Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2010, 09:41 AM   #121
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
Evening Ellen !!! Love the look on Seans face wit the"desired" snack!!!
Hi Rosie! He was very satisfied with his day so far, I think, including the perfect snack at the perfect time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
What a fun day with your boy! His choice of rides was interesting - I would have thought maybe no PP, but CGC would be okay. Maybe he doesn't like going in circles? DH won't ride Dumbo or CGC or teacups because of that.

Oh! OH! trouble in paradise coming?

BTW - I can't believe it's already almost time for your St. John trip - just what I need to read about now!
He loves circles- the teacups are one of his all time favorites- he just remembers something in those rides he doesn't like.

And I can't wait for STJ!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by areck View Post
What a fabulous time in the Magic Kingdom!
No matter what is going to happen during "bubble departure", you'll ALWAYS have this special day to remember.
Thanks! I agree, a great day with Sean that I cherish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiLovesWDW! View Post
I could sure use the extra money! I would get a cut of the winnings, right?
Absolutely!! Just don't think I'm increasing your cut after you get your masters....

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAFan0829 View Post
How awesome is it that you and Sean were having so much fun together that you lost track of time--that's good stuff right there!

As always, can't wait to read more!
Very, very good stuff! Thanks!

Quote:
Morning Ellen !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by karajeboo View Post
Good morning Rosie.....
Good morning ladies!
Old 01-14-2010, 12:50 PM   #122
CRdisMom
DIS Veteran

oh dear--im sorry to hear that he had a melt down. I can totally understand. I now know that we are going to stay off site. The thought of having a room just for Beth to decompress is toooooo valuable.

At Kidani--did you and Sean have the bedroom and the boys and Pods have the living room?

Dinner looks reallly good

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2010, 01:21 PM   #123
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRdisMom View Post
oh dear--im sorry to hear that he had a melt down. I can totally understand. I now know that we are going to stay off site. The thought of having a room just for Beth to decompress is toooooo valuable.

At Kidani--did you and Sean have the bedroom and the boys and Pods have the living room?

Dinner looks reallly good
Sean was fine in that HRH room after that first night- but I was very glad we were returning to the 1bdrm setup when the weekend was over- our kids are just too big now, it felt very "crunchy" in there. And Sean was much happier- if you think that's what Beth needs, then that's a very good thing to do for her!!

HAHA- it does seem like Sean & I were in the bedroom & Pods was out in the livingroom! It kind of was like that- but not planned that way. Sean was supposed to be on the pull-out chair (it was even written in the book, I had him point to his bed!! LOL!). But he went to the big bed. Pods doesn't like getting knocked around by a kid when he sleeps, so he left after trying it a couple of times and always ended up out in the livingroom with the boys- except when Timmy wanted to sleep in the King bed, too! And it was me they wanted in the bed with them, so that's why I got to sleep in the bed instead of Pods & I taking turns. What can i tell ya- I must be very loved by my sons!
Old 01-14-2010, 01:35 PM   #124
tinytreasures
DIS Veteran

so sorry about the meltdowns
we had a few of those on our trip thankfully grandma was there to help us and having 4 bedrooms helped too

I am loving your report and you are giving me hope we should try going back one day
Old 01-14-2010, 03:25 PM   #125
MEK
DIS Veteran

You know Ellen - I was just thinking how well things were going for you after yesterday's update........ I guess going out of the bubble was a little disruptive for Sean. Oh well........I guess you couldn't really predict that for sure.

I hope he settles down and let's sleep kick in. It is really hard to go from a villa to a hotel room. I know how we felt in June. It doesn't matter how nice the room is.....the size difference is just so overwhelming and the contrast makes the hotel room actually feel smaller.

I hope Pods makes out OK on the cot. I think I'm definately seeing a 2BR villa in your family's future. Then Pods can get "first dibs" on the beds.

Anyho....yum, yum, yummy meal and martinis!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 01-14-2010, 03:53 PM   #126
NikkiLovesWDW!
"Are you seeing an increase in lateral forces?" "Sure am!"

Oh how sad. And after you had such a wonderful day together. I guess you have to take the good with the bad. Many times you said how surprised and thrilled you were that he handled things so well. Obviously you know things never go according to plan. Sometimes things are worse but there were a lot of times that were better!

How were the other boys when all this was going on? There's one picture of Tyler at dinner where he looks like he's just had ENOUGH! (They are all so handsome, by the way!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post

But as you can see, he had his backpack on and CLEARLY had another accomodation in his head-

Now what is that I see on the night stand? An after dinner drink to help calm your nerves?!

I know it wasn't funny at the time, but I LOVE this picture of Sean. Like he's thinking so hard about how he can get you guys to leave (and go back to Disney!) Good thing someone had the foresight to take pictures, even during a meltdown!
Old 01-14-2010, 05:26 PM   #127
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytreasures View Post
so sorry about the meltdowns
we had a few of those on our trip thankfully grandma was there to help us and having 4 bedrooms helped too

I am loving your report and you are giving me hope we should try going back one day
I'm sorry about your meltdowns, they are painful for everyone. But, oh...I hope you DO try again someday!! I know it is soooo scary, but I think it's always ggod to try- because if it does work out- well, there's just nothing better! Sean did have a rough time adjusting to HRH- but he was fine with it after this night, so it was all, without question, worth it. Please keep me posted!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
You know Ellen - I was just thinking how well things were going for you after yesterday's update........ I guess going out of the bubble was a little disruptive for Sean. Oh well........I guess you couldn't really predict that for sure.

I hope he settles down and let's sleep kick in. It is really hard to go from a villa to a hotel room. I know how we felt in June. It doesn't matter how nice the room is.....the size difference is just so overwhelming and the contrast makes the hotel room actually feel smaller.

I hope Pods makes out OK on the cot. I think I'm definately seeing a 2BR villa in your family's future. Then Pods can get "first dibs" on the beds.

Anyho....yum, yum, yummy meal and martinis!
We have known him his whole life, and we always know SOMETHING is coming, but that doesn't neccessarily mean we know WHEN it is coming!! He did, thankfully settle down when he got into bed with me, and slept soundly til morning, when he woke up his old happy self. And I agree- very hard to go from 1 bdrm to a hotel room. It was tough on ALL of us, and it was a pretty nice hotel room!!

Poor, poor Pods.. He did sleep in the bed with timmy the next night- Tyler had the cot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiLovesWDW! View Post
Oh how sad. And after you had such a wonderful day together. I guess you have to take the good with the bad. Many times you said how surprised and thrilled you were that he handled things so well. Obviously you know things never go according to plan. Sometimes things are worse but there were a lot of times that were better!

How were the other boys when all this was going on? There's one picture of Tyler at dinner where he looks like he's just had ENOUGH! (They are all so handsome, by the way!)

Now what is that I see on the night stand? An after dinner drink to help calm your nerves?!

I know it wasn't funny at the time, but I LOVE this picture of Sean. Like he's thinking so hard about how he can get you guys to leave (and go back to Disney!) Good thing someone had the foresight to take pictures, even during a meltdown!
The boys were really good and patient with him...Tyler makes a big effort to talk very calmly and slowly, and tries to encourage him to relax or try things he's afraid of. Timmy is very sweet with him, but Timmy's ears are very sensitive (he had a TON of ear infections when he was a baby) so if Sean screams, Timmy has his hands over his ears. Timmy is the one who acts as Sean's voice- if we do something he knows Sean doesn't like (like trying to make him talk, or asking him too many questions) Timmy is the one who pipes in "Don't do that- Sean doesn't like it". He was good at dinner- not a problem at all- so I think it's just a bad pic of Ty. But I do know what you mean.

And thanks, I think they're handsome, too.

Yes, it's true! I had another glass of wine in the room!! Truth be told, I probably should have had about 40!!

And I am sure that is EXACTLY what Sean was thinking in that picture- "How do I get these IDIOTS to leave this room and go back where we belong??? Screaming didn't work, stamping my feet didn't work.... CRAP! I never shoulda gotten outta that car!" Pods took the pics (obviously it wasn't me) of which I remember thinking at the time...NOW is when you decide to get snap-happy??? NOW?????

Aaahhhhh....I'm sure anyone living this autism adventure will tell you...you HAVE TO be able to LAUGH...
Old 01-14-2010, 05:32 PM   #128
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

ElenI was just at our Management Meeting today !! They were talking about looking at Day Programs to provide for Austistic Children after they complete School !!I think their will bemore info coming and will be on the lok out for anything that might be good for Sean!!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
Old 01-15-2010, 01:02 AM   #129
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Wow! I'm so sorry your first evening with Sean was stressful. We used to travel for AAU basketball with a single dad who had a boy on the team, and a younger autistic son. I witnessed how something that didn't feel quite right would trigger a meltdown. It was really hard for them, and this boy was only 7. I can just imagine dealing with a big boy like Sean! I give you so much credit for how you understand his needs and calm him down - God blessed Sean with a very special family!
Old 01-15-2010, 07:33 AM   #130
karajeboo
DISmom by land and by sea!

Ellen, I just LOVE your family!!!!! Sean seems just as sweet as can be. I'm guessing Tyler is the mischievous one..... And while all your kids are beautiful, there's just something about Timmy that makes me want to pinch his cheeks!!!! And Pods, poor poor patient Pods...... And of course I already know and love YOU!!!!

Check out my TRs: DISmoms 3! If the Tiara Fits..... May, 2011
The McSparklesons are BACK! And they are CRUISIN! March, 2011
DISmoms Round Two: Don't Axe, Don't Tell May 2010 - A joint TR with my fellow DISmoms!
On the 1st Day of Christmas, Walt Disney Gave to Me...... December 2009; Belly Up at the Dolphin September, 2009 ,
Yes, I AM the Upgrade Queen May, 2009, DISmoms Gone WILD!!!! , May, 2009
A Joint TR with "podsnel" and "Camster0307"

Upgrades, Underwear, and Upside Down Fun - a TR full of "new" adventures! , March, 2009
5/2012 DCL Dream (DISmoms 4) 3/2012 DCL Magic Western Caribbean 12/2011 BWV (Mom/Dad's 50th Anniversary) 5/2011 BWV (DISmoms Gone Wild III) DCL Magic Eastern Caribbean (First family cruise!) 5/2010 BCV (DISmoms Gone Wild Part II) 4/2010 CSR (Mother/Daughter Trip12/2009 VWL (Family Christmas Trip) 9/2009 Dolphin (Mother/Daughter Trip) 8/2009 ASSP (Mothers/Daughters Trip with Neighbors) 5/2009 AKL (DISmoms Gone Wild Trip), 5/2009 AKL (Family Trip), 3/2009 CSR (Mother/Daughter Weekend), 11/2008 CSR (Mother/Daugter Trip), 9/2008 Yacht Club (Anniversary Trip), 5/2008 POP (Grand Gathering),3/2008 POR (P&PP), 5/2006 POP (Family Trip), 5/2000 CSR (Business), 5/1998 BWI (Honeymoon), Multiple offsite adventures!
Old 01-15-2010, 08:24 AM   #131
podsnel

Quote:
ElenI was just at our Management Meeting today !! They were talking about looking at Day Programs to provide for Austistic Children after they complete School !!I think their will bemore info coming and will be on the lok out for anything that might be good for Sean!!!
For some reason the DIS is not allowing me to multi-quote this morning, so I'm going to answer one at a time-

Rosie!! That is so nice of you, thank-you very, very much. I think one of the hardest things having Sean or any autistic child is coping with his adulthood. It's very scary- and there are not NEARLY enough services to accomodate the flood of autistic adults that is about to hit society. It's an epidemic. So anything you learn and would like to pass on, I would be very grateful for. Thanks, sweetie!
Old 01-15-2010, 08:32 AM   #132
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
Wow! I'm so sorry your first evening with Sean was stressful. We used to travel for AAU basketball with a single dad who had a boy on the team, and a younger autistic son. I witnessed how something that didn't feel quite right would trigger a meltdown. It was really hard for them, and this boy was only 7. I can just imagine dealing with a big boy like Sean! I give you so much credit for how you understand his needs and calm him down - God blessed Sean with a very special family!
Wow- I give that parent alot of credit for having the one kid playing travel and the autistic 7 yr old going along- that would be incredibly difficult and stressful. You know both our boys play travel baseball- if we didn't have Sheree & Henry, and other very wonderful babysitters able to help us, it would be a disaster. I can count on one hand how many games (baseball or other) he has been to out of neccessity- and it's been very challenging. For basketball, especially, the noise in a gym is sooooo overwhelming and over-stimulating!! On a baseball field or soccer field, he runs around- so there's always the threat of him running out into the game. I do miss alot of their games, Pods always goes, but for baseball the games overlap and are in 2 different directions, so we thank-GOD for our sitters!

And thank-you for the kind words about our family.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:47 AM   #133
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by karajeboo View Post
Ellen, I just LOVE your family!!!!! Sean seems just as sweet as can be. I'm guessing Tyler is the mischievous one..... And while all your kids are beautiful, there's just something about Timmy that makes me want to pinch his cheeks!!!! And Pods, poor poor patient Pods...... And of course I already know and love YOU!!!!
Well, thanks so much, Miss Kara!! I think your family is pretty darn wonderful, too!! You have got them all pegged- Sean is very sweet, very affectionate (to me and Pods). He really and truly wants to please us- even with things he'd rather not do. Tyler is, well, not truly mischevious, he's more of a classclown type. Which is michevious, I guess. He will do anything...ANYTHING...for a laugh. I keep waiting for the day I have to run him to the emergency room to pull out the quarters someone dared him to shove up his nose!! THAT'S what Tyler is like.

And it's funny you said that about Timmy- when he was a baby, I always had this urge to bite his cheeks- I just wanted to gobble him up- he was just so cute!! He is the one who loves me to pieces, and he is very goofy- like Tyler, funny, but goofier! And he HATES to see anyone picked on- he gets soooooo upset if someone is getting picked on, or is getting yelled at. He has a very big heart. I think he looks the most like Pods- well, that's what people tell me (including my MIL) but it's hard for me to see- I'll have to post a picture of little Pods and you can judge!

And poor, poor Pods does more good deeds than most of the men I know-tooooooooo much volunteering!! He also washes the dishes- after parties, my girlfriends all line up to watch- they think he is the sexiest man alive!!

Love you too, Kara!!

Ok- don't know if I'll be updating in the next day or 2, we're having a dinner party tomorrow night- NYE that was cancelled because I was sick! TTFN!
Old 01-15-2010, 09:10 AM   #134
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
For some reason the DIS is not allowing me to multi-quote this morning, so I'm going to answer one at a time-

Rosie!! That is so nice of you, thank-you very, very much. I think one of the hardest things having Sean or any autistic child is coping with his adulthood. It's very scary- and there are not NEARLY enough services to accomodate the flood of autistic adults that is about to hit society. It's an epidemic. So anything you learn and would like to pass on, I would be very grateful for. Thanks, sweetie!
As soon as my Director mentioned it I thought of you and Sean!!! When I hear anything of interest I will pass it on!!
I know the agency I work for has PRE VOC which is a sheltered workshop!! But I don't think they are geared towards Autism !!!So it is nice to hear that it is on their minds !!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
Old 01-15-2010, 09:23 AM   #135
Jenny-Bell
Sprinkling the kids with pixie dust...

Hi, I just wanted to let you know that I really enjoyed reading about your trip.
I have two boys (5 and 3) and my 5 year old is Autistic, so I completely get the picky eating and melt downs. Since mine is only 5 right now, it was nice to hear a story about someone older and how well it worked.

We took our kids to Disney for the first time in July 2009 and they loved it. Christopher is attached to pizza and pb&j, BUT the pb&j has to be creamy peanut butter, strawberry jelly and regular white bread, not the un-crustables, and it has to be cut in half, not triangles and not missing the crust.
Pizza has to be cheese only, and he is very particular on how it must look.
He is constantly carrying around a toy, normally something that lights up (so, of course he gets sucked into those carts around the parks at night).

Thanks so much for sharing! We are going again the first week of February! So excited!

Oh...is AKL your home resort for DVC? We want to stay there so bad, I'm sure the kids would love it! Have been thinking about getting DVC, not 100% sure yet though!!

Anyways, thanks again! I really loved reading about it, kind of wondering how the rest of the trip went though?
Take care!
Jenny

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: