Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Cooking
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2010, 12:19 PM   #1
aboveH20
DIS Veteran

Do you use a pizza stone?

I have a bread maker and have made pizza occasionallly. I would like to do it more. I bought a pizza stone from Pampered Chef and it broke the first time I used it. That was a few years ago, and I'm not sure if I skipped a "prep before you use" step. Anyway, do you use a pizza stone? Would you say there is a big improvement with the crust if you do? Did you formerly use a pizza stone and no longer do? Bottom line, I'm trying to decide whether or not to buy another one. I'm interested in your experiences. Thanks.

Disneyland Disney World Disneyland Paris Disney Cruise Aulani Next?
aboveH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:23 PM   #2
DebšošS
DISneyngardenFANopics
Better get back to my laughing place for cheese

Location: 1062.3 miles from my "Home Away From Home"resort The Boardwalk

Yes, I use one. I've had it so long that I honestly can't remember what the crust was like before it.

DebšošS is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-03-2010, 09:42 AM   #3
MazdaUK
Curse this time difference!
You show me yours I'll show you mine!
Now I just want to go home and spread my bits of paper about

I used to be a PCC, and we were told that a %age of stones may crack on first use if air bubbles creep in during manufacture - the expansion can make it crack. Stones are guaranteed for 3 years, and if they break you just need to send a piece back and they'll replace it.

I use stoneware all the time (as an ex-PCC I have 2 crates of well-loved pieces), and as well as using the pizza stones for pizzas I use them for cookies - if you do spritz cookies, and do one batch on stone and one on metal bakeware, I found the ones on stone did not spread so much and had a more even colour, whereas the ones on bakeware spread more (were flatter) and got browner round the edges. I used to take a batch of each to my shows as a demonstration.
DLP Disney Hotel New York May 2003
Disneyland - 2 days visit while staying at Sheraton Anaheim on honeymoon September 1990
MazdaUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:00 AM   #4
aboveH20
DIS Veteran

MazdaUK - thanks for the info.

I emailed my PCC/friend after I used the stone, expecting her to offer to have it replaced, which she didn't. I think she may not have known she could do that, or was just too busy. At this point it is well past the 3 year mark. I know my sister used to use hers all the time so I think I'll reinvest in another one.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:16 PM   #5
rlovew

DISboards Moderator

I have a pizza stone that I use - we love the way it comes out. I now use the pilsbury dough most of the time so I my rectangular stone now.

Rebecca
Old 03-03-2010, 03:21 PM   #6
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

I used mine, but now that we've switched to homemade whole wheat dough, it is too small. I didn't know they made rectangular ones - guess I'll be hunting for one of those! Thanks
Old 03-03-2010, 04:28 PM   #7
PinballFamily
Yes, I have scrapping supplies to decorate my scrapping supplies...wanna make something of it?

Funny that I just see this thread now - my rectangular PC stoneware dish is in the oven right now with fresh rolls rising on it. It is "officially" a baking dish, I think, but it is kinda the size of a jellyroll pan (15x11x1) or something like that and gets used a lot as a pizza stone.

We love it and use it for pizza, rolls, calzones, bread, etc. at least several times weekly. It is one of only three PC things we have - but love, love, love it. We use corn meal to prevent sticking and don't usually have a problem (unless cheese runs out/falls off and gets baked onto the pan - ugh)

We bake pizzas, rolls, etc. at about 450-500 and they always turn out great.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:56 PM   #8
aboveH20
DIS Veteran

PinballFamily - would you be willing to share your calzone recipe?

Old 03-04-2010, 06:01 AM   #9
MazdaUK
Curse this time difference!
You show me yours I'll show you mine!
Now I just want to go home and spread my bits of paper about

I've had no sticking probs with well-seasoned stones - cooking something with a lot of fat like cookies or pastry is good to start you off. PC stones cone as a rectangle (10 x 12? or a little bigger?) and round in (I think) 3 sizes - we don't get tehm all over here

I'd love the calzone recipe too
DLP Disney Hotel New York May 2003
Disneyland - 2 days visit while staying at Sheraton Anaheim on honeymoon September 1990
MazdaUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:29 AM   #10
tnkr mom
DIS Veteran

I use my pizza stone for heating fried foods also makes crispier, even on left overs! I.e., chicken nuggets, fish sticks and fried chicken!!)
Off Property 80's - All Star Music 90's, Wilderness Lodge '04 - PO Riverside '05, Rosen Center 1/06, All Star Sports 8/06, Animal Kingdom Lodge 3/07, Pop Century 10/08 for MNSSHP; DD March 09 Cheerleading @ Univ Trip, April 2009 DD Senior Class Trip Grad Night! And Lots and Lots of Trips to the Most Magical Place On Earth!
* Always looking for a deal to go back! *
tnkr mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:01 PM   #11
PinballFamily
Yes, I have scrapping supplies to decorate my scrapping supplies...wanna make something of it?

Arrgghhhh! I just spent about an hour typing in the recipe and directions - only to have it vanish between DIS refresh screens! Will try again, but not today! Sorry!!!
Old 03-04-2010, 08:31 PM   #12
aboveH20
DIS Veteran

Pinball - I feel your pain. I hate to have you spend another hour typing. Can you just give general instructions? Do you make a bunch and freeze some, or make and eat?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: