Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 04:29 PM   #166
_Athena_
n00b!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpsMatt View Post
This is because they are swimming in deep water at the surface and are relatively safe. The protozoa live in the sediment at the bottom and when it gets unsettled (such as in shallow water by human feet) is when they become active. When people go underwater and don't plug their nose when the sediment has been unsettled, this allows a pathway for the protozoa to enter the body via the nose. Unfortunately, RC met about 3/4 of this criteria as the lake-water section had a natural sandy bottom.
Trust me 500 people running into and out of the lake in any given triathlon will stir up quite a bit of ick. Trust me- you swallow quite a bit of water and that 2.5 mile swim can take quite a bit of time! I wonder if any triathletes get sick? Hmm...
Old 12-26-2009, 03:03 AM   #167
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Athena_ View Post
Trust me 500 people running into and out of the lake in any given triathlon will stir up quite a bit of ick. Trust me- you swallow quite a bit of water and that 2.5 mile swim can take quite a bit of time! I wonder if any triathletes get sick? Hmm...
Don't the triathlons take place in the winter? The issue with the water only occurs when the water is warm - so in the winter there is pretty much no risk at all (other than hypothermia). That's another reason why shallow water is primarily all that is affected - it has a warmer temperature than the deep water.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-26-2009, 08:42 AM   #168
lhuggi1
There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow Starting At The End of Every Day...

Thank-you TCD, for someone who never got the chance to go to RC I appreciate seeing these pics! I wish I could have made at least one trip !

1999 - Best Western Orange Blossom Trail - WDW, 2001 - Quality Inn - I-Drive - WDW, 2004 - Caribbean Beach
2007 - Coronado Springs
, 2008 - La Quinta I-Drive - WDW
2009 - Coronado Springs, 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter
2011 - Coronado Springs, 2012 - Disney's Swan & Dolphin, 2012 - Pop Century
2013 - Pop Century, 2013 - UPCOMING Coronado Springs Free DP

boo'd by valenrandy!
Old 12-26-2009, 02:57 PM   #169
Sir Francis Drake
El Draque

Seems someone has beaten you guys to the punch in regards to Discovery Island.

The link is work safe, but some of the other pages on the site do contain artistic nudity if that sort of thing offends anyone:

shaneperez.blogspot.com/2009/12/discovery-island.html

You'll have to cut and paste as my post count is not high enough to link this...
Old 12-27-2009, 09:54 AM   #170
ynottony99
Ask me about the Mickey Waffles!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Francis Drake View Post
Seems someone has beaten you guys to the punch in regards to Discovery Island.

The link is work safe, but some of the other pages on the site do contain artistic nudity if that sort of thing offends anyone:

shaneperez.blogspot.com/2009/12/discovery-island.html

You'll have to cut and paste as my post count is not high enough to link this...
Thanks for the link. That guy is quite the explorer!! Such a covert night mission makes taking lots of photos difficult. It would be quite risky to make that trip in the daylight, but I would sure love to see lots more pictures!!

Old 12-27-2009, 10:29 AM   #171
_Athena_
n00b!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla4fun View Post
Don't the triathlons take place in the winter? The issue with the water only occurs when the water is warm - so in the winter there is pretty much no risk at all (other than hypothermia). That's another reason why shallow water is primarily all that is affected - it has a warmer temperature than the deep water.
May and September- I would label those months as 'spring' and 'fall'? The race starts and finishes on the beach @ Ft. Wilderness. BUT they do NOT allow anyone to have any 'practice swims' prior to race day. I would expect that is because all of the boat traffic and the need to lifeguard the area.

And hypothermia is not an issue- the lake is over 78 degrees, under 75 degrees water is 'wetsuit legal' in most USAT races.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:33 PM   #172
SandrA9810
DIS Veteran

Some race days have been cold, others warmer. But they have the option of the wet suit. And if you're not from florida, they're probably used to the colder lake temps. I remember swimming in a river in NJ, in the middle of summer and the lake temp was like 70 degrees.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:07 AM   #173
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

i already posted this on another disboard, but i thought you all would appreciate it as well...

this picture is of DS during one of our many visits to River Country, which continued to be our favorite of the Disney waterparks right up to its closing....

we all miss the ole swimming hole.....so much fun!

by the way, DS is now married, so it gives you an idea of how long ago this was..

Old 12-28-2009, 07:21 AM   #174
bellebookworm9
Future Au.D.

Wow. Like others have said, this is simultaneously really interesting and spooky. I've never been to River Country; I would have loved to see it back in the day. I used to have a Disney Sing-Along that was called "Campout at Walt Disney World" and River Country and Discovery Island were both featured in it. I may have to go to the library and find that video to compare the now and then....
Old 12-28-2009, 08:27 AM   #175
dizzi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family View Post
i already posted this on another disboard, but i thought you all would appreciate it as well...

this picture is of DS during one of our many visits to River Country, which continued to be our favorite of the Disney waterparks right up to its closing....

we all miss the ole swimming hole.....so much fun!

by the way, DS is now married, so it gives you an idea of how long ago this was..

Thats a great picture....
And makes the place look like it was a lot of fun.

Older photos are interesting to look at and see the changes....
In your photo seems all the boys swim trunks are loose fit and one solid color..would not be the same today....I just find those little things interesting

Would have to look back but i bet there are almost all one piece bathing suits as well.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:21 AM   #176
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

wow, these are amazing! congrats on the covert exploring! I was freaked out enough when my friend and I snuck into the Pop Classic years construction site a few years back!
Old 12-28-2009, 10:24 AM   #177
BradyBz12
1340.63 miles too far from the Fort

Thanks for sharing the GREAT pic, disneyholic family!

You know, I think what I'm coming to love best about this thread is that it's sparked people to share their past experiences and photos from RC. I never made it there as a kid, but always wanted to and love seeing what it was like in the day.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:26 AM   #178
poohj80
Got Hunny?

I never had the chance to visit River Country but DH has found childhood memories. Can anyone explain to me exactly where it was located? DH said he remembers it being on an island in Bay Lake but after seeing these pix, I don't know any of the islands are big enough.

Thanks for the help!

FINALLY found Snow White after she was MIA dealing with a strike at the mine all week
Old 12-28-2009, 11:03 AM   #179
BradyBz12
1340.63 miles too far from the Fort

It was actually located within the Fort Wilderness resort (not on an island). If you're looking at FW from the water, you'll see some walkways/docks off to the right covered in moss - that's the area. Or if you're at FW, follow the walkway to the right of Crockett's Tavern. If you keep walking past where the beach ends, you'll come to what used to be the entrance of RC.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:33 PM   #180
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohj80 View Post
I never had the chance to visit River Country but DH has found childhood memories. Can anyone explain to me exactly where it was located? DH said he remembers it being on an island in Bay Lake but after seeing these pix, I don't know any of the islands are big enough.

Thanks for the help!
Here is a map. It just to the left of the Hoop De Doo Revue label

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=river+...22724&t=h&z=16

Your husband may be thinking about Discovery Island (also on this map) which is another closed attraction.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: