Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 11:43 AM   #151
Phibbles
DIS Veteran

RC - circe 1979

Click a link to read one of my reports:
June 2011 PTR
*** August 2009 Trip Report *** August 2008 Trip Report
Old 12-22-2009, 11:48 AM   #152
RocklandRVers
Mouseketeer

Any of those kids get sick? I predict not.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-22-2009, 12:28 PM   #153
Born 2 Fish
I'D RATHER BE FISHING.

If you wonder about if the lake water is not safe for being in, it is my opinion that Disney just dont want you in the water for reasons other than its "unsafe".
Bacteria of many kind can grow in waters during summer months, HOWEVER you can do ANY water sports on the lake at Disney any time of the year if you want to put out the $cash to go ski, tube, etc. They will teach you how to ski if you have never ski'd before. I'm sorry darl'n, but ya gotta be in the water to learn to ski ! And again I say, they will teach you ANY time of the year if you are willing to pay the $cash.
It's not like the bacteria magically leaves when your in the water because you paid Disney.
It saves Disney a lot of money to not have to deal with or be responsible for people swimming in the water all the time, there are 5 different resorts on the lake, it would cost Disney a lot to have life guards etc.,,it is so much eaiser to go with the fland claim possible bacteria,,unless you wanna pay $ cash for someone to watch you,,like ski, etc.

Last edited by Born 2 Fish; 12-22-2009 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:13 PM   #154
autigger
Mouseketeer

Incredible pictures. Ironically, some reminded me of scenes from WALL-E.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:40 PM   #155
scot@dvcstore
Saratoga Springs Member

DISboards Approved Advertiser

Amazing photos but very sad.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:59 PM   #156
mollygirl13
DIS Veteran

TCD, thanks for posting the pictures!
Old 12-23-2009, 03:09 AM   #157
katiegel
Earning My Ears

Wow those pictures are amazing. I remember RC as a kid...not like that. It's amazing how quickly nature will overtake what we leave behind.

I haven't been to RC since I was a kid either (late '80s)...but - man - this makes me miss it! haha and I hated it - my parents LOVED it!

Thank you!
Old 12-23-2009, 02:07 PM   #158
shermpotter86
Earning My Ears

River Country

I am another who is both enthralled and appalled by the pictures. Went to RC only once back in 1978. Loved it. We also got to rent and drivve the mini-speedboats out in the Lake. It was awesome. Haven't been to either of the big new waterparks. Someday, I guess...

Greetings and Salutations!

Tom
Old 12-23-2009, 02:34 PM   #159
cathydwin
Mouseketeer

We enjoyed River Country way back when. It was hard to get to and took time just from the parking lot so that discouraged many people. Not as easy access as the other water parks.
For me personally, I don't care for lake water when murkey! I love the ocean or a pool where I can see the bottom or almost. Love the old pictures.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:09 PM   #160
Lyndria
Fort Junkie

I always regret not going when I had the chance. Thanks for the pictures!
Old 12-23-2009, 08:34 PM   #161
OpsMatt
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocklandRVers View Post
I too have heard about bacteria closing RC and the reason for no swimming in Bay Lake. I have to dispute this through mere logic however. The simple fact is that there is swimming allowed in Bay Lake. During Iron Man and similar competitions for example. Also when you do Sammy's Parasailing you get wet with lake water. If it was so dangerous would they risk people swimming in these events?
This is because they are swimming in deep water at the surface and are relatively safe. The protozoa live in the sediment at the bottom and when it gets unsettled (such as in shallow water by human feet) is when they become active. When people go underwater and don't plug their nose when the sediment has been unsettled, this allows a pathway for the protozoa to enter the body via the nose. Unfortunately, RC met about 3/4 of this criteria as the lake-water section had a natural sandy bottom.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:04 PM   #162
mitros
I'm not nuts, I just appear to be
86 miles from the magic
The Tag Fairy will retire when people don't want anymore tags or she's asked to, whichever comes first :)

You know what gets me more than anything? The plaque that recognized someone for some thing that they did, and it was just laying there in a heap of garbage....................
Old 12-23-2009, 09:45 PM   #163
SandrA9810
DIS Veteran

Disney's good at saying, If you pay us cash and sign this waiver from your death... then you can do whatever you want. But at the same time, isn't there an age limit on the Sammy sports?? Little kids are more likely to be affected by the bacteria than an adult that's active enough to do those sports.

Who knows what will happen. Disney found a way around the tree house protected land thing... maybe that's the case with River County/Discovery Island.

I wish I could've done that, but I hang around a bunch of chickens that aren't that willing to break rules.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:22 AM   #164
Lily & Giny's Mom
Mouseketeer

Hey OK I swear when I saw that live pic of yours that you were my big sister and the boy jumping in was my little brother. I only have video of the old river country. Maybe some pics I will have to look. Thanks for the picture. L&G's Dad.
Old 12-25-2009, 03:35 PM   #165
TheDisneySmith
Penguin Lover

OH HOW SAD

I have seen a few pictures of RC before.. But these show me just how bad it really is.

I made one trip there. May 1987 on my Disneymoon. Sadly NOT A PICTURE did I take. My 35mm had died on my first day at Disney.. which was also my first trip to Disneyworld. I guess I just thought I'd take pictures another time. By the time we went again... it was just too cold... then it closed before we ever got back with our kids.

If I thought I could get away with walking around there( and not getting Gator bit)I can't even imagine myself on ANY of the slides to look at it now.. but I was on most of them.

Thanks for sharing.

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: