Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2010, 09:35 AM   #1
Pinky166
a little on the OCD side
very impulsive, which doesn’t bode well for our credit cards!
They don't call me "Clever Claire" for nothing!

It’s a “Wonder” I survived Trip Report: Day 16 – Day at Sea, Palo’s Brunch & the Spa

The Cast:

Me, 34 – Disney obsessed, Shopaholic & extremely clumsy!
Lee (DH), 35 – aka the Mad Hatter….

23rd September 2009 = Day 16

I got out of bed about 7am after a very restless nights sleep, my heat rash was itching like crazy all night. I sat out on the verandah just watching the sea, I found it very calming. Lee woke about an hour later and we lazed about watching the TV for a while before showering and getting ready for our brunch at Palo’s.

Firstly we headed up to shutters to check out our photo’s, we couldn’t decide what to buy so we left it until later and went up to Palo’s. We were seated straight away and once again our server was Brendan. Brendan took us over to the buffet and talked us through everything then got our drinks, an orange juice for Lee and a Mimosa for me.

We went up to the buffet and Lee got a plate of seafood, whilst I just had a roll. For the hot course, Lee had the Chicken Parmigiana with chicken risotto and I had a bacon, sausage, mushroom and onion frittata. (It was the lightest option, I was still full up from dinner last night!)

(Sorry I had started to eat before I remembered to take a photo)

Here are photos of the dessert selection at the buffet:

We got lots to share so we could try a bit of everything as we were so full up.

We also had two latte’s each during the meal. It was great value for $15 each + tip but next time I would try and have a bigger gap between the two meals!!!! I forgot to mention that Chris & Raylyn our table mates were in Palo’s for dinner at the same time as us the night before, they were also there for brunch two tables away from us. We paid the bill and said our goodbyes to Brendan. We decided to go for a walk around the ship to walk off some of the food we had eaten and to take some photos.

The Atrium:

The entrance to Tritions, where we would be eating this evening:

The staircase & details around the atrium:

Continued below........

Sept 2000 - I-Drive, Sept 2002 - Kissimmee, Sept 2003 - AKL, Sept/Oct 2006 - Univ PBR, June 2008 - DLRP, Hotel NY, Dec 2008 - Univ HRH, WL & YC, Sept 2009 - OKW, 4n Wonder & Poly, June 2010 - BLT, Nov 2010 - DLRP, Sequoia Lodge, Jan 2011 - Univ RPR, Dream Maiden Voyage & AKV, Sept 2011 - WBTA & BLT, Oct 2012 - Paris & DLRP, June 2013 - 7n Med Cruise, Oct 2013 - Univ RPR, SSR, & Fantasy, May 2014 - EBTA, Sept 2014 - WBTA
Pinky166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:37 AM   #2
Pinky166
a little on the OCD side

I love the little details that Disney does so well. Above the lifts:

The huge mural behind the glass lifts:

We walked along to the Radar trap so I could collect my shopping from Castaway Cay, I love the Route 66 theme:

We went up to Deck 4 as I wanted to buy a DCL photo frame, on the way back we walked past the cruise booking desk. The lady was dealing with another couple so we waited as I wanted to ask if she had any information on the newly announced Alaskan cruise. About ten minutes later we walked away with a dummy booking for our next DCL cruise!!! The dummy booking gave us the onboard 10% rebooking discount and all we needed to do was transfer it over to the Alaskan cruise once they started accepting bookings a few days later, which we did with ease once we got home.

We went back to our room and began to pack a few things. It was soon time for our 3.30pm Spa treatment, I had booked an Exotic Rasual treatment for us both. The only reason for booking this treatment was so we could have a mud fight! We got changed into the bath robes and slippers provided, we were then told that they were waiting for an electrician to arrive as all the lights had gone off in the room we would be using. We were shown into the Rainforest room to wait, after about 20 minutes the lady came back to apologise and tell us that it was a wiring problem so wouldn’t be fixed anytime soon. We got changed and as were we leaving the Spa manager came over and gave us a big tub of the Elemis body scrub as compensation, which was a lovely gesture.

We went back to the room to figure out what to do instead, I wanted to go and sit out on Deck but I knew I couldn't as my legs were so swollen and red raw, being out in the sun would have made them a lot worse. Lilo & Stitch was on the TV so we watched that for a while, I also filled in our customs forms, luggage labels and sorted out our tip envelopes. By then it was about 5pm so we showered and got dressed and headed off to see the “Disney Dreams” show. It was really good, I took a few photos but they are not very good as it was very dark and you’re not allowed to use the flash.

After the show we went up to Shutters and bought some of our photos then quickly dropped them back at the room before making our way to Tritons for dinner. For dinner this evening Lee had Shrimps to start, I haven’t noted what they were served with though? I had a mushroom tart but left most of it as I didn’t like it. For main course Lee had lamb shank with polenta and I had beef tenderloin with mash, Lee had a Corona and I had a few glasses of Pinot Grigio. Dessert, Lee surprise surprise went for the Crème Brulee! Whilst I had an Ice Cream Sundae, then we both had a café latte.

We had another lovely evening with Chris & Raylyn, it was Chris’s birthday yesterday (we were all at Palo’s) so we sneakily told Kate & Balwan, then during the meal lots of servers surrounded our table and we all sang Happy Birthday and they gave him a cake. Bless him, he was very embarrassed.

This is Kate, our server, she was so lovely:

Kate kindly took some photos of us with Chris & Raylyn, we swapped email addresses with them and made arrangements to meet up for breakfast in the morning before we disembark. We left the restaurant through a different door as they had blocked off the main entrance to the restaurant but as we walked around to the Atrium we realised why, it was the Farewell, we had missed some of it but saw Christian and all the characters who were lining the stairwell, then they released lots of Mickey head sprinkles over us all.

We went back to our room and were met with this little fella on our bed and also the items that I had asked to be signed by all the characters had been returned and placed on the bed.

We finished up the packing and put our luggage out for collection just before 11pm. Before going to bed very sad that the cruise was over. Roll on 2011!!!!!

Coming soon – Day 17 = Saying goodbye to the Wonder, Hello to the Poly & Hot Chocolate or NOT Chocolate????

Sept 2000 - I-Drive, Sept 2002 - Kissimmee, Sept 2003 - AKL, Sept/Oct 2006 - Univ PBR, June 2008 - DLRP, Hotel NY, Dec 2008 - Univ HRH, WL & YC, Sept 2009 - OKW, 4n Wonder & Poly, June 2010 - BLT, Nov 2010 - DLRP, Sequoia Lodge, Jan 2011 - Univ RPR, Dream Maiden Voyage & AKV, Sept 2011 - WBTA & BLT, Oct 2012 - Paris & DLRP, June 2013 - 7n Med Cruise, Oct 2013 - Univ RPR, SSR, & Fantasy, May 2014 - EBTA, Sept 2014 - WBTA
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2010, 09:51 AM   #3
mandymouse
If It's Not A Bahama Mama Then I'm Not Interested
Can I put my Christmas Tree up yet ?

DISboards Moderator

What a lovely day at sea Claire, though it's a shame you couldn't enjoy the sun too

Thanks for the pics from Palo, I can dream about those little glasses of Tiramisu (Mmm) and what better way to start the day than with a glass of Mimosa

It's a shame your cruise trippy is coming to an end, I've really enjoyed reading them, though I look forward to seeing your Poly photos

mandymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:55 AM   #4
CustardTart

I am sooo proud, happy, relieved and impressed - it's a great day...

Another lovely day, Claire - tho' it's a shame about your prickly heat. I hope it won't be too much of a problem in June, hun...

And I've just noticed the date of this instalment - September 23rd, my Wedding Anniversary!!! And 2 years before, Richard & I were on the Magic enjoying our first - wait for it - Palo Brunch!!!! Spooky huh....? OK not that much...

IMO the trick with brunch is to pace yourself!!! Last year, on our 4th attempt , we felt we got it just about right and were able to try most things without feeling we were about to explode!!! I think we ate lightly at Topsiders (Beach Blanket Buffet) the night before, rather than in one of the dining rooms and that helped...

Fab pics - the ones of the ship are beautiful... I never get tired of just wandering around and enjoying the ambience...
Grand Floridian Resort & Spa - Christmas 1998 * Dolphin/Vero Beach - Easter 2000 * Polynesian - August 2001 * Grand Floridian Resort & Spa - August 2004 * Beach Club/DCL Wonder - May 2005 * Grand Californian Hotel - NYE 2005 * Polynesian - August 2006 * DCL Magic Western Caribbean - September 2007 * Yacht Club - October 2007 * Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa - December 2007 * Villas at Wilderness Lodge/DCL Wonder Double Dip - May 2008 * DCL Magic Mexican Riviera/Disneyland Hotel - August 2008 * Boardwalk Villas - October 2008 * Animal Kingdom Villas/Hard Rock Hotel Club - Easter 2009 * Bay Lake Tower/DCL Magic Eastern Caribbean & Tortola/Villas at Wilderness Lodge - September 2009 * Bay Lake Tower - June 2010 * DCL Magic Westbound Transatlantic - September 2010 * Old Key West - October 2010 * Sequoia Lodge/Paris - November 2010 * Boardwalk Villas/DCL Dream Inaugural Cruise - January 2011 * Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa/Villas at Wilderness Lodge - November 2011 * Animal Kingdom Villas/DCL Fantasy Western Caribbean - November 2012...
CustardTart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:08 AM   #5
disney_princess_85
Liked the sky effect
If we feel like having pop tarts for breakfast we can

Great update!

I wasn't aware of the Alaskan cruise, that sounds very interesting.
January 2002- Disneyland Paris, Sequoia Lodge, October 2007- Disneyland Paris, Newport Bay Club, May 2008- Walt Disney World, Pop Century/Universal Studios, Royal Pacific Resort, January 2009- Disneyland Paris, Holiday Inn, March 2009- Disneyland Paris, Sequoia Lodge, May 2009- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, September 2009- Walt Disney World, Coronado Springs/Universal Studios, Hard Rock Hotel Club Level, November 2009- Disneyland Paris, Hotel Cheyenne, February 2010- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, May 2010- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, August-September 2010- Walt Disney World, Saratoga Springs/Universal Studios, Royal Pacific Resort Club Level, October 2010- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, December 2010-January 2011- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, September 2011- Walt Disney World, POFQ/Disney Dream/Walt Disney World, Saratoga Springs, October 2012- Walt Disney World, Pop Century/Disney Dream/Walt Disney World, Wilderness Lodge, February 2013- Disneyland Paris, Hotel Cheyenne, October 2013- Walt Disney World, Old Key West, Animal Kingdom Lodge

Lauren
disney_princess_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:15 AM   #6
thelittlemermaid83
My reign will be a super-awesome thing
I will just live in suspense
I'm officially crazy

I am so sad the Cruise is over aswell

But Roll on the next one!
thelittlemermaid83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:26 AM   #7
natalielongstaff
I need a cup of tea and a big bar of free chocolate now
Was born with my dancing shoes at the ready
I will be back later to stalk some more

shame you were too full for palo, it looks lovely

natalielongstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:31 AM   #8
Pinky166
a little on the OCD side

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandymouse View Post
What a lovely day at sea Claire, though it's a shame you couldn't enjoy the sun too

Thanks for the pics from Palo, I can dream about those little glasses of Tiramisu (Mmm) and what better way to start the day than with a glass of Mimosa

It's a shame your cruise trippy is coming to an end, I've really enjoyed reading them, though I look forward to seeing your Poly photos
Thanks Mandy, It has cheered me up thinking back about the cruise.

Hopefully i'll have the first Poly one up tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CustardTart View Post
Another lovely day, Claire - tho' it's a shame about your prickly heat. I hope it won't be too much of a problem in June, hun...

And I've just noticed the date of this instalment - September 23rd, my Wedding Anniversary!!! And 2 years before, Richard & I were on the Magic enjoying our first - wait for it - Palo Brunch!!!! Spooky huh....? OK not that much...

IMO the trick with brunch is to pace yourself!!! Last year, on our 4th attempt , we felt we got it just about right and were able to try most things without feeling we were about to explode!!! I think we ate lightly at Topsiders (Beach Blanket Buffet) the night before, rather than in one of the dining rooms and that helped...

Fab pics - the ones of the ship are beautiful... I never get tired of just wandering around and enjoying the ambience...
Yeah I was thinking about that earlier as it is going to be hot hot hot in June! Mind you it was worse as i'd run out of tablets and cream, plus the fact my ankle was swollen from falling over which didn't help. Don't worry i'll take a case full of tablets and creams, one things for sure it won't stop my cocktail intake.

Oh that is spooky! Yes I think eating a Palo's twice within just over 12 hours was the main issue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney_princess_85 View Post
Great update!

I wasn't aware of the Alaskan cruise, that sounds very interesting.
Thanks. You should have a look on DCL's site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelittlemermaid83 View Post
I am so sad the Cruise is over aswell

But Roll on the next one!
Sorry Em, me too. Look on the bright side they'll be two cruise reports next year.

In fact this time next year I will be on the first DREAM cruise!!!

Old 01-27-2010, 10:39 AM   #9
thelittlemermaid83
My reign will be a super-awesome thing
I will just live in suspense
I'm officially crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky166 View Post

In fact this time next year I will be on the first DREAM cruise!!!
Not that i'm jealous or anything
thelittlemermaid83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:57 AM   #10
jamjar84
DIS Veteran

Great report, you've got some lovely photos of the ship there.

I've really enjoyed reading your report about the cruise, and I definately want to add it to my list of must do's. Just got to let my babies grow up a bit and finish my teaching course, then I am there.

Can't wait to hear about the Poly.
jamjar84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:35 AM   #11
Natasha&Matt
I fancy Prince Eric

awesome trippie so far! cannot wait to hear about The Poly!

May 2005 All star Movies May 2008 Pop Century September 2009 Newport Bay Club
May 2010 Enclave Suites/Hard Rock Hotel Club/Pop Century

Natasha&Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:43 AM   #12
wickesy
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow, you're always a day...closer to our next Disney trip
I will be opening a sack full of cards and fighting off the advances of lots of lovely ladies

Well that settles it I MUST go to Palo for brunch on my birthday! I love the little Tiramisu glasses, they look really cute.

I currently live in London until I have enough DVC points to stay at Animal Kingdom Villas every day of the year

Sep '92, Apr '07 - Contemporary Resort ~ Apr '08 - Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ Aug '08 - Grand Californian ~ Mar '09 - Saratoga Springs ~ Mar '10 - DLP ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
Trip Reports: WDW April '07 ~ Canada August '07 ~ WDW April '08 ~ SF & Disneyland August '08 ~ WDW March '09 ~ Smokies August '09 ~ DLP March '10 ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
wickesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:29 PM   #13
jockey
Repeat after me....I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's!!!!!!

Lovely day
Old 01-28-2010, 08:08 AM   #14
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

The guy in your photo who is prince charming was sat next to us a Palo's.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:19 PM   #15
Ware Bears

Elvis Fan
Fridge Magnet hoarder

DISboards Moderator

A lovely day, your photos are fantastic.
WDW Holiday Inn Nikki Bird Easter 2004 DLP Explorers August 2005 DLP Explorers Christmas 2005 DLP Explorers August 2006 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Grand Plaza, St Pete Beach Easter 2007 DLP Explorers Halloween 2007 DLP Explorers August 2008 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Disney Wonder Bahamas/Yacht Club Christmas 2009 New Year 2010 DLP Disneyland Hotel May 2011 DLP Newport Bay Club August 2012 DCL Disney Wonder Alaska DL Candy Cane Inn August 2013
Moderator Disneyland Paris
Ware Bears is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: