Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2010, 09:43 AM   #391
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

OBX Cont'd

Monday was our one and only rainy day- the huge storm that was affecting the entire East Coast had hit us on Sunday night and stayed until Tuesday morning. So we spent a relaxing day watching Forrest Gump (one of my all-time FAVES! I could watch that movie 100 times and still love it!) and watching the Ospreys out our window. Also fit in a little shopping, got the tshirt purchases out of the way- great sales this time of year at Gray's! We would have gone TO the movies, but the local theatre was still closed for the season, and the nearest one that was open was about 45 minutes away.

The whole week we were on the lookout for bald eagles- we had heard they could be seen around here- but never saw them. It turned out that they are there seasonally, usually Feb/March. That night we were headed over to Krista/Bethie/Giselle/ Ange's house- it was Libby's birthday and we were all going over to wish her a happy one! Ange is a caterer, and made the most delicious meal- beginning with these incredible greek phyllo appetizers and serving Coq au Vin for dinner with mashed potatoes and noodles and salad. Followed by 2 kinds of ice cream cake! AWESOME!

Their house was the largest of all of our houses, and they had the most people- it was in Whalehead, another development in Corolla. When we went home that night, we watched Avatar and joan & I did a puzzle, while my boys played foosball & video games downstairs-

Tuesday morning a bunch of the women went for a looooong walk on the beach- it was still gray and cloudy, but the rain had stopped!

We went to the horse fence and back. If you are not aware, i can tell you that there are wild horses in the Outer Banks- and up until sometime in recent history, (like mid to late '90s) they ran free on the island, mainly in the northen part where we were. But the horse fence was erected and all the horses were rounded up and put behind it because as the northern part of the island became more developed, the horses were getting injured (think about what happens to deer on the road ). Last year we saw the horses...this year we saw their fence. The walk from our house was about 5 to 6 miles, roundtrip. In the first pic you can see how high the tide still was from the storm. We had to walk single file at that point to avoid getting wet!

Touching the fence for goodluck!

Beyond the fence- Carova, where the horses and trucks run free-

I have to throw in a couple of pics from last year, just to show the horses, because they were SO STINKIN' CUTE!! These animals are descendents of Spanish horses which were released as a Spanish Galleon sank in the Atlantic offshore- they swam in, horses can swim for miles! The wild horses of OBX are the only true wild horses in the USA- they are completely on their own...if they become ill, they are removed from the population and never returned to it, living instead in a horse preserve also on the island. They are smaller than domestic horses, and they had their furry winter coats on-

Too bad I didn't have my DSLR last year, just a little point&shoot.

Time to go back-

The prettiest sight of all on the walk back- BLUE SKIES!!

I know I've posted these before, but this is where they fit, so here they are again-

As soon as we got home, Joan & I DOVE into our leftovers from Sunday night- we were STARVING!!! Nice to discover that THE salad, the leftover skirt steak, and chicken all tasted positively SCRUMPTIOUS together! Our view while we ate on the deck wasn't half bad either!

To be continued.....

Last edited by podsnel; 04-16-2010 at 09:01 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:45 AM   #392
podsnel

Obx...

I talked Joan & morgan into a game of tennis. Keep in mind- I haven't played since I was a kid (unless you count the 80's with Pods one time that ended in near fisticuffs! ), Morgan took some lessons who remembers when, and Joan has never played in her life! We had soooo much fun!! And doesn't Joan look professional?

Morgan is goofing around with her Mom-

While we were playing, Timmy & tyler rode by on their bikes, coming back from shooting hoops up at all the basketball courts near the ocean. They were having a ball, loving all the freedom they have when we are down there. By the time we rode our bikes home, they were playing xbox with some of the other boys at our house-

We three girls continued our marathon day of exercise at the small gym- which didn't keep us busy for too long. Really need more weights in there- anyway, after that, it was time for showers, a glorious sunset, and then dinner at North Banks. Back with that later!

Last edited by podsnel; 04-16-2010 at 09:04 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-13-2010, 11:52 AM   #393
WannaBeADisMom
WDW...it's my "happy place"....

Yay, Ellen! It's like reliving Spring Break....and I wanna go back! So much fun and SO RELAXING!!!!
Old 04-13-2010, 12:39 PM   #394
Mysteria
MINDFREAK!
I'll release my inner felon on his butt if I get soaked by rain and bumped by pushy people
Make wishes on folded up chips

Here comes the poop tag

Location: They couldn't fit chemical and oil refinery state on the license plates

Looks like so much fun for everyone!

The white lines dancing brings back some memories.

Those horses are so beautiful! It's too bad they had to put up the fence.

eta: That would be memories of dancing to white lines not doing them.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:34 PM   #395
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeADisMom View Post
Yay, Ellen! It's like reliving Spring Break....and I wanna go back! So much fun and SO RELAXING!!!!
Me TOO!!!! It was an excellent vacation with you- can't wait to have our next one in 17 days!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteria View Post
Looks like so much fun for everyone!

The white lines dancing brings back some memories.

Those horses are so beautiful! It's too bad they had to put up the fence.

eta: That would be memories of dancing to white lines not doing them.
Very nice clarification there, Myst!

Yes, it is too bad about the fence- Peter told us that when he was laying on the beach way back when, he was very startled by a horse running right by him- scared the #$!! out of him! But I'm glad they're safe, now, and that area of beach is for MILES....all the way to Virginia...they have plenty of space to roam in, and it is a much more natural area with ENORMOUS sand dunes, etc. You can rent there, too- but it's too remote for me. Must have 4 wheel drive, have to watch tide schedules to get back and forth from your house, very, very hard to drive at night...the people who are vacationing out there are looking for alot more quiet and solitude than I need- but to each his own, I'm happy for the people who enjoy it!
Old 04-13-2010, 02:11 PM   #396
podsnel

Obx...

Every night we enjoyed the sunsets from the deck- really, REALLY enjoyed them.

A couple of the boys looking for the right place to fish-

Aaaahhhh...

Even pretty from inside the house-

Our two families headed out for dinner at North Banks, a very popular restaurant just 5 minutes away in Timbuck II. Our waiter was hilarious- it was like having dinner at Turtle Talk with Crush, dudes! Righteous!! Timmy & Tyler got FULL racks of ribs- EACH- and even with sharing with Joan's son, Tighe, we had leftovers to put out for lunch on Thursday! (Originally Timmy had started to order a half rack for an appetizer and a full rack for an entree, but we put the big CRUSH on that order, little dude!) All of our meals were yummy, I would go back to North Banks again.

Crush, our waiter, told us he was "totally stoked" by our menu choices.

Tyler shows off his love of ribs-

Back to our house, we made it an early night, and I took some pics with my boys before heading to bed-

Back with more later...

Last edited by podsnel; 04-16-2010 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:15 PM   #397
NikkiLovesWDW!
"Are you seeing an increase in lateral forces?" "Sure am!"

Sounds like a wonderful trip! That sunset if just beautiful! And can I come to your house for dinner?! My goodness, you guys can COOK!!

I'm with the boys on the ribs! YUM! They really are just too messy though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
Peter & I had a BLAST doing White Lines.
Uhhh......

Ok, I know what you meant...and I love Duran Duran....but honey, that does NOT sound right!

Last edited by NikkiLovesWDW!; 04-13-2010 at 03:41 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:32 PM   #398
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiLovesWDW! View Post
Sounds like a wonderful trip! That sunset if just beautiful! And can I come to your house for dinner?! My goodness, you guys can COOK!!

I'm with the boys on the ribs! YUM! They really are just too messy though.

Uhhh......

Ok, I know what you meant...and I love Duran Duran....but honey, that does NOT sound right!
Ok...just to point out how OLD I am compared to you....we were dancing to the original White Lines (Don't Do It) by Grandmaster Melle Mel from 1983. The one by Duran Duran came out in 1995. Definitely JUST dancing and SINGING to an old song, too, nothing else!!

And of COURSE you can come to dinner!! We really do LOVE to cook!!
Old 04-13-2010, 04:47 PM   #399
NikkiLovesWDW!
"Are you seeing an increase in lateral forces?" "Sure am!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
Ok...just to point out how OLD I am compared to you....we were dancing to the original White Lines (Don't Do It) by Grandmaster Melle Mel from 1983. The one by Duran Duran came out in 1995. Definitely JUST dancing and SINGING to an old song, too, nothing else!!

And of COURSE you can come to dinner!! We really do LOVE to cook!!
Hahaha too funny!

And how about Alice? It's playing at the Rialto......not sure how much longer it will be out.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:08 PM   #400
MEK
DIS Veteran

http://www.vrbo.com/177744

Hi Ellen:

I posted a link to the VRBO listing in Corolla that we are renting this summer. Maybe you can tell from the location if its close to where you stayed. Sounds like it might be.

Those sunset views you photographed are to die for. They are absolutely beautiful. I especially love the one with the reflection of the trees in the water. That needs to be framed. Wowsa - that camera really rocks!

I loved your last Disney update. Timmy on the mini monorail at the Orlando airport cracked me up! Leaving is always so sad, but you guys really had a nice family trip. I really enjoyed reading your TR. It made me laugh and cry and just reflect on all the good times of a family trip. I hope you are able to secure BLT for next years trip.

BTW - my girlfriend and I are staying in a BLT studio. Do you think it will be adequate room? It's only 4 nights, so I think it will be fine. Is it true that the BR doors don't close all the way?

Thanks for posting the OB pictures and telling about that trip. I think once you start writing about Disney trips, all trips become fun to write about. You guys did some serious cooking. My mouth was watering. We still have to plan menus for our upcoming trip, but I doubt I will be quite as adventurous as you in the cooking department. Its just something I never really got good at.

So....22 more days????? I feel like I have so much to do before I leave, but I think I finally have all the child care arrangements nailed down. That's a huge load off my mind. It's just hard to go away when you know you have a kid who can drive. I always worry about him getting into an accident, but I will doubly worry about it when we are not here. For all the Dis moms who have non driving kids - consider yourself lucky! I wonder if I will ever get used to it.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 04-13-2010, 06:14 PM   #401
praisehisname
DIS Veteran

I'm really enjoying reading about your Spring Break trip! We love OBX, especially Duck, but we've driven through Corolla and admired the houses there.

07/87 DLR***05/98 All-Star Music***01/04 Polynesian/4-night Wonder***02/05 7-night Magic Eastern***
09/07 Beach Club***10/08 7-night Magic Special Western (double-dipping at Castaway Cay!!!)
***12/09 Pop Century***08/13 7 night Fantasy Western

Old 04-14-2010, 07:47 AM   #402
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiLovesWDW! View Post
Hahaha too funny!

And how about Alice? It's playing at the Rialto......not sure how much longer it will be out.
Could we go this weekend? We have baseball on Saturday, but I might be able to do it at some point. Next weekend we have back2back funraisers Fri & Sat nites. Let me know when you are free-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
http://www.vrbo.com/177744

Hi Ellen:

I posted a link to the VRBO listing in Corolla that we are renting this summer. Maybe you can tell from the location if its close to where you stayed. Sounds like it might be.

Those sunset views you photographed are to die for. They are absolutely beautiful. I especially love the one with the reflection of the trees in the water. That needs to be framed. Wowsa - that camera really rocks!

I loved your last Disney update. Timmy on the mini monorail at the Orlando airport cracked me up! Leaving is always so sad, but you guys really had a nice family trip. I really enjoyed reading your TR. It made me laugh and cry and just reflect on all the good times of a family trip. I hope you are able to secure BLT for next years trip.

BTW - my girlfriend and I are staying in a BLT studio. Do you think it will be adequate room? It's only 4 nights, so I think it will be fine. Is it true that the BR doors don't close all the way?

Thanks for posting the OB pictures and telling about that trip. I think once you start writing about Disney trips, all trips become fun to write about. You guys did some serious cooking. My mouth was watering. We still have to plan menus for our upcoming trip, but I doubt I will be quite as adventurous as you in the cooking department. Its just something I never really got good at.

So....22 more days????? I feel like I have so much to do before I leave, but I think I finally have all the child care arrangements nailed down. That's a huge load off my mind. It's just hard to go away when you know you have a kid who can drive. I always worry about him getting into an accident, but I will doubly worry about it when we are not here. For all the Dis moms who have non driving kids - consider yourself lucky! I wonder if I will ever get used to it.
16 days for me! Two weeks from Friday-

Your house looks great! You are north of where we were- you are just past the lighthouse- probably right near the breakfast place (Big Mama's) with an egg on everything. When you drive there, and see the minigolf grass course on the left, we were on the street right behind that.

Thanks for all the compliments on the TR, I am glad you liked it! I think 2 people in a studio is fine- remember, we had 4 in AKV last year and THAT was tight because of luggage- but it was only a few nights. Not sure about the bathroom doors, but I think there is a space. I can think of worse things, anyway, it is a great place to stay. I hope we can book it for next year, too!

The food we brought down to OBX we prepped as much as we could before we went- the pasta was leftover from my superbowl party and I had frozen it then (no one ate the pasta at the SB because everyone was hooked on the shortribs with mascarpone polenta I made, too). I just made additional sauce the night before we left, which I then kept half of home for Pods with pasta for him to eat while I was away. The skirt steak I marinated the week before by pouring the marinade over the meat in a huge ziploc, and then freezing.(I learned in a cooking class a long time ago that you can do this with any marinated meat). I also baked the brownies at home and froze them- in my house, we prefer our brownies frozen, anyway, and i think I got a bunch of converts on vacation! I thought everything would begin to defrost in the coolers on the way down, but it didn't happen, everything was still frozen solid and needed to be defrosted on Sunday. I usually hate cooking on vacation, but this time I really enjoyed it- good practice for Thanksgiving in Tennessee with Pods' family- I'll be bringing the whole meal down from NJ pretty much on that trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by praisehisname View Post
I'm really enjoying reading about your Spring Break trip! We love OBX, especially Duck, but we've driven through Corolla and admired the houses there.
Hey stranger!! Nice to see you! I really would love to stay in Duck sometime- it looks like there is so much to do! And SOOOOO many more restaurants, not to mention being half an hour closer! Is there a particular area or development you would reccommend?
Old 05-12-2010, 09:06 AM   #403
podsnel

DISMOM TR has begun!! Here's a link-

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post36619012

Hope you'll join us!! It was a hilarious vacation, we can't wait to tell all about it...well...kind of....
Old 05-12-2010, 01:02 PM   #404
praisehisname
DIS Veteran

Heading over!

07/87 DLR***05/98 All-Star Music***01/04 Polynesian/4-night Wonder***02/05 7-night Magic Eastern***
09/07 Beach Club***10/08 7-night Magic Special Western (double-dipping at Castaway Cay!!!)
***12/09 Pop Century***08/13 7 night Fantasy Western

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: