Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Weddings and Honeymoons > Planning our Happily Ever After
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2010, 04:39 AM   #16
angel81uk
Mouseketeer

Well, today is exactly 8 months out from the wedding (and 1 year since we last returned from WDW) and I cant believe how quickly it's going! I really feel we should have so much more sorted by now but I think we will be ok.

I ordered the shoes and they fit perfectly so that's one thing crossed off the list. I've decided who I would like to use for hair and make up and the officiant, I'm just waiting to get the call from DFTW on Monday to say we got the date before I go ahead and book them. I've seen quite a few peacock feather accessories on etsy that I quite like so Im leaning towards those sort of colours for inspiration.

We are currently looking at locations to hold a reception and DP. Initially we were thinking of Epcot but since we have booked our photography with the lovely Roots we are definitely going for a non park location. We would like to hold both the reception and DP outdoors but I'm still searching with my sales consultant for the perfect location. Sago cay would be the obvious choice but I'm just not sure it's right for us so I'm hoping we can find something else.

We are going to have to put wedding planning on the back burner for a couple of weeks now as we're both working on a really big project that's taking up all our time. Once that's out of the way I really want to get moving on the at home reception as there's so much to organise. We are going to hold a garden party at my parents and as Spencer is an event producer we are going to be doing everything ourselves. So we've got to find a structure, furniture hire, caterers, entertainment, florists and a whole lot more! We can't even use the suppliers Spencer would normally use as it's going to be in a different part of the country.

Once the big project is over we have a gap of 4 months before we have to do it all over again. That's absolutely terrifying right now! 8 months seems like a reasonable length of time but when I look at the calendar and think I've only got 4 months in which I can work on the wedding and the list of things we still have to do I can't help but feel nervous!
14 Nights with Mum YC & OKW Oct 2012

angel81uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:49 AM   #17
FutureMrs.B
DIS Veteran

Hi. I just found your post and am joining in. I luv your dress and shoes. They're gorgeous. I can see what you mean about becoming stressed. But it sounds like to me that you already know what you have to do and have an idea how to go about it. To me that's half the battle. Once that's determined than you just start working on what you need to. It's ok to be nervous but don't stress yourself out. This is supposed to be a happy time. Enjoy it!
FutureMrs.B is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-12-2010, 09:46 AM   #18
tinkerbell 766
If I can't fly, let me sing. Or, in other words if I can't be in Disney, let me talk about it !
DLRP is quite simply my spiritual home

Lovely to get an update!!
Don't panic you have plenty of time to do everything. You have a dress and some shoes to die for - what else matters??!!

tinkerbell 766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:06 AM   #19
angel81uk
Mouseketeer

Well big project number one is over and done with and we've caught up on all the missed sleep from working 18 hour days! So i guess it's time to get back to the planning now.

We're now officially booked in for SBP on May 11th at 2:30pm, the LOA is signed and we've been assigned Kathleen Reynolds as our planner. It's really encouraging to see so many people have loved working with Kathleen so I'm looking forward to it. We've also decided we would like to have a reception at Sago Cay. After not being to sure about it previously we decided it really does fit our wants and needs the best so I hope it's still available! Now I've just got to rein myself in from spending too much on decor!

The next plan is to take a trip to my parents at some point in the next few weeks so we can start making plans for our at home reception. We've decided on a traditional village fete meets garden party theme so we're looking for something along the lines of a traditional marquee, lots of decor and budget permitting lots and lots of floral. My mum and I have been buying up lots of vintage tea cups and tea pots etc to use as table centerpieces which we can fill with flowers and I'm hoping to find some pretty glasswear too. I'm also looking into the possibility of making some pretty bunting and perhaps even some simple quilts and cushions to scatter around the garden for some informal seating.

It's also time to start thinking about getting in shape for the wedding. I'm wanting to tone up a bit and Spencer is wanting to lose a bit of weight so he wanted us to join the local gym. I HATE gyms with a passion! Just the thought of paying all that money for membership only to have to wait for equipment to be free makes me feel angry! So instead I've just bought us a cross trainer. Being able to exercise in my PJ's in the comfort of our own home sounds much more appealing and will cost us about the same as three months gym membership which leaves much more money in the wedding budget!

Old 10-08-2010, 02:24 PM   #20
KitKat5
Mouseketeer

Hiya! Just joining in! Everything sounds great so far...I love the sound of your at home reception too!! I hope you got those shoes...they are gorgeous!! Cant wait to read more about your planning!

KitKat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:23 PM   #21
angel81uk
Mouseketeer

It's been such a long time since I've updated my PJ, it's sooo bad of me! For ages it hasn't really felt as though I've had anything worth writing about as we've been stuck at the decision making stages. But there have been A LOT of big changes in our lives over the last month or so that's having an affect on the wedding so I guess it's time for an update.

So last time I updated we had the ceremony booked for SBP, I was thinking about booking Sago Cay, I had my shoes and my dress was on order. We were also in the early stages of planning our at home reception.

Well, unfortunately in the last few weeks we've had to cancel plans for the at home reception. We've been thinking about setting up our own business for quite a while but Spencer had a few concerns about finding clients, giving up his current job etc so it was in the "we'll do it some day" category. Then all of a sudden, completely out of the blue a potential client came to us with an offer we couldn't refuse! And then news started to get round and another client came forward with the offer for around 4 jobs a month . So at this point we finally decided to go for it, it was going to mean a few months of stress and a couple of months without an income during the transition stage, but it's not every day an opportunity like this falls in to your lap! We'd be stupid to turn down such an offer.

It did however mean that the garden party had to be canceled. Spencers employer was very kindly going to contribute towards the cost as a gift but of course we couldn't accept such a generous offer if Spencer was about to resign! And knowing that there would be a couple of months without an income we decided it made more sense to keep some of our savings back to make sure we could survive. Sure I was kind of disappointed, but setting up the company had such huge potential that it had to take priority over the at home reception.

So the company was set up and Spencer handed in his resignation. Then it all started to go wrong The client offering to match his salary started to screw with us, his employers went absolutely nuts when they found out they were losing him and it all seemed to be crumbling beneath us. Sure we could still afford to get married, but it was looking like we'd be pretty broke afterward if we couldn't find new clients.

I cannot even begin to tell you how shocked I was when Spencers employers came back and said they were so upset about potentially losing him that they were willing to match the offer of the client who was giving us problems! AND we've since had 3 other potential clients approach us wanting to give us regular work! It's still early days as yet as Spencer is still working his notice before making the switch to working for them on a self employed basis, but there's a very real possibility that we're going to end up with more work than we're able to handle!

It's an amazing position to be in and I truly am grateful we've been given such an amazing opportunity, but the timing sure sucks! If this all happened six months ago, or if we could delay the wedding it wouldn't be so bad, but it's been a whole heap of stress that I could do without right now! Oh and did I mention that this all started 1 week in to me giving up smoking?! How I haven't snapped and murdered someone yet I'll never know.

Time for a cup of tea before I carry on I think!

Old 02-10-2011, 04:27 PM   #22
angel81uk
Mouseketeer

Ok, so the at home reception has been cancelled, we've started up a business and I'm 3 weeks in to giving up smoking. What else has changed?

Well, first of all we have booked Sago Cay! We're yet to decide on a menu but we've booked a dinner reception and dessert party back to back so we can enjoy the space for a bit longer than they'd usually let us book it for as an Escape package. And even better we only have to meet the $1000 F&B minimum, not the combined $1000 for a reception and $500 for the dessert party! As we're such a small party we were going to struggle to spend $1500 without adding in lot of unnecessary "stuff", so that's going to be something of a lifesaver for us.

We had managed to decide on a customized menu and had it all agreed. Then a couple of our guests had to drop out. Sad for us, Spencer was best man at their wedding a few years ago so we were really looking forward to sharing our wedding day with them. But they've dropped out for the most wonderful of reasons, they're expecting twins!!! They'd kept it quiet for quite some time so it turns out they're due late May so there's no way they could join us! Unfortunately it does mean that we now have so few guests that the chefs won't provide a buffet anymore. Not good considering that Sago Cay is a buffet only location! Fortunately Kathleen came to the rescue again and has talked them into doing a plated menu instead. It's not the buffet we had wanted, but at least we can still keep the location!

I've also booked Patricia Lejeune for hair and make up. This was quite a big one for me as I'm a trained hair & makeup artists myself. I could have done it myself but it's nice to enjoy a bit of pampering every now and then. I know she gets good reviews on the boards but I just wanted to make extra sure so I asked our photographers for a recommendation. I know from my own work that if theirs one person who really gets to see a wide variety of make up work and really scrutinize it up close it's the person who sits down and spends an age editing photos/video. The Roots recommended Patricia so it was a done deal. I didn't feel a trial run was needed but I've had to book one anyway to make sure I meet her services minimum. It's extra money I'd rather not have spent but hey ho. So she will be doing a trial the day before the wedding which works out ok as we're doing and "engagement" shoot that afternoon.

After a lot of deliberation I've also booked Ron Rosenzweig to carry out the ceremony. I have to be honest and say he wasn't top of our list initially, but Spencer is an atheist, the kind that would be quite angry if an officiant tried to slip a bit of religion into the ceremony. And as we've heard quite a few of the others slip up on this point we decided it would be safer to hire Ron.

I've had a planning call with Kathleen and another with Rosie and sent them both copies of my keynote document/mood board/look book. Kathleen has sent me my first BEO which is right on target, we're just waiting on the floral budget right now. I hope it's not going to be too shocking! I'm hoping to reuse a lot of the floral I'm adding to the ceremony at the reception which should help, but then I'm hoping to add hanging lanterns and other decor to SCP and I've gone for expensive blooms like peonies so I'll wait and see! I'm keeping my fingers crossed at this stage. As we're not spending a fortune on F&B and we're not adding characters, in park shoots etc I always new I would have to add something extra in to meet the $7500 minimum. It's just difficult to know if I've added just the right amount or far too much until I get the floral budget back.

And finally I had a call a couple of days ago to say my dress has arrived! I can't wait to book a fitting but I just don't have time to do it right now what with setting up the business, Spencer working on one last huge project and all the other crap that's going on. It would be easier if the dress shop was local but I'm going to need to book a trip to my parents for a few days to get to the shop. At the moment it looks like that wont be a possibility until the beginning of next month. Ah well, I'll just have to wait!

Old 02-10-2011, 04:42 PM   #23
angel81uk
Mouseketeer

Oh, of course, there's one more thing! I can't believe I forgot as it's the reason I came here to update!

We decided ages ago that if finances permitted we wanted to book ourselves into a deluxe resort for a few days during the wedding. It's a bit of an extravagance as we're already booked for 21 nights at SSR with deluxe dining, but it's the one thing we really wanted to treat ourselves to.

Our usual indecisiveness kicked in though and we couldn't decide which resort we wanted to stay at. I always thought it would be BWI so we could be close to the ceremony and within walking distance of Epcot but was still undecided. Neither of us are huge fans of the GF as a hotel so that was out and the Poly seemed too busy somehow for a wedding. After lots of too'ing and fro'ing over which resort to choose and umm'ing and ahh'ing over cost I went ahead today and booked 3 nights in a MK view room at the Contemporary! It made sense to be at a monorail resort as we have ADR's booked at monorail resorts over those days and I know Spencer would love to stay there.

It's made me excited about the whole wedding again!

Old 02-10-2011, 07:42 PM   #24
elle1024
Mouseketeer

Hi there! Just joining in...
Love your dress, it looks great on you!!
&&& I love the wedding date you chose, it's my birthday! LOL

[CENTER]Gisselle & Jose & our little Dylan
elle1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:14 AM   #25
angel81uk
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle1024 View Post
Hi there! Just joining in...
Love your dress, it looks great on you!!
&&& I love the wedding date you chose, it's my birthday! LOL
Thank you, I think I needed to hear that right now!

Doubts have started to creep in about the dress and I've been starting to think I should have waited a little longer a tried a few more on. I've been avoiding looking at dresses online and in magazines etc since I ordered mine because I didn't want to fall in love with something I couldn't have, but a few weeks ago I went to the designers site to send a link to my dress to a friend. Of course right there, in their new season collection, was the exact dress I had set out to look for in the first place . It's like they'd stolen the thoughts from my mind and used them as a template to make my perfect dress, that's how close it is!

Right now I'm going along with pretending to myself that the new dress wouldn't look so good in person, wouldn't suit me, would be the wrong colour etc. Sure, I still love my dress, I'm just worried I might love their new one a little bit more! I'm putting it down to the fact that it's soooo long since I've seen my dress in person, I'm sure once I go in for my fitting I'll fall in love with it all over again.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:40 AM   #26
tinkerbell 766
If I can't fly, let me sing. Or, in other words if I can't be in Disney, let me talk about it !
DLRP is quite simply my spiritual home

Louise sweetie - IMHO your dress is fabulous (so are your shoes ) and I wouldn't even try on the other one!!! You will look stunning!!! We all have doubt from time to time about our choices, but something made you choose that dress in the first place and I suspect it was that you felt it was the 'one'!!! Trust that!!

tinkerbell 766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:06 PM   #27
angel81uk
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell 766 View Post
Louise sweetie - IMHO your dress is fabulous (so are your shoes ) and I wouldn't even try on the other one!!! You will look stunning!!! We all have doubt from time to time about our choices, but something made you choose that dress in the first place and I suspect it was that you felt it was the 'one'!!! Trust that!!
Thanks Joanne, you're right. I've just got to trust that I picked the right dress in the first place. One things for sure though, there's no way I'm going to torture myself by so much as even looking at the new designs in the store when I go for my fitting!

Old 02-11-2011, 12:48 PM   #28
angel81uk
Mouseketeer

So I've started work on some other bits and pieces. Current project is an itinerary booklet I'm creating for the guests who've asked me to plan their days for them. I'm still filling in information but at the moment they're looking something like this

The plan is to print them out and create an A5 size booklet that contains everything they'll need to know. A page per day with ADR's park opening hours, facts and figures, an overview of what each park has to offer and perhaps a second page with a suggested touring plan/list of best time to visit attractions. For the guests who're planning their own itinerary I'll use the same template to create a mini guide book.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:58 PM   #29
angel81uk
Mouseketeer

And here's a mood board that kind of pulls together various parts of the keynote document I sent to Kathleen and Rosie. It doesn't include everything but it gives a quick overview. As you can see I finally decided on a colour scheme that I think will work much better than the ones I was originally looking at and still ties in with the things I've already bought.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:17 AM   #30
angel81uk
Mouseketeer

As well as our wedding trip it's going to be something of a dining extravaganza! We got a package with free ddp AND 43% off at SSR, a good deal but last time we used the ddp we found we spent quite a bit extra on appetizers and breakfast etc and really enjoyed the signature restaurants. So this time round we've decided to upgrade, 3 weeks on deluxe dining is going to be a huge amount of food, but it should actually work out to be pretty good value for us.

Of course 21 nights means we needed to book a whole lot of ADR's! It's not normally the best use of the DxDDP but to try an prevent waddling around the parks feeling like we're fit to burst we've only booked a few TS meals for lunches and breakfasts. Because we only paid the upgrade amount it still works out to be good value and we're not tied to three ADR's a day.

I keep on tweaking the plans but at the moment our ADR list looks something like this:

Breakfasts:
Tusker House
Kona Cafe
Crystal Palace
The Wave

Lunches:
Teppan Edo
Sci-Fi Dine In
Yak & Yeti x 2
Tutto Italia
Cap'n Jacks
Sanaa