DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2010, 01:03 PM   #16
arthur06
DDC #689

My wife and I had a "low budget honeymoon"... We are from Iowa... so our first night (which was a gift) was spent at a bed and breakfast in Galena on the Mississippi. then we had a flight out of O'hare (which were a gift) to Rhode Island... we spent 5 days in Connecticut, RI and Mass... a day in cape code and a game at Fenway! We had zero rooms reserved, in fact one night was spent at a hotel in Connecticut that was being renovated for like $29 a night (found out in the morning it didnt have hot water)...

Many times its the journy and adventure and not the destination that is actually what you truly treasure! Your Honeymoon would be special as long as you and your wife are together!

HTH

November '12 Disneyland/VGC Trip Report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2964937

arthur06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:39 PM   #17
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

One thing about DVC rentals that the OP might not understand.....most owners who rent do it because they need the money. They can't take a vacation and need to rent out the points to cover their loan payments or maintenance fees. They want to take some other vacation, and rent points to get the money to pay for it.

That's why it's not likely that you'd find someone to a) rent you points at a deep discount, or b) be willing to put off payment, potentially for a long period of time. The owner needs the money for something else.

I think it's lovely that you want to give your bride a wonderful honeymoon. But I'm sure she'd agree, what matters is who you're with, not where you're staying. Check out mousesavers.com, and the Budget Board here on the DIS. You might be able to put together a trip within your budget if you stay offsite, or even at one of the values with a discount code.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-28-2010, 05:57 PM   #18
LovetheMouse12302
Mouseketeer

I know where you are coming from, DH graduated with a degree in civil engineering in May 2008. It was very frustrating during his college years not being able to go to WDW as much as we wanted. Is it possible you will receive money at your wedding as a gift? Then after your wedding you could book and pay for your honeymoon. DH and I used our wedding money to pay for our food and travel expenses, in-laws paid for our room and tickets as a wedding gift.
Saratoga Springs- May 2010
Coronado Springs- February 2011
Kidani Village- February 2011, September 2011
Grand Floridian- September 2011
Boardwalk Villas- September 2011
Polynesian- May 2013
Pop Century- May 2013
LovetheMouse12302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:22 PM   #19
ToddyLu
Welcome aboard explorers- I love Mr. Ray

DH and I married in 1994. He was at the fire academy in training and only had the weekend off. We spent our wedding night about 40 miles from home in a lovely hotel and then he was back at the academy that next afternoon. So he kept his promise...I had never been to WDW....he took me for our 8th anniversary in 2002...and I was hooked ...we have been there every year since and bought into DVC last year. Just becasue it doesn't happen right after the wedding doesn't mean it won't happen. Have a romantic weekend and then save your money for the "honeymoon".

When he and I married our eyes were bigger than our budget and now 15 years later we can look back and realize that.

Congratulations and Best Wishes. Being married is like a spend the night party with your best friend and they don't have to go home.
first trip ASMo 2002, ASMo 2003, ASMo 2004 twice, ASMo 2005, POFQ 2006, Pop 2007, Pop 12/2008 with DDP, AKV SV 10/09 with DDP, AKV SV 12/10, AKV 5/11, AKV SV 10/11, AKV 5/12, AKV 10/12, AKV 11/13, AKV 5/14, AKV 10/14, AKV 5/15
My DH loves me for my points!!
ToddyLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:43 PM   #20
charming
Mouseketeer

Truth be told most people cant do a honeymoon. My DH and i stayed in the hotel were the reception was held 1 night(gift from ML) then we were counting our gift money to tip and pay off other things we still had after the wedding.
I hope all go's well injoy the big day thats what counts plus you'll be very tired by the end you will just want to sleep.
Good Luck
charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:48 PM   #21
5forDiz
DIS Veteran

Look into a cruise becaue often there are amazing bargains to be had especially if you book close to sail date and all meals are included. You can do touring on your own instead of purchasing shore excursions and take advantage of activities included on board; be sure to take include tips when figuring what total cost will be. Plan WDW for a future trip, it's so much more than just the parks that you will want to probably do additional onsite activities when you go.

Best wishes to the happy couple
5forDiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:11 PM   #22
Pixieflip
Are we there yet?

We had a dream wedding paid for by my parents and a beautiful honeymoon suite at the hotel where we had the reception, also paid for by my parents. Then we had a dream 10 day honeymoon in Hawaii. 3 nights on Oahu. Then 7 nights on Maui for more relaxation. It was heaven.

But we were fresh out of college and it took us 5 years to pay it off.

We even admitted to each other on about day 4 on Maui that it didn't really matter where we were because what we were really interested in was going on inside the hotel room. For what we spent on Hawaii, we could have done three trips to WDW!

Be smarter than us. Do what you can afford, it'll still be wonderful!

I totally understand the desire to have the dream honeymoon and appreciate the thought! Hope you can work something out! Pixiedust your way...

1991 OP, 1994 POFQ, 1996 AS, 1998 POR/CBR, 2000 Disney Institute/OKW, 2001 ASMu/ASMo, 2002 WLV/OKW, 2003 POFQ, 2005 DCL, 2005 OP, 2007 BCV, 2010 AKV, 2010 OKW, 2010 SSR, 2011 OKW, 2012 BC, 2012 OKW...
Pixieflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:03 PM   #23
Lost in Neverland
Mouseketeer

When we got married there was no money for anything fancy or a nice honeymoon. To save money we were married at home and took a short trip to the coast for 2 nights. After a couple of years when we both had good jobs we took our dream trip. From experience I promise it will not matter where you go or how long you stay just the fact that you are together. I agree with PP in the fact that the best situation for you is to continue to save your money and then after the dust has settled from the wedding plan your trip together. My husband and I still enjoy the planning as much as the trip and we have been together for almost 20 years. Congratulations and enjoy each other but do not go into debt for a trip just starting out.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:42 PM   #24
Mickey'sApprentice
Shamelessly demand, it works better
DIS Veteran

Dh and I went to WDW for 5 days and stayed OFF-PROPERTY on our honeymoon.

As Mom used to say...when you are young and in love -- you can pretty much live just on love. Dh and I actually reminisce about cheap vacations, living in an old tiny house, etc.

There are a lot of things you and your fiance can do to enjoy yourself without spending a lot of money. The key is to think of it as building your future together...and not that you are poor pitiful and broke.

With that said, you can:

stay off property
stay at Swan or Dolphin
stay at the value resorts
pitch a tent at Ft. Wilderness
pack sandwiches for the parks
use a crock pot or hot plate for dinner
pop tarts for breakfast
drive instead of fly
take a shorter trip
honeymoon locally
honeymoon in your new home with candles, home cooked meals, flowers, etc.

This is your 1st adventure as a married couple. It doesn't matter what you do as long as your fiance is 100% signed on.

Remember that someone investing $XX amount each year from age 21-30 will earn more than someone investing the same $XX each year from age 30-65. In other words, no matter the situation -- its a good idea to save money at this point in your life.

Good luck and congratulations!
Apr '92 Off Property (Honeymoon): Dec '94, Feb '02 CR: Jan '05 WL/POR: Nov '06, Jan '09 HHI: Apr '07: First Trip "Home" to BWV: Jan '08: BWV, Mar '09: POR/BWV: Jan. '10 POR/AKV (Jambo), July '10: POFQ/BCV: Dec '10 AKV (Kidani)/POR:Sep. '11 POR/BWV, Jan '12: POP, Apr '12: POR/BWV, Jan '13: Conference/WL, Jul "13:POR. Dec '13: DOL/BLT, Jul '14: BWV 40th B-day Trip Report

Mickey'sApprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:13 PM   #25
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'sApprentice View Post
...use a crock pot or hot plate for dinner...
Not at Disney World except for DVC villas, Fort Wilderness cabins and All Stars Family suites.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:48 AM   #26
twinklebug
Dreaming in Mickey Vision
Too bad I wasn't 20, oh, I mean 3 years younger

Location: Left my heart in WDW, if found please leave at WL frontdesk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hundredball View Post
Hey all,
I need some advice on how DVC renting works out, it seems like an economical choice but rather confusing.

The Situation:
I fell in love with a beautiful girl who grew up around disney, I didnt... Last march her family took me down on a trip with them and I took that opportunity to propose. Needless to say I was hooked by just about everything awsome that is disney. Anyways we are getting married in (dates removed) and want very badly to take our honeymoon in disney.

The Problem:
We have absolutly no money, neither of our families have money. At the moment I am a Senior Civil Engineering Student Graduating in may. Any money we earn from our measly jobs goes towards living expences and if we have anything left over it goes towards the wedding. So at the moment... No money to book a honeymoon and its past the point where we should have it planned.

The Solution:
DVC?????
Somewhere I have a price point of 3K for our honeymoon budget. We would like to do a (vacation specifics removed) vacation from (dates removed). If we could rent points for around $9 I think it would be doable. Where we get the money is the question.

My questions:
Has anybody heard of paying part of the rental down and then making payments after the travel dates??? I have a job lined up once I graduate in may and will be making more than enough to afford this but the key problem is that it is in May.

Is there even a chance of getting a ** at this time this late into the game?

Is it even worth trying to rent DVC points or is it a major hassle?

Does anybody have any other ideas for saving money, perhaps with dining and such?

Please help me make my fiances dreams come true again!!!

Thank You Everybody!

Edit: Travel specifics have been removed from this post, so as not to be a Reservation Wanted post. Chuck S

Congrats on your upcoming graduation and engagement!

I'm not going to lecture you on what to do or when, but will you have time with a new job in your field of study (assuming you have one lined up) to get some money together to rent points? A week in an AKV value studio in low season will cost you at least $1000. This is not including your entertainment (park passes), transportation (even driving costs $), or food. I'm very budget conscious and the cheapest I've ever done Disney (including renting DVC points) is about $800 per person.

My personal thought is that as a new graduate, probably with loans coming due to pay and struggling to land a job, are that you'll be best to hold off until you're in a happier place money wise. You'll have a degree in an excellent field... it'll come, just be patient.

Last edited by twinklebug; 03-01-2010 at 12:58 AM.
twinklebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:43 AM   #27
Crystal_27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hundredball View Post
Has anybody heard of paying part of the rental down and then making payments after the travel dates??? I have a job lined up once I graduate in may and will be making more than enough to afford this but the key problem is that it is in May.[/COLOR][/size]
I doubt you will get any takers on a payment plan, especially if you're proposing to continue to pay for the points after the trip has already taken place. Once the points are used, they are gone, and if the payments ceased there would be no recourse for the owner.

Since you can afford it after May, why not just take advantage of one of Disney's offers for discounted rooms/packages?

For what its worth, I'm sure that *anything* that you do is going to be wonderful for your new wife, even if you end up staying at a Value or off-site. What's going to be important is that you have put the thought into making this honeymoon special for her. Either way, best of luck!

Me (34); DD (9)
December, 2007 Land/Sea Trip Report
9 Days of Disney Dining (Food Report)
March, 2009 Trip Report
September, 2009 Eastern Cruise Trip Report

Next trips: Aulani in September, 2014 and Thanksgiving, 2014 on the Magic (YAY).
Crystal_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:01 AM   #28
cseca
My legs are wimpy but my will is stronger...

First off Congrats!
Secondly I want to chime in on the idea PPs posted. Delay your honeymoon!
1. You can plan your HM around the cheapest season
2. You will have the $ by then so you won't be too stressed out.
3. Your wife will have something exciting to look forward to after the hulabaloo of the wedding is over.

I don't know what your timeframe is but december is a fun time at WDW. The points are low and christmas decor is up. You two can spend your first Christmas season at WDW! Get your first christmas ornament as Mr. & Mrs. (assuming you do christmas).

Anyways, just a thought.
Regardless have a wonderful wedding and HM!
Heck better yet, if your job is very secure maybe you could save the $ and put a downpayment for DVC membership as a surprise to your wife
cseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:10 AM   #29
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by cseca View Post
....Heck better yet, if your job is very secure maybe you could save the $ and put a downpayment for DVC membership as a surprise to your wife
[Buzzer sound] WRONG ANSWER. DVC is not something to surprise your spouse with unless you are financially secure and able to pay for it completely including all the annual member fees. As a newly wed, recent college grad, newly hired employee, you do not want to tie yourself down to DVC costs until you figure out how to pay for your home, your family, health insurance, medical expenses, etc.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:14 AM   #30
gillep
DIS Veteran

Congrats on the marriage

I agree with those who say to wait on the honeymoon. My DH and I were married in my home town (Buffalo NY) and the night of the wedding my mom and her fiance were nice enough to get us a room overlooking Niagara Falls which was wonderful and then we were back to work/grad school that same week. We continued to save up money for a nice honeymoon then decided to buy a house which further delayed our honeymoon, but was well worth it! Finally we were able to take our honeymoon at WDW in January and it was amazing. We stayed a week on property we did the deluxe dining plan with 5 signature restaurants and never said no to any of our wants, whether it be a souvenir or a grey goose slush in france and didn't even worry about finances because we had saved up and it was all well within our budget. Although I see nothing wrong with doing a budget trip for us it was great to plan together and to really go all out even though it didn't happen right after the wedding we still have some magical memories and no regrets!

Tags
budget, dvc, honeymoon

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: