Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2009, 07:17 AM   #1
kaffinito
Grant me the Serenity to Accept the Reservations I Cannot Change
Lock yourself in there for a few minutes and sing a happy song until the angry gerbils in your head stop stomping on your brain!

Adventures with my DH DH **Actual Trip Report pg 3!**

Adventures with my Disney Hating Husband.

So here we go - DH and I are going back to WDW for a few days between Christmas and New Years. This comes as a huge surprise to me, and means that my former Disney hating DH has turned into a Disney liking DH.

So here’s the back story on this trip. (It's kind of long, so please bear with me!)

I took DH on his first trip to WDW the first week of March last year. (It was just the two of us, the boys were in Texas with their dad.) DH was hesitant about going and hated Disney with a passion, but he agreed to go if only to find out why I liked the place so much. We stayed at AKL and did three out of four parks, but only tiptoed into MK one night.

Well, he liked the food, AKL, and the parks. EPCOT and AK were his favorites, and by the end of the trip he was talking about going back on a family trip. I haven’t said anything to him about going back with him since then because I know how his mind works.

Well I’ve been really depressed since my parents died (Mom in 2007 and Dad in 2008) and haven’t felt like celebrating the holidays at all. So I figured I’d book me and the kids at Vero Beach resort for the time after Christmas and stay over for NYE so I wouldn't be so bummed out during the holidays this year.

Then ex-DH called and said he wanted the boys for the whole two weeks of Christmas break, not just for a week. Since he lives in Texas, and doesn’t get to see the boys much anymore, I acquiesced. But I hung onto my ressie at VB since I was hoping there would still be some way I would get to go.

Then about two weeks ago DH said that he wanted to go with me to Florida over the holidays, and that he’d try to get the time off of work. But he didn’t want to go to VB, he wanted me to take him back to WDW! So I spent about a week trying to get any kind of a DVC room on property, with no luck at all so I told him we had to stay at VB.

Now comes the slightly tricky dishonest part.

I was so excited about getting to go to WDW and seeing the resorts all decorated, the Osborne lights, the giant Christmas trees, etc, that I decided that maybe if I told him we could use our points to stay at a WDW resort then I could “get away” with booking us a WDW resort stay.

So then I sat down to pick the resort. My choices were:

BC in a standard room (It's in the EPCOT area but expensive)

BWI in a standard room (Same pros and cons as above with an additional con- the scary clown pool)

CSR in a king room (The price is right and they have a fitness center but I really don't like it very much)

Next up - and I promise this will be a lot shorter - the restaurants and how I ended up with a BWI CL room.

Last edited by kaffinito; 01-05-2010 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Title
Old 11-21-2009, 11:52 PM   #2
kaffinito
Lock yourself in there for a few minutes and sing a happy song until the angry gerbils in your head stop stomping on your brain!

Ugghh the bad news is that the Innkeepers Club closes at night so we won't be able to see the fireworks from there.

So I'm trying for a room that has a view of EPCOT instead. We'll still be staying CL though.

So so far I have booked Captains Grille, Bistro, Cape May, and Liberty Tree Tavern for the 30th. The only ressie I wanted but didn't get was O'hana. I might try for a walk up though.

Now I have to book two massages, and horseback riding. I called IPO today to book the Wildlife Discovery Excursion so that's done.

This is so much fun! I love planning trips!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-22-2009, 01:35 PM   #3
Minnie&Nana
Dreams do come true!
Pretty darn charming!

Hi, Karen!! YIPPEE, I'm first on board for your PTR!

It is not boring at all - I mean, come on...how a could an unexpected trip with a Disney hating PTR be boring? Silly you!

Keep trying for O'hana - as Kathy can tell you from experience, it is pretty amazing what opens up as the trip gets closer.

Massages and horseback riding? Fabulous!

NO CL rooms with an EPCOT voew? Hmmm.....

Old 11-22-2009, 07:00 PM   #4
kaffinito

Howdy!

I called a few times on this and checked All Ears too, and the only CL rooms with a chance of a lagoon view and therefore an EPCOT view are the Deluxe CL rooms. Sure, I could get a regular water view room that might have a view of EPCOT, but then we wouldn't be CL.

I've secretly wanted to try CL and this seems like a good chance to.

I'll call IPO (God, I love saying that!) and see about O'Hana - maybe they can get us in. Thanks for your support!

Old 11-22-2009, 09:53 PM   #5
kaffinito

Ok so now I'm trying really really hard not to go totally crazy and book one of those Garden Suites at BWI.

This is terrible - I can't remember the last time I planned a trip to WDW and wanted to leave NOW!

I'm trying hard to keep it simple (other than the room ) and just have horseback riding, the wildlife excursion, and massages on the list. The only things I really want to do while there at the parks is see the Osborne lights, MK fireworks before NYE, and ride POTC and HM with DH.

I'll try to calm down a bit and stay off of Disneyworld.com for a while. (But it won't be easy!)

Old 11-23-2009, 06:50 PM   #6
*~PrincessBelle~*
DIS Veteran

Sounds like a great plan so far! Keep trying for Ohana's you never know..especially with the online ressie system people (and one who will remain nameless) are constantly changing and tweaking ADR's so you never know!! Good Luck...and have fun staying CL!!!!
Old 11-25-2009, 11:18 PM   #7
kaffinito

Quote:
Originally Posted by *~PrincessBelle~* View Post
Sounds like a great plan so far! Keep trying for Ohana's you never know..especially with the online ressie system people (and one who will remain nameless) are constantly changing and tweaking ADR's so you never know!! Good Luck...and have fun staying CL!!!!
Thanks! ADR's are the one thing I don't tweak - ressies are another matter entirely!

I had a bad day today - almost switched our ressies to the Swan (probably the last resort I'd want to stay at) in a King bed -Boardwalk view room.

It was sooo tempting - it would have saved us a ton of cheddar!

But I came to my senses when I realized that A) I don't particularly care for S/D (yet) and B) I'd have to pack a lot of snacks for my DHDH (Disney Hating DH) if we didn't stay CL.

And finally the deciding factor was the Wildlife Expedition tour. That might be DH's only chance to get good safari photos since I expect that the parks and attractions will be so packed.

So we're staying put. After all, how often (try never) does DHDH come to me and say that he wants to go to WDW?

Old 11-26-2009, 06:01 AM   #8
stitchaholic
DIS Veteran

isn't it terrible that there are always sooo many choices ?? I would definitly stay CL,thjat's exciting, plus the added perks of having them look after all the details, gotta love it !
one day,I plan on doing a girls trip only,massages will definitly be on the agenda, your plans sound wonderful!
what is the wildlife expedition tour ?
WLV-jan 2nd,2010 , AKL july 2011 , ASMo2012 , AKV 2012 , july 2013 Universal/SW/DC
Old 11-26-2009, 07:53 PM   #9
kaffinito

I know! I wish there weren't so many choices - but I do think that BWI will be the best one for us this trip. The walk to DHS and EPCOT, plus the snacks in the lounge and that Tour all make this a good choice.

Too bad it's not a cheap choice as well. At least going with DH I know I won't be able to buy even a t-shirt without him crabbing about it so I'll save money that way!

So far the Wildlife Discovery Excursion is the only thing I booked through IPO. I made all of our dining ressies online. (Can you say "control freak"? )

As for what it is, this is from the Concierge thread here on the DIS: Wildlife Discovery Excursion

Guests staying on the concierge level at a Walt Disney World Deluxe Resort can take advantage of a unique tour called Wildlife Discovery Excursions. An animal expert will accompany you in a specially designed climate controlled vehicle for a one hour journey into the 110 acre savanna at Disney's Animal Kingdom. (Tours began February 2005).

This tour is very educational and full of information regarding Disney's animal programs. You stop at pre-selected locations in the savannah for photo opportunities. The tour is held rain or shine (unless the weather is severe). During our tour it rained quite heavily at times, however the animals were out all over the savannah.

Small groups (14 maximum) head out for this adventure twice a day (Tuesday through Saturday) at a cost of $50 each, age 3 and up. A portion of the proceeds are donated to the Disney Wildlife Conservation Fund. Advance reservations are required. Contact your concierge or resort itinerary planner at your deluxe Disney resort.

Now I'm off to visit your thread!

Old 11-30-2009, 09:56 PM   #10
kaffinito

Stressing and obsessing again about my ressie. Should I keep BWI CL or switch to BC CL? Or even stranger, Poly CL?

I still have to e-mail IPO about my massage times and horseback riding dates. I still don't want to bother them too much. I have a funny feeling that I don't quite "get" CL and IPO.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:39 AM   #11
annnewjerz
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.

Hi there!

Just popping in, happened to be checking my own Christmas PTR and saw that you had one started as well. Lovely plans so far, can't wait to hear more.

This will be DH's third trip to Disney and I'm hoping that third time's the charm when it comes to getting him hooked.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:38 PM   #12
kaffinito

Quote:
Originally Posted by annnewjerz View Post
Hi there!

Just popping in, happened to be checking my own Christmas PTR and saw that you had one started as well. Lovely plans so far, can't wait to hear more.

This will be DH's third trip to Disney and I'm hoping that third time's the charm when it comes to getting him hooked.
Me too! I really hope he gets hooked as badly as my DH apparently did.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:49 PM   #13
kaffinito

So here I am with just a few weeks left until Xmas at the World.

The BWI IPO was supposed to get back with me yesterday with the times for our massages at Muscles and Bustles, but so far nothing. Looks like I'll have to call Omar tomorrow.

Now I'm going back and forth between BWI CL, Poly LVCL, and BC CL.

I don't know why I'm waffling. BWI looks perfect for us - I know DH will like it there.

I can't even call DH and DHDH anymore. He wants to see MK, and wants to go to BB for a day. Remember, this trip was his idea - I would have been ok with VB and the kids!

Old 12-04-2009, 08:40 PM   #14
Minnie&Nana
Dreams do come true!
Pretty darn charming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaffinito View Post
Stressing and obsessing again about my ressie. Should I keep BWI CL or switch to BC CL? Or even stranger, Poly CL?
Hi! Sorry I've been MIA (that always looks weird when I use it as missing in action b/c it's also my daughter's name...waaay before it was popular...I mean waaaay before. lol)

Anyhoo...I so understand the stressing and obsessing...but DWI is a better price than Poly CL and much better than BC CL. Oh, and the GV Poly CL rooms can have an awful view and no balcony on the 2nd floor - I would never take a chance! So much money for a view of a tree or back of a pool bldg...and possibly no balcony...

I have go back and catch up.

Old 12-06-2009, 04:18 PM   #15
kaffinito

I hear you! I think I just really want to stay at the Poly again and am looking for an excuse to go.

I always thought Mia was a pretty name. I knew a girl in school a looonnnggg time ago who had that name too.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: