That planning didn't even get off the ground. 3 weeks after Tunisia, Egypt was also off the bucket list.

Plan #3 - Japan for some skiing and Tokyo Disneyland. No more said!

I'm scared to even think of going anywhere else.

Oh dear...I don't think you should consider another Disney World trip anytime soon!

But seriously, once Japan recovers from all this (to the point that nuclear meltdown is not in the cards) there may be some excellent deals to encourage tourism. Shortly after the world trade center attacks in the US, tourism was hit pretty hard...I know Disney was desparate for guests, the parks were practically empty for a few months afterwards.

Tunisia and Egypt I think I would avoid for a while...

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR IN PROGRESS!!
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 02:06 AM   #407
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:

I'm scared to even think of going anywhere else.

We were thinking of Tokyo Disney in 2013, it will probably be like New Orleans, dying to get their tourism back and everyone is afraid to go...we'll just have to wait and see.

Please don't think of going back to WDW, Washington DC, Montreal, New Orleans, or a Disney cruise, those are some of the other things we are thinking of in the next five years! Perhaps we should consider coming to visit you and Sydney sooner rather than later!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnuzuloose View Post
You know I stopped in at the museum but did not take the tour. It was 20 for an adult. Have you been there?
We did it last Christmas, you can find it on my PTR page 9 post 133. We really enjoyed it. I took much longer than anyone else in our party and by the last room I was in tears (they showed newpaper cartoon clippings with tributes to Walt's death, it was very moving).
Alison ~~~~ I do get to go to WDW this year! | Our Disney Dream Home| Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR |It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!
franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-18-2011, 07:23 PM   #408
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
Oh dear...I don't think you should consider another Disney World trip anytime soon!

But seriously, once Japan recovers from all this (to the point that nuclear meltdown is not in the cards) there may be some excellent deals to encourage tourism. Shortly after the world trade center attacks in the US, tourism was hit pretty hard...I know Disney was desparate for guests, the parks were practically empty for a few months afterwards.

Tunisia and Egypt I think I would avoid for a while...
Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
We were thinking of Tokyo Disney in 2013, it will probably be like New Orleans, dying to get their tourism back and everyone is afraid to go...we'll just have to wait and see.

Please don't think of going back to WDW, Washington DC, Montreal, New Orleans, or a Disney cruise, those are some of the other things we are thinking of in the next five years! Perhaps we should consider coming to visit you and Sydney sooner rather than later!
I'm still on the drawing board...but all visitors to Melbourne are welcomed!

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:27 PM   #409
PrincessInOz
in

OT - If it’s March in Melbourne, it must be Moomba Madness.

Might be construed as "advertising" ...and I'm hoping this might entice you to come visit me in Melbourne!

Over the last weekend, Monday was a public holiday in Melbourne. Ostensibly, the official public holiday is stated as Labour Day; but as any true blue Melbournian can tell you…..it was really the Moomba long weekend party.

Moomba is an aboriginal word that….best we can work out….means “Lets all get together and have fun!”. Celebrations are held along the Yarra River that runs through Melbourne and pretty much kick off on the Friday all the way through to Labour Day (Moomba) Monday public holiday.

Aside from the standard carnival rides and food stalls, the other Moomba activities include DragonBoat Racing, Waterskiing, Birdman Rally, cultural events, Fireworks and a Parade. I took the opportunity to enjoy the festivities and I don’t even want to list the number of scavenger hunt items I managed to snag.

It was a lovely hot and steamy day in Melbourne on Saturday….the weather was pushing into the 90’s….perfect to go down by the Yarra to enjoy the night fireworks. I even managed to convince DH and DS that we should head into the city.

We drove in and found a place to park. I had been food shopping in the morning….perhaps I should have taken some of my groceries down beforehand.

We passed by the Town Hall where the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra was doing a performance on Star Wars music.

There were a number of Jedi and Tie fighters outside…

….and the storm troopers….

….and even Bobba Fett; unfortunately this guy got in my way!

There were already quite a few people enjoying the festivities….

And DS found a number of attractions to his liking…

I found a number of things happening that seemed just out of my reach….

And immediately thought Wipeout!

But tonight was not a night for monkeying around…

….I knew that DS was eager to hit the bigger rides….

…..but I was not playing second banana tonight!

I was on a mission! I was after some fireworks shots. So the boys and I temporarily parted company so that I could go scout out a prime spot on the banks of the Yarra.

I’d decided to set up here…..my camera and tripod were ready for a good night's shooting over the banks of the Yarra River. Even had the new wide angle lens, which I had decided to shoot with.

Afterall, look at this shot of the Melbourne skyline, complete with some of the rides on the opposite side of the river going round!

Check out the set of three pontoons in the picture on the river. There are 4 sets of three pontoons spaced out on the river. That's where the fireworks were going to be let off from. And because they are spaced out along the river, the crowds aren't on top of each other. Everyone gets a decent view.

So, I had the perfect spot....right equipment.....and I had checked the conditions to make sure that I had the right camera settings as well.

Well....guess what??? They couldn't get MY set of friggin' pontoons into position...and the fireworks were delayed for 5 minutes....10 minutes....and finally after 15 minutes.....they announced that the show was going to start!

And the went off from the other 3 positions on the Yarra EXCEPT for the one I sat in front of!

And to whet your appetite for what might have been...

I'm probably gonna have to wait until New Year's Eve 2011 for my next opportunity.

(Continued in Next Post)

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 03-18-2011, 07:30 PM   #410
PrincessInOz
in

(Continued from Previous Post)

Madness! Just Plain Madness! In the name of Charity

The Birdman Rally has been a feature of Moomba for as long as I can remember. Its an event where people get to live out their Leonardo da Vinci fantasies and probably spend the better part of a year designing and scheming on their Birdman tendencies. But it is all for a good cause. All the entrants also spend their time raising money for their nominated charities, which I guess is a worthwhile cause.

I got into the city a bit later than I had planned and the Rally was already in full swing….plus there were throngs of people there so I didn’t really have the best view.

The idea is a simple concept….

Take a platform and a contraption that you think will fly. Run as fast as you on the platform….

And keep going ….

….for as long as inertia or your contraption will let you.

No matter what you try to do…..

….You’ll eventually get wet!

And then the Emergency services will have to step in…

To bail you…

….and your contraption out of the water.

Doesn’t matter how elaborate you make your wings….

….the results are always the same.

Wipeout

…followed by Cleanup.

The other event that draws crowds along the Yarra is the waterskiing.

This is always a huge hit with the people sitting along the banks….

I always like the free music….

…just my luck. Gospel choir was out today, singing In Unison.

(Continued in Next Post)

Last edited by PrincessInOz; 03-18-2011 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:32 PM   #411
PrincessInOz
in

Moomba Parade - Part 1

One of the highlights of Moomba is the parade. And because the scavenger hunt is still going, I’m gonna claim that the parade is our version of Mardi Gras.

The boys decided that they didn’t want to go, so I went in early and staked out a piece of prime real estate on the fence line.

I haven’t been to a Moomba parade in years! From what I remember, it used to be a ragtag of floats and groups that just walked down one of the main thoroughfares in Melbourne, Swanston Street, without any connection. I also remember that for anyone who wanted to form a group and march on Moomba day, they only needed to pay the float fee and they were ‘in’. Made for some interesting and sub-par parades in the past.

Turns out that someone must have decided to put a stop to the ‘free for all’ and introduced a theme to the parade. I don’t know whether it was just this year’s parade or whether it had been in place for a number of years….but this year’s parade focused on the many Festivals and Major Events that Melbourne likes to pride itself on. And it was ordered by months in the year!

Each month had a “month marshall”…

…And the parade started bang on time!

January. It’s summer in Melbourne.

…and the festival of….well….you can read the sign yourself. I don’t want to type a word that might get me banned or earn points towards a banning on the Dis.

The Bridal show is also on in January.

We also had marching bands with instruments in use, all marching in unison

I have to slip in the picture of my heroes….the State Emergency Services.

February. Back to school.

I’d hate to run into these guys in a dark alley…but it was nice to see the colour and the multiculturalism that is so much a fabric of Melbourne.

March. It’s Moomba time!

This off-road vehicle, in use….

….representing the Birdman Rally float!

Our Indonesian neighbours were well represented in the parade.

They were out in force, in beautiful traditional costumes, complete with umbrella in use

March is also the month for Women’s Rights – Votes for Women!

April. Complete with Funny Sign

King Tut floated on by as well…

…there’s an exhibition on in April!

(Continued in Next Post)

Last edited by PrincessInOz; 03-18-2011 at 08:02 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:35 PM   #412
PrincessInOz
in

Moomba Parade - Part 2

May. A time for the Fringe Art festival

June. World Environment Day….

….and the treelovers are out in force.

And did you know that the Girl Guides celebrate their centenary this year in June?

The parade kept going with hiphop dancers…

….and hip HOPPERS!

July. Brought me an umbrella in use.

There is only one thing that is talked about during July….Aussie Rules Footy!

In a city of over 4 million supporters….

August. Diwali celebrations for our Indian community.

Jai Ho – Colour…

….and Motion!

August is also Food and Wine festival in Melbourne!

Lots of food on offer...

...and lots of restaurant tables to eat at.

September. Springtime and the Fashion Show!

Not fashion that I’ll be wearing anytime soon.

I guess this is as close as the supermodels are going to get to waving at me.

September is also the Royal Melbourne Show time!

We always love to go to the showgrounds to look at the animals..

….food, woodchopping….

…well trained dogs!

(Continued in Next Post)

Last edited by PrincessInOz; 03-18-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:39 PM   #413
PrincessInOz
in

Moomba Parade - Part 3

October. International Arts Festival time.

Mr October and I had a thing going…

….I just loved what he was doing with his...er...stand…

…and he kept heading my way!

So, I almost missed the Fringe Festival float.

November. Is there anything else but the Melbourne Cup on this month?

It’s the “Race that stops the Nation” and Melbournians get a public holiday day for this horse race.

Lots of dress-ups…

…top hats and tails!

December. Summer and the sounds of cricket!

Dancesport championships will be in town.

Grab your partner, preferably with some fringe action…

And sashay on down the road…

Don’t forget to strike a pose!

And what parade is complete without Santa, Aussie Style…

…and his Six White Boomers!

Yes, it was a good parade, with lots of high points…

…lots to take a gander at…

..a right Melbournian Hoe-Down….

The Moomba parade always ends with the King (and Queen – hidden) of Moomba…

…and the Chinese dragon, reputed to be the longest outside mainland China.

I hope you’ve enjoyed the parade and the Moomba segue. I know had a blast last weekend!

Last edited by PrincessInOz; 03-18-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:42 PM   #414
tiggrbaby
We must work harder to stay under the radar for this oneWe always bring our own inflatable noodle

Wow, that Moomba festival looks like a lot of fun! Thanks for sharing!

DISboards 2104 Book Challenge: 10/40
DISboards 2013 Book Challenge: 36/35
tiggrbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:08 PM   #415
eeyore7360nc
DIS Veteran

What a great parade. All those scavenger hunt finds.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:04 PM   #416
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Quote:

It's great that you got to cover so much, and so many aspects of California. And try most of thier food too.
Quote:
Plan #1 - DH and I were keen to hit the Iberian trail...Spain, Portugal and then head towards Morocco and Tunisia. We would have probably managed a side trip to EuroDisney. I think the uprising in Tunisia stopped that one in the tracks.
Still not a bad choice even without Tunisia. You could add a little Italy if you need to cover more distance in a trip.
Quote:
Plan #2 - I then thought of heading to Egypt and see the Pyramids. That planning didn't even get off the ground. 3 weeks after Tunisia, Egypt was also off the bucket list.
Of course I would just add Egypt to Plan #1 but it may take a long time until either of the contries are safe enough to travel to.
Quote:
#3 would be my first choice. Do you like skiing trees? Powder snow? Northern Japan is supposed to be awesome for both. Though a friend of mine just went. He bragged about all the new snow there and I told him we got about 1.5 meters while he was gone so I'm not jealous.Also TDL is the main reason I'd want to go to Japan.

Perhaprs if you visit there it would be a gracious thing to do as the rebuild what they have recently lost. Perhaps some good deals will come along too.
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:10 PM   #417
TheColtonsMom
DIS Veteran

Colton & I just "watched" the parade he really liked the Kangaroos on Santa's sleigh and the guys dressed up as tires. Looks like a really fun day!

My 2010 Christmas TR is at http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2613318
My 2011 Halloween PTR is at http://www.disboards.com/showthread....613318&page=29
Me Sherri , DH Brant ,DS6Colton
TheColtonsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:02 AM   #418
queenie82
Queen of the 5 Castles

queenie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:04 AM   #419
AussieDisneyNut
Mouseketeer

OMG Princess... it has been so long since we have been to Moomba! Your pic's make me want to go again ... maybe next year! It is such a fun celebration, sometimes we forget all the good things in our own backyard!
Old 03-19-2011, 11:08 AM   #420
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

OK! You've convinced me...I'm coming to visit!

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR IN PROGRESS!!
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: