Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2010, 08:51 AM   #136
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39 View Post
That's how it feels to me.
I'm surprised that WDW didn't do that same feel, or I guess they tried but it wasn't as successful. In any event, I liked it

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofySon'sMom View Post
No corn dog nuggets! That is a WDW tradition for us! Guess we'll have to make a DL tradition out of something else!

I cannot wait to try Ralph Brennans ... especially that dessert! Oh my, it looks delish!

I am nervous about the Castle, too. Definitely going to focus on the "pretty" rather than the size. Pics of DL Main Street look strange to me so I am sure the real thing will be a shock.

Great start! Cannot wait for me ... totally getting me even more psyched for our trip!
Churro carts were everywhere. They always had a line too! My boyfriend finally broke down and got one. So maybe that can replace the corn dog nuggets??

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwgirl03 View Post
Woo hoo, you made it into Disneyland! Being WDW vets before our trip to DL we were also surprised at the castle size. But it still is cool.

That wishing well is really neat! I don't think we saw that when we went.
It's directly to the right of the Castle. There's an actual well in the path and when she sings, there's an echo in the well. Definitely worth checking out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicalfoursome View Post

I am so enjoying your TR!! I am also a WDW vet who is visiting DL for the 1st time this July! Wow-- your pic of Main Street with the castle just looks so odd!! The Castle is so pretty but so different from the one in WDW. I keep telling myself it will be a lot smaller but I still think I will be surprised when I see it. I am looking forward to more reports-- I am so excited for my trip to DL!!
It's hard to prepare yourself. It's one of those things where you know it will be smaller, but when you're so used to seeing the larger one in the MK, it's a little weird more than anything.
onelilspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:21 AM   #137
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

Starting the comparisons!

We meandered into Fantasyland (of course going right through the Castle! Just like the opening day of DL...yeah, I'm a dork.) Our first ride was...drum roll please......

Pinocchio! It's pretty much the first ride we came to, it had a short wait and it can't be found at WDW. And we have a winner! I like the dark rides like this, I enjoy looking at the art of Disney, enjoying the story, etc. My boyfriend got a little tired of rides like this by the end of our trip. It was cute, told the story of Pinnochio, but I know I would have been terrified of it when I was little!

We then found ourselves heading in the direction of New Orleans Square, and voila! There was Pirates of the Caribbean! Score!

We really had fun going through an comparing the DLR version to the WDW version whenever possible. Here was our first comparison...and the better version? DLR! It was a much longer ride and I liked going through the Bayou in New Orleans (past the Blue Bayou restaurant) before going into the Pirate story. It made more sense to me.

Next up was my favorite ride at WDW, Haunted Mansion:

...and this showdown goes to WDW. I liked the exterior of the one in DLR better, but there were a few scenes missing inside, which of course I noticed I didn't like that the little Leota (the one that says, "Hurry baaaaack, hurry baaaaack, and don't forget your death certificate.") wasn't part of the ride itself, she was on the exit. (for those of you keeping track, DLR: 1, WDW: 1)

We did a little more wandering and found ourselves in Critter Country, time for Winnie the Pooh!

Again, here's another ride that can be found in both parks. To be honest, I'm not sure which I prefer...I like the ride vehicles at DLR, but I think the bouncing effect is better at WDW. I'll call it a draw. And other than that? Pretty much the same ride.

Our last ride of the evening was the Jungle Cruise. I like doing the Jungle Cruise at night, but it means no pictures! We had a decent skipper, but I think he thought he was funnier than we did. I think it's a little hard to compare this one because they're very similar and your opinion can be influenced so much by the skipper! ...For example, after riding it the first time, I would have given my comparison vote to WDW, but we rode it a second time on the last day and he was much better, giving it to DLR. Again, another draw.

On our way out we stopped at Blue Ribbon Bakery for a bit of a snack.

...and then promptly got stuck because of the Celebrate! Street Parade. This is when I really noticed how narrow the streets were at DLR. It made it much more difficult to get through. But we were in no rush, so it didn't bother us to much. Side note: people were getting really feisty. I don't understand it, it's not like the person in front of you is going anywhere any faster than you! After the parade let up, we got going pretty easily...and made a mental note to avoid leaving during a parade

We made it back to the hotel and pretty much crashed (I don't even think we touched the cookie!!)
onelilspark is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-25-2010, 10:10 AM   #138
New England Eeyore
Bradley Whitford and Rob Lowe are my boyfriends!
You try being a country music fan in Boston - it just ain't done!
M&M Artist Extraodinaire

Loving your report so far!

We're flying into Long Beach too, so thanks for the heads up about the steps. It would stink if it was raining, but I bet it's pretty neat to step off the plane and immediately be greeted by that beautiful Southern California weather!

Ralph Brennan's looks awesome - it's definitely on my "must" list. Especially those crawfish mashed potatoes, and dessert!
Old 03-25-2010, 03:17 PM   #139
DisneyMomma81
DIS Veteran

I'm patiently waiting for more..........
DisneyMomma81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:07 PM   #140
wdwgirl03
I'm just a big Disney Freak! :-)
I will throw a party the day I get a tag!!!
I am pretty wimpy when it comes to thrill rides

I love your comparisons between WDW and DL. Definitely agree about DL's Pirates being better. I can't make the comparison between the HMs since the 2 times I've been there it's been the Nightmare before Christmas version.
'91-Disney villas '93, '95, '97, '99, '01, '02-Polynesian '03-All Star Sports '05-All Star Movies; offsite- Universal/Disney Oct. '06, Dec. '07/Jan. '08-Saratoga Springs May '08-Animal Kingdom Lodge Dec. '08-Beach Club Villas Aug. '09-Villas @ the Wilderness Lodge April '10-Kidani Village Aug. '10-Saratoga Springs Mar. '11-Old Key West Oct. '11-Saratoga Springs April '12-Boardwalk Villas April '13-Bay Lake Tower Aug. '13-Pop Century Dec. '13-Saratoga Springs April '14-Pop Century UPCOMING TRIP: Dec. '14-DISNEYLAND!!!
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Check out my past TRs: Mar./April '11 Oct. '11 CURRENT TR: APRIL '13 TR APRIL '13 PTR facebook Twitter/Instagram:mugirl0307
wdwgirl03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:53 PM   #141
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

I'm loving all your pictures! My son still talks about that huge Mickey Cookie he had from Blue Ribbon Bakery.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2342117
deejdigsdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:35 PM   #142
that's nice
DDC #330

Maybe the entire internet is slowing down because of this thread

Great updates!!!!!

Your BFs dinner looks awesome! I wish I could eat some of that right now... And it is 12:30 here. And that dessert... MMMMMMMMMMMM.

Love your pics and descriptions!

Main St. looks so weird without a castle.. well I mean one that is visible! LOL

ANOTHER SWEET????? You guys are nuts!!!!
that's nice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:14 AM   #143
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

Love the comparisons! DS is now bummed about the corn dogs and Little Leota! Seriously we are soooooooooo looking forward to being about to make our own comparisons!

Anxiously waiting for more!

Mom & Son - The Last Time? August 2013 ~ Mom & Son Take on Spring Break - March 2013
Mom & Son Head to Food & Wine - November 2012 ~ Mom & Son - One More Time with Dad! August 23rd - Sept 3rd 2012
Mom and Son Take on the Land! - July 2010 Trip Report
- Mom and Son Going Back -Another 10 days of Deluxe Dining 8/25 - 9/5/2011
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013
GoofySon'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:07 AM   #144
haley's mom
DIS Veteran

I am so glad I found this thread. I too am WDW vet going to DL for our first trip inOctober. Keep the report coming
haley's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:58 AM   #145
BippityBoo
DIS Veteran

OK---2 Posts to comment on...yay

Thank you so much for the shout out I am so happy that you got a cozy seat outside and you were able to feel like you were in New Orleans! (even if your only reference was Port Orleans ) Your food looked good...ESPECIALLY your dessert. To-die-for!!! Fantastic. I really hope that you can make it to New Orleans one day. As a lover of food, it is simply a must do vacation. I think you would love it!

When I read that you forgot your tickets, I got sooo nervous for you I am SO happy they were able to issue you some. Very cool that you got the buttons!

I am so interested in seeing DL. I have heard some comparisons, but with pictures, I can totally tell the difference!! A "Main Street" with no castle in the background!? It just felt strange even seeing a pic of it!! It was soooo tiny! Crazy.

I would love to know what was inside the Pinocchio ride. Did the whale chase you? I have always been scared of whales because of that movie The Haunted Mansion was beautiful outside. I would LOVE to go on a longer pirates that wondered through New Orleans...how awesome

I LOVE your updates...keep them coming
BippityBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:56 PM   #146
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Interesting comparisons. I like WDW's Pooh ride better, but I like our little Leota at the end...it's nice that after you've "finished" the ride you get one more little bonus. I guess when it's what you're used to, you like it more.

I'll be interested to hear what you have to say about Soarin'. I love ours so much more, I finally went on WDW's in January and besides a boring queue, I had other "issues" with the finish of the ride. Nothing to do with Disney, just myself and my own problems!
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:00 PM   #147
Bdchili
Earning My Ears

Another WDW vet just getting back from DLR

[SIZE="4"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="black"]WOW, what a trip. I am glad you guys enjoyed it. Well so did we. Loved DLR! I gotta say the Magic Kingdom clearly had a feel of, "This is Walts' place" at least to me. Little details like the bench that he sat on when he first thought up the idea of a park where Dads with three kids, like myself can enjoy themselves as well, to Orleans Square. I really enjoyed the quaintness. Yes the park is much smaller in places, but it had this feel of, "it's just big enough".
I don't know that any direct comparison between DLR and WDW is truly fair to either resort. In my opinion, DLR is about the Parks and the idea. WDW is about the Disney experience, which includes the Parks. WDW is still my home because that is what I know best and I love the feeling of truly being able to forget you live in a world of multiple things to raise ones blood pressure, by simply turning off of I4 and driving miles form all of it.
To all the DLR vets, you guys have something great and it is the origin of something that has changed the way families spend time together. So Kudos, to DLR for making our trip incredible! BTW, if I ever get enough posts and figure out how to post photos, I have a few myself. We stayed at the GCR and WOW, out view was fantastic.
Bdchili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:05 PM   #148
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdchili View Post
[SIZE="4"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="black"]WOW, what a trip. I am glad you guys enjoyed it. Well so did we. Loved DLR! I gotta say the Magic Kingdom clearly had a feel of, "This is Walts' place" at least to me. Little details like the bench that he sat on when he first thought up the idea of a park where Dads with three kids, like myself can enjoy themselves as well, to Orleans Square. I really enjoyed the quaintness. Yes the park is much smaller in places, but it had this feel of, "it's just big enough".
I don't know that any direct comparison between DLR and WDW is truly fair to either resort. In my opinion, DLR is about the Parks and the idea. WDW is about the Disney experience, which includes the Parks. WDW is still my home because that is what I know best and I love the feeling of truly being able to forget you live in a world of multiple things to raise ones blood pressure, by simply turning off of I4 and driving miles form all of it.
To all the DLR vets, you guys have something great and it is the origin of something that has changed the way families spend time together. So Kudos, to DLR for making our trip incredible! BTW, if I ever get enough posts and figure out how to post photos, I have a few myself. We stayed at the GCR and WOW, out view was fantastic.
Well you need to start visiting threads and build up those posts. Why not do a trip report that is a great way to do it and then you can posts pictures that I know I for one love to see.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:15 PM   #149
Bdchili
Earning My Ears

Oh the pressure! I will need to get my sea legs a bit on the BOARD, but I gotta say, the postings here are absolutely invaluable, when visiting a new resort. On a side note, I am a DVC member at BLT and we stayed at GCH, but not in the Villas. Our rooms were on the 5th floor (5341 & 5343), incredible view and accessibility. We were 30 ft from an elevator and once on the ground floor another 30 ft to the entrance to DCA! Walking past Cali Soar'n every morning and grabbing a fast pass was AWESOME!
Bdchili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:15 PM   #150
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdchili View Post
[SIZE="4"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="black"]
if I ever get enough posts and figure out how to post photos, I have a few myself. We stayed at the GCR and WOW, out view was fantastic.
I know you can post links after 10 posts, photos might be the same. Start a trip report, and to the first one in just text and see if you can post your photos after the first post. I would love to see photos, I have three weeks until F&W starts and I get to stay at the VGC. Seeing your TR would help the time pass more quickly!
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: