Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 08:24 PM   #301
irunnoft
I'm What Willis Was Talkin' 'Bout!!!!

I didn't quite make it through all 21 pages of this thread, but I thought I'd post this on the off chance nobody has. Here's a link to a video of River Country from back in the day. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_ofV8vsk0U&NR=1
Old 03-16-2010, 10:10 PM   #302
Bill Brown
December Guest

Thanks for posting the video of the good memories. Something I didn't recall was that many of the water attractions relied on lake water. So that's why RC was shut down, deadly amoebas that breed in warm still water and normally enter human victims via the nose, mouth or ears and devour the brain, really. Sounds like one of those net-lore sci-fi fabrications, but a Dutch friend's 8-year-old son was infected and killed by an amoeba after playing in warm lake water in the Netherlands some years ago. Once infected, there is no cure for victims of amoebas.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-17-2010, 07:31 AM   #303
RocklandRVers
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Brown View Post
Thanks for posting the video of the good memories. Something I didn't recall was that many of the water attractions relied on lake water. So that's why RC was shut down, deadly amoebas that breed in warm still water and normally enter human victims via the nose, mouth or ears and devour the brain, really. Sounds like one of those net-lore sci-fi fabrications, but a Dutch friend's 8-year-old son was infected and killed by an amoeba after playing in warm lake water in the Netherlands some years ago. Once infected, there is no cure for victims of amoebas.
This has been the standard company line for many years. BUT my contention is if this is true then why are exceptions made for the Ironman and other similar events where participants swim in Bay Lake as part of the competition. I think Disney should come clean and admit they made a financial decision when Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach opened. RC was smaller, harder to get to which caused attendance to lag and it had become more expensive to maintain due to its age. Just my humble opinion which of course combined with $5.00 might get a cup of coffee.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:01 AM   #304
DisCamper
Just waiting for the next WDW trip

What I have read over the year of living in Florida that the amoebas only affect kids it does not affect adults that how Disney can have the competitions in Bay Lake.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:59 AM   #305
bigdisneydaddy
wife, kids, camper, beer, tickets. everything else is extras.
Has highly placed influential friends at FW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisCamper View Post
What I have read over the year of living in Florida that the amoebas only affect kids it does not affect adults that how Disney can have the competitions in Bay Lake.
I would be willing to bet that it also has something to do with the brackish water and the inability to see someone if they are struggling to swim. The likelyhood that you could find a drowning victim in the dark water is considerably less than pool water.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:49 AM   #306
916chipndale
You've got a friend in me It all started by a mouse

i remember river country i was about 5 when they took it out i almost drowned here lol
2005-Beach Club Resort
2007-All Star Movies Resort
2008-Polynesian Resort
December 2010-All Star Sports Resort
Old 03-17-2010, 10:56 AM   #307
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisCamper View Post
Also all the "Swimming" competitions are in cooler months. The amoeba I think lives in the mud and likes water over a certain temp.

So you don't have to worry about getting dunked into the middle of the lake while para sailing . Just don't stir up the bottom near shore where the water is warmer.

Better yet "Stay out of the dam lakes".
Old 03-17-2010, 09:33 PM   #308
Ziggie
Gets "ziggie with it" for Disney
The TF is inspired by Ziggie!!!
Winner of the "Who's been extra nice on the boards this week" Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by irunnoft View Post
I didn't quite make it through all 21 pages of this thread, but I thought I'd post this on the off chance nobody has. Here's a link to a video of River Country from back in the day. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_ofV8vsk0U&NR=1
You really should take the time to read all the pages ~ it's fascinating!

Old 04-07-2010, 06:48 PM   #309
BBQChick
Earning My Ears

so sad to see it in such a state. me and my husband went in 2008 with our son. We went to check out the old river country and it was wide open, I could have just walked right in...I didn't. I'm a boring 'follow the rules' type. I so wish I would have gone in.
As a side note I went to river country in 1998, when I was 17. I thought it was fun...until I rode the upstream plunge. As soon as i hit the water the top half of my bathing suit was nearly up around my neck! At least I gave the lifeguards something to talk about.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:32 PM   #310
Bill Brown
December Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQChick View Post
...As soon as i hit the water the top half of my bathing suit was nearly up around my neck! At least I gave the lifeguards something to talk about.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:20 PM   #311
mster425
Mouseketeer

aww, I found this thread because my mom kept talking about the water park we went to at Disney in 1988, and I kept thinking that TL wasn't open yet, so WTH was she talking about....

I remember the slides that only go halfway down the cliff! I was so scared to ride them but they were awesome! I'll see if I have pics at my parents to post.

Thanks for posting these!!
Offsite 02

Disneymoon 04/2009!!!! WL
Bubba's 30th Birthday/1st Anniversary Extravaganza at BC! 4/2010

Old 04-08-2010, 07:49 AM   #312
ldubberly
Mouseketeer

Let's think outside the box. I'm sure Disney could think of a way to block off the lake water and use only filtered water. The water would be clearer, cleaner, and free of the dreaded amoebas. In fact, it would look more like a lagoon and they could theme it around Peter Pan's mermaids.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:14 AM   #313
Disneylitch
DIS Veteran

You would think with all of the talented Disney Imagineers, they could have come up with something. Many of us have had great ideas, but maybe it's because we have the degree in common sense and not some higher level of learning. I guess we will have to bombard them with our ideas and see what happens. I'll see what contact information for the higher ups I can find.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:37 AM   #314
Ziggie
Gets "ziggie with it" for Disney
The TF is inspired by Ziggie!!!
Winner of the "Who's been extra nice on the boards this week" Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylitch View Post
You would think with all of the talented Disney Imagineers, they could have come up with something. Many of us have had great ideas, but maybe it's because we have the degree in common sense and not some higher level of learning. I guess we will have to bombard them with our ideas and see what happens. I'll see what contact information for the higher ups I can find.
I don't think it's fair to blame the Imagineers. We know all too well that the green light on projects comes from the "top". If the suits aren't interested in revamping RC, then it wouldn't matter how many great ideas the imagineers had.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:54 AM   #315
Disneylitch
DIS Veteran

You do have a point. I have had many castmembers tell me that the higherups listen to the guests before the castmembers. Kind of sad isn't it. It's the castmembers that talk to the guests and get their imput on the Disney experience.
Just like The Fort. The higherups thought converting almost all the loops to premium sites was the thing do because of all the big rigs. Did they ever walk around the loops and talke to the guests. Considering the outcome, probably not.
Who knows, maybe something good with come out of River Country. I certainly hope so. It was alot of fun.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: