Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2010, 01:13 PM   #31
iheartdolewhips
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberius View Post
Rebecca - Do you prefer Rebecca or a nickname? I loved the whole Stargate and SG Atlantis series', and really want to like Universe when it picks back up as well. You may be new to running, but you'll have some other team members there for Princess in March you might be able to meet up with--it took me over 2 years to get to meet some of these guys. Welcome to running and welcome to the Team.
Yay! Rebecca is fine with me. I've seen a lot of episodes of SG1, but not in any particular order, so I don't know all of the intricacies of their villains, just the basics (I always have to ask my husband questions when we watch it). Though I totally loved Vala and watched all of those episodes. One day I'll watch them all, but ten seasons is a lot to get caught up on! I just really prefer the characters and "feel" of Atlantis to the other two. SGU is pretty cool, but it feels more like Battlestar Galactica meets Lost than Stargate to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseDogMom View Post
Rebecca – Welcome! Any fan of Dole Whips is a friend of mine! The saddest moment of marathon weekend was when I passed the Dole Whip stand and realized I was too cold to eat one. I actually went the entire week without one, and now am kicking myself repeatedly.
Thank you! I'm not sure I could ever be too cold for a dole whip (or ice cream). My husband fusses at me when I get ice cream and then complain about being cold. If only he understood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFigawi View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but what is a Dole Whip? I'm an ice cream guy myself, but everyone here seems to love them.
Oh I'm a total ice cream lover too. I just got disappointed with my Disney ice cream because I thought "I could have gotten mint chocolate chip ice cream anywhere!" A Dole whip is a non-dairy frozen concoction that's ice cream by my book. The classic flavor is pineapple, but they also have orange and vanilla. You can get any of these two flavors swirled. You can get just the Dole whip or you can get it as a float with pineapple juice. My favorite is the vanilla Dole whip float. You can get them at Aloha Isle in Adventureland and Captain Cook's at the Polynesian. They're very yummy! And if you're on the dining plan, they all count as a snack credit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughinplace199 View Post
Sandy, Rebecca, & Christine, to the family!
Thank you!

Canceled our May trip because I broke my tailbone.

Resorts we have stayed at: Fort Wilderness, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs, Port Orleans Riverside, and Polynesian
I have also stayed at: All Star Music and Pop Century
Favorite Restaurants: Kona Cafe, Yak and Yeti, and T-Rex
iheartdolewhips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:22 PM   #32
IMGONNABE40!
Okay, I already am 40, but if I were to change my name, how would you know it was me?
Proud owner of a six foot giraffe
Don't be a Doofus!

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone.

I am also a big fan of Dole Whip floats. And on my last day at Disney--yes, the day it was starting to warm up my last stop before heading to the resort for my ME bus was to Aloha Island to get my fix!!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-26-2010, 01:46 PM   #33
tiberius
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartdolewhips View Post
SGU is pretty cool, but it feels more like Battlestar Galactica meets Lost than Stargate to me.
I just love that analysis!!!

Sometimes you gotta to create what you want to be a part of. -- Allison Maloney (1988 - 2009)
tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:55 PM   #34
Sandy321
Crazy enough to want to do another Half Marathon!
If it were all about me? - I'd go with the Princesses!!

Thanks for the Welcome!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFigawi View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but what is a Dole Whip? I'm an ice cream guy myself, but everyone here seems to love them.
It has become Disboard LEGEND - we get one, and they are ok - but its strictly tradition, the 3 of us share the float! We do love pineapple tho..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberius View Post
San Antonio Half? Really?
Then I just might not try to talk you into the Goofy if you come down here! Just remember you worked me over last year to do Goofy.

TEAM 'OHANA MEETS

Based on initial speculation I am seeing at least 2 good opportunities for Team 'Ohana Meets this year.
At this point I am including all "maybes" on the list. Let me know if I should add any other names or races to this list. I'll also try to keep a copy of the list on the first page of this thread, most likely as post #4.

Princess 5K and Half 2010
Mel
Corinna
Rebecca

San Antonio Rock n Roll 2010
Richard
Jackie
Debra
Mel
John
When is San Antonio
Allie if you can swing it - I'll work on it!! even if it means running another 13.1 miles (I really love San Antonio... )

Richard I think my brother is in Spring TX - but we wont talk about that!! (he may have moved after the last hurricane)

Julie ok, I'm a bit crazy, when I read your favorite race was Disney 2010 and your post race drink was coke - did you combine those 2 and get your frozen coke at the finish line? YIKES... what a race! and I have to add when I came thru the line, they must've put the water away the only liquid (besides the moisture from the sky) was coke -

Rebecca best of luck in your journey to a classroom!!

Jakie Christine I liked Picket Fences too - I read other people's fav TV series and think - I like that too!!

OK - my adopted puppy is driving me crazy - I didnt mention we have 2 guinea pigs, and their Timothy hay gets everywhere - and this dog is eating the Timothy Hay on the stairs! GOLLY he is a vacuum - he licks the floor...

arrrg... I've got to run the vacuum...
Sandy321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 03:14 PM   #35
iheartdolewhips
DIS Veteran

Thank you, Sandy! I'm just applying to everything I qualified for within an hour of my house and hoping it will work out at some point. I know applied for a parapro job a few weeks ago (which I'm overqualified for, but would do it as a stepping stone into a teaching position) and the principal said within 12 hours of posting the job there were over 70 applicants, many of whom were also certified teachers. It's rough, but I'm trying to make the best of it!

Canceled our May trip because I broke my tailbone.

Resorts we have stayed at: Fort Wilderness, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs, Port Orleans Riverside, and Polynesian
I have also stayed at: All Star Music and Pop Century
Favorite Restaurants: Kona Cafe, Yak and Yeti, and T-Rex
iheartdolewhips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 03:38 PM   #36
IMGONNABE40!
Okay, I already am 40, but if I were to change my name, how would you know it was me?
Proud owner of a six foot giraffe
Don't be a Doofus!

I am a bit slow getting back to my workout routine since going Goofy. I am lucky if I am getting 3 in per week. In my mind I seem to have my sights set on Feb 1.... That being said I just did a 50 minute core/strength routine and feel pretty good. I am going to try to get on the TM later. I really need to get something scheduled so I know I am working towards something.

Last year my husband spoiled me and got me all 7 seasons of Homicide for ChristmasI watched them while on the TM. Maybe I will have to hint about the Picket Fences DVDs.

Hope the job search goes well for you, Rebecca!!
Old 01-26-2010, 04:12 PM   #37
FFigawi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartdolewhips View Post
A Dole whip is a non-dairy frozen concoction that's ice cream by my book. The classic flavor is pineapple, but they also have orange and vanilla. You can get any of these two flavors swirled. You can get just the Dole whip or you can get it as a float with pineapple juice. My favorite is the vanilla Dole whip float. You can get them at Aloha Isle in Adventureland and Captain Cook's at the Polynesian. They're very yummy! And if you're on the dining plan, they all count as a snack credit!
Hmmm, sounds tasty. I'll have to grab one when we're there for Goofy again next year. Or maybe out west if I end up going for the Coast to Coast medal this fall.

John
FFigawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:17 PM   #38
FFigawi
DIS Veteran

Sandy, is your puppy a new addition or one that's been around a while? We just brought our new one home yesterday. She's an 8-week old Border Collie named Harlow after the actress. She's a dream so far except for the fact that she HATES her puppy condo and her crate. She'd rather be out where the action is and screams at the top of her little lungs to make sure we know it.

John
FFigawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:27 PM   #39
Worfiedoodles
DIS Veteran

I'd better do this before life gets in the way again...

Name: Maria
Day Job: Grants Professional
Family: DH aka Dennis, DS12 (well, he will be on Friday!), Worf the cat
Favorite race you ever ran: I also don't have many to choose from. I'm going to say Donald 2008, my first Half!
Best recovery food or beverage: Chocolate milk and carrot cake cookies
TV Shows you watch or have loved: 24, Castle, The Biggest Loser, Lost, Grey's Anatomy, Star Trek (most versions), Stargate (all versions), Eureka, Dr. Who, Torchwood, Being Human, General Hospital, Buffy and Angel, Alias, The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, Mythbusters, Dirty Jobs, What Not to Wear (yes, I watch way too much tivo!)
Races Planned this year: Honan 5K, another 5K to be named later, hopefully Beach to Beacon, and possibly DL Half, WDW Half 2011
Meaning of DIS screen name: My name is our nickname for Worf the cat. He is almost 17, so he has had a long and prosperous life.

Last edited by Worfiedoodles; 01-26-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Worfiedoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:41 PM   #40
jbucci
DIS Veteran

Took me most of today to recover from work yesterday, but I made it back to the DIS finally.

Welcome to all the new cousins.

Christine: You will fit in fine without sci-fi as long as you don't laugh too loudly at the rest of us (the occasional snicker is fine).

Richard: add me as a possible for a Princess meet

on to the questions...

name: Jennifer
day job: pediatrician
family: wonderful DH nicknamed Butch(based on our last name, not any real "Butch-like" qualities, DD6, dog named Muppet and kitten named Pixar(we pick her up in 3 days)
location: Southern NJ-- pretty much my whole life except for a brief stint in Hershey, PA where I did my residency training
favorite race: This question is really tough-- Minnie has a special place in my heart as my first "real" race but I really love Tower of Terror 13K, I mean what's not to love about a night race where you get to play Toy Story Mania at the end. Favorite local race is the Philia Distance Run- a 1/2 in Philadelphia-- beautiful, flat course ending at the Art Museum-- cue the Rocky music
best recovery food and/or drink: at home I have what DD has deemed "weird iced tea, Crystal Light blueberry white tea but a diet Coke is a real favorite
TV shows: currently watch most of the Law and Order series, CSI, Psych, Mythbusters, Survivor, Amazing Race, V but always like the classics like Star Trek, also a big Muppet/Jim Henson fan
Planned Races: Princess 1/2; Rutgers/Unite 1/2 in New Brunswick, NJ 4/18; Broad Street Run in Phila, PA 5/2; Disneyland 1/2; PDR in Philia, PA 9/19; Food and Wine 1/2; ?Philadelphia Marathon 1/2 11/21; Goofy.. maybe Dopey 2011
DIS name: no creativity here-- my first initial and the beginning of my last name, started to enter a photo contest for DISunplugged podcast before I even knew about WISH-- who knew the boring name would be used for anything...
Old 01-26-2010, 06:09 PM   #41
tiberius
DIS Veteran

Sandy – San Antonio RnR is November 14th this year, would love to see you there! …and I’ll keep mum about your brother.

Rebecca – Good luck!

John – They ARE tasty! I especially love the float.

Maria – Isn’t the DVR just sooo great for TV watching! I am still keeping the last 3 Doctor Who episodes (TV movies) from the last 2 months.

Jen – I’ll get you in for Princess; will Butch be going, too, or just you?

The more I read everyone’s bio, the more I remember TV series I like (liked), too much couch potato here. Also, I am seeing so many things that I knew, but forgot along the way.

Sometimes you gotta to create what you want to be a part of. -- Allison Maloney (1988 - 2009)
tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:23 PM   #42
deekaypee
Mouseketeer
Ah, life in my Disney daydream is good

Wow, busy, busy, busy!

Just random thoughts:
  • Welcome, cousins!
  • The Borg are the best villains ever--or maybe Q. 'Nuff said. Although I do love me a good toaster or skinjob.
  • So many great TV shows you all listed--Psych, Eureka, Burn Notice, etc! My dad works as an engineer at a TV station, so I have a long television-watching history. I can't believe I forgot to put The Muppets and The Prisoner (original, not the heretical remake) on my list of favorite shows!
  • I also think the DLR half might make a good meet, as many of us are gunning for the Coast to Coast Medal.
  • Older team members? Harumph. Maura called us "seasoned." I call Saffron!
  • In pop culture news, has anyone else seen Avatar? I finally caught up with it last weekend, and thought, "Golden Globe for Best Picture? Really??"

Mel: I had no idea you had so many jobs/careers going on! Must be paying for someone's college, huh? Also a lot of halfs this year....Wowsa!

John: Nope, didn't know your handle, but had heard of Hash House Harriers. Odd, the bits and pieces I retain. I'm not a beer drinker, but if I were I like to think it would be Guinness. DOOD, my DH whom you'll hear of/meet, keeps a beer journal and enjoys one or two post-race.

Maria: I'm with John on DS9. Not my favorite ST, but I certainly enjoyed it. Firefly yes, Buffy no, Angel yes, Dollhouse no! I'm so fickle. Isn't Beach to Beacon one of those races that sells out within hours of opening?? So impressed with your plans--not only for that race but your two-year plan!

Sandy: I rewatched Dune with DOOD (his first time)--hadn't seen it since I was in high school. SOOO sorry that was a date movie. I love the story of your screen name!

Rebecca: Ahhh, Dole Whips. Something I must have at DLR, but not WDW. Churros, too. How very odd of me. Just love that you're new to running and jumping right in, feet first! Like you, I have a background teaching (college) but am embracing the full-time writing gig.

Richard: Yep, I can't imagine anyone having a better time at any race. You were practically skipping through the parks--which would have made such a pretty sight if the weather had been better and those leopard shorts had been fully on display. Oh, and you know the love I feel for the Ender series. Endless. Or endlessly wordy.

Don't get me wrong. Even now, I want to do Goofy. The itch has started as the blisters heal and the memory fades. But every other year is better. It keeps me sane(r).

Jackie: Ah, yes, the Flying Pirate Inaugural. I do want to do that race, but April is not looking pretty. Tobacco is really shaping up to be a WISher event, a good place for a PR. Is DD doing any of these events with you? Not much of a sci-fi fan! Whaaaa???? Oh, that's right, you save all your love for historical fantasy, ala Outlander.

Christine: But how do you feel about NCIS? That's the show, along with Law and Order, that always seems to be on at the gym when it's treadmill time for me. I might need to look into Homicide. I have to say, I'm SO impressed that you're doing those long-walk events!

Julie: Boo on the no Disney in 2011, although I can't imagine how fast you'll be by 2012! And I have to guiltily admit that I've always thought your screen name was laughingplace1999. Apparently, I overlooked it was three numbers. Never hire me as a proofreader, folks!

JenB: Awww, welcome to little Pixar! What a cute name for a cat. Yeah, TOT 13K was a good night event--I miss it. I'm still not sure how I feel about Wine and Dine. Maybe if I were as speedy as you.... Did you see that I hope to do a couple of races in Philly this year? I'm trying to convince DOOD that Philly is a good weekend getaway for a short race and sightseeing, like Broad Street. (He thinks we should just run here, but it's not the same...)

As for me: Was have one of "those days" today, where I just wasn't motivated. Job was frustrated, lots of little side projects, snowy and windy all day. Almost talked myself out of going for a run. But then I figured I had to report in to folks here. So, I did my short little run. 27 degrees + wind chill. And followed up with Pilates. I feel better, as physical activity always makes me feel; now if I could just remember that little life lesson all the time!

In fun news, I'm attending an advance screening of When in Rome tomorrow, Touchstone's newest comedy with Kristen Bell and Josh Duhamel. Not my genre, but I like Bell. Hoping it's worth my time (and words). Will let you know, of course.
... ................
deekaypee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:28 PM   #43
MouseDogMom
DIS Veteran

John - Sienna is over a year old now, and she still has moments when she shrieks loudly in her crate to express her discontent (usually when I try to sneak in the house after work and take a nap without letting her out.) At those times you'd swear she was some other animal - no dog I know is capable of making the noises she makes. Fortunately our other dog isn't nearly as vocal. Sienna was actually hoarse when we picked her up from the kennel after marathon weekend from barking so much while she was there. And personally, I think the Dole Whips are better at DL, but maybe that's just because I had my first one there!

Christine - I'm jealous that you were there long enough for it to warm up. We even skipped dessert at Artist Point and said we were going over to MK for dessert, but I just couldn't do it. Every time we walked by Aloha Isle I slowed down, but then I thought about shivering. And I can eat ice cream year round, but I was just so darned cold all weekend! We ate one Mickey bar, but it was inside The Land where it was warm after riding Soarin'.

Jen - I'm really going to have to move the Philly RNR up in consideration. Everything I hear makes me want to do it. And Philly is drivable. San Antonio... just looked at airfare on SW. Ouch!

Maria
- The DVR is my favorite invention of the 21st century, I think. (or maybe it was actually the 20th. Either way, I can't imagine life without it!)

Sandy - Puppies are so much fun, aren't they? Ours turned a year old in September and October, and they're still wild things. They actually seem a little calmer after the Disney trip, so we're wondering if we need to leave them more often...

Richard - You're going to have to find me cheap transport to SA, I'm afraid. Another tuition bill will come due before that race comes around. I've never been to Texas, but I have a feeling that one Disney trip and one Indy trip this year may be all the budget can afford. A weekend in Philly might be doable, but San Antonio is a completely different ball game.

Jackie

MouseDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:45 PM   #44
MouseDogMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by deekaypee View Post
Jackie: Ah, yes, the Flying Pirate Inaugural. I do want to do that race, but April is not looking pretty. Tobacco is really shaping up to be a WISher event, a good place for a PR. Is DD doing any of these events with you? Not much of a sci-fi fan! Whaaaa???? Oh, that's right, you save all your love for historical fantasy, ala Outlander.
DH is doing Myrtle Beach, Tobacco Road, and Indy, DD is just doing Indy. And yep, the truth is out, I'm not a real sci-fi fan. I watch it when it's on, I just don't turn it on. DH is a HUGE Doctor Who fan (more the original than the new, but he'll watch any of it), but he's a little out of touch with the more recent stuff. His current taste has run more toward Psych and Burn Notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deekaypee View Post
In fun news, I'm attending an advance screening of When in Rome tomorrow, Touchstone's newest comedy with Kristen Bell and Josh Duhamel. Not my genre, but I like Bell. Hoping it's worth my time (and words). Will let you know, of course.
Can't wait to hear your review. This one IS my genre, and is on my "to see" list. DH and I have recently become movie-goers, much to DD's dismay. She can't fathom how mom & dad can have a life without her. And we go to movies without her!

MouseDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:02 PM   #45
jbucci
DIS Veteran

Richard: Butch will be at Princess weekend as will DD but he won't be running. He will be doing the Gasparilla full the week before in Tampa. Interestingly enough it is pirate themed, so it sort of fits for him to do the pirate and me the princess-- he will likely be wearing his medal around the Disney parks-- where else could you get away with wearing your medal all week?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: