Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 10:26 AM   #391
BDL
DIS Veteran

My 1st trip to WDW, I was 10 and my sister was 6. Our folks took us here, and we had a blast. There was no Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach at this point. But we spent all day here, then saw the Hoop Dee Doo Revue without ever going back to the hotel. It was a long and fun day.

I still remember the cable pulley and all the cheesy jokes from the HDDR.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:10 AM   #392
♥Cleo
Earning My Ears

I think Walt would be turning in his grave. This needs to be fixed back to it's original design w/ some updates. River Country would be a blast for guests! It has a true Disney feeling about it. Every time I go to the backyard BBQ I wondered what River Country was like. I always tried to peek behind the fence. I NEVER would have expected it to be let go this badly! There is something about "originals" @ Walt Disney World that have so much more appeal than the new things that come out. It just needs to be fixed.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-17-2010, 07:14 PM   #393
Disney DieHard
Diamond Disney Member

Exclamation River Country ... Why it CANNOT Re-Open

Hey there Diz people ... I've been noticing here and on other boards I have visited that where this topic of River Country is there are always a few people who ask the question why doesn't Disney just clean-up and re-open the park. The simplest explanation is that they can't ... at least not without A TON of redesign ... such much so that it would be easier to demolish it and build from scratch.

I've made a short video that explains the reason for River Country closing and not re-opening. If you're interested I invite you to watch and if you have anything to contribute ... PLEASE DO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40BAY7LuCOo

THANKS!

Take Care & Be Safe!

Frank
Disney DieHard

Have A Magical Day!!!

Old 10-18-2010, 03:36 PM   #394
FloraFauna
DIS Veteran
I was really good at doing BIG hair

We watched your video, DisneyDiehard, and had no idea the background music is still playing. That is really creepy.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:28 PM   #395
Georgi Zhukov
Earning My Ears

Disney DieHard

Great job with your YouTube video DieHard. Not only did you concisely present the history and current state of the park, you also perfectly articulated the feelings and emotions of all River Country fans. I know the state of the old water park shocks most Disney fans but those of us that were lucky enough to go there when it was operational feel the sting that much more.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:49 PM   #396
LuvLuvLuv
DIS Veteran

those pictures make me tear every time.

some of my best disney memories are here... and going down the slides and falling into the pool. my parents would tell me it was time for a rest when my swimming turned to a tired doggy paddle. i would just swim to the stairs and get back in line over and over. i would have spent all day doing that rather than going to the theme parks.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:45 PM   #397
cindymouse6
"Remember, it all started with a Mouse!"

Cool River boat cptn info

Great video. We camped at Ft Wilderness April 2010 and the boat captain from the Ft to MK gave all the info you just stated and more. He stated that when TL opened and I believe BB, attendance levels dropped and due to low # guests RC could accomodate compared to TL and BB, they didn't see it feasible to install a newer filtration device for a park that had a low profit margin (low #guests=low revenue). Of course, bacteria problem, new laws,etc. of course in 2001 TL/BB didn't reach capacity. No longer true thus our quest for a 3rd waterpark.

With all the new resorts and DVC built on the lake, this would be a nice additional waterpark with access to lots of guests now. Forget the lake park --- keep the pools, slides, add some more, etc. I get frustrated going to TL/BB with the tons of people there and waiting in 30-60 minute lines to ride a slide. We are new to camping and are DVC members and would love for expansion of the campgrounds to continue! Eerie that the music still plays, the nightlights come on ... reminds me of Hollywood Tower.... that's it -- a ghost town waterpark! tie in Pirates of Carribean.... I think I'm onto something

New Years and marathon OKW 2013-2014; VGF April 2014; BCV July 2014; BLT Oct.2014
Old 11-04-2010, 02:02 PM   #398
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindymouse6 View Post
Great video. We camped at Ft Wilderness April 2010 and the boat captain from the Ft to MK gave all the info you just stated and more. He stated that when TL opened and I believe BB, attendance levels dropped and due to low # guests RC could accomodate compared to TL and BB, they didn't see it feasible to install a newer filtration device for a park that had a low profit margin (low #guests=low revenue). Of course, bacteria problem, new laws,etc. of course in 2001 TL/BB didn't reach capacity. No longer true thus our quest for a 3rd waterpark.

With all the new resorts and DVC built on the lake, this would be a nice additional waterpark with access to lots of guests now. Forget the lake park --- keep the pools, slides, add some more, etc. I get frustrated going to TL/BB with the tons of people there and waiting in 30-60 minute lines to ride a slide. We are new to camping and are DVC members and would love for expansion of the campgrounds to continue! Eerie that the music still plays, the nightlights come on ... reminds me of Hollywood Tower.... that's it -- a ghost town waterpark! tie in Pirates of Carribean.... I think I'm onto something
But if you remove the lake water you remove the lagoon, since all the slides dump you into that lagoon, the only thing that can be saved is the pool which would have to be rebuilt. The diving rocks would have to be removed and the the depth made shallower to keep people from diving.

As I have posted before RC would be an insurance nightmare today. At the pool they encouraged you to dive, the body slides dumped you into 8 feet of water and the tube slides were more of a inclined lazy river with pools where tubes could bump into each other.

The best we can hope for is some sort of RC inspired mini water park. That FW guests can go to.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:15 PM   #399
takeme2epcot
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
...the body slides dumped you into 8 feet of water...
I believe it was actually 6 feet of water...still kind of deep, but not so bad.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:25 PM   #400
cindymouse6
"Remember, it all started with a Mouse!"

I'd take a mini water park for Ft.W! I understand not much would be left, but do like the ambiance and the theming.

New Years and marathon OKW 2013-2014; VGF April 2014; BCV July 2014; BLT Oct.2014
Old 11-04-2010, 02:51 PM   #401
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeme2epcot View Post
I believe it was actually 6 feet of water...still kind of deep, but not so bad.
Yeah its probably closer to that depth maybe a little more. I'm six foot tall and I don't remember ever touching the bottom.

I think I over exaggerate the depth because of my last time there.

I've been to RC twice, once when I was 17 and once when I had two sons aged 8 and 7.

When I was 17 it was cool going down the slides, when I was a father its was like they are going to drown. I would have to thread water at the bottom and push them towards the ropes.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:33 PM   #402
TJM1976
DIS Veteran

The max depth of the fresh water (chlorinated) pool was 10 ft at the end where the slides dropped into the pool. I looked through some pics that another DisBoard member posted and saw 10ft painted on the edge of the pool.

Last edited by TJM1976; 11-04-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:17 PM   #403
takeme2epcot
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJM1976 View Post
The max depth of the fresh water (chlorinated) pool was 10 ft at the end where the slides dropped into the pool. I looked through some pics that another DisBoard member posted and saw 10ft painted on the edge of the pool.
Yes, I believe you're right about that.

I was talking about the depth of the water where the body slides emptied.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:24 PM   #404
TJM1976
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeme2epcot View Post
Yes, I believe you're right about that.

I was talking about the depth of the water where the body slides emptied.

oops, my bad! I looked through more pics and found a sign that says 6ft for the body slides.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:08 AM   #405
caveat lector
Mouseketeer

Come on everyone. This thread is at 354K views. We are one interesting tid bit away from pushing the 400K level. That is some pretty rarified air on the Camping board, but I'm betting this thing still has "legs."
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: