Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2010, 11:27 AM   #151
SanFranciscan
DIS Veteran

My husband just handed me an article about children on airplanes, which was printed last week in the USA Today. Allegedly some airlines want to treat unruly children the same way they treat drunks and divert airplanes at the parents' expense if necessary. What do you think of this?

I haven't read the article yet, but my husband said that one kid went down the aisle hitting passengers. The parents just thought that that was funny. If I saw a little brat doing that, I would tell him that if he hit me I was going to hit his mommy. Let's see how funny the parents thought that that was. Too young to behave on an airplane is too young to fly.
SanFranciscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:28 AM   #152
Shyvioletisme
So I have a doppleganger running around out there with a kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
This morning I was the very angry mother of a kitty!

Cody has decided that 5am is breakfast time, no matter what. So she'll kiss and jump and run around, and when we don't feed her, she'll kiss and jump and run around, etc. She even learned how to open the bedroom door to get back in after we shut her out.
lol. Our Kitty Lestat the past few days has not decided that nighttime is playtime and we should be awake to play with him all night. For newcomers, my DH's company laid off nearly everyone in December and we ended up having to move back to our hometown and in with my parents. So we are inhabiting my old childhood bedroom. My parents have 3 cats and Lestat has been an only cat for at least 6.5 years. So he is not taking well to the other cats and tends to want to spend all his time locked up in our room.
So at night lately, he tends to keep jumping up on the shelf above our bed and walking over to the door and scratching and scratching, which wakes us up and he wants to play...ALL night..ugh...we've been up most of the night the past few days...sometimes I think he is worse than having a baby...

WDW: last trip:
Oct/Nov 2005 CBR for Honeymoon
FLICKR: http://www.flickr.com/photos/67045761@N00/
Shyvioletisme is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-01-2010, 11:31 AM   #153
Shyvioletisme

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFranciscan View Post
My husband just handed me an article about children on airplanes, which was printed last week in the USA Today. Allegedly some airlines want to treat unruly children the same way they treat drunks and divert airplanes at the parents' expense if necessary. What do you think of this?

I haven't read the article yet, but my husband said that one kid went down the aisle hitting passengers. The parents just thought that that was funny. If I saw a little brat doing that, I would tell him that if he hit me I was going to hit his mommy. Let's see how funny the parents thought that that was. Too young to behave on an airplane is too young to fly.
I think it's a decent idea. If a child is posing that much of a disturbance to the other passengers, then something needs to be done.
Problem is the kinds of parents this would encompass are the kind that think everything their snowflake does is "just precious" and probably still wouldn't get the message even after getting booted off a plane.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:37 AM   #154
HockeyKat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Bea Arthur is an excellent name for a kitten. My SO played Bea Arthur's son on Broadway
Her name is actually Trinity, after Trinity from the Matrix, because when we first got her she bounced off the walls like that. Bea Arthur is just a nickname when she murrrs... she has a really deep cat voice, as well.

And, that's awesome!! I love Bea Arthur.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:41 AM   #155
zima-cheryl
DIS Veteran

Kat -- is your white cat albino (sp?)? Or just all white?
If just all white, are the eyes the same color? And is she deaf?
Old 03-01-2010, 11:51 AM   #156
HockeyKat
DIS Veteran

She is all white, with green eyes, and not deaf. She is 9 years old. The calico will be 2 this spring.

White cats with blue eyes tend to be deaf (some sort of genetic link, I think), but not the green-eyed ones, thankfully.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:53 AM   #157
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

I think Cody is selectively deaf. She doesn't hear the word "no".
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:55 AM   #158
HockeyKat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I think Cody is selectively deaf. She doesn't hear the word "no".
Hmm, selectively deaf. Sounds like Mr. Kat.

The calico (Maya), doesn't hear the word no either. She sure hears the doorbell, though... it freaks her out every time, even on TV.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:02 PM   #159
maddhatir
Disney lovin' Harley gal....or is that Harley lovin' Disney gal??? ...and a huge HOWARD fan!
Pirate lovin', freebie posting, Susan Lucci wannabe of the Tag World

I think it depends on the circumstances. I know some kids have a lot of ear pain when flying. I do not want to hear the kid screaming and it is annoyng as h#!! but that is different than a child running up and down the aisles or just being a brat.

I went to Disney with just my SIL and my niece 2 years ago. My niece was 6 at the time. She was well behaved but a few times I had to tell SIL what child-free people really feel about her child doing things. She was shocked. She thought everyone loved that her child was singing loudly in the restaurant and on the bus- I said, no, actually it is frickin' ANNOYING! She is one of those parents who thinks everything her kids do is adorable. I had to take her down a few notches

......Me and DH
maddhatir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:04 PM   #160
HockeyKat
DIS Veteran

I agree. A baby crying on an airplane is completely different than a toddler or young child running up and down the aisles hitting people.

I actually usually just feel sorry for parents at WDW with the really young ones acting up. I don't even care if a little one runs in my path, as long as the parent is actively trying (if that makes sense) and apologizes... I don't expect that an under 5 is old enough to do everything that the parents wants them to do.

It's the ones that don't try and have the isn't my little one precious and aren't you a PITA for even being in my little one's path that tick me off.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:02 PM   #161
Mickey'snewestfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFranciscan View Post

I'm not childfree (I'm actually a single mom by choice) but I saw this and had to comment.

I do think, 100%, that parents need much stronger incentives to control their kids in public. But, I would also be really annoyed if I were on a plane and it was rerouted for anything other than a huge immediate safety issue. I think there has to be another option to communicate to families that this behavior is a problem that doesn't eat into my vacation, my work trip, etc. . . . If I missed an important meeting, or a funeral, or my reservations with Mickey because the airline couldn't come up with a more creative way to solve the problem than this I'd be really really annoyed.

What about revoking return tickets, or fining parents, or in this case notifying CPS and the police at the arrival destination, or any other solution that doesn't involve me having to land, wait on the tarmac (probably for quite a while since this would likely mean a crew change since we're off schedule) and then take another flight.
Mickey'snewestfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:19 PM   #162
maddhatir
Disney lovin' Harley gal....or is that Harley lovin' Disney gal??? ...and a huge HOWARD fan!
Pirate lovin', freebie posting, Susan Lucci wannabe of the Tag World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'snewestfan View Post
I'm not childfree (I'm actually a single mom by choice) but I saw this and had to comment.

I do think, 100%, that parents need much stronger incentives to control their kids in public. But, I would also be really annoyed if I were on a plane and it was rerouted for anything other than a huge immediate safety issue. I think there has to be another option to communicate to families that this behavior is a problem that doesn't eat into my vacation, my work trip, etc. . . . If I missed an important meeting, or a funeral, or my reservations with Mickey because the airline couldn't come up with a more creative way to solve the problem than this I'd be really really annoyed.
This is true- not only would I be inconvenienced by a child acting up on a plane, they would also interfere with me getting to my destination on time. Now that I think about it, I would be pretty darn pissed if anyone got in my way of arriving in Disney on time- that is for sure

Quote:
What about revoking return tickets, or fining parents, or in this case notifying CPS and the police at the arrival destination, or any other solution that doesn't involve me having to land, wait on the tarmac (probably for quite a while since this would likely mean a crew change since we're off schedule) and then take another flight.
Now, fining IS a great idea.

I am sure it is (most) parent's worst nightmare to have their child act up on a plane (or just the thought of it happening)- probably just as horrifying as the CF person who spots a child boarding the same plane

......Me and DH
maddhatir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:44 PM   #163
Shyvioletisme

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddhatir View Post

I am sure it is (most) parent's worst nightmare to have their child act up on a plane (or just the thought of it happening)- probably just as horrifying as the CF person who spots a child boarding the same plane
fining sounds great. perhaps based upon what behaviour the child was showing and the complaints turned in. With a review process done with the flight attendents to make sure there was actually a problem with the child and not just someone who couldn't sleep and decided to blame it on a child who wasn't actually causing problems.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:48 PM   #164
HockeyKat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddhatir View Post

I agree on fining.

Not as horrifying as an entire class of 8th graders, which happened to me once... then again, I think that is horrifying to CF and non-CF alike!!
Old 03-01-2010, 02:46 PM   #165
TKDizneyluver
Formerly TKDisneylover
LOVES Sorcerer Mickey! Loves riding Spaceship Earth
Wants you to have a Zip A Dee Doo Dah, Zip A Dee Day!

Hola everyone!!

I agree, a nice FAT fine would be perfect for parents who choose to let their little "angels" run around and be unruly on a plane. I had a kid sitting behind me once who insisted on kicking the back of my chair the entire flight to WDW!!! He was with his grandparents and they would ask him in a quite kind voice to "please stop doing that Johnny", but you know how that goes! Every time I'd look at the booger he gave me this sh!t eating grin and continue, harder!! They are lucky they got off the plane before we did because I would have strangled the little @!%#$ if I had the chance!!!

And the baby crying on a plane is somewhat understandable but they do make "Earplanes" which you insert into the childs ear that keeps the ear problem under control(not sure if they can be used in infants). I've seen them at many department stores right near the Dramamine!

I love seeing everyone's kitty pictures!! They are all so adorable!! DH and I have not ventured out to the Humane Society to look at their cats. I guess since our two "kids" have been gone we are getting used to not having responsibilities which has been really nice. But I truly do miss having pets.

It's great to see all the new peeps on the thread, welcome all you newbies!!

Coronado Springs 2009; POP Century 2008; Animal Kingdom Lodge 2007; Caribbean Beach 2004; Off grounds 2002 (never again); Port Orleans (Dixie Landings) 2001; All-Star Movies 1999; All-Star Sports 1998
TKDizneyluver is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: