Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2011, 04:11 PM   #46
yaytezIOA
ioacentralveteran
 
yaytezIOA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,763

Wow...you tend to forget the characters you've seen until you dont see them listed. They tend to roll out more when it's busier, and limit the interactions with the regular characters. Jimmy still comes out, as does Spongebob. They used to have Crash Bandicoot. I've seen a ton of storybook characters other than Shrek and Fiona around that ride. They've had the ugly step-sister, Rapunzel, Hansel and Gretel. The entire Scooby Doo Gang. This was all during busy times in the summer.
At Islands I've seen Dragons walking around, Hulk (though admittedly once), Dudley Do-Right, Beetle Baily, Sarge and the stupid guy from that comic strip and Bluto.
In Jurassic Park they have had Ian Malcolm and John Hammond, as well as a baby Trike puppet.
Thats the cool thing about Universal, unlike Disney where everything is scheduled, you never know who you'll see walking around.
__________________
yaytezIOA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:06 AM   #47
WendyLovesPeter
I wanna go back. I gotta go back to WDW!
 
WendyLovesPeter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: OH
Posts: 967

my kids have had some fun interaction with WDW characters... wondering do the US/IOA characters "play the part" or are they just people dressed up? Also is it as big a mob to see the characters (as WDW)?
WendyLovesPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-06-2011, 02:52 PM   #48
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney
 
Metro West's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NW Orlando, FL
Posts: 44,360
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyLovesPeter View Post
my kids have had some fun interaction with WDW characters... wondering do the US/IOA characters "play the part" or are they just people dressed up? Also is it as big a mob to see the characters (as WDW)?
I think you and your kids will be pleasantly surprised by the interaction of the characters at Universal and IOA. The lines aren't as bad to get to them either. The characters I've seen over the years really seem to have a good time with the guests.
__________________
**** Universal Orlando annual passholder since 2004! ****
Metro West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:18 PM   #49
Berlioz70
DIS Veteran
 
Berlioz70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,567

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaytezIOA View Post
Wow...you tend to forget the characters you've seen until you dont see them listed. They tend to roll out more when it's busier, and limit the interactions with the regular characters. Jimmy still comes out, as does Spongebob. They used to have Crash Bandicoot. I've seen a ton of storybook characters other than Shrek and Fiona around that ride. They've had the ugly step-sister, Rapunzel, Hansel and Gretel. The entire Scooby Doo Gang. This was all during busy times in the summer.
At Islands I've seen Dragons walking around, Hulk (though admittedly once), Dudley Do-Right, Beetle Baily, Sarge and the stupid guy from that comic strip and Bluto.
In Jurassic Park they have had Ian Malcolm and John Hammond, as well as a baby Trike puppet.
Thats the cool thing about Universal, unlike Disney where everything is scheduled, you never know who you'll see walking around.
That's good to know. I just received my pass at the end of August in 2010, so I'll look at spending more time there this summer to see who I can see.

The team member told me that Diego had replaced Jimmy? But again, I've only been during off peak times. SpongeBob is included on the site, he's out every day.
Berlioz70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:03 AM   #50
heatherenae71
Mouseketeer
 
heatherenae71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: The Show-Me State
Posts: 277

Does Fievel make an appearance (do a Meet & Greet) at his playground in Universal Studios?!?!
__________________


2011 - US/IoA - Royal Pacific; WDW - Contemporary Resort Tower BLV; 2012 - DL/CA - Ramada Plaza
heatherenae71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:46 PM   #51
Berlioz70
DIS Veteran
 
Berlioz70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,567

I've never seen him. But here's a cute video from an appearance in Hollywood!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjX0-qiwYnw
Berlioz70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:35 PM   #52
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney
 
Metro West's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NW Orlando, FL
Posts: 44,360
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherenae71 View Post
Does Fievel make an appearance (do a Meet & Greet) at his playground in Universal Studios?!?!
I don't remember seeing him for years! It's a shame he's not around more.
__________________
**** Universal Orlando annual passholder since 2004! ****
Metro West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:31 PM   #53
texasteacher35
DIS Veteran
 
texasteacher35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,963

Thanks so much for the site!!!! Great info!!
__________________
Wendy
Me(40), DH(38), DD(17), DS(7)

DL GCV 4/2013...WLV 6/2013...SSR 7/2013
JANUARY 2012- BCV, DECEMBER 2012- SSR, AUGUST 2012- BWV, JUNE 2012-Our 1st Star Wars Weekend- BLT, 3/2012- BLT, 1/2012- BCV, 11/2011- WBC, MAY 2011/ CBR Pirate Room, 11/2010- CR Tower, 7/2010- YACHT CLUB, 11/2009- CBR Pirate Room, 10/2001- GF
texasteacher35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:46 PM   #54
Berlioz70
DIS Veteran
 
Berlioz70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,567

I haven't had the chance to see them yet (hopefully April 2nd), but here's a picture of the new HOP characters that will be out through April 5th:

Berlioz70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:52 PM   #55
Gillbob316
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 17

I'm a huge Marvel fan, so I figured I'd throw some personal observations I've noticed at the parks into the hat...

1st off, someone mentioned they weren't sure if Green Goblin did autographs early in the thread. He does. I distinctly remember him signing autograph books and then dropping them on the ground or tossing them over his shoulder in a very villainesque manner. (If I'm not mistaken the Grinch will occasionally do the same?) As for Doom, he goes for the more silent and intimidating thing so... I honestly don't remember if he did.

Now in regard to Doom and Goblin do they even still MAKE appearances? I've been going to IoA annually for years and as far as I can tell, they stopped appearing regularly... a while ago. If they appear at all. At some point they just replaced the two of them with Cyclops. I asked an employee once and I think the explanation I got was there was a logical disconnect that the villains would be... posing for pictures and such. So they worked them out of the rotation. I dunno.

If they still appear sporadically, it's possible I just miss them every trip, heh.

ANYWAY... Moving on... a few Marvel rarities...

I know Marvel's Halloween Horror Nights was themed around Carnage one year. I have no idea if he did pictures though, since I didn't attend HHN that year.

Hulk made appearances in Marvel Superhero Island around the release of the first Hulk movie. The suit was quite large and cumbersome, more foam than man, lol... so he didn't come out with the other heroes, he just made occasional scheduled appearances near the rollercoaster, and you could purchase the photos up front. (Sort of how Spider-Man works). Like I said, this went on for the months surrounding the first Hulk movie's release. I have no idea if he's made appearances since.

Now this is the REAL doosie... That's boggled my mind for ages...

I met Invisible Woman (of the Fantastic Four) at IoA once. Seriously ONE TIME. lol... It was New Years eve... during the all night long Universal New Year's Eve countdown bash. She was in Marvel Superhero Island making appearances with Rogue or Storm all night throughout the party. No idea why she was there that ONE night for that ONE celebration. Might have been just a special event thing. No idea why it was just her, and not the whole Fantastic Four. No idea why I've never seen her there before or since. Like I said, it's boggled my mind for ages, lol. I may have a picture somewhere, but if I do, it's... lost, hehe... (Anyone that can back me up on this? I can't be the only one who was there that New Years Eve.)

(PS. I know the FF appeared in the HHN Bill & Ted show in '05, this was NOT that Invisible Woman. It was before that. Like I said, it was New Years... I want to say '03, but I can't be certain. And it was Comic Book Invisible Woman, not Movie Costume.)

So to sum up...

Goblin and Doom used to be regular but are now defunct or at least just occasional appearances?

Hulk, Carnage & Invisible Woman were seasonal/special occasion? Maybe? At best? lol... at the very least, not regular, but they have made appearances. Two I saw with my own eyes. Carnage I'm just aware of through... the internet & TV.

Last edited by Gillbob316; 03-23-2011 at 11:02 PM.
Gillbob316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:55 PM   #56
LuvMickey36
Mouseketeer
 
LuvMickey36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlioz70 View Post
I haven't had the chance to see them yet (hopefully April 2nd), but here's a picture of the new HOP characters that will be out through April 5th:


They are so cute!! My ds is so excited to see this movie! Do you think that they will keep them out until easter? I know they say 4/5, but since they are easter characters
__________________
Me
DS8


Harry Potter here we come! 4/17-23/11!!!


Been to the mouse house over 100+ times since 1971.[/SIZE][/FONT]
LuvMickey36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:12 PM   #57
Berlioz70
DIS Veteran
 
Berlioz70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,567

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillbob316 View Post
Goblin and Doom used to be regular but are now defunct or at least just occasional appearances?
I met them both on Friday, February 18th, 2011. That was the first time I had seen Doom, but the third or fourth time I've seen Goblin since August.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMickey36 View Post
They are so cute!! My ds is so excited to see this movie! Do you think that they will keep them out until easter? I know they say 4/5, but since they are easter characters
You know, I had the same thought. I was planning on a late April visit, because I made the same assumption you did and figured they'd be out to at least Easter. When I head over next weekend, I'll be sure to ask!
Berlioz70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 04:09 PM   #58
Berlioz70
DIS Veteran
 
Berlioz70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,567

Just got back from Universal.

I met all 6 of the HOP Characters:

Pink Berets - Bit, Fluffy, and Patch
Chicks - Carlos and Phil
E.B.

Additionally, I also visited the KidZone Mardi Pardi to get pictures with the characters in their special Mardi Gras clothing.

I also found some characters outside of areas I usually see them (Marge, Homer, and Beetlejuice).

And found some new UNEXPECTED characters: Bullwinkle and Shrimp Louie.

All of the new pictures are linked from the home page!

Very successful day and it only took 90 minutes!

UOCharacterHunt
Berlioz70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:05 PM   #59
HLAuburn
DIS Veteran
 
HLAuburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ponte Vedra, FL
Posts: 4,183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlioz70 View Post
Just got back from Universal.

I met all 6 of the HOP Characters:

Pink Berets - Bit, Fluffy, and Patch
Chicks - Carlos and Phil
E.B.

Additionally, I also visited the KidZone Mardi Pardi to get pictures with the characters in their special Mardi Gras clothing.

I also found some characters outside of areas I usually see them (Marge, Homer, and Beetlejuice).

And found some new UNEXPECTED characters: Bullwinkle and Shrimp Louie.

All of the new pictures are linked from the home page!

Very successful day and it only took 90 minutes!

UOCharacterHunt
Great pictures!

Do you happen to know if SpongeBob is still making appearances in the Nick store now that the Jimmy Neutron ride is closed?
HLAuburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:55 PM   #60
Berlioz70
DIS Veteran
 
Berlioz70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,567

Yep - SpongeBob is out daily!
Berlioz70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
autographs, characters



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: