Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California) > Disneyland Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2010, 03:11 PM   #46
pigby
This one might be a little more challenging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
I can't deal with that Canon manual. Actually, it came with 3 or 4 books - Im sure yours did too. It's too technical and too much to read for a P&S!!
I just had to look at this thread again - deejdigsdis' photos of Frontierland using the color accent feature really inspired me - so much so that I have ordered a camera with this feature - it's the IXUS 110 IS - to be picked up from my local store tomorrow. Hope those pink flowers are still out in a week's time - I would love to be able to replicate those photos. Unfortunately I won't have deejdigsdis DH there to show me know. Is the Canon manual really that difficult to understand? yes I'm a P&S type too

Sept 2013 Loews Hollywood/Candy Cane Inn DLR, June 2012 Portofino Bay/OKW, Aug 2011 OKW/HRH, April 2011, Candy Cane Inn DLR, California, March 2011 Sequoia Lodge DLRP, Jul 2010 HoJo, Disneyland California, Dec 2009 Santa Fe DLRP, May 2009 ASMu/BCV,Aug 2008 CSR/RPR - WDW/Universal, Oct 2007 Santa Fe DLRP,Dec 2006 Sequoia Lodge DLRP, Aug 2006 RPR/Saratoga Springs- Universal/WDW, May 2006 Cheyenne DLRP,Oct 2005 ASMo - WDW,July 2005 POP/WL - WDW, Oct 04 RPR/Pop/POFQ July 03 ASMo - WDW, Oct 02 Newport Bay DLRP, Aug 01 ASMo-WDW Sep 00 ASMo- WDW, Jun 97 Newport Bay DLRP, Jul 90 offsite WDW
pigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:44 PM   #47
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigby View Post
I just had to look at this thread again - deejdigsdis' photos of Frontierland using the color accent feature really inspired me - so much so that I have ordered a camera with this feature - it's the IXUS 110 IS - to be picked up from my local store tomorrow. Hope those pink flowers are still out in a week's time - I would love to be able to replicate those photos. Unfortunately I won't have deejdigsdis DH there to show me know. Is the Canon manual really that difficult to understand? yes I'm a P&S type too
Well, part of the trouble may be me! I'm just not patient enough, or I don't have the time to deal with it. For a long, long time I used an old reliable 35 mm camera, which, in many ways, was easier to use and sometimes took better photos than my new Canon SD 880. When I got the SD880 last year and opened up the box, I noticed 4 books in the package. (One of the books may have been in Spanish, but even 3 books is too much for me to read.) To me, that is too much reading to do for a P&S.

So I set aside all but one of the books - the main manual that explains all the features - and this is the one I bring with me to DLR or wherever. I still have not had the patience to sit down and really go through the manual step by step, with camera in hand, so I can actually test out where everything is and how to work it. If I had that kind of time or patience, I'm sure I could get much better photos out of the camera. I kind of just looked up what I needed to know to get the thing working, and that was about it!

Many of these manuals are a bit too technical or detailed for the layman. I mean, I'm old! My brain is tired! Cut me some slack, Canon! I would bet that a lot of people have P&S cameras that are capable of doing a lot more than what they are aware they can do - but no one has the time to fiddle with figuring out where everything is in the darn manual!! People want to just grab their point and shoot and, well....point it and shoot!! I would bet that a lot of people just figure things out as they go along, while using the camera. Trial by fire!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-29-2010, 10:57 PM   #48
jlmarr
You got that right

DW took this photo today:

jlmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:13 PM   #49
jernysgirl
I would say head to DL first to get you "in the mood"

I found myself taking a lot more flower pictures this time, just because I kept thinking about this thread....

Here are a few:

Harbor Blvd:

Sunshine Plaza in DCA:

Storybookland Canal Boats:

In front of Pinocchio's Daring Journey:

Between Frontierland and Adventureland:

One of the WOC display's in DCA:

Just outside Big Thunder Ranch:

Outside of Rancho del Zocalo:

Pixie Hollow:
Old 06-30-2010, 01:33 PM   #50
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Oh man, these pics make me homesick....LOL Thanks for sharing, they really are awesome!

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:11 PM   #51
Brancaneve
DIS Veteran

Oh Jernysgirl! You really highlighted my favorite landscaping in the parks. I love the area in Frontierland, love Pixie Hollow and Rancho del Zocalo is my favorite. Thank you for reminding me why I love DLR so much!
Old 06-30-2010, 03:15 PM   #52
LavenderPeach
Didn't understand how you could go sideways and not fall out
Don't tempt me with stuff like that!

Great pics jernysgirl! Next time we go (which is hopefully next week!) I'm going to have to get a picture of our favorite flowers in the park which is a garden on the side of the path that goes to bug's land. It's how I wish our garden at home looked.
LavenderPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:06 PM   #53
Porturican
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejdigsdis View Post
It's a Canon PowerShot SD780 IS -- looks like a run-of-the-mill small point-and-shoot digital camera. The setting is called "Color Accent". You basically select to retain a single color and change the rest to black and white. Like I said, I didn't even know it could do that. Maybe if I would just pull out the manual and read it...

I'm enjoying everyone's pictures. Love the purple flowering trees. I've never heard of (or noticed) the edibles in Tomorrowland. I guess I do remember seeing some fruits once but they looked too big and round to be lemons. I'll have to find a pic and put it up.
I have the same camera but i dont know where to find the color accent feature. I only see the my colors section and on my previous Cannon it flat out said Color accent. Help me please because i was bummed thinking this camera didnt have that feature but since you have the same camera looks like i might be wrong? (crossing my fingers)
TY!
I'm going to look out for flowers more too on my next trip, esp that rose by Alice in Wonderland!
What does the Official Disney Rose look like?
Porturican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:40 PM   #54
Poohbug
Sherlocked

All the pictures are beautiful.

I am looking forward to my first trip to DLR in January. Will the flowers be out then??

I always take pictures of the landscaping at WDW and US. Here are a couple of pix from my most recent trip to WDW in May.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:08 PM   #55
SlpgBty
Earning My Ears

Love this thread!!! I have the "Official Disneyland Rose" along with the Belle Rose (Yellow), Snow White Rose (Red), and Sleeping Beauty's Rose (exactly the color of her pink dress!!!). I'll post pictures when I figure out how ;o) or you can go to Jackson & Perkins site (I can't do a link since I have under 10 posts-yeah, I'm a newbie! Search under "Disney". I also have a small corner for my own Pixie Hollow.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:27 PM   #56
mom4princesses
Guess its the bodies defensive system at work

Quote:
It's a Canon PowerShot SD780 IS -- looks like a run-of-the-mill small point-and-shoot digital camera. The setting is called "Color Accent". You basically select to retain a single color and change the rest to black and white. Like I said, I didn't even know it could do that. Maybe if I would just pull out the manual and read it...
I'm so excited, I have the Canon PowerShot SD1100 IS. I just looked at it and figured it out with your explanation. Now I'm going to look and see if my Nikon 3000 does this. My DH just got if for me and I have no idea how to use it (other than just take pictures). I have wanted a nice camera for a long time and now just need to figure out how to use it before our Oct. DL trip. So thanks for starting this thread.

DH DDS 14, 12, 10, 5, 3 and 2
mom4princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:32 PM   #57
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Yay! I was so happy to see that this thread had been bumped with new pictures! I love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigby View Post
I just told my husband that he got a shout-out on Disboards. I hope you enjoy your new camera, and that the flowers are still going strong when you go to DL. In answer to the manual question... I just think they are way too wordy. My instructions will cut out several steps that they said to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porturican View Post
I have the same camera but i dont know where to find the color accent feature. I only see the my colors section and on my previous Cannon it flat out said Color accent. Help me please because i was bummed thinking this camera didnt have that feature but since you have the same camera looks like i might be wrong? (crossing my fingers)
TY!
I'm going to look out for flowers more too on my next trip, esp that rose by Alice in Wonderland!
What does the Official Disney Rose look like?
OK. I just figured it out for myself. I'm going to upload the pictures I just took to demonstrate and do a simple tutorial. Well, I hope it's simple. I know it will be much simpler than what the manual says to do. If it was light outside right now I would have taken demo pics with flowers. But since it's dark, I had to find something colorful inside to do the trick. A good 'ol Life cereal box. Be back soon with the pics.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2342117
deejdigsdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:45 AM   #58
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohbug View Post
All the pictures are beautiful.

I am looking forward to my first trip to DLR in January. Will the flowers be out then??
Just like in WDW flowers are always out at a Disney resort. They rotate what they can to ensure that the gardens are in bloom. But depending on the variety the bushes or trees that can't be switched out may or may not be in bloom.
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:52 AM   #59
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Color Accent Effect

A few people were interested in learning how to do this:

I don't have a fancy camera. It's a run-of-the-mill Point and Shoot that fits in my pocket -- Canon PowerShot SD780 IS Digital Elph. The info I'll share comes from the Color Accent section on pg. 89 in the manual, just simplified a bit because I thought they listed too many steps.

Rough drawing of the back of the camera

I wanted a colorful subject, but it's dark outside so I couldn't do flowers. I used a Life cereal box instead and went from this...

To this...

...by changing the setting on the camera. Here's how to do it.

- Turn on camera

- Set to "camera" icon on top right button (in between "AUTO" and the video icon)

- Push "FUNC. SET" button

- Push side arrow button (lightning bolt/flash button) until you highlight the eyedropper with a capital "A"

- Push "FUNC. SET"

- Push DISP.

- A little square frame will show up in the middle of the screen. Aim the camera at your subject and fill that frame with the color you want to highlight. I aimed the camera so the little frame was filled with the blue color of the "l" from "Life"

- Push the left arrow button (flower/mountain icon) until the rectangle frame at the bottom of the screen displays the color you want to highlight.

- Push DISP.

- Take picture

That's it!

- To go back to the normal mode push "FUNC. SET" and then use the side arrow button to select whatever.

- Works in video mode also. The only difference is to set camera to video icon instead of camera icon in the first step. Very cool.

I did all the letters in "Life" -- here's green.

Orange.

I didn't like how the red was highlighted as well. There's a way to "specify the range of colors" -- as they say in the manual. For the above picture it included a range of similar colors, so it really picked up the red. For the next picture I had it limit the range of colors, as far "negative" as it would go. Not a HUGE difference.

Red. Same issues, but I couldn't tell a difference between the 2 different ranges -- one as far "up" as it would go, the other as far "down" as it would go -- so I only posted one picture.

And if you want to get really crazy you can go beyond Color Accent and do a Color Swap. I changed the green "i" to purple-ish. But I'm not really sure how I did it.

Hope this helps someone. It actually helped me a lot because now I know how to do it without handing the camera to my husband OR looking at the silly manual.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2342117
deejdigsdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:49 AM   #60
APX
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I thought these were so pretty.

I just spotted a little mickey flower in this picture.
APX is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: