Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2010, 07:48 AM   #766
Shyvioletisme
So I have a doppleganger running around out there with a kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmills View Post
PS - Weekend plans anyone??
not much. hitting up Old Navy first thing in the morning to hopefully score some $2 tanks. Going to look at possibly buying another pair of Toms shoes amd depending on the heat/humidity we might go to the zoo this weekend. The zoo just got a capybara and I wanna go see it.

WDW: last trip:
Oct/Nov 2005 CBR for Honeymoon
FLICKR: http://www.flickr.com/photos/67045761@N00/
Shyvioletisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:01 AM   #767
Bushmills
Earning My Beers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyvioletisme View Post
not much. hitting up Old Navy first thing in the morning to hopefully score some $2 tanks. Going to look at possibly buying another pair of Toms shoes amd depending on the heat/humidity we might go to the zoo this weekend. The zoo just got a capybara and I wanna go see it.
With all that shopping, are you planning a solo trip, or pulling along Mr Shyviolet to carry stuff and feign interest?

Zoo is always fun (that and museums / science centres) - hope you have great weather for it. I had capybara once - itchy as all get out, but a few shots from the doc and I was right as rain.

Anyone ever see "Old School"? Love the "busy weekend / bed, bath, and beyond" spiel.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-11-2010, 09:20 AM   #768
maddhatir
Disney lovin' Harley gal....or is that Harley lovin' Disney gal??? ...and a huge HOWARD fan!
Pirate lovin', freebie posting, Susan Lucci wannabe of the Tag World

Quote:
100 posts - woo hoo!!!!!!!!
Cheater, cheater! Congrats!

Quote:
I need to get to Old Navy soon- I have a gift card burning a hole in my wallet!

When DH and I were in Mexico a few years ago- we saw a bunch of (what looked like) capybaras. They were all over the resort. Our room was on the ground level. We were having breakfast outside and one came up to us. I jumped on the lounge chair Like that would help if he lunged at me But he just stared for a while and went about his business.

Quote:
Anyone ever see "Old School"? .
GREAT movie! “You're my boy Blue!”

......Me and DH
maddhatir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:21 AM   #769
HockeyKat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddhatir View Post
OMG- you girls and your workouts! I give you all credit. I never liked going TO the gym etc. I like to roll out of bed @ 5:45- throw my hair up in a ponytail- and go downstairs and workout to a DVD or ON DEMAND has a great Exercise TV channel. And it's free

I loved hearing all of you tell the stories of resumes you received and the interviews that parents joined in on They were unbelievable!

TGIF!
I like rolling out of bed at 9:15AM, going to work, and hitting the gym at lunch.

I am just terrible at following a class on the on-demand or DVD level. I get bored, or don't push myself because no-one is watching but the cats (who are pretty much going WTH??).

Quote:
I got some of those thanks to you and your FB post on clearance racks!! That was SO awesome btw, I am wearing a pair of $8 pants today that I got from that excursion. I was also way thrilled at the $2.50 running skirt (those puppies are EXPENSIVE other places).

I think my lunch break is going to be Kohl's and a 20% coupon.

I have had WAAAAAAY too much caffeine today....
Old 06-11-2010, 04:54 PM   #770
zima-cheryl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
OMG- you girls and your workouts! I give you all credit. I never liked going TO the gym etc. I like to roll out of bed @ 5:45- throw my hair up in a ponytail- and go downstairs and workout to a DVD or ON DEMAND has a great Exercise TV channel. And it's free
And see... I'm the total opposite, if I were doing it at home it would never happen. But now that I'm actually paying money for that membership, if I don't use it I feel guilty. I guess what ever motivates you as long as you do it.

Quote:
A co-worker brought me in some fresh mint from their garden, so it's mint juleps for Bushmills this weekend!

Quote:
Yeah - coming over to your place for mint juleps!

Quote:
Contrats on #100!

We are heading out shortly for a baseball game tonight but just now Miss Ginger got to see some deer in our back yard. I think this is the first she's noticed them.

Captain Oblivious (me) got home & took her out back so she could do her thing after being in all afternoon. Well, should have looked 'cause there were Lunch & Dinner and their buddies Tender & Loin (yes... that is what I've named the neighborhood deer ) I thought she was going to rip my arm off when she saw them the way she took off. She had to sniff around a good 10 minutes checking everything out.

I'll have to try & get some pictures... they come right up w/in a few feet of the deck grabing the apples that have fallen from the tree. DH says it reminds him of that Chevy Chase movie.... "Cue the deer..."
Old 06-11-2010, 07:41 PM   #771
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

Quote:

We're having our annual Flag Day party tomorrow. "Who has a Flag Day party?", you ask?
People in Quincy, MA do! For some reason this city goes cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs over Flag Day. And the fireworks are right across the street from my house. I don't normally go out of my way to see fireworks, but when they're right there, even I can get excited about that.

So it will be DH and I and a gajillion people in our tiny little house.

Have a great weekend, all!
Joyciemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 04:03 PM   #772
MorenaSangre
Dreamer, reader, seeker

*raises hand* Um...I'm pretty new here, but I had to chime in when I started reading this thread. My DH and I are coming up on 10 years of marriage, and are childless by choice. (My kids have paws.) We live fairly close to WDW and visit whenever we can. For us, there is nothing more romantic than the magic of Disney.

I am always confused by people who tell me that Disney is for children and that adults are just immature if they enjoy it. I believe that retaining the wonder and the willingness to believe that magic is real, dreams come true, and the future is brighter than today is an important part of being alive. Disney, for my husband and I, represents a place where all our hopes and dreams can thrive and we can just be 100% together, free of all the worries and pressures of the "real world" outside. It's a place to renew the magic that brought us together.

Like several other people noted here, the greatest romance for us is not a rush from attraction to attraction, it's the feeling of romance that blossoms when you're free to just think about each other and share being together. That's the gift that Disney gives to couples.

Anyway, my $.02. Thanks for sharing and reminding me that we're not the only people who adore Disney who have chosen to be childless!
MorenaSangre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 04:12 PM   #773
Shyvioletisme
So I have a doppleganger running around out there with a kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorenaSangre View Post
*raises hand* Um...I'm pretty new here, but I had to chime in when I started reading this thread. My DH and I are coming up on 10 years of marriage, and are childless by choice. (My kids have paws.) We live fairly close to WDW and visit whenever we can. For us, there is nothing more romantic than the magic of Disney.

I am always confused by people who tell me that Disney is for children and that adults are just immature if they enjoy it. I believe that retaining the wonder and the willingness to believe that magic is real, dreams come true, and the future is brighter than today is an important part of being alive. Disney, for my husband and I, represents a place where all our hopes and dreams can thrive and we can just be 100% together, free of all the worries and pressures of the "real world" outside. It's a place to renew the magic that brought us together.

Like several other people noted here, the greatest romance for us is not a rush from attraction to attraction, it's the feeling of romance that blossoms when you're free to just think about each other and share being together. That's the gift that Disney gives to couples.

Anyway, my $.02. Thanks for sharing and reminding me that we're not the only people who adore Disney who have chosen to be childless!
welcome! We agree about Disney...nothing beats a romantic walk around the resort at night. WE love the winding paths at CBR. with the streetlamps and then relaxing together in a hammock watching the fireworks from one of the beaches! WE love haning out by the quiet pool in our village there...we usually stay Trinidad South and the quiet pool is usually empty except for us!

WDW: last trip:
Oct/Nov 2005 CBR for Honeymoon
FLICKR: http://www.flickr.com/photos/67045761@N00/
Shyvioletisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:28 PM   #774
mskayjay
They were sooooo good I had um.....a few.....okay fine.....several!
I have the coolest memories of going on that ride over and over with my cousin

I hate Disney World....... I have the most amazing memories ofWDW from when the MK opened and how special it was and really, now....its so commercial. So why, when I feel sad and depressed do I want to go back even though the trip never even comes close to the Disney of my childhood? And let me be clear....it is the lack of "I care" by the cast members and the overall crap attitude of people at the park that ruin it, not the park itself.

Honest, if I could visit the Disney of my childhood, I would be SUCH a happy camper! I keep going and hoping against hope that the magic will come back and placate myself with seeing the magic awaken in the eyes of a child seeing Pooh for the first time...... but I see the crap they show on commercials, a one on one run up to Cinderella....right.....I am feeling very cynical tonight....

Golf Resort (SOG now!)1974*Polynesian Resort 1976* Off site 1990*Tree House Villas 1992*Caribbean Beach Resort 1998*Off site 2004*Animal Kingdom Lodge 2006*Wilderness Lodge 2008*Wilderness Lodge 2009*Wilderness Lodge 2010*Animal Kingdom Villas 2011* Wilerness Lodge Villas 2011*
mskayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:36 AM   #775
southern_belle21
Always dreaming of Disney

Well hi everyone, I'm new to this thread, but DH and I are both childless by choice and we both LOVE DISNEY and LOVE going to WDW! We just celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary this month and we have an upcoming trip to WDW in Sept. We do have 3 furbabies (all dogs, and LOTS of nieces and nephews haha. DH is 33 and I just turned 31. Yeah, I am in the same agreement that Disney is NOT JUST FOR KIDS!!! Now I DO LOVE kids, and I would like to think that someday maybe we will have at least one (and maybe adopt another one), but so far we have just, by choice, not had kids of our own. DH and I didn't go to WDW together until our 6th wedding anniversary, the year that my mom passed away, and he had only been one other time (when he was in the band in middle school) so he didn't know very much about it at all! I showed him how to enjoy WDW and he's hooked We have gone at LEAST once a year since then. He enjoys it just as much as I do. DH is the oldest in his family, then he has a younger brother (who is my age) and a younger sister. His entire family thinks we're crazy, and especially since we go so much and don't have kids. The saddest thing is, we have begged his family (his mom, brother and sister and their spouses...who by they way DO ALL have kids and BOTH of my sister-in-laws are preggos together yet AGAIN) to let's all take a family trip to WDW because my oldest nephew (7) is DYING to go...and they don't have any desire to It's SO SAD because they don't think my niece and nephew (who are both 2 now) are old enough to go... which is ridiculous because my little 2 year old niece LOVES MICKEY MOUSE!!! They let her watch Mickey Mouse Clubhouse ALL THE TIME!!! Her 1st BDAY party was themed Mickey Mouse! NO LIE!!! Yet, they don't think she is old enough to enjoy WDW enough... so the 7 year old doesn't get to go either. We have talked about taking him with us sometime when just me and DH go, but his brother won't let us. They want to be the ones to take him sometime (yeah whenever that is...). Now we DO take vacations with them all..but it's to the beach or the mountains (such will be the case this year, going to Gatlinburg and they all want to go to Dollywood) but whenever DH and I suggest Disney, they act like it's going to be an act of congress! They say "well maybe ONE day..." and I've even looked up houses off-property (*gasp!*) for all of us to stay in (such as the ALL Star Homes). It's like they want to do ANYTHING else but go where DH and I want them to. And I really think they would enjoy it once they got there and REALIZED how much FUN IT IS!!! Oh well, it's their loss I suppose. But it gets harder and harder to be around them all when they won't listen to us! I seriously think it's just because we DON'T have kids...and we are the only couple in the family who doesn't. Like I said, I do LOVE kids! After all, every single one of us on earth was once a child, AND I believe that the innocence of a child-like heart is the ultimate force in making magic real Children are completely awesome because of so many reasons, and we should all try our best to keep a child-like belief in many ways...keep the magic alive I have just felt, because of the way my husband's family acts toward us, it has really made me wonder if I ever do want to have kids at all or not. I don't want having, or not having children to be the deciding factor for the way his family (especially his mother) treats us. When my mother was alive, she accepted us just the way we were, and was happy with us regardless. It's sad because obviously we aren't part of the "club", and I've already had to deal with both of my sister-in-laws being pregnant together once, but now it has happened that they BOTH are again. So of course everyone in his entire family is make more comments about how "it's our turn next" and "we need to catch up" to them...it drives me COMPLETELY NUTS!!!!!! Okay...just needed to vent. So anyway, I hope I haven't scared everyone off haha. Hope I am welcomed here...

LOVE MNSSHP!

All those trips to Disneyland with mom and Mimi, I miss you both

Last edited by southern_belle21; 06-14-2010 at 01:35 PM. Reason: adding more to the post
southern_belle21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 06:27 PM   #776
Miriade
Mouseketeer

Talking Disney is NOT JUST FOR KIDS

Hello and welcome! Long post yours, so nice to being able to ventilate some ideas around here with no fear!
I do Agree on the Disney magic (and parks included) not-being-only-for-kids... otherwise we got old at the heart.
I have only one niece, a spoilen rotten
charming girl of 3 yo.I simply cannot imagine my BIL allowing me and my fiancee to travell to WDW with his daughter...even with me footing the entire bill. Case closed.
Well, I do believe he sees me like 'that crazy geek older sister' of his wife and as I am not a mother I won't do as a guardian in a international trip with my niece... really a pity! She loves all the princessess stuff and also Pooh and co.
I do need another nieces and nephews to spoil! I am starting to think I should sabbotage some condons at my yourger sister drawers!
Ona completely OT note: tomorrow Brazil soccer team makes it debut on FIFA wolrd Cup in South Africa. I am Brazilian but I AM NOT a soccer fan. Indeed it's almost annoying pleople won't work, business will close, classes won't happen in the afternoon so all the people can go crazy cheering the team...It's like an unofficial holiday all because of a soccer play!?!
See u around!

Miriade

Quote:
Well hi everyone, I'm new to this thread, but DH and I are both childless by choice and we both LOVE DISNEY and LOVE going to WDW! We just celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary this month and we have an upcoming trip to WDW in Sept. We do have 3 furbabies (all dogs, and LOTS of nieces and nephews haha. DH is 33 and I just turned 31. Yeah, I am in the same agreement that Disney is NOT JUST FOR KIDS!!! Now I DO LOVE kids, and I would like to think that someday maybe we will have at least one (and maybe adopt another one), but so far we have just, by choice, not had kids of our own. DH and I didn't go to WDW together until our 6th wedding anniversary, the year that my mom passed away, and he had only been one other time (when he was in the band in middle school) so he didn't know very much about it at all! I showed him how to enjoy WDW and he's hooked We have gone at LEAST once a year since then.

Miriade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:31 PM   #777
maddhatir
Disney lovin' Harley gal....or is that Harley lovin' Disney gal??? ...and a huge HOWARD fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern_belle21 View Post
We have talked about taking him with us sometime when just me and DH go, but his brother won't let us. They want to be the ones to take him sometime (yeah whenever that is...). .

Welcome to the board and Happy Anniversary! Sorry you are having a hard time convincing "them" (that is what I call clueless, un-Disney people ) that Disney would be an incredible trip for everyone!

Now our BIL and SIL were the opposite. I am the Disney freak of the family and everyone knew we would be the ones taking my niece on her first trip to Disney I started saving from the time she was born and we took her a few days before her 4th b-day.

I was SHOCKED that she did not cry for mommy and daddy the whole time! I think she was having such a blast she forgot all about them By that age she was used to spending the night at most of our houses- so it did not phase her.

But, after that first trip- she has been there 4 more times, 3 with SIL and BIL and one with just my niece, me and SIL- "the girls trip".

I think once you get "them" over that hump, their eyes will open!

Good luck!

......Me and DH
Old 06-15-2010, 09:47 AM   #778
TKDizneyluver
Formerly TKDisneylover
LOVES Sorcerer Mickey! Loves riding Spaceship Earth
Wants you to have a Zip A Dee Doo Dah, Zip A Dee Day!

Quote:
I'm with you Madd, definitely enjoy the free workouts in my home. Our basement is actually a workout room with a soloflex, stair stepper, treadmill & freeweights. We also have a tv with a dvd & video player for my tapes and dvd's.

Speaking of those workouts, I hit the 30 lbs. lost mark on Saturday!!! Woot woot!!!

Quote:
Ummmm Bushy....I'm with Madd.....YOU CHEATED!!! Congrats dude!

And how about making some homemade mojitos with that fresh mint? Yummy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zima-cheryl View Post
We are heading out shortly for a baseball game tonight but just now Miss Ginger got to see some deer in our back yard. I think this is the first she's noticed them.
Ahhhh nothing like the beauty of wildlife in your backyard!

The other night I freaked out because there were critters in the treetops (blackberry tree). They were all tan, small like a cat with rounded ears, I could not figure out what the heck they were! I told DH about them and he said they were baby raccoons! They were eating the riper berries at the top of the trees, too cute!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern_belle21 View Post
Well hi everyone, I'm new to this thread, but DH and I are both childless by choice and we both LOVE DISNEY and LOVE going to WDW! We just celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary this month and we have an upcoming trip to WDW in Sept.

Coronado Springs 2009; POP Century 2008; Animal Kingdom Lodge 2007; Caribbean Beach 2004; Off grounds 2002 (never again); Port Orleans (Dixie Landings) 2001; All-Star Movies 1999; All-Star Sports 1998
TKDizneyluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:02 PM   #779
zima-cheryl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKDizneyluver View Post
Speaking of those workouts, I hit the 30 lbs. lost mark on Saturday!!! Woot woot!!!

Hooray for you!!
Old 06-15-2010, 05:19 PM   #780
maddhatir

Quote:
*raises hand* Um...I'm pretty new here, but I had to chime in when I started reading this thread. !
Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskayjay View Post
....I am feeling very cynical tonight....
I am always cynical, everything annoys the crap out of me- and then I think, wait- am I cynical or am I just a $#@!$ ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKDizneyluver View Post
I'm with you Madd, definitely enjoy the free workouts in my home. Our basement is actually a workout room with a soloflex, stair stepper, treadmill & freeweights. We also have a tv with a dvd & video player for my tapes and dvd's.

Heyyyyy chica! THAT is awesome! 30 lbs!? Keep up the good work!

Quote:
And how about making some homemade mojitos with that fresh mint? Yummy!
Last night DH and I were watching some cooking channel. This guy was making a drink that had all kinds of stuff floating around in it. I said to DH, WHY do people have to have what looks like a salad always floating around in their drinks?

I like Mojitos, they are refreshing, but I can do without sipping through the mint leaves to get to my alcohol

Tammy, are you getting ready for your cruise??

......Me and DH

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: