Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 06:44 AM   #1816
FFigawi
DIS Veteran

Hi guys! I'm in the airport waiting to fly home to Doha and wanted to pop in briefly for a shameless brag. I had a great time at the Dublin marathon last week and finally broke the 4-hour mark, finishing in 3:53!! I'll have a full trip and race report done soon, but let me at least say that it's a great race in a great city with lots of post-race celebration options. We bought some amazing peated Irish whiskey that will be on hand for tasting in Jan.

John
FFigawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #1817
laughinplace199
AKA Shrimpo or Flamingo Legs

John, congrats on your great time!

Looking forward to your race report. I also had to chuckle when you commented on facebook that your post-race celebration bar had the restrooms upstairs. That must have been interesting.

laughinplace199 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #1818
tiberius
DIS Veteran

Congrats on breaking 4 hours, John! That's a great milestone time. :-)

AFM - Each day seems a bit better. I really dislike how I can feel Vicodin affecting my mind, though it helps the pain a lot. I am hoping to transition off of this drug in favor of Tylenol soon, at least during working hours during the next week.

Happy Election Day (and a very happy post-Election Day tomorrow)!!!!!

Sometimes you gotta to create what you want to be a part of. -- Allison Maloney (1988 - 2009)
tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:59 AM   #1819
FFigawi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughinplace199 View Post
Looking forward to your race report. I also had to chuckle when you commented on facebook that your post-race celebration bar had the restrooms upstairs. That must have been interesting.
Yeah, that wasn't so much fun for any of the four of us that ran. I was much more stiff and sore on Tuesday than I was after the race on Monday. I think it's because I didn't get my usual ice bath in. The hotel room, in common European fashion, didn't have a tub. The fact that I raced for a change instead of just ran might have had something to do with it too.

John
Old 11-07-2012, 05:14 AM   #1820
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

congrats John!
Old 11-17-2012, 06:24 AM   #1821
FFigawi
DIS Veteran

So how is everyone? People have been awfully quiet on here recently. I hope you're all doing well and getting ready for a nice holiday week with your friends and family.

For anyone who is interested, here's a race report on Dublin. It's a great race and one highly recommended for those looking to race overseas.

See you all at WDW!

John
Old 12-04-2012, 12:24 PM   #1822
laughinplace199
AKA Shrimpo or Flamingo Legs

Hello cousins,

It sure is very quiet around here (insert crickets chirping).

John, congrats again on your great race in Dublin.

Richard, how are you doing? I hope your recovery is going well.

Who is going to be racing at WDW in January and where are you staying?

My husband Rob & I will be arriving 1/11 and leaving 1/14. We're staying at the Boardwalk. We're doing the full and I'm looking forward to a post-race stroll through Epcot, preferably after stopping in England for a pint or two.

laughinplace199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:17 PM   #1823
FFigawi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Who is going to be racing at WDW in January and where are you staying?
We're staying at Boardwalk (I think), arriving on Thursday and leaving on Tuesday. I'm looking forward to a fun weekend in the middle of the doctor, dentist, and other appointments we have while we're in the States.

John
Old 12-05-2012, 05:54 AM   #1824
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

We are at BW too and both running the full. Arriving late Wed and going home Tuesday.

Is there a bus from the finish back to BW or do most people walk? I couldn't remember from when we did princess 2 years ago if we walked or took a bus. In theory it's a "short" walk, but I was so miserable after the 20 miles mike and I ran this weekend that I think if I feel like that after the race he will have to get a wheelchair and push me back.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:53 AM   #1825
FFigawi
DIS Veteran

No idea if there's a bus or not. We've never stayed there before. We usually go to CBR, but this year, we're staying with a friend who is using DVC points. I assume there's a bus, though, since there's one to nearly all the other resorts.

John
Old 12-08-2012, 07:19 AM   #1826
jeanneg
I swam with a dolphin!

There is a bus to all the Epcot hotels as the finish area is quite far away from the park itself. There is also a bus to the monorail hotels. The first few times I did these events I remember trudging my way up the monorail ramp with very tired legs. The bus is so much kinder.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:52 PM   #1827
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the info about the buses! I wouldn't want to walk up that monorail ramp either.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:55 PM   #1828
tiberius
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Richard, how are you doing? I hope your recovery is going well.
Thank you for asking! To me, this seems a long, slow process. However, every medical professional tells me how lucky I am to be recovering so quickly. That kind of talk kind of makes it hard to feel sorry for yourself for too long. I have started to see a physical therapist and and working on mobility of my shoulder for the most part. I have been cleared to resume light exercise as long as I hold back from activity that is painful. I have done an indoor cycle workout for almost 30 minutes, ran 1.75 miles which wiped me out and swam 100 yards of breast stroke over the last several days as a start.

At last year's races we stayed at the Dolphin. I walked back after the half and bussed back after the full.

I got a super good email to share with my cousins today! It started out "Congratulations Richard Tramm. You have qualified for the Olympic-Distance race at the 2013 USA Triathlon Age Group National Championships on August 10 in Milwaukee, Wis., after finishing in the top 10 percent in your age group at the 2012 Clear Lake International Triathlon." All I can say is WOW!!!!! I had no idea it was a qualifying race. I may be injured but it still makes for a great end to my training year.

Sometimes you gotta to create what you want to be a part of. -- Allison Maloney (1988 - 2009)

Last edited by tiberius; 12-13-2012 at 05:02 PM.
tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:54 PM   #1829
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

Wow Richard!! That is really cool!!
Old 12-12-2012, 10:04 PM   #1830
FFigawi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberius View Post
I got a super good email to share with my cousin today! It started out "Congratulations Richard Tramm. You have qualified for the Olympic-Distance race at the 2013 USA Triathlon Age Group National Championships on August 10 in Milwaukee, Wis., after finishing in the top 10 percent in your age group at the 2012 Clear Lake International Triathlon."
Congrats Richard! That's a great accomplishment!

John

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: