Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES! > disABILITIES Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #16
peemagg
We are doing the AKL tri-fecta
You will find us wrapped up in them at night and on the weekends

I developed toe walking after a surgery that caused some nerve damage. Have they done a nerve conductivity study? The nerve damage has also caused the feet to turn inward and the toes to drag (quite a site, toe walking with dragging toes while turned in). I now have braces from hips to toes to correct this. They work fine when wearing them, but the nerve damage also makes wearing shoes and socks and the braces difficult to wear for long periods of time.
peemagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:36 PM   #17
CanadienneDisneyfan
Earning My Ears

No. I am pretty sure nothing has ever been tested in the past. He has always toe-walked, and I don't believe anyone ever noticed or thought it was an issue (he has so many that they may have let this one slip). I'm concerned that he's not going to be able to continue walking this way now that he is older, taller, heavier, and having to get into the workforce. Now that he's in a work experience position in a store 3 days a week, for 4 hours on each day, he's complaining about his knees cracking, a sore lower back, and sore legs.
CanadienneDisneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2013, 09:47 AM   #18
Disfanx4
Mouseketeer

I don't know if your son may be to old to try this, but when my daughter was younger and was toe walking we used a sock like device with a squeaker in the heel (sorry. Can't remember the name) we told her that every step she took should squeak it became a game of sorts. Daughter has ASD/SPD she loved the squeaky noice and over time it seemed to work, she rarely walks on her toes now. With the physio and the squeakers we were lucky she didn't need any surg or injections. Her O.T. Who she works with now for her SPD has noticed the her calf muscles and hamstrings are still quite tight but we are working on those.
Disfanx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:49 PM   #19
CanadienneDisneyfan
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the idea. I'm not sure he'd appreciate a squeaking shoe, but I will see about putting the idea in his head. Maybe, with a custom orthodic, and some good shoes, he could learn to take a normal stride from heel to toe. He's willing to try, but he will need time and help.
CanadienneDisneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: