Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2010, 07:33 AM   #1
windwalker
I need an Adventure

Clip your toe nails today.

Those of you who are racing:

This is your Panda wisdom for today. Clip your toe nails today. If you wait you will forget or leave your clippers at home. It is often the reason you have sore toe tips at the end of a long race, just that little bit of extra length makes a difference hitting the front of your shoe toe box.

Another reason is that you might accidently clip your toe and a couple of days for it to heal will make you much more comfortable than having to endure a sore toe for 7 cold hours as well as the waiting time. The cold standing around would be worse with a sore toe.

It's also a good day to ensure you packed the body glide and the diaper rash cream for the chaffing you might have anyway. Especially if you are doing the goofy you will need to address any chaffing issues from the half. The fastest cure known to man or beast is the diaper rash stuff.

Last of all remember to bring a small bag in your race gear, you can use it when you go through the food line to put your drinks and munches in so your not wobbling around with your arms full of stuff.

Thanks for reading.

Rambling Panda

http://pandaendurance.blogspot.com/

National Senior Olympics June 07
Ranked 9th in 1500m, 8th in 5K

Next Goofy 2012, Second trip to the National Senior Olympics July 2013
windwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:44 AM   #2
liznboys
I wish upon stars!
I met the Tag Fairy in VMK!

I took care of my toes yesterday.

Thanks for the reminder to have a bag to carry post race stuff!!
liznboys is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-06-2010, 07:46 AM   #3
windwalker
I need an Adventure

Just more gee whiz information, it will be below freezing out and the water we drink will be cold at the water stops. Make a good effort NOT TO SPILL ANY ON YOU!!!! Being wet and cold is much worse, the water will take away the insulating effect of your tech gear.

Dave

Old 01-06-2010, 09:10 AM   #4
FFigawi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by windwalker View Post
Just more gee whiz information, it will be below freezing out and the water we drink will be cold at the water stops. Make a good effort NOT TO SPILL ANY ON YOU!!!! Being wet and cold is much worse, the water will take away the insulating effect of your tech gear.

Dave
One bit of advice to add to Dave's excellent reminder: when drinking from the paper cups, if you fold/crease them almost in half, you end up drinking out of a small pointed opening and not the full opening of the cup. This helps get more in your mouth and less on your face and chest. Small sips help too.

John
FFigawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:50 AM   #5
syko
DIS Veteran

Thanks Panda I just told my Dh to cut his nails......at least I don't need to.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:32 AM   #6
Suzy Mouse
DIS Veteran
Changed the tape just in time!
Don't set a Krispy Kreme down and forget about it

did this a couple of days ago. Good thing as I took too much off my big toe! It's grown back a bit and it's good to go!

Suzanne

Suzy Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:40 AM   #7
TnTsParty
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by windwalker View Post

Dave
Along this same line - make sure any water/gatorade you may take with you has the lid screwed on properly and tightly. Made the mistake last year at the marathon and wondered why my back was all wet about the time I was getting to Ticket and Transportation - so yeah only about 8 miles in I realize my lid to my RED gatorade in the bottle that I keep in my belt pack was not screwed on properly meaning it spilled all down my back - at least I was wearing black capri running pants - although it did stain my undie (TMI I know) Just wouldn't want this to happen to anyone this year - because besides being messy its going to be awfully chilly this year if your all wet.
Disney Races ~ TOT 13k 2007~1:36:12 ~ Minnie 15k 2008~1:49:39 ~ EEC w/DH ~ Disney 26.2 Marathon 2009~5:44:28 ~ Princess 1/2 Marathon ~2:32:15 ~ 2010 Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge~1/2 Marathon 2:54:27~Full Marathon 6:02:48 ~ 2011 Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge #2 ~1/2 Marathon 2:44:18~Full Marathon 5:46:54

Missing my BEST Brother in Law ~ Erik 04/30/1971~04/30/2009 ~ you're in our thoughts EVERYDAY
TnTsParty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:15 PM   #8
windwalker
I need an Adventure

Thanks for the help with more remiders guys, this is just what first timers need to hear and a good reminder for the seasoned road warriors also.

Dave

Old 01-06-2010, 07:47 PM   #9
ms.mightyduck
DIS Veteran

Dave, I clipped my nails yesterday and was thinking, "Dave is going to tell me to do this tomorrow. Is today too earlier? Should I wait?"

You make a difference for me every day, Dave, and I want to say thank you for sharing so much with us. :-)

Next trip to the World: August 2011
ms.mightyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:27 PM   #10
Kira G.
DIS Veteran

And another person thanking you for the bag suggestion! I never thought to do that, and figured I just needed to add juggling to my list of skills needed for a marathon!!! Such an easy fix.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:17 AM   #11
windwalker
I need an Adventure

Today is expo day so we all have a chance to fill the holes in our cold weather gear. I'm picking up one of those heavy plastic ponchos they sell here at the shops for Saturday.

The bag has another use also, as you peel off layers if it's not a throw off item, you can put in in the bag and tie it to your fammy pack if you use one.

I use a little Nathan pack that is made od the same material as a diving wet suit so it keeps water off the camera and phone that rides in there.

Dave

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: