Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2009, 07:07 PM   #106
MEK
DIS Veteran

OK - all up to date on the pics. I love the one of the "jewel encrusted" dinosaur (triceratops I think)!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 12-29-2009, 09:18 PM   #107
thecapells
Disney Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtr_angel View Post
I love your trip reports!

Happy Belated Birthday!

My husband and I were lucky enough to get CS at El Pirata y el Perico on our trip in August. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't spectacular either. My only complaint really is that they only had hard taco shells. I LOVE tacos, but I am not crazy about hard tacos. I'm not sure but I don't think it was open when we were there in March, or the previous June so I guess we got lucky last trip. On our August trip we were determined to eat at CS restaraunts that we had never eaten at before, and somehow managed to not have burgers or chicken nuggets the whole week!
The restaurants are usually a big part of our trip when we go as a family.
However, with me going solo, I was just hitting quick Counter Services.
Aside from that first night I did try some good ones though.
More on that later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnbu40 View Post
Nice pics of the trails! I agree that Dinorama doesn't fit in a Disney park! I wish they would change it and make something that is better suited!
Yeah, they could steamroll over that and turn it into the long awaited Beastly Kingdom.
Or even an Australia or something like that.
Anything is better than what's there.
Other than Dinosaur! it feels very un-Disney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessCaitlin View Post
Idk how I feel about Dinorama

After I read the back story about it, it sort of grew on me. Then again I also love Restaurantosaurus so maybe that's why I like it

You got some very good pictures I can't wait for the next post!
Never been to Restaurantosaurus so I can't weigh in there.
But even with the backstory, I have no love for Dinorama.
It just seems like the Imagineers gave up and invented the backstory to cover for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeko_33785 View Post
Nice updates. I've never noticed the Dino on the bench before. How funny!

You know, I actually kind of like Dinorama. It's not my favorite area of the park, but it's fun to check out every couple of trips. Nothing wrong with a little campy-ness every now and then.
I like campiness as much as the next guy.
But I like campiness with a more "Disney" feel to it like Pop Century.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipersmom View Post
Dinorama doesn't look like it "fits", I can see what you mean. It looks like something that should be a kid's area at Kings Dominion. The billboard comparison cracked me up..I have many fond memories of South of the Border, both there and seeing the signs on the way! Were Chester and Hester in a Disney movie or something? I'm clueless....
Nah, Chester and Hester were inventions of the Imagineers.
The backstory is along the lines of them trying to capitalize on the tourism that the Institute would bring in.
Like I said, very South-of-the-Border-esque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
I am trip report impaired as I try to read this without the benefit of pictures (at work), but I enjoyed reading your impressions of Dinorama. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I get the idea for the theming - it's supposed to look like a carnival - I get that, but sometimes it seems like a bit of an eye sore compared to everything else in the park. I think it served its purpose for awhile (before EE was built), but it seems like the area that would be most slated for a rehab.
Eyesore is a good description.
They could do so much more with that space.
Hopefully it will get its due soon...
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-29-2009, 09:20 PM   #108
thecapells
Disney Dad

Quote:
OK - all up to date on the pics. I love the one of the "jewel encrusted" dinosaur (triceratops I think)!
That one was just plain weird.
Like I said, the other dinos fit in with the Institute theme.
Lifelike and definitely seemed to belong.
That one was out of place - I didn't quite understand it.
So, of course, I had to take a picture of it!
Old 12-29-2009, 10:54 PM   #109
dtr_angel
You're really cute, but I have no idea what you are saying

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecapells View Post
The restaurants are usually a big part of our trip when we go as a family.
However, with me going solo, I was just hitting quick Counter Services.
Aside from that first night I did try some good ones though.
More on that later...

Yeah, they could steamroll over that and turn it into the long awaited Beastly Kingdom.
Or even an Australia or something like that.
Anything is better than what's there.
Other than Dinosaur! it feels very un-Disney.

Never been to Restaurantosaurus so I can't weigh in there.
But even with the backstory, I have no love for Dinorama.
It just seems like the Imagineers gave up and invented the backstory to cover for it.

I like campiness as much as the next guy.
But I like campiness with a more "Disney" feel to it like Pop Century.

Nah, Chester and Hester were inventions of the Imagineers.
The backstory is along the lines of them trying to capitalize on the tourism that the Institute would bring in.
Like I said, very South-of-the-Border-esque.

Eyesore is a good description.
They could do so much more with that space.
Hopefully it will get its due soon...
I agree, the restaurants are a big part of our trips as well! we have so much fun planning and making ADRs before our trip.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:38 AM   #110
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great
What a fun way to meet new folks and say howdy

Hey Mike,

Been MIA mostly lately. Busy holiday stuff, and our oldest is home from school. Trying to make the most of that.

Dinoland just doesn't do it for me. I really avoided it last time for the most part. If I get more than a day next time at AK, I may venture in to find the littler, more hidden things, if not that's ok too.

I'd have never guessed Dino. I'm just the opposite. Dino messes with my neck, but I LOVE me some BTMRR!

Old 12-30-2009, 09:14 PM   #111
thecapells
Disney Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by All7OfUs View Post
Hey Mike,

Been MIA mostly lately. Busy holiday stuff, and our oldest is home from school. Trying to make the most of that.

Dinoland just doesn't do it for me. I really avoided it last time for the most part. If I get more than a day next time at AK, I may venture in to find the littler, more hidden things, if not that's ok too.

I'd have never guessed Dino. I'm just the opposite. Dino messes with my neck, but I LOVE me some BTMRR!
Hope the holidays went well.
As for me, I've never been on BTMRR but I love Dinosaur!
The big adventure next trip will be my first attempt at Test Track...
Old 12-30-2009, 09:21 PM   #112
thecapells
Disney Dad

Big Blue World

I headed over to the Theatre in the Wild about 15 minutes before showtime.
Once again the paths were clear – everyone was still running towards Asia and Africa.

And a closeup

I got in the queue but there was no line so I began walking down the path.
At one point I looked up and there was the majestic Everest through the trees

And then I looked down.
All along the pathway leading towards the entrance to the Theatre in the Wild are small signs.
They each have a Finding Nemo character along with a slogan about taking care of the animals and the earth.
With no one waiting, it was easy to snap each one.

The doors to the theatre were open and it was almost entirely empty.
I grabbed a seat dead center in the front row of the upper section behind the sound equipment.
Talk about the best seat in the house!

I still had some time so I called the kiddies at home to say “Good Morning” and brag that I had such good seats.
The kids made me promise to take some video of the show.
So I did.
Starting with the opening – I love how the logo on the curtain is animated and the fish swim away to start the show.

The show was awesome as usual (it was the second time I saw it).
I love Mr. Ray and how they designed that character with the huge bike-like contraption.

And don’t forget one of the most surprising elements.
A ridiculously huge Nigel who looks like he can eat half of the audience!

I was also able to clip the finale of the Tank Gang’s song from the video I shot:

The show ended and I chuckled as the seagulls chanted “Bye Bye Bye Bye”.
Bottom line – definitely catch this show.
The lines for it later are insane so the first show is a nice recommendation.
In fact, I’m now debating changing my normal way to tour this park.
Since Everest is not on my list, I can run ahead and get Safari fastpasses and then meet the family in Dinoland.
The kids should be old enough for Dinosaur! next time around and then we can catch the opening show of Finding Nemo.
Then they can play in Boneyard (they love that) and we can cash in our fastpasses and grab a late breakfast at Donald’s Safari Breakfast.
Hmmmmm – I’ll have to explore that possibility.

But that’s for next trip.
Back to this trip, I figured the characters should be out by now so I headed back towards Dinoland.
Let's see who we can find!
Old 12-30-2009, 09:29 PM   #113
pipersmom
DIS Veteran

We're really looking forward to the shows at all the parks. Very cool pics of the Nemo show and signage. I'll have to remember that about seeing the first early show as our current plan has us leaving after lunch anyway!
Old 12-30-2009, 09:40 PM   #114
thecapells
Disney Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipersmom View Post
We're really looking forward to the shows at all the parks. Very cool pics of the Nemo show and signage. I'll have to remember that about seeing the first early show as our current plan has us leaving after lunch anyway!
Last trip, we tried a later show and it was "sold out".
We were hoping to leave after lunch as well but wanted to see the show.
So we had to wait around until the 3:15 show.
At least the kids got to play at the Boneyard for an extra 45 minutes.
But if you do go to a later show, get on line at least 30 minutes prior to showtime.
That line grows really, really fast!
Old 12-31-2009, 05:36 AM   #115
dawnbu40
DIS Veteran

Isn't Nemo a great show?! I totally agree that doing the first show is the way to go! When it was just Caitlin and I last Dec. she hit EE while I got safari FP and we met up at Dinosaur and after that ride caught Nemo. It was a great plan! Your pics are wonderful! I bet the kids were jealous!

Happy New Year to you and your family!

Old 12-31-2009, 05:41 AM   #116
MEK
DIS Veteran

I love the Nemo show! Definately on my list of "must - dos" at the AK. I have seen in 4 times and the production quality never ceases to amaze me! it!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 12-31-2009, 08:14 AM   #117
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great
What a fun way to meet new folks and say howdy

I cried like a baby when I saw Nemo. What a touching story, and a fantastcally beautiful way to portray it.

I didn't notice the little signs along the way. A good reminder to pay more attention!

Old 12-31-2009, 12:59 PM   #118
thecapells
Disney Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnbu40 View Post
Isn't Nemo a great show?! I totally agree that doing the first show is the way to go! When it was just Caitlin and I last Dec. she hit EE while I got safari FP and we met up at Dinosaur and after that ride caught Nemo. It was a great plan! Your pics are wonderful! I bet the kids were jealous!

Happy New Year to you and your family!
I think the problem is that the plan only works for non-EMH days.
The first Nemo show is usually around 10.
For EMH, we could get to Dinosaur by 8:20 or so (depends on how fast I ran to the Safari and back).
We'd need something to do before Nemo and I don't think Boneyard is open that early.

Quote:
I love the Nemo show! Definately on my list of "must - dos" at the AK. I have seen in 4 times and the production quality never ceases to amaze me! it!
Yup - great show!

Quote:
Originally Posted by All7OfUs View Post
I cried like a baby when I saw Nemo. What a touching story, and a fantastcally beautiful way to portray it.

I didn't notice the little signs along the way. A good reminder to pay more attention!
Disney is all about the little things!
Old 01-02-2010, 08:48 AM   #119
meeko_33785
Surrounded by characters

Nemo has to be one of my favorite shows at Disney, probably of all time (which is a little surprising to me since Finding Nemo wasn't one of my favorite Disney films, but that's another story). The show is so well done. I'm impressed you managed to get such good seats just 15 minutes before showtime! Last time I saw it, we waited 45 minutes for pretty much the same seats you had, but that was in the summer on the busiest day I've ever seen at AK.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:04 PM   #120
WrightFamily06
DIS Veteran

Just joining back in after a long & fun trip back home for the Holidays !

Philharmagic is by far my favorite WDW 3-D film , must see every time

Great pictures of Exposition Hall , we have never checked that area out either , but have it on the list do for next time !

Love all your detailed pictures of Dinoland , I def have to agree with you the Chester & Hester area is soo cheesy .

Awesome Finding Nemo The Musical pic's & video , I always have so much trouble getting good photo's of that show, you must have the touch or a very good camera ! lol

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: