Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2010, 10:27 AM   #136
tinytreasures
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
I'm sorry about your meltdowns, they are painful for everyone. But, oh...I hope you DO try again someday!! I know it is soooo scary, but I think it's always ggod to try- because if it does work out- well, there's just nothing better! Sean did have a rough time adjusting to HRH- but he was fine with it after this night, so it was all, without question, worth it. Please keep me posted!!
we plan to go back (we have 2 more kids that can gets wishes down the road )
Avy has already said her wish is to go back to Give Kids the World
next time we will be better off since both boys are now on the right meds and life if so much better here everyday
we are waiting for everyone to get a little older to go back again
Old 01-15-2010, 02:47 PM   #137
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

The Simpson's Ride ROCKS!!!

The morning came...and Sean woke up, his usual happy, noisy, laughing self! What a relief, to have Happy-Sean back!! So we were going to go ahead as originally planned- get our great big 'ol butts outta bed and spend a 1/2 day in Universal, come back to HRH for lunch and swimming at the pool, then drive out to see Aunt Irma for dinner. From HRH, you can either walk to the parks or take a boat. Pods wanted to take the boat, so that's what we did.

Look who's happy!

The new coaster,Rip Ride Rockit!

Arriving at the park, crowds seemed to be pretty minimal. We had a pass because we were staying on-site that allowed us to get into the "fast pass" line, all we had to do was show our room keys. However, we have always had a pass like this when we have come here because of Sean- Universal offers their equivalent of a GAC which serves the same purpose. There are a couple of rides Sean will always go on here, and thankfully, that had not changed. We rode Jimmy Neutron & Shrek 4-D. Both are some of my favorite rides EVER!! They combine 3-D with special effects (like Mickey's Philharmagic) but take it one step further because the seats themselves move. It's really a lot of fun, and you totally walk out of both thinking How do they do that? The wait time for RRR was nearly 2 HOURS, and there are no passes allowed on this ride!!!! Which is really sayin' something, because the park was soooo empty. I guess it was empty because everyone was on line for RRR! Tyler & Pods were really anxious to try it- I told them their best bet was to try to be at "rope drop" or whatever it's called here and run right for it.

We walked on...

Because we couldn't wait to hit the Simpson's Ride which was on the opposite side. It had opened between our last visit and this one, and we were REALLY looking forward to it! But before we even got there, we spotted...The Simpsons!! With a line of TWO PEOPLE!!!!

I love that picture! Timmy had something to say to Bart-

After that, we walked over to ride The Simpsons! Sadly, Sean wouldn't go on, so Pods waited with him outside.

That ride was INCREDIBLE!!!! Totally worth the wait (which was about 20 minutes). Then Tyler was dying to get Timmy to ride the Mummy, which Timmy was feeling a little apprehensive about- but they talked him into it! Sean and I waited outside, Sean running around in the "park" in "NY" across the street.

We had only planned to stay in the park til lunchtime, because we really wanted to have lunch and go for a swim in the HRH pool.

This time, we walked back. The landscaping is very pretty!

A nice clean room!

Soon we were on our way to the beachclub for lunch....and some of the world's BIGGEST & BEST nachos!!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2010, 03:17 PM   #138
CRdisMom
DIS Veteran

wow from that perspective you can see how small the room was. Yikes all 5 of you fit in there?

Old 01-15-2010, 04:09 PM   #139
NikkiLovesWDW!
"Are you seeing an increase in lateral forces?" "Sure am!"

It's so weird seeing pictures of Universal. I haven't been there since 1999 and only then it was because I went with my high school choir and that was just what the itinerary was. A group of us spent most of that day in "Finnigans" listening to the keyboard player and snacking on aps! Not even sure that place is still there, I'm sure the parks is completely different. IOA wasn't even opened yet.

Do you get that same "feeling" that you get in WDW? I bet not but I guess it's fun to try new things. My theory is always that my park days are already paid for. (We have APs but even if we got MYW tickets, do have one less day only saves us, what, $5?) I can't justify leaving a place I KNOW I'm going to have a godo time at AND I already paid for to go somewhere unfamiliar and spend more money! That will have to change when they open The Wizarding World of Harry Potter though! I'm just going to have to suck it up because we are NOT missing that!
Old 01-15-2010, 04:43 PM   #140
MEK
DIS Veteran

Ellen -

Can I just tell you that this update made me really want to go back to Universal Studios. I have about 7 Disney trips (possibly more) since I've been there. I think the last time was when Nick was entering 4th grade. It really is a fun place. I think the problem is, its basically a two ( or three at the max) day park. And its not Disney. And you can tell the difference, which makes is feel wierd.

I stayed at Royal Pacific and I do remember how lovely the walk was. I also remember running over to HRH and Portofino in the morning and how pretty it was there. They yelled at me for running through City Walk. Apparently that is a rule - even at 7:30am - NO RUNNING! What a drag. Anyway, I'm not so sure about the Rip, Ride, Rocket or whatever its called, but I do enjoy all the other coasters at IOA and I heard the Simpson's ride is great.

Great update. So glad that Sean is getting into the grove!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 01-15-2010, 06:49 PM   #141
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRdisMom View Post
wow from that perspective you can see how small the room was. Yikes all 5 of you fit in there?
Yep! Pods' special bed was under the window!

I am having trouble multi-quoting again, so back to one at a time!
Old 01-15-2010, 06:58 PM   #142
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytreasures View Post
we plan to go back (we have 2 more kids that can gets wishes down the road )
Avy has already said her wish is to go back to Give Kids the World
next time we will be better off since both boys are now on the right meds and life if so much better here everyday
we are waiting for everyone to get a little older to go back again
So, so glad to hear you say that!! What happens at Give Kids the World for Avy?? I have to say, I just started your PTR for Jason's wish- WOW!!! You are an INCREDIBLE FAMILY!!!! So happy that the boys are getting the right medicine- what a weight off of your shoulders!!

I'm really looking forward to reading your links!
Old 01-15-2010, 07:25 PM   #143
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiLovesWDW! View Post
It's so weird seeing pictures of Universal. I haven't been there since 1999 and only then it was because I went with my high school choir and that was just what the itinerary was. A group of us spent most of that day in "Finnigans" listening to the keyboard player and snacking on aps! Not even sure that place is still there, I'm sure the parks is completely different. IOA wasn't even opened yet.

Do you get that same "feeling" that you get in WDW? I bet not but I guess it's fun to try new things. My theory is always that my park days are already paid for. (We have APs but even if we got MYW tickets, do have one less day only saves us, what, $5?) I can't justify leaving a place I KNOW I'm going to have a godo time at AND I already paid for to go somewhere unfamiliar and spend more money! That will have to change when they open The Wizarding World of Harry Potter though! I'm just going to have to suck it up because we are NOT missing that!
i don't know about Finnegan's, but there's a Pat O'Brien's. Maybe that was once Finnegans? I think they have changed a LOT since you were last there!!

No- I do not get that "feeling"- I'm guessing you mean the one where you are tingly-giggly-happy from head to toe? - in Universal. But it IS nice. And it IS fun. And beautiful. And the employees are very helpful. And the rides are really, really great- very different from Disney. There is some theming on some of the rides. I have not even gotten to IOA yet with you, and the Spiderman ride is without a doubt one of the best rides I've ever been on. And it has GREAT theming. The $99/week deal is fantastic, too. You should buy your tickets at that price now, if you can, to save them for when Harry opens, if you're dying to go. And when you're there, and you're stressed 'cuz it's new...just keep singing to yourself-

"Make new friends, but keep the old...one is silver and the other gold!"

The hardest part of the whole thing, when you're Disgeeks like us, is getting over the, "But I'm sooooooo close! WDW is riiiiiiiiight there!" problem!
Old 01-15-2010, 07:31 PM   #144
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Ellen -

Can I just tell you that this update made me really want to go back to Universal Studios. I have about 7 Disney trips (possibly more) since I've been there. I think the last time was when Nick was entering 4th grade. It really is a fun place. I think the problem is, its basically a two ( or three at the max) day park. And its not Disney. And you can tell the difference, which makes is feel wierd.

I stayed at Royal Pacific and I do remember how lovely the walk was. I also remember running over to HRH and Portofino in the morning and how pretty it was there. They yelled at me for running through City Walk. Apparently that is a rule - even at 7:30am - NO RUNNING! What a drag. Anyway, I'm not so sure about the Rip, Ride, Rocket or whatever its called, but I do enjoy all the other coasters at IOA and I heard the Simpson's ride is great.

Great update. So glad that Sean is getting into the grove!
No, it's not Disney. Sometimes I wish it was somewhere else- it's own destination- maybe I would be more excited about going! I do like it while I'm there- I just hate being in Orlando and NOT being in WDW!!!!

It's really a DISease, isn't it awful???

Ok- NO RUNNING at Citywalk- and NO BIKING at DTD! See? Big Brother is watching everywhere!!
Old 01-15-2010, 07:40 PM   #145
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It's really a DISease, isn't it awful???
It is a DISease and I've Got it.....BAD!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 01-15-2010, 07:45 PM   #146
Mysteria
MINDFREAK!
I'll release my inner felon on his butt if I get soaked by rain and bumped by pushy people
Make wishes on folded up chips

Here comes the poop tag

Location: They couldn't fit chemical and oil refinery state on the license plates

Sorry about the meltdown. Your younger two seem to handle it so well. You should be a very proud mama for the great job you do with all of them!

No FoL for RRR even for onsite guests?! I'll bet that's caused them some grief. It was quite finished last time we were there. Hopefully by the time we go back the lines won't be as long.

eta: That should have read wasn't quite finished.

Last edited by Mysteria; 01-15-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:42 PM   #147
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
It is a DISease and I've Got it.....BAD!
I Know! That's why we're HERE!!!
Old 01-15-2010, 08:46 PM   #148
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteria View Post
Sorry about the meltdown. Your younger two seem to handle it so well. You should be a very proud mama for the great job you do with all of them!

No FoL for RRR even for onsite guests?! I'll bet that's caused them some grief. It was quite finished last time we were there. Hopefully by the time we go back the lines won't be as long.
I think they're kind of used to it- they're probably the calmest ones in the room when it's going on!! Thanks for the proud mama thing, but not so today- they were having their OWN meltdowns today- UGH!!!

Yea- no FoL for anyone- only tippee top VIPs, from what I hear from a friend....who can name herself if she wants to!
Old 01-15-2010, 09:36 PM   #149
Mysteria
MINDFREAK!
I'll release my inner felon on his butt if I get soaked by rain and bumped by pushy people
Make wishes on folded up chips

Here comes the poop tag

Location: They couldn't fit chemical and oil refinery state on the license plates

Quote:
I think they're kind of used to it- they're probably the calmest ones in the room when it's going on!! Thanks for the proud mama thing, but not so today- they were having their OWN meltdowns today- UGH!!!

Yea- no FoL for anyone- only tippee top VIPs, from what I hear from a friend....who can name herself if she wants to!
No kid (or most adults for that matter) won't have a meltdown now and then. Hope it's all calm now.

Hmmm interesting. I wonder if they've done that for any other big openings.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:57 PM   #150
preschoolmom
DIS Veteran

Hi, I found your trip report tonight, and I read the whole thing! I'm really enjoying it. From the highs, to the lows (that meltdown, I can just totally imagine being there - maybe because mine did that in AK on our trip).

Anyway - It's just the perfect mix of happy, stress, alcohol, pictures, and thanks for sharing it all!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: