Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2010, 11:30 AM   #1
PiperGirlInWondrland
DIS Veteran

My Disney Diet up in smoke! .....Updated with Ohana!

Have you ever wondered how you can blow monthes of dieting and many nights at the gym in a matter of days? Luckily, I am here for you with the answers you've always wanted!

Hope you can jump aboard for some Disney dining adventures! This trip we were traveling with our bil and sil, and their 2 daughters. Combined with our 3 kids we had a total of 9 in our party this trip. Good times!

First up - Grabbing our Resort Mugs and KONA lunch.

We checked into the Polynesian and got settled in. We had lunch planned at Kona but it wasn't time for our ADR yet, so we decided to grab our refillable mugs (included on the dlx dining) and relax by the pool. Luckily we were able to score a nice shaded table by the pool as it was blazing hot. (which I love).

We popped into Capt. Cooks and used our 5 mug credits for our mugs, and purchased a soy milk for my son.

If we would have had to pay for this OOP it would have cost us $71.30 Looking back, we could have used a snack credit for the soy milk, but as it was we charged $2.12 to the room. Somehow pre-paying for the dining plan always makes it seem like these were "free" once you get there! My bil and sil had never been on the dining plan before. I booked everything for them as well, so I momentarily revelled in my extreme brilliance as they enjoyed their mugs.

So you may be wondering who we are. Here's a shot I took of everyone relaxing at the table. From left to right, My bil Rob, my sil Kirsty, and see the stroller? That's my neice Lily(1) Wow, what a great group shot this is turning out to be! Note to self.....next trip make sure group shots include people's faces!

In the green tie dyed shirt is my dd Piper(6), then my dd Zoe(8) and pretty much hidden behind her is my neice Caitlin(4)! That's my DS Zach walking in the pic. Finally you have my DH Andy in the blue tee and totally in the poly spirit with his lei on. Now let me just stop here to say that these are the itchiest, most annoying things ever, especially when it's oh, I don't know, about a million degrees out....but of course everyone loved them!

Zach must have been assigned "mug guarding duty" while everyone else explored the pool area. Doesn't he look delighted? This could have nothing to do with my incessant photo taking!

And finally, my bil's impression of the refillable mugs. I would like to say that along with the usual sodas Capt Cooks had a really delish Pomegranate Lemonade that we all gave the thumbs up!

Next post.....Kona!

Last edited by PiperGirlInWondrland; 01-11-2010 at 11:03 PM.
PiperGirlInWondrland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:09 PM   #2
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Good start! I can't wait to hear what you thought of the Kona Cafe, I really love that restaurant.
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2010, 12:53 PM   #3
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

I am in!
Aug 22 Fantasy/Western Aug 29 Fantasy/Eastern
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

dizneeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:56 PM   #4
danalee
You wouldnt understand, its a New Kids thing!

Me Too!
1998 Sept ~POFQ (honeymoon)
2005 Aug ~All Star Movie Son's first trip! B-day Surprise!
2006 Sept ~PoP w/ free dining (& 8th wedding anniversery)
2008 Aug ~All Star Sports Son's B-Day
2010 Sept ~POFQ Friends, Family & Anniversary Trip!
2012 Sept ~POFQ w/ BFF & Family~
danalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:00 PM   #5
Mich123
Mouseketeer

Subscribing! Can't wait to read you next posts!
2014 Port Orleans Riverside and Beach Club/2013 Back to Disneyland Grand Californian/2012 Polynesian/2011 Our Second Disney Cruise - Mexican Riviera/2010 Our First Disney Cruise and Disney's Vero Beach...and Our First trip to Disneyland! Grand Californian/2009 Polynesian and Port Orleans Riverside/2008 Disney's Vero Beach/2007 Port Orleans Riverside/2006 Coronado Springs

Mich123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:35 PM   #6
PiperGirlInWondrland
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Good start! I can't wait to hear what you thought of the Kona Cafe, I really love that restaurant.
Hooray, my first reader, thanks for jumping aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
I am in!
Thanks for joining in, hope you enjoy the ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danalee View Post
Me Too!
Hi! Thanks for joining in! I noticed you are from Pittsburgh, my DH is obsessed with the Steelers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich123 View Post
Subscribing! Can't wait to read you next posts!
Thanks for subbing, Kona coming up now!
Old 01-10-2010, 02:19 PM   #7
PiperGirlInWondrland
DIS Veteran

First things first, I noticed I forgot to tell you my name! Hi, I'm Kristen and I am a Disney dining addict

I had reserved the earliest lunch seating for two reasons. First being we had left NY at some ridiculous hour like 4am to fly to Orlando and so we were starving. Secondly, we planned on relaxing at the resort today, and then having dinner at Ohana's so I wanted to be hungry for that! The idea that we could be hungry again in a few hours after you see the amount of food we have coming up probably seems impossible, but don't worry my DH and BIL joked that they stretched their stomaches before we went on the trip so they could eat everything in sight!

We were quickly seated at a big table, and I was really looking forward to this meal as it had been years since I had eaten there.

Our waitress came around and got our drink and appetizer order. Everything took forever to come, which was pretty much the only thing we didn't enjoy about Kona's.

My DS and I both ordered the Shrimp and Coconut Curry Soup. $6.99. My DS didn't like it but I would definitely order it again. It was probably too creamy for him, he doesn't like a lot of creamy sauces, etc. I of course consider sauces like ranch, alfredo, etc a food group in itself!

My SIL ordered the Kona Salad. Mixed Greens, Blue Cheese, fresh Fruit,
Red Onions, and Smoked Almonds with Citrus Vinaigrette $7.99. She really enjoyed this, and from the looks of things so did Lily! See, she really does have a face!

Zoe ordered the kids chicken noodle soup, and Piper ordered the fruit cup. My neice Caitlin eats like 3 foods total so she skipped the appetizers. Both of these were good, basic starters.

Lastly DH and BIL ordered the sticky wings. Glazed Chicken Wings with tangy Mustard Drizzle and Toasted Sesame Seeds $12.99. These are not included on the Deluxe Dining Plan, however our waitress did not tell them that until the bill came. I didn't think they were, but she didn't mention it when they ordered so they went with it and we ended up paying OOP for them. These of course were DELISH!
Old 01-10-2010, 03:29 PM   #8
danalee
You wouldnt understand, its a New Kids thing!

Hi! Thanks for joining in! I noticed you are from Pittsburgh, my DH is obsessed with the Steelers!

SWEET!! Tell him I said of course today we are in a deep Steeler No Play-Off Depression
1998 Sept ~POFQ (honeymoon)
2005 Aug ~All Star Movie Son's first trip! B-day Surprise!
2006 Sept ~PoP w/ free dining (& 8th wedding anniversery)
2008 Aug ~All Star Sports Son's B-Day
2010 Sept ~POFQ Friends, Family & Anniversary Trip!
2012 Sept ~POFQ w/ BFF & Family~
danalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:36 PM   #9
binkytell
DIS Veteran

looking forward to hearing more
Old 01-10-2010, 03:43 PM   #10
PiperGirlInWondrland
DIS Veteran

Next up the main course....we had a loooonnnng wait for these but everything was very good. At this point though it was taking so long (and our waitress would disappear for long periods of time) I was wishing we were hanging by the pool with a counter service meal. Once the food came though, all was well.

Zoe had one of the kid's "complete meals" with grilled chicken breast, pasta in sauce, fruit and veggies. She was happy with her choice.

Piper eats NO meat other than chicken, so she chose the Mickey shaped cheese ravioli plain with only parmesian cheese. She absolutely LOVED this.

My ever adventerous niece Caitlin went for one of her 3 foods she eats....french fries. I just noticed she also ordered a hot dog roll minus the hot dog. Must have been good!

Now, on to the big kids!

I am going to start off with this little piece of heaven Oh my goodness, I spent the rest of the meal envying my BIL for the Island Chicken Sandwich - Grilled Chicken Breast with Bacon, Swiss Cheese, Curry-Mango Mayonnaise, and Fried Onions on a Kaiser Roll served with Asian Vegetable Slaw or House-made Potato Chips. $13.49

I believe I will have to go back to Kona just to order that sandwhich. Needless to say, he loved it! I'm surprised I controlled myself and didn't snatch it off his plate.

Go ahead....sink your teeth into this beauty

Zach and Kirsty both ordered the Miso-glazed Mahi Mahi served with Asian Noodles and Baby Bok Choy $18.99. You can see in the pics the drinks went unrefilled and the apps were never cleared away. Again, the less than perfect service was our only complaint. We are very patient so we didn't let it bother us.

Lily ate the majority of Kirsty's Mahi Mahi! That little angel couldn't get enough
I don't know what Kirsty was doing in this pic but I have a feeling she would kill me for this pic

My DH Andy went for the Polynesian Plate Lunch – Pan-fried Chicken with Coconut and Mango Sauces served with Sticky Rice and Macaroni Salad $14.99. He really liked this and RAVED about the macaroni salad, declaring it the best he had ever had

Somehow in all this, I managed to forget to take a pic of my meal! I had the Stir-fried Asian Noodles with Peanuts, seasonal Vegetables, and Soy-Peanut Sauce $15.99. This was good, but it was NO Island Chicken Sandwich. Yummo!

Deserts are up next!
Old 01-10-2010, 03:54 PM   #11
PiperGirlInWondrland
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by danalee View Post

SWEET!! Tell him I said of course today we are in a deep Steeler No Play-Off Depression
Same thing here for sure!
Old 01-10-2010, 04:01 PM   #12
PiperGirlInWondrland
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
I am in!
Dizneeat I forgot to mention that I spent a great deal of time drooling over your dining report, sooooo jealous of your many trips to Wolfgang Puck Express. I absolutely looooove that place and we never made it there this trip
Old 01-10-2010, 04:13 PM   #13
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperGirlInWondrland View Post
Dizneeat I forgot to mention that I spent a great deal of time drooling over your dining report, sooooo jealous of your many trips to Wolfgang Puck Express. I absolutely looooove that place and we never made it there this trip
Just another reason to go back to WDW! .......... yeah, right, as if we NEED a reason!
Aug 22 Fantasy/Western Aug 29 Fantasy/Eastern
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

dizneeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 05:11 PM   #14
PiperGirlInWondrland
DIS Veteran

So while we were waiting for desert, we entertained ourselves with a few photos....Kirsty and Lily walking around....

Piper doing the desert happy dance with Andy looking like a bundle of joy in the background!

Zoe with Andy and another view of his 'my wife won't put the camera down' smile

At this point in our meal it had been so long that Zach headed back to the room to get changed and head over to the gym at the GF, and Kirsty took Lily to the room for a nap.

But don't worry, us die-hards figured SOMEONE had to stay for desert for the sake of the disboarders and the dining report if nothing else. So the rest of us took one for the team and here ya go!

I was full by now so I let Piper choose my desert so we could share it.

We ordered the cutest desert EVER. The Kona Cone!

Andy and Zoe shared a Kilauea Torte. The menu describes it as an Explosion of warm liquid chocoldate inside chocolate cookie volcano $5.49.

Consider that one for a moment. An EXPLOSION of chocolate. O M G. I am in heaven just thinking about that little torte right now, as I snuck a bite. It was delicious!

Rob ordered the torte as well, and Caitlin ordered the kids make your own sundae.

So, for the five of us, the total bill was $155.03. We used 5 dlx dining credits and charged the tip and sticky wings to the room. Overall, the food was really good, but the service was so slow that we were there for over 2 hours. I would return but next time I think we'll try breakfast as I am dying for the Tonga Toast!

Stay tuned for dinner at Ohana's. Shockingly we managed to find room to fit another meal in for the day!
Old 01-11-2010, 07:47 AM   #15
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Fantastic reviews and your photos are great
sooooo looking forward to hearing more
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: