Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2014, 08:41 AM   #1
dreamseeker9
Mouseketeer

Question Last-minute solo trip - on-site or off-site?

I'm considering booking a 4-day trip for mid-November, with 2 goals: save on costs where I can, and maximize my time in the parks. I have enough points to cover airfare, which helps a lot with savings!

I'm debating staying on-site vs. off-site. I could use Hilton points to cover 2 of 3 hotel nights at the Hampton Inn Lake Buena Vista, but I would have to rent a car - still cheaper than staying at a WDW value resort for 3 nights.

I've never driven to WDW before - I've always used Magical Express from the airport and have stayed on-site, using WDW transportation (or a cab if we were in a hurry). Magic Kingdom sounds like the biggest headache when driving, since I'd have to park at the TTC and then take either the ferry or monorail to the entrance. One pro of driving is that I could easily drive to other resorts for meals, or outside of WDW for meals and save money.

If I drive, I also want to make sure that the parking lots are safe at night when I'm walking back to my car by myself. And to be honest, I don't look forward to being stuck in a traffic jam every night while trying to drive out of the parking lots of each park.

A little bit about me - I did my first solo trip in March this year and enjoyed it. I'm late 30s, female, and am used to traveling solo for work.

What would you recommend? Thanks for any advice!

My Disney Trips: Apr. 1980 - WDW, Dec. 1982 - WDW, 1986 - WDW, Feb. 1990 - WDW, Mar. 1997 - WDW - ASMu
Nov. 2000 - WDW - PO (French Quarter before it was FQ), Nov. 2012 - WDW - AOA- Finding Nemo suite (TR here) Dec. 3, 2013 - Disneyland
March-April 2014 - WDW - CSR, Nov. 2014 - WDW - AOA LM Room (PTR here), Sept.-Oct. 2015 - WDW - POR
dreamseeker9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 07:21 PM   #2
LaurenT
DIS Veteran

I do stay off site once a year usually ... But I prefer being onsite. I'm going solo next week and am staying onsite. I put a lot of miles on my car and driving is a chore to me. Very happy to let Disney do it for me - and I also like being able to have adult beverages, especially since I won't have DD along this time. Can't do that if I have to drive.
Eta: Ias I said I have stayed offsite too, ad never felt unsafe in the theme park lots after close ... Even when it was just me and DD10 and we couldn't find the car and had to he help from security ...(I had the aisle written down as I always do, but I was so lucky and picked the one that has an A and a B .... I was looking in the wrong one)

Just me and the mouse! Nov 2014 POFQ
Mommy and Me trip! April 2015 offsite
The Whole Gang Aug 2015 AKL
LaurenT is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-26-2014, 08:50 PM   #3
Waiting2goback
Mouseketeer

I have done 3 solo trips and I stayed on property for all of them. My theory is that I may be able to save a couple bucks by staying off property but if I could save a lot more money if I didn't go at all. I go to Disney because I love Disney. Therefore when I am there I try to get as much of it as I can. The minute I step onto Magical Express I know I am in good hands and don't have to worry about anything until I get back to the airport.

With the rental car you have to add in gas and aggravation of getting around when you have never driven it. That has to be taken into consideration as well.

That's my opinion anyway. I am sure you will have a great time no matter what you decide.
Waiting2goback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:56 PM   #4
dreamseeker9
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the helpful feedback!

After weighing the pros and cons, I think I'm going to stay on-site and avoid renting a car. I can still use my JetBlue points for a free flight. I'll save my Hilton points for some other vacation.

Now I have to decide, and quickly, on where to stay! I just saw that AOA has Little Mermaid rooms open. I've stayed at AOA before in the Finding Nemo suite, and we loved it! I think I'd love Little Mermaid. My other option is a new resort for me, Caribbean Beach Resort. But it's nearly $300 more. I'm thinking Little Mermaid this time to save some money!

Woohoo!

My Disney Trips: Apr. 1980 - WDW, Dec. 1982 - WDW, 1986 - WDW, Feb. 1990 - WDW, Mar. 1997 - WDW - ASMu
Nov. 2000 - WDW - PO (French Quarter before it was FQ), Nov. 2012 - WDW - AOA- Finding Nemo suite (TR here) Dec. 3, 2013 - Disneyland
March-April 2014 - WDW - CSR, Nov. 2014 - WDW - AOA LM Room (PTR here), Sept.-Oct. 2015 - WDW - POR
Old 10-27-2014, 11:37 AM   #5
princessmousehouse
Expert Mouse

As a female, I was going to say on site, definitely. Good choice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseeker9 View Post
Thanks for the helpful feedback!

After weighing the pros and cons, I think I'm going to stay on-site and avoid renting a car. I can still use my JetBlue points for a free flight. I'll save my Hilton points for some other vacation.

Now I have to decide, and quickly, on where to stay! I just saw that AOA has Little Mermaid rooms open. I've stayed at AOA before in the Finding Nemo suite, and we loved it! I think I'd love Little Mermaid. My other option is a new resort for me, Caribbean Beach Resort. But it's nearly $300 more. I'm thinking Little Mermaid this time to save some money!

Woohoo!
princessmousehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 11:44 AM   #6
RustManFan
devoted to all things Disney!!

DISboards Moderator

Twice I was in Orlando on business and did solo trips to WDW. Both times I stayed onsite...once at POR and once at CBR. I always prefer a moderate.

I didn't drive to any parks. The buses are good enough for me!!

Offsite - 1987 - 1st Trip - Wilson World
CBR - 1989, 1995
FW (tent) - 1992 during Hurricane Andrew, 1997
Dixie Landings/POR - 1994, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2005, 2009
Wilderness Lodge - 1996
DL - 2013 - Good Neighbor hotel

http://s387.photobucket.com/albums/o...isney%20Stuff/
*** and eternal Rusty Wallace fan ! He is the RustMan ! ***
RustManFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:25 PM   #7
dreamseeker9
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone! I booked 3 nights at AOA in a Little Mermaid room. No rental car. I'm so excited! Less than 3 weeks!

Old Yesterday, 09:09 AM   #8
officialkt
Earning My Ears

I've just done my first solo and first on site...from Magical Express pick up to bus...monorail...boat...easy easy easy.
officialkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:28 AM   #9
dreamseeker9
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by officialkt View Post
I've just done my first solo and first on site...from Magical Express pick up to bus...monorail...boat...easy easy easy.
I think that really is the best fit for me. I feel good about my decision.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: