Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2010, 03:03 PM   #166
maddhatir
Disney lovin' Harley gal....or is that Harley lovin' Disney gal??? ...and a huge HOWARD fan!
Pirate lovin', freebie posting, Susan Lucci wannabe of the Tag World

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKDizneyluver View Post
Every time I'd look at the booger he gave me this sh!t eating grin and continue, harder!! They are lucky they got off the plane before we did because I would have strangled the little @!%#$ if I had the chance!!!
OMG- I am PMSL- was the kid's name Damien?

Quote:
And the baby crying on a plane is somewhat understandable but they do make "Earplanes" which you insert into the childs ear that keeps the ear problem under control(not sure if they can be used in infants). I've seen them at many department stores right near the Dramamine!
I think it should be mandatory for all flight attendants to carry dart guns- instant sedation for those unruly passengers young and old

......Me and DH
maddhatir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:16 PM   #167
TKDizneyluver
Formerly TKDisneylover
LOVES Sorcerer Mickey! Loves riding Spaceship Earth
Wants you to have a Zip A Dee Doo Dah, Zip A Dee Day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddhatir View Post
OMG- I am PMSL- was the kid's name Damien?
It HAD to have been!!!

Quote:
I think it should be mandatory for all flight attendants to carry dart guns- instant sedation for those unruly passengers young and old
That's it!! Remember Star Trek when the doctors would give a shot to the crew members? It looked like gun that sounded like a little air shooting out of it when they would give the shot? That would be perfect, nobody would know it was happening until the kids mouth would finally shut!!! Everyone would breathe a sigh of relief!!!

Coronado Springs 2009; POP Century 2008; Animal Kingdom Lodge 2007; Caribbean Beach 2004; Off grounds 2002 (never again); Port Orleans (Dixie Landings) 2001; All-Star Movies 1999; All-Star Sports 1998
TKDizneyluver is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-01-2010, 05:38 PM   #168
zima-cheryl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
I think Cody is selectively deaf. She doesn't hear the word "no".

Quote:
Ummm... I think a flight attendent tried that a while back. Gave a kid benadryl or something & ended up getting fired for it. Too bad - I bet most folks on the plane were grateful.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:49 PM   #169
babyrich
"I was hiding under your porch because I love you"

I am trying to add photos of my kitties but I dont know how, can anyone give me directions? Thank you
2008 - Saratoga Springs
2008 - Coronado Springs
2009 - Coronado Springs
2010 - Carribean Beach
2011 - Beach Club
2012 - Coronado Springs
2013 - All Star Movies
2013 - Pop Century
2013 - Saratoga Springs
2014 - Pop Century

babyrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:11 PM   #170
PearlySwan
"I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly because you tread on my dreams." W.B. Yeats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyvioletisme View Post
fining sounds great. perhaps based upon what behaviour the child was showing and the complaints turned in. With a review process done with the flight attendents to make sure there was actually a problem with the child and not just someone who couldn't sleep and decided to blame it on a child who wasn't actually causing problems.
^^^ I'm not child free. I had to chime in here because I too would be very annoyed if my airplane had to be diverted due to unrully kids' behavior. I'm not one of those parents who thinks everything my kids do in public is cute. First off, my kids wouldn't be allowed to run and up down the isle hitting passengers. Neither DH nor I would find such behavior funny or cute. When we fly we bring several electronic gadgets for DS. DD is a book worm so a couple of books will keep her happy on any flight. However, if by chance either of my kids misbehave there are consequences for unacceptable conduct. My kids know it. Loss of privilege works wonders on the oldest. The mere threat of a time out still works with the youngest. All I have to do is threaten to put DS in time out and he stops whatever he's not supposed to be doing. All in all I'm very lucky to have very well behaved kids.

Now having said all that, let's not forget there are many kids with special needs who have to travel too. The special need may not be readily apparent to most. In case you are wondering what I'm talking about, 1 in 80 boys are on the autism spectrum. No, I'm not talking about Rain Man. Most people hear autism and they immediately think of the extreme scenario. The autism spectrum is quite vast. Some autism spectrum kids are very obvious while others not so much. Oftentimes with that type of disability comes the undesirable sensory integration dysfunction that triggers what appears, to the untrained eye, as nothing more than annoying or unruly behavior. The kid may simply be reacting to the sounds/vibrations of the engines or the sensation of being in the air. These sensations may seem imperceptible to most adults, but to kids with sensory defensiveness they feel overwhelming.

Before anyone suggests kids with autism shouldn't travel by air, let me relate a little annecdote from a close relative of mine. She was on a transatlantic flight from Europe coming back to the USA. In her plane there was a child who screamed for bread for hours and hours without stopping. The flight attendants tried to accomodate the child's request but the parents gave the flight attendants strict instructions not to bring the kid any bread. Apparently the child was on the glutten free diet (wheat free diet) and they didn't want the kid to have any bread. The flight attendants tried to reason with the parents who didn't budge on the issue. The end result was a very uncomfortable transatlantic flight for all the passengers on that plane. Who is to blame here? The kid? She was obviously suffering from a disability. The flight attendants? They tried to make the kid happy. The parents? They might have felt as if they were doing the kid a favor by witholding an offending ingredient (wheat) from her diet. To most passengers this type of behavior may have appeared as nothing more than an unruly spoiled little brat who wasn't getting her way. But if the kid was on the autism spectrum, then her disability wasn't visible. People often times will make judgements without realizing there might be more to it than meets the eye. Obviously that family couldn't have traveled by land from Europe to the USA. So not putting that kid on that plane was not an option. Personally I would have caved and given the kid the bread to make her and everyone else on that plane happy, but everyone is different.
PearlySwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:35 PM   #171
calypso726
DIS Veteran

Popping in to say Hi and join the thread. DH and I are CF by choice and going on 14 years of marriage We are both Disney fanatics and visit about 4-5 times a year, mostly shorter trips which are easy to do being only a 3 hour drive away. I don't dislike kids (most of the time) and am a former elementary school teacher. When we come across screaming unruly children we always give oursleves a pat on the back and I usually murmur, "That's why we don't have kids" under my breath That said, I totally get a kick out of watching the expressions of the little ones when they see their favorite character, or the look of amazement and wonder on their faces during Wishes or Spectromagic Those looks are adorable to me and always bring a smile to my face. So, I can enjoy them, I just don't want to bring them home or be responsible for them. We do have 5 Golden Retrievers and one Devon Rex cat My mom is quite fine with the fact that her grandkids from me and DH have fur and four legs I have come across people who look at us like we are from outer space because we don't want to have kids I don't get why they wanted kids to begin with but figure it's not my business and to each their own Our favorite more adult oriented dining experiences at WDW have been Victoria & Albert's, California Grill, Jiko, Flying Fish and Narcoose's. Always looking for good suggestions on dining that is more adult oriented.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:19 PM   #172
PammieJ
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlySwan View Post
^^^
Now having said all that, let's not forget there are many kids with special needs who have to travel too.
I'm not saying that kids with handicaps or special needs should be prohibited from flying (or participating in any other activity, for that matter). But I think it's only fair for parents of any child, handicapped or not, to take responsibility for their child's behavior no matter where they take them.

I hope you don't mind if I rant....I too am not child-free, but this has always been a real hot topic for me. What kind of person would torture a plane full of people with her child's ear-splitting tantrum? What kind of parent views that kind of behavior as cute or entertaining? Surely, the kid isn't having the time of his life?? My point is that if people are going to take on the awesome and difficult challenge of raising children, they need to be prepared to step up when things get ugly. Many kids with autism can't handle excessive stimulation, so imagine what they must go through when they arrive at Magic Kingdom? Is it fair, as a parent, to over-stimulate your kid to the point that he's frantic and out of control? Whose vacation is it, anyway?? Perhaps it's not an appropriate vacation trip at this particular time. And those are the hard choices that parents have to make, don't you think?

OK, I feel better, now. I was not a perfect parent, and I sure didn't have perfect children. But as young adults, they are self-sufficient and healthy, so I guess I didn't screw them up too bad!
Hi, Calypso 726. We have found that mid-September is pretty adult-friendly.
PammieJ June 2007 POR--Sam's Graduation November 2007 CSR--Conference September 2009 POFQ 25th Anniversary September 2010 POFQ November 2010 CSR--Conference January 2011FW Cabins--"Irene Fights Like a Girl" September 2011--CBR--Me & Hubby April 2012 American Academy of Professional Coders Conference
PammieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:12 PM   #173
maddhatir
Disney lovin' Harley gal....or is that Harley lovin' Disney gal??? ...and a huge HOWARD fan!
Pirate lovin', freebie posting, Susan Lucci wannabe of the Tag World

Quote:
Originally Posted by calypso726 View Post
Popping in to say Hi and join the thread. DH and I are CF by choice and going on 14 years of marriage When we come across screaming unruly children we always give oursleves a pat on the back and I usually murmur, "That's why we don't have kids" under my breath
Welcome Calypso!!!!

DH and I usually look at each other when we come across those kids and and say "Better them than us!" and continue strolling along peacefully!

Quote:
I have come across people who look at us like we are from outer space because we don't want to have kids I don't get why they wanted kids to begin with but figure it's not my business and to each their own
ITA!!!!! I cannot even comprehend the idea of why people WANT kids just as much as they cannot comprehend why I do NOT want them! So why are WE the crazy ones?? Have you seen some of these parents? They look like THEY are the ones at their wits end, not me

You know, I just remembered something today! I said no one ever made a rude comment about me being childless, I was wrong. Someone made a comment elsewhere that I would not be a good mother b/c I like Marilyn Manson!

The person is just worthless and I would not even comment on their stupidity. But I thought that was pretty rude.

......Me and DH

Last edited by maddhatir; 03-01-2010 at 08:20 PM.
maddhatir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:12 PM   #174
Alesia
DIS Veteran

Speaking of kids on airplanes, We had a bad experience on the way from Orlando last year.

We were in our seats for less than 5 minutes when the little girl behind us start in with the most ear-splitting whine I have ever heard. "I waaaaant to sit next to mommmmmmy. Why does Ethan get to sit next to mommy? I Don't want to sit next to daddy. I want to sit next to mommmmmyyyyyy!" She goes on and on like this for another 5 minutes until she is about to hit full-on tantrum mode.

Keep in mind this was not a small child. She was at least 7 or 8 years old. Apparently this is pretty common behavior for her, because her younger sister turns to her and says, "Will you please stop whining??" Her answer was, "I'm not whininnnng."

Anyway - Mom and dad decide to change seats (mind you, they were on opposite sides of the plane) so dad has to jerk my seat back in order to get out of his seat. Then he has to shove it forward to get past his daughter in the seat next to him. Then mommy has to push and pull on my seat a few times while she gets settled in. Finally everyone is settled in and the little princess decides to start kicking my seat. Over and over and over. Finally I turn around and give her a good glare and she stops.

We had a lot of turbulence on that flight. I really wanted to turn around and tell that little girl that the turbulence was God's punishment for her whining

Alesia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:40 PM   #175
zima-cheryl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We do have 5 Golden Retrievers and one Devon Rex cat My mom is quite fine with the fact that her grandkids from me and DH have fur and four legs I have come across people who look at us like we are from outer space because we don't want to have kids I don't get why they wanted kids to begin with but figure it's not my business and to each their own Our favorite more adult oriented dining experiences at WDW have been Victoria & Albert's, California Grill, Jiko, Flying Fish and Narcoose's. Always looking for good suggestions on dining that is more adult oriented.
Welcome Calypso!

Your dog is just beautiful! And you have 5 of them. I'm envious.

How do you like Victoria & Albert's? We've never been, but I'm thinking it may be worth the splurge on our next trip. Is the food that good? Would you go again?

Right now I'm on the fence between Paradiso 37 and Ragalan Road as our favs. (can I call them 1A & 1B?) Both for very different reasons. I'm also very partial to Restaurant Marrakesh @ Epcot.
I know some folks complain food @ WDW can be a bit bland, but personally I've had some unique & tasty meals there.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:50 PM   #176
zima-cheryl
DIS Veteran

So totally unrelated to anything on the last 10 pages -- who plans to see "Alice in Wonderland" opening weekend?

And is anyone else already disapointed that it is PG? I'm just afraid it will be like "Charlie & the Chocolate Factory" so much potential but a big let down in the end.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:05 PM   #177
calypso726
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Welcome Calypso!!!!

You know, I just remembered something today! I said no one ever made a rude comment about me being childless, I was wrong. Someone made a comment elsewhere that I would not be a good mother b/c I like Marilyn Manson!
That is just ridiculous. What does one's musical tastes have to do with parenting. I actually like Hannah Montana. Does that mean I would be a good mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by zima-cheryl View Post
Welcome Calypso!

Your dog is just beautiful! And you have 5 of them. I'm envious.

How do you like Victoria & Albert's? We've never been, but I'm thinking it may be worth the splurge on our next trip. Is the food that good? Would you go again?

Right now I'm on the fence between Paradiso 37 and Ragalan Road as our favs. (can I call them 1A & 1B?) Both for very different reasons. I'm also very partial to Restaurant Marrakesh @ Epcot.
I know some folks complain food @ WDW can be a bit bland, but personally I've had some unique & tasty meals there.
Thank you! Yes, 5, I show and breed Champion Goldens.

We love V & A!!! We have been twice now and am planning to take my parents there at some point down the line. I thought is was fabulous. At first we thought we'd be leaving hungry because each course is very small. However, we were both stuffed at the end. I did enjoy the overall experience and the food was fantastic. I also added the wine pairings and they were perfect. I definitely think it is worth the splurge at least once and cross it off the "bucket list" so to speak. We've only been to Marrakesh once. Haven't tried Raglan Road or Paradiso 37 yet. What do you like about each one?
Old 03-01-2010, 09:07 PM   #178
calypso726
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zima-cheryl View Post

So totally unrelated to anything on the last 10 pages -- who plans to see "Alice in Wonderland" opening weekend?

And is anyone else already disapointed that it is PG? I'm just afraid it will be like "Charlie & the Chocolate Factory" so much potential but a big let down in the end.
I really wanted to but have a good excuse for not seeing it opening weekend I will be in WDW for the D23 first Aniversary event and staying through the weekend
Old 03-01-2010, 09:09 PM   #179
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
I really wanted to but have a good excuse for not seeing it opening weekend I will be in WDW for the D23 first Aniversary event and staying through the weekend
We'll be in WDW too!
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge resort not yet decided!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:12 PM   #180
HockeyKat
DIS Veteran

I am going to add in a vote against V&A. I thought it was very good, don't get me wrong, but just a little above my price range for what you get.

Hi Calypso!!

T-2 days until Disney!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: