DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2010, 03:36 AM   #1
amystevekai&bump
DIS Veteran

Walking a reservation

Hi, I just wondered if I could just check something with you please??

I am considering doing this today, mainly because I am working all day on Monday when my 'real' 11 month window opens and I will be absolutely gutted if I couldn't get exactly what I want this holiday.

Normally I wouldn't consider it and would be happy with whatever, but I have built up our first (and probably one and only) christmas trip up so much in my head (having planned it for over 18 months already) that I want it to be perfect, which means I really want that MK view studio at BLT!!!

I think I am right in saying that if I am able to book 7 nights today (6th Dec to 12th Dec inclusive), then I won't have to ring again until 12th Jan to 'walk' the booking, as no one else can book my room until 13th Jan- is that right??

Many thanks for any info!!

NEXT TRIPS: August 2014 - BLT, AKV (value) & HRH / August 2015 - Aulani and Disneyland

Between Oct 1979 & Dec 2013 - approx 27 trips (including Bay Lake Towers, Polynesian, Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo & Kidani, Beach club villas, Grand Floridian Villas, Contemporary Resort, Grand Floridian, Caribbean Beach Resort, Coronado Springs, All Stars Sports, off site hotels (inc Royal Pacific, Portofino, Hard Rock hotel!!) and villas)

PLUS - Disney Cruises x 6, Disney's Vero Beach resort, DLP x 10 visits & Disneyland California x 1 visit - And our 1998 Disney Wedding at the Wedding Pavillion!!
amystevekai&bump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:10 AM   #2
Dizny Dad
DIS Veteran

Although the rules allow "walking", it has really been frustrating to me that when I call at the 11 month window (first thing in the morning!) that Member Services only has a wait list available for what we need at our home resort. The frustration comes in when the CM says that we should be able to get what we need as the calender moves forward along with all of the walking reservations they handle.

There are always ways around the intent of everything; it is like trying to work with the government. Every line is filled with those that have discovered the loop hole.

amystevekai&bump - I really don't mean to Flame you; just yesterday I had to accept a wait listing for my December trip dates. It is frustrating.

[YC 10/90][DI 6/98][SSR 8/06][DVC 10/06][SSR 3/07][VWL / SSR 12/07][SSR 5/08][SSR 10/08][VWL 5/09][VWL / SSR 12/09][AKV / SSR 5/10][VWL / SSR 12/10][VWL 5/11]
[VWL 10/11][VWL 12/11][AKL 4/12][VWL 5/12][VWL 12/12][Aulani 2/13][SSR 10/13][VWL 12/13][BWV 5/14][VWL 5/14][AKL 10/14][VWL 10/14][VWL 12/14]
[..& Still Planning]
Dizny Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-06-2010, 07:12 AM   #3
amystevekai&bump
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizny Dad View Post
Although the rules allow "walking", it has really been frustrating to me that when I call at the 11 month window (first thing in the morning!) that Member Services only has a wait list available for what we need at our home resort. The frustration comes in when the CM says that we should be able to get what we need as the calender moves forward along with all of the walking reservations they handle.

There are always ways around the intent of everything; it is like trying to work with the government. Every line is filled with those that have discovered the loop hole.

amystevekai&bump - I really don't mean to Flame you; just yesterday I had to accept a wait listing for my December trip dates. It is frustrating.
I actually agree with you totally Dizny Dad, and the only reason I am even considering doing this is because I can't face the thought of not being able to get what we want for a vacation that has been in the planning for so long.

I 'sold' my husband on DVC back in the summer and this will be our very first DVC vacation, he will not understand at all if we are unable to get our first choice, especially if, like you, we ring at exactly 11 months out.

I don't want to do this either, but for this one occassion I have (unfortunately) succumbed to the "can't beat them, join them" mentality and I sincerely apologise for doing this, as I know that it is ultimately unfair on those who haven't discovered the loophole.

It will not be something I will consider again (normally we will be vacationing in late Aug which I believe is a quieter & more expensive time points wise), and as I have said before we will be happy to get what we get from here onwards.

NEXT TRIPS: August 2014 - BLT, AKV (value) & HRH / August 2015 - Aulani and Disneyland

Between Oct 1979 & Dec 2013 - approx 27 trips (including Bay Lake Towers, Polynesian, Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo & Kidani, Beach club villas, Grand Floridian Villas, Contemporary Resort, Grand Floridian, Caribbean Beach Resort, Coronado Springs, All Stars Sports, off site hotels (inc Royal Pacific, Portofino, Hard Rock hotel!!) and villas)

PLUS - Disney Cruises x 6, Disney's Vero Beach resort, DLP x 10 visits & Disneyland California x 1 visit - And our 1998 Disney Wedding at the Wedding Pavillion!!
Old 01-06-2010, 07:54 AM   #4
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by amystevekai&bump View Post
I think I am right in saying that if I am able to book 7 nights today (6th Dec to 12th Dec inclusive), then I won't have to ring again until 12th Jan to 'walk' the booking, as no one else can book my room until 13th Jan- is that right??
Amy - that should be correct and all you have to do.

Dizny Dad - I feel for you. I also was unable to get what we wanted for the last two days. Personally I am hoping there is walking going on so that my waitlist will come thru.

KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:59 AM   #5
amystevekai&bump
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT4DISNEY View Post
Amy - that should be correct and all you have to do.

Dizny Dad - I feel for you. I also was unable to get what we wanted for the last two days. Personally I am hoping there is walking going on so that my waitlist will come thru.
thanks ever so much Kathy - glad for once I have managed to grasp something!!

Old 01-06-2010, 08:20 AM   #6
maburke
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amystevekai&bump View Post

Many thanks for any info!!
But someone calling tomorrow could book the 7th to the 13th, no?

1972: Contemporary; 1991: Radisson; 1994: OKW; 2001: BC & Disney Wonder; 2002: BWI; 2003: BCV; 2004: OKW; 2005: BWV; 2006: HHI, GCH@DL; 2007: BWV, GCH@DL; 2008: BCV; 2009: AKV-Kidani/VB & THV; 2010: BLT/BCV; 2011: VGC; 2012:OKW; 2013: VGC; 2014: DLP
maburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:20 AM   #7
amystevekai&bump
DIS Veteran

Just to let you know - I rang member services ( I was the lady's first call of the day) and I still was unable to get my reservation!!

So I guess 'walking' was the only option for me anyway, and I will have to keep on trying right through the week and hope I get lucky!!

I guess there is no other way to stop it,but I - like you Dizny Dad - find it very frustrating that we can't just ring at 11mths and be ok!!

Old 01-06-2010, 08:33 AM   #8
amystevekai&bump
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maburke View Post
Not if I had been able to book 6th until 12th as 'my' room wouldn't become available for anyone else to book until the 13th,

Old 01-06-2010, 08:48 AM   #9
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by maburke View Post
The night of the 7th would have to be available for someone to call and begin a reservation tomorrow. But it wouldn't be the room that Amy already has a lock on b/c she would have that booked already. And her room would be tied up until the 12th so no one could book that exact room slot until the 13th.

This only works right at the 11 month window and because of the allowing to book 7 days.

Sorry you didn't get your room Amy - hopefully you can by the date you really need it otherwise there is the waitlist. My room wasn't available yet again today either if that makes you feel any better!

KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:02 AM   #10
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizny Dad View Post

We could presume their intent but we really don't know. The reality is that they set the rules and we have to learn to deal with them. IMO, walking should not be allowed and it is easy to stop. Just make each change in dates a cancelation and rebooking as most every other system does. Problem solved, essentially no more walking and far less speculative type bookings in general. And while it may be negative to how some people want to use their membership, it is certainly fair for everyone. Another option, one I'd prefer not to see, would be a change/cancelation fee.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:28 AM   #11
amystevekai&bump
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT4DISNEY View Post
Sorry you didn't get your room Amy - hopefully you can by the date you really need it otherwise there is the waitlist. My room wasn't available yet again today either if that makes you feel any better!
thanks Kathy - I don't feel any better though - I just now feel sorry for you as well as Dizny Dad and myself!!!

Old 01-06-2010, 10:09 AM   #12
Crystal_27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
IMO, walking should not be allowed and it is easy to stop. Just make each change in dates a cancelation and rebooking as most every other system does. Problem solved, essentially no more walking and far less speculative type bookings in general.
I agree with you completely (!!!). With that said, though, as long as it's available, I'll be using it to book those hard-to-come-by reservations. I just wish that Disney didn't allow it so I wouldn't have to feel like such a jerk for doing it.

Me (34); DD (9)
December, 2007 Land/Sea Trip Report
9 Days of Disney Dining (Food Report)
March, 2009 Trip Report
September, 2009 Eastern Cruise Trip Report

Next trips: Aulani in September, 2014 and Thanksgiving, 2014 on the Magic (YAY).
Crystal_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:12 AM   #13
amystevekai&bump
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal_27 View Post
I agree with you completely (!!!). With that said, though, as long as it's available, I'll be using it to book those hard-to-come-by reservations. I just wish that Disney didn't allow it so I wouldn't have to feel like such a jerk for doing it.
I couldn't agree with you more Crystal - thats EXACTLY how I feel too!!

Old 01-06-2010, 10:18 AM   #14
GuySmiley
Mouseketeer

I called Dec 31st hoping to make reservations for Dec 1-7 2010. Well that was a day too early and they said I'd have to call back on Sat Jan 2nd. That was fine with me because AKV isn't a resort that will fill up that fast anyway.

But the member services rep on the phone suggested that I could book Nov 30 to Dec 7th now and drop the first day later. I was kind of shocked they would suggest it. I'd think they'd want to discourage that.

All that said, I'm not above doing it, I just don't want other people doing it. BLT Magic Kinddom view will be hard to come by. I always thought it was a big mistake making only 30% of rooms magic kingdom view. With a different layout they could've done better I think.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:46 AM   #15
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal_27 View Post
That's what I meant by "they make the rules". If it's allowed, there's not anything wrong with using it. I don't think you have to feel bad, just like you didn't using day by day reservations before. They'll fix it at some point I'm confident but then you have to deal with what issues the fix brings. With either of the 2 I mentioned, they essentially fix the issue without causing other problems for the system other than the initial griping and moaning. It does change ones usage and planning somewhat but not that much. Both options save a LOT of time and likely $$$ for DVC in the MS arena. Other than the collection issue, neither cause significant unintended consequences from DVC's side that I can see. The only negative to the cancelation and rebooking approach is that they might spend more time looking than they do now but I think that time will be a drop in the bucket compared to what they're spending now.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: