Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Weddings and Honeymoons > Planning our Happily Ever After
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2010, 04:44 PM   #31
rachy
Mouseketeer

We also had a similar reaction from my family and DF's family, however we did tell them before sending out invites. My dad was like, " are you going by yourself then" i said, "well i would like you to walk me down the aisle!" lol

DF's family were not happy about our wedding destination and in their words "we will go because we feel like we have to"

People do not share our excitment for Disney, god knows how you can't!

Rachel
x

rachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:05 AM   #32
tinkandonaldfans
DIS Veteran

well its not like they don't like where we are getting married its just like they're not excited about me getting married full stop!

regardless of where we are getting married I would have thought I would have gotten a phone call to say how exciting it was that we have picked a date and getting an invite etc.

but nevermind i will think happy thoughts and move on! i am going to accept that this is a temporary blip and that it will be smooth sailing from here on!

Our Disney Wedding Planning Journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2346010
tinkandonaldfans is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2010, 10:56 AM   #33
*Pixiedust1438*
DIS Veteran

Sorry to hear everyone wasn't as excited as you hoped for. As long as you are DF are excited that's what really matters! I hope everything turns around from here and you have a wonderful time planning!
89'Polynesian 91'Caribbean Beach/Polynesian 95'Polynesian 99'BeachClub/Polynesian/Contemporary 00'Polynesian 02'Caribbean Beach 05'Contemporary 06'All Star Sports 08'All Star Movies 09'Disney Wonder 10'Pop Century 11'Grand Floridian/Wilderness Lodge & Wedding
13'All Star Movies
*Pixiedust1438* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:29 PM   #34
Thumper4me
Planning my next trip

I understand your disappointment. I got similar reactions from my family. I have also been living with my fiance for the last four years. So, the only thing I can think is that they are all saying "It's about time!"

I guess after that much time together, it doesn't surpise people.

Have fun and enjoy your time.

Kelly
Thumper4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:34 PM   #35
pink_tink8i8
DIS Veteran

sorry to hear the future family didn't take your plans too well

pink_tink8i8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:14 PM   #36
ChocoKat
Is there a 12 step program for Disney Addicts?

Aww! Don't loose hope, they will come around to it.
When I first told my own family about our VR it fell completely flat.
You could have heard a pin drop... even crickets were embarrassed to make any noise.

Their attitude was so "Blah" or even "Huh?" it really hurt my feelings. But then as time passed and I got to talk to them more about it they started to get more into it. Granted sometimes they still aren't quite "there" yet, which puzzles me because we are doing this because they weren't there when we first got married ten years ago but I decided to stop worrying and fussing about it and let them wrap their brains around it on their own time.

Just keep talking to them and always have a positive attitude when you bring it up, try and make your enthusiasm contagious and let them know how very happy you will be to have them there.

My DH's family on the other hand is all up for it, but they love a good party

Don't worry! It will be ok
ChocoKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:20 AM   #37
tinkandonaldfans
DIS Veteran

thanks everyone! glad to hear i'm not the only one!

i'm over my little bride tantrum now so hopefully nothing will set it off again!

Its been a few days since everyone apart from my dad got their invites and its just dawning on me how tricky this whole thing will be to try and organise.
The wedding at the moment seems like the easiest part and its getting 14 people to be all in one place that i think will prove to be tricky!

Everyone has such different plans and budgets so far that eloping is becoming quite appealing.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:53 AM   #38
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

A lot of brides have had the same reaction.

Organising your family will be so so so much harder than organising the wedding and I speak with recent experience. It is really important that you know this now so it doesn't stress you out later. Sadly they just won't be excited as you are and will do things when they want to. My family were great and did what I told them when. But DHs did not. And friends did not. However your wedding will still be wonderful though. Mine was the best day of my life.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:24 PM   #39
Kimmers127
DIS Veteran

Some of my DF's family is not thrilled with the concept of a Disney wedding either - grumbling about inconvenience and cost and not being that into Mickey - but I think they will come around in time, and I'm positive they'll have a great time once they get there! My family is excited - I get my Disney obsession from my mom!

I feel really strongly that you can't please everyone, and no matter what you do some people will complain/be unhappy. So just do what makes you and your DF happy - it's YOUR wedding!

That said I will also be annoyed if my STDs don't generate some phone calls! Especially if I design them myself! Do you have a pic of yours?

Engaged in Animal Kingdom 9/19/09! Married in Walt Disney World 5/09/11!

Kimmers127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:16 AM   #40
tinkandonaldfans
DIS Veteran

I will post a few pictures of the std's shortly

Old 02-12-2010, 09:30 AM   #41
Eeyore's Tailfinder
DIS Veteran

Hi there!

I just stumbled onto your PJ now - Congratulations! It's great to see another UK Bride on the board. I've made some great friends with the UK Brides here

Can't wait to see the STDs! Everything sounds great - you will love DCL. We're also going back for our honeymoon, we loved it so much first time around!

Do you have Facebook?

Disney Wedding ~ 11th Aug 2010 ~ WP/Sonoma/Napa/Whitehall DP

Nov 1999 - DLRP (Offsite) Jan 2006 - DLRP (Magic Circus) Jan 2007 - DLRP (DreamCastle) Aug 2007 - WDW (21 Nights: Sheraton Studio City, Universal's RPR, ASMo) Jan 2008 - DLRP (Hotel Santa Fe) Aug 2008 - WDW (21 Nights: POFQ & POLY CL) & 4-Night Bahamian DCL (Disney Wonder) June 2009 - Cheeky Trip Offsite (10 Nights: Wedding Site Visit) Aug 2010 - Our WDW Wedding & Honeymoon (23 Nights: Wilderness Lodge, Grand Floridian RPC MKV, Sheraton Four Points Sinatra Suite, Universal RPR, 4-Night Bahamian Disney Wonder, AKL CL SV & Contemporary CL MKV) May 2011 - Last Minute Early Anniversary & DH B'day Trip (14 Nights: Pop Century) Jan 2013 - Last Minute Birthday Trip (14 Nights: Pop Century) Sept 2014 - Trip with Friends (24 Nights: Fairfield Suites Seaworld, Universal RPR, Westgate Palace, Old Key West, 5 days Atlanta, Art of Animation)

DINING REPORTS: Aug 07: We Ate WDW COMPLETED! Aug 08:Don't Tell Me How To Eat Donuts
Eeyore's Tailfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 03:47 AM   #42
tinkandonaldfans
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore's Tailfinder View Post
Hi there!

I just stumbled onto your PJ now - Congratulations! It's great to see another UK Bride on the board. I've made some great friends with the UK Brides here

Can't wait to see the STDs! Everything sounds great - you will love DCL. We're also going back for our honeymoon, we loved it so much first time around!

Do you have Facebook?
thanks for joining! I am sooo excited about the cruise, especially now its booked!

i am on facebook so i will have keep an eye out for you!

Old 02-14-2010, 09:45 AM   #43
gemmybear83
I would blame it all on Bob
Awww I love the first day
You could stay behind after your meal and have another drink

Hiya! I was in the same position a year ago when we announced we were getting married in wdw, I sent the save the dates and didnt hear much back. However once we booked out flights after Christmas everyone followed (well nearly everyone so far!) and they are all so excited now!

I have made a website with lots of weblinks and details which has helped to explain it all to people who have never been to wdw. I would totally recommend doing this as you can direct people where to book flights etc and it can be updated whenever you want. Mine is password protected so only my guests have access and I have a message board for people to share plans etc
Old 02-15-2010, 11:40 AM   #44
tinkandonaldfans
DIS Veteran

At the weekend I went and helped my friend who I'm a bridesmaid for try on her wedding dress that finally arrived. While we were waiting I had a look through some dresses and found something I quite like. Not sure how to post pictures from websites so here is the link for it.

http://www.maggiesottero.com/dress.a...60&style=A3407

I have never had a specific look in mind as I didn't want to get into a position of looking for something that didn't exist which happens on most of my shopping trips! But i had a few key ideas, i liked the softness of satin and wanted either strapless or simple straps (no halterneck for me). I don't like lace and wanted something simple and elegant but not too plain. Despite getting married in florida heat i said to myself that i will not be getting a dress that looks like i could wear it to dinner but nothing too big that i struggle to walk or sweat like a pig in!

I havn't started to look properly as I want to lose about 42lbs and am thinking of waiting for Dec/Jan sales! Would love to know what everyone thinks of my first contender!

Last edited by tinkandonaldfans; 02-15-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:52 PM   #45
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Beautiful dress. I'm not sure but I don't think wedding dresses follow the normal sales pattern so Dec/Jan might not be when they are on sale.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: