Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2010, 03:06 PM   #31
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

I just have to say YOU ARE AMAZING!!! First the adoption....what a wonderful family you are for adopting those children. What an awesome gift you are giving them! The Twilight Party OMG!!!!! You are my idol. That looked incredible! The t- shirts; done already? I will actually be at Disney the same time and haven't even picked out my designs yet. I can never seem to figure out the shirt color that will coordinate with the design. How did you get the design on the t-shirt color to see what it would look like? That would certainly help me.

Lastly, did you know you could enter as early as 4PM the night of the MVMCP? That is actually the same night I am going too.

Your plans are amazing, your family is amazing and the fact you are so organized is....AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsu p2
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:00 PM   #32
mom-n-michaela
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgirl View Post
I just have to say YOU ARE AMAZING!!! First the adoption....what a wonderful family you are for adopting those children. What an awesome gift you are giving them! The Twilight Party OMG!!!!! You are my idol. That looked incredible! The t- shirts; done already? I will actually be at Disney the same time and haven't even picked out my designs yet. I can never seem to figure out the shirt color that will coordinate with the design. How did you get the design on the t-shirt color to see what it would look like? That would certainly help me.

Lastly, did you know you could enter as early as 4PM the night of the MVMCP? That is actually the same night I am going too.

Your plans are amazing, your family is amazing and the fact you are so organized is....AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsu p2

So glad to have you on my PTR! Thank you so much for all the compliments My husband and I always wanted 4 kids, so when we couldn't have another after our daughter adopting through the foster system just came as natural decision for us. It started out mostly selfishly, honestly, wanting to grow our family - but these kids had it pretty rough - their mother and grandmother both had grown up in the foster system, and had they not found a family I know it would have continued the cycle so it does bring me great joy that we might be giving them a chance at a normal, happy and loving life.

Organization - yeah sometimes that is unfortunate because I drive my family crazy for things like getting ready for Disney - but I keep SWEARING to them they will all thank me & my OCD tendencies when we aren't running around like chickens the last week getting ready, and when our vacation goes smoothly and is more fun than they could have imagined!!! Hopefully I am right!!

As far as the party - well - that is a HUGE obsession of mine! I just love parties and entertaining, so I do tend to go overboard! If I could do it as a business I would, unfortunately in our little area most people just don't seem to be that into entertaining/throwing parties

The shirts - how I did my 'mockups' was I went to jiffyshirts...on their site you can click on the shirt color of your choice and it opens larger in a new window. What I did was save a copy of the picture for all the shirt colors I liked, then in a photo editing program you just open the shirt picture and also the picture of the design you want to see on that color. Then superimpose the design by cutting and pasting onto the t-shirt image (once you do that you should be able to resize and move the design around on top of the shirt image). You have to play with the size of the design to make it look 'right' on the shirt, and then I just saved copies of the ones I liked so I could show my SIL.

That's so cool that we're going to MVMCP on the same night - maybe we'll see each other! I did hear that you could get in at 4, that is pretty cool! For us though, since we're using that as our 2nd Magic Kingdom day anyway, we are going to be there at park open and then take a break in the afternoon and go back to the room for supper and to let the kids rest a little, then go back maybe around 5 or so and stay for MVMCP. I am SO excited!! I've wanted to go back to Disney for 8 years, and to be going my favorite time of year and going to the Christmas party on top if it -

OK...enough about me - heading over to check out your PTR now!!

Me DH DD16 DS13 DS12 DD10
December 2013 - Art of Animation Resort for our 2nd Magical Christmas at Disney!
December 2010 - offsite
April 2003 - offsite
mom-n-michaela is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-12-2010, 08:58 PM   #33
mom-n-michaela
Mouseketeer

Just a quick update to explain the, well, lack of updates. Things have been pretty stressful around here, in general and also in regards to our trip. I am in a total funk, what I once was looking so forward to I now am almost dreading and I hate that. I have been under a lot of stress anyway, as my dad is going through chemo treatments (not something I have mentioned before, as I was trying to keep this upbeat but now...doesn't really matter). He was diagnosed with a very rare form of lymphoma - Mantle Cell Lymphoma. At any rate of course I have been stressed and worried about that and planning/looking forward to this trip was one of the few things I could use to take my mind off of that.

Now the last two weeks, it has become apparent that suddenly there are huge problems brewing between the other 2 adults that are involved in this trip (SIL and BIL). We feel blindsided...as does one of them...and it seems inevitable that they are going to separate soon. The problem DH and I are having with all of this is...it is his sister and her husband, and quite frankly right now we are more...conflicted...at this point with his sister, and I really can't get excited about going on vacation with just her and the kids without BIL considering our feelings about the situation at this point. Not to mention how unfair I feel it is for him to miss out on it, when he hasn't done anything (that we are aware of ) to suddenly cause all of this to happen. It sucks that because of what's happening between them he may miss out on seeing his kids experiencing Disney when the 4 of us have been planning it all along.

I love both of them and I won't choose sides - especially when we feel so bad for BIL right now. We don't know all of what is going on to cause this, and it's besides the point really...but at any rate it has caused nothing but stress when thinking about how this is going to affect our vacation.

I truly wish at this point I would have heeded other peoples' wise advice and not gone on vacation with another family...but the reason I wanted them to go along was because I knew their kids had never gone on vacation and I really wanted to help them get to experience the most magical place on earth. I still feel that way, for their kids. But now that it's potentially going to affect MY kids' vacation...I realize it wasn't worth it.

Sorry to devote an entire post to my own personal pity-party...but I can't muster the enthusiasm right now to post any other kind of update.

December 2013 - Art of Animation Resort for our 2nd Magical Christmas at Disney!
December 2010 - offsite
April 2003 - offsite
Old 10-12-2010, 09:36 PM   #34
mrsksomeday
My Prince uses a power wheelchair!

Mariah, I am so sorry to hear about your Dad . With all that is going on in your family I completely understand why you are not in the mood to update. I am glad you vented to us.

As for the other members of your family (BIL/SIL), I know the stress has to be affecting how you are thinking about the upcoming trip, but please try to focus on how wonderful your planning will make the trip for your immediate family.

Disney at Christmas time is truly magical and I hope you feel better when you get there.
mrsksomeday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:15 PM   #35
exwdwcm
wishes she was Wendy Moira Angela Darling

Hi Mariah- first so sorry to hear about your dad. Sending lots of hugs, prayers and pixie dust for him and all of you. We watched my cousin ( like a second mom) go through the 'red' chemo and saw how hard it can be. i hope he is doing okay.

As for your kiddos- hope they are doing well too- you must have the patience of a saint! i think all of you are very blessed to be together- they are so lucky to have loving parents that are there to give them a wonderful life and lots of love. i am so sorry to hear of what they have endured in the past and i know you will be dealing with the repercussions for a long time, but i know you can do it and love can conquer all!! they sound like amazing kids!

As for the drama with the others on the trip- so sorry. we had the exact same thing happen to us........my MIL has been married 4x now. She is a wonderful lady and i love her to death and we get along really well, but she has bad choices in men. So this latest hubby, she's been married to for a few years (after having an affair with him for like 20 years off and on). They both divorced their then spouses and got married finally a few years back. he was nice enough, but an alcoholic. So they were both invited to come on our trip with us. We even booked their airfare (they paid for it though). This was back in March. Then come about June/July, they have a big fight and it gets bad and now there is a restraining order against him and a divorce. So needless to say, he isn't coming now. I still haven't changed his name on our DVC ressie yet. And just this month, my MIL finally decided she would bring along my niece (her granddaughter). So that is fun- it worked out in the end, now my 10yo niece gets to come instead of the 'soon to be ex-hubby' and the niece will love it- she hasn't been on a plane before or even left Oklahoma i don't think. anyways, i hope you get a happy ending too!!! wnated to let you know you were not alone in the trip planning sort of falling apart.

keep your chin up and no reason to be 'upbeat' all the time- we all have drama and problems- it doesn't hurt to vent here, even online to your 'online friends' or strangers.

WDW College Program-Fall 96
84, 86-FTW, 93-FTW, 97, 98-OFFSITE, 00-POR, 03, 04, 05-GAYLORD, 04-POFQ, 05-POR, 06-CBR, 07-AKL, May 09-DIS Podcast Cruise, DEC 09-DAP/WL, Sept 10-DL, DEC 10 BLT, FEB 10 JOINED DVC! AUG 11 DLH, OCT 11 BLT, NOV 2012 BLT
exwdwcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:59 PM   #36
mom-n-michaela
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsksomeday View Post
Mariah, I am so sorry to hear about your Dad . With all that is going on in your family I completely understand why you are not in the mood to update. I am glad you vented to us.

As for the other members of your family (BIL/SIL), I know the stress has to be affecting how you are thinking about the upcoming trip, but please try to focus on how wonderful your planning will make the trip for your immediate family.

Disney at Christmas time is truly magical and I hope you feel better when you get there.
Thank you so much - I appreciate the hugs I am starting to feel better about the situation...it's going to be strange, but I will hopefully have more time to update all about that this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwdwcm View Post
Hi Mariah- first so sorry to hear about your dad. Sending lots of hugs, prayers and pixie dust for him and all of you. We watched my cousin ( like a second mom) go through the 'red' chemo and saw how hard it can be. i hope he is doing okay.

As for your kiddos- hope they are doing well too- you must have the patience of a saint! i think all of you are very blessed to be together- they are so lucky to have loving parents that are there to give them a wonderful life and lots of love. i am so sorry to hear of what they have endured in the past and i know you will be dealing with the repercussions for a long time, but i know you can do it and love can conquer all!! they sound like amazing kids!

As for the drama with the others on the trip- so sorry. we had the exact same thing happen to us........my MIL has been married 4x now. She is a wonderful lady and i love her to death and we get along really well, but she has bad choices in men. So this latest hubby, she's been married to for a few years (after having an affair with him for like 20 years off and on). They both divorced their then spouses and got married finally a few years back. he was nice enough, but an alcoholic. So they were both invited to come on our trip with us. We even booked their airfare (they paid for it though). This was back in March. Then come about June/July, they have a big fight and it gets bad and now there is a restraining order against him and a divorce. So needless to say, he isn't coming now. I still haven't changed his name on our DVC ressie yet. And just this month, my MIL finally decided she would bring along my niece (her granddaughter). So that is fun- it worked out in the end, now my 10yo niece gets to come instead of the 'soon to be ex-hubby' and the niece will love it- she hasn't been on a plane before or even left Oklahoma i don't think. anyways, i hope you get a happy ending too!!! wnated to let you know you were not alone in the trip planning sort of falling apart.

keep your chin up and no reason to be 'upbeat' all the time- we all have drama and problems- it doesn't hurt to vent here, even online to your 'online friends' or strangers.
Thank you so much, too! I really do appreciate the thoughts and hugs!! It's nice to be able to vent the things that are bothering me, it certainly did help to "talk" about it. And I am feeling better - but it's late and I've had a long day...so I'm really hoping to be able to post an update this weekend about everything that's been going on! I'm slowly starting to get some of that magical feeling back

December 2010 - offsite
April 2003 - offsite
Old 11-05-2010, 09:50 AM   #37
mom-n-michaela
Mouseketeer

4 weeks!

I just had to hop on quickly (while at work - oops!) to say that since I forgot to celebrate that it was my ONE MONTH MARK (!!!) when posting the other day - today I am going to have to celebrate that it is my 4 WEEK MARK! 28 days!!!!

Woooooo hoooooo!

December 2010 - offsite
April 2003 - offsite

Last edited by mom-n-michaela; 11-05-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:44 PM   #38
mom-n-michaela
Mouseketeer

Family drama...is our magical trip ruined??

Wow…it’s been a looong time since I’ve updated. I have had so much going on between the drama with our co-vacationers, being sick for almost 2 weeks (still trying to get rid of this dumb cough!), all of the medical appointments and caseworker appointments we’ve had plus working every day and TRYING to find time every evening to get our house ready for Christmas and ourselves ready for Disney…I need a vacation!! Oh - WAIT! I AM going on vacation! In….drumroll…14 days!!!!! Wait, did I say 14 days?!?! I’m so not ready!! Thank goodness we’ve blocked this weekend completely off to pack and finalize everything, or I’d be panicking!

OK…on with the update, and what an update it is!! I will break it down into segments to make it easier to digest.

The biggest topic, what has been weighing on our mind the most lately, is of course the drama that’s been going on with our BIL & SIL. Well…it’s complicated, to say the least. They are splitting up, BUT they are still both going on the vacation. This has both made me happy and entirely stressed me out beyond belief. Happy, because their kids will still get a hopefully happy, fun vacation with both of their parents - stressed, because I want my kids (and myself and DH!) to have a happy, fun vacation too and that will be more difficult to do that if there is all this negativity in the air. All I could imagine was tension so bad it almost crackles in the air, you know?

It’s a sad situation that I don’t fully understand, and have been worrying about (both personally as they are my family, and vacation-wise as to how strained it is going to be). I feel very sorry for my BIL for how everything has played out…his heart is just broken. My SIL…I love her…I just don’t agree with the decisions she’s making lately, I feel like she’s not the same person I have been close to for the last few years, it’s almost as though she’s a stranger because all of the things that have happened are things that have pretty well shocked her entire family. Enough said about that…I could certainly go on and on (and on). Anyhoo, they are still living together at this point and have talked through enough to be civil (most of the time) towards each other. In front of the kids, they are even friendly to each other - which out of all of this, as hard as it must be for BIL, I feel is the smartest thing they have done, so that the kids don’t come away feeling like mommy and daddy hate each other. They have agreed that this trip is entirely about the kids and making it special for them, since it will most likely be the last time they spend together as a family unit. They have promised there will be no tension, no bickering - nothing, and that they are working out all of their issues ahead of time and will not be discussing anything to do with their breakup during the trip. SIL says she still cares very much for him and hopes they come out in the end as friends, and that is how they are approaching the trip - talking and getting along as friends. I am just praying that is how it all plays out, for the sake of their kids. If they can pull that off - it will be probably one of the best memories for their kids, and maybe even help the kids deal with the split if they can see that they get along and care about each other.

So that's it for the update on the family drama...the trip must go on!!! And it must go on in exactly 2 weeks!!! In fact, right about now we should be driving just about out of Indiana!

2 week dance!

December 2010 - offsite
April 2003 - offsite
Old 11-19-2010, 06:54 PM   #39
mom-n-michaela
Mouseketeer

More projects completed!

With the family drama (hopefully) settled (at least as far as it pertains to the Disney trip), and once I got over being sick, I realized that I had spent so much time either worrying/talking/dreaming about how this whole situation with SIL & BIL was playing out or being sick…that I had not finished several projects I had intended to do for our trip. Pressed penny containers, finishing up t-shirts, autograph books and boredom boxes for the road, all uncompleted, some not even started! So for about the last 2 weeks, I have been a tornado of activity trying to get things done in time for the trip. Actually, trying to get things done before this coming weekend, since getting packed and getting the house decorated for Christmas makes for a pretty full weekend already. So far, I have completed the pressed penny containers, autograph books (thanks to my mom who spiral bound them for me at work!), and the boredom boxes! The only thing left to check off of my list of projects is finishing up our t-shirts. I should be able to get those completed in a few hours one evening, since I only have about 10 shirts left to do.

The pressed penny containers! I like how they turned out…I might have done a few things differently, but overall they are cute, the kids will like them and they serve their purpose! The Pressed Penny Money containers are all filled up with enough quarters and pennies to press 20 pennies per kid (Egads! Did I really give $81.60 of my hard-earned Disney money to these kids so they could have some flat pennies?!?! LOL)!

Autograph Books! I think these turned out cute…again, might be a few things I’d have done differently had I started working on these when I *should* have, but oh well! The kids will like them and that is all that really matters to me; that is why I made them!! Plus, even with the paper and the ink (which I got cheap from eBay…woohoo!), these ended up saving us money in the end over buying the autograph books they sell in the parks, and I think the kids will have a cute keepsake (smile)

Pizza?! Nope, just our boredom buster boxes! I found a place online that sold plain white pizza boxes, and thought that would be perfect! They’re flat, sturdy, and the kids could draw on them! The outsides are pretty plain-jane, just put a few Mickey-head decorations and their name in Disney-filled letters, but I didn’t want to over-do them because I wanted the kids to be able to kind of decorate them up themselves with the crayons and stickers and such. I may still add some things to them, depending on whether we find any other little items for them or not…but right now they consist of:

Tic-Tac-Toe game sheet, Tink for the girls and Mater for the boys

Christmas themed road-trip scavenger hunt game sheet (they check off things as they see them outside)

License plate checklist/game sheet

Extra sheets of paper for coloring, drawing, etc.

Letters inviting them to their character breakfasts - girls to Cinderella’s Castle for breakfast with the Princesses, and the boys to Chef Mickey’s with Mickey & the gang

Disney themed crayon box

Disney pencils

Disney-themed candies (sweet-tarts and gummies, but in the shapes of Disney characters)

A few little cheap Christmas trinket type toys and things (like a little ‘fly’s eye’ toy, a plastic maze game, etc.) that I found in the Christmas party aisle at Wal-mart

I’m still looking for some inexpensive things to add to them…maybe coloring books or for the older kids some type of puzzle books like crosswords or something.

OK...that's all for the new projects. Glad I am done with that - now this weekend we can concentrate on packing and decorating the house for Christmas (we'll be gone Wednesday through Sunday next week, going to my Grandpa's in Michigan for Thanksgiving , so this quite literally is our last weekend at home before Disney )!!

December 2010 - offsite
April 2003 - offsite
Old 11-19-2010, 06:56 PM   #40
mom-n-michaela
Mouseketeer

ADR Panic!

OK…so we have all of 2 ADR’s for our upcoming trip, as we decided most of our meals will be counter-service, or eaten in the Condo. I never thought with only 2 ADR’s we would run into a snag like this - so much for thinking!! The ADR’s are one thing I am so excited for - the girls are going to breakfast in the castle, and the boys are going to Chef Mickey’s. Great! The kids will love it!! EXCEPT…I posted an innocent question in another board, that really didn’t pertain to the ADR’s themselves but rather a “how to get each group to their ressie on time” question, since I’m not all that familiar with the parks other than through maps.

Within the answers to that question - someone pointed out that if both ADRs are for the same time (they are) under the same name (they are), one will most likely be cancelled as a double booking. WHAT?! It’s a double booking on PURPOSE…does that never happen at Disney World?! Surely, it does right? Surely we’re not the first group ever to split up for a meal??

I don’t know what to do. I even made the reservations over the phone with a CM - I would have thought if there would be a problem they would have told me then and I could have booked them under separate names. Now, of course, I wasn’t even thinking I should have put it under DH’s name anyway, since I won’t be at both locations and they’re both under MY name…that is my own stupidity . But I explained the whole scenario to the CM, even about why I wanted the times the same if possible (she tried to talk me into an earlier Castle ressie, as we could get into the park early, which was nice but didn’t really work for us as a group), I explained everything. So I really would have thought if there was an issue I would have known about it then, and the ADR’s haven’t crossed my mind since then. Until now!

So yesterday, I called and spoke to a CM about changing the name on the Chef Mickey ADR…apparently, they can’t do that. And she advised against cancelling it and trying to re-book it with the newly opened ‘space’, because there is always the chance someone could snag it in that 2 seconds after it’s released. Agh! The CM I talked to yesterday said it’s not a guarantee that someone will see the double-booking and cancel it, but there is a chance it will happen. She said the only advice she could give me was to call a few days before the trip and see if they’re both still there. Really?? Is that really all that can be done!? Help!!! The Princess breakfast is already paid…so I’m sure the one they would cancel would be Chef Mickey’s and I will feel so HORRIBLE if that happened. Does anyone have any advice - something I can do to ensure that BOTH of my reservations are safe???

December 2010 - offsite
April 2003 - offsite
Old 11-23-2010, 11:50 AM   #41
mom-n-michaela
Mouseketeer

10 DAYS!!!
Tomorrow is single digits!

December 2010 - offsite
April 2003 - offsite
Old 11-28-2010, 05:28 PM   #42
mom-n-michaela
Mouseketeer

Early Christmas Gift!

I hope everyone had a happy Thanksgiving! We went to northern Michigan to be with my Grandpa for Thanksgiving, just got home a few hours ago. Now, it's really hitting me that we have only 5 days left before we leave! I feel a little bit and a little bit LOL

So my mom gave us our Christmas present early, because she said she wanted us to be able to use it for our trip...she got us a Garmin! And after using it on the way to my Grandpa's I have to say - I love that thing! And it will come in SO handy, with the lane-assist, being able to find the nearest gas station, etc. SO cool. I never thought I wanted one, but I guess I was wrong!

I hope everyone had a great, long holiday - I am off to catch up on my reading!

December 2010 - offsite
April 2003 - offsite
Old 11-29-2010, 01:56 PM   #43
exwdwcm
wishes she was Wendy Moira Angela Darling

HUGS on the family drama.......so are BIL and SIL still sharing a room? I feel so sad for the kids, but hopefully it works out where they all still have a fabulous family vacation. My BIL and SIL are divorcing too and it is really hard. She even shares my same name- Michelle Peters! So there were always the two of us for almost 20 years now. She decided to split, i think just life changed and she wanted out for some reason. My BIL is heartbroken and i hate it, i love them both. so i know how it goes and hope the trip is drama free!

on the ADRs.....hmmmm....i know when i booked online i did doublebook some days, until i knew which CLP meal we would get etc. When i did doublebook- the system would ask me- are you sure? and point out i was doublebooked, yet it still lets you do it. i read no message about it cancelling one later on or anything. so who knows. I guess you called and did all you could and now just have to call back and keep checking. If nothing else, if they cancel one, i would still show up and print out a copy of your ressie now- have it in hand. they should be able to squeeze you in if you show that at least. I know we accidentally booked an ADR at DL for the wrong night and showed up at Blue Bayou (the busiest restaurant) for our ADR and it wasn't there. They still fit us in anyhow.

WDW College Program-Fall 96
84, 86-FTW, 93-FTW, 97, 98-OFFSITE, 00-POR, 03, 04, 05-GAYLORD, 04-POFQ, 05-POR, 06-CBR, 07-AKL, May 09-DIS Podcast Cruise, DEC 09-DAP/WL, Sept 10-DL, DEC 10 BLT, FEB 10 JOINED DVC! AUG 11 DLH, OCT 11 BLT, NOV 2012 BLT
exwdwcm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
christmas 2010, pre-trip report, ptr

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: