Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2010, 02:37 PM   #1
DisneyBelle27
DIS Veteran

Talking Practicing to be Parents - 6 nights at AKL:TR w/pics! UPDATED!! DAY 4 w/Harry Potter

Ok, this is my 1st ever trip report so here we go!

I'll start with our cast of characters:
myself - Katie (Left)
my DH - Dom (2nd from left)
our friends - Ben & Blair
their 17 month-old daughter - Emma

Now for a little background! Our trip was from 6/25-7/2/10 but we started planning it wayyy back in October so we had tons of time to build up our anticipation! And did we ever! We watched all the Travel Channel Disney specials, the planning dvd's, Disney movies, everything. Not to mention I made a countdown chain about 4 or 5 months before the trip...and let me tell you, it was looooong! This was my 10th trip to WDW and my DH's 5th or 6th (he's not really sure) and our 4th year in a row but I swear, with how excited we were you would have thought it was our 1st time! We are from northern New Jersey and were celebrating our 5th anniversary and our friends are from Georgia and it was their 17 month-old's first ever trip to WDW!

Now for the awesome part! We had originally booked this trip at Pop Century but 1 day I was on the Disney website and noticed they'd extended the 35% off Deluxe deal through our dates. So, I called Disney Reservations and transferred our reservation from Pop to AKL!!! I was so excited! We'd never stayed Deluxe before and thought it would be a while before we could afford it. Not to mention, AKL is the Disney resort I've ALWAYS wanted to stay at! My dream trip is an African safari so it makes sense AKL would be my dream Disney resort. I warned my DH that I would get very annoying in the couple months before our trip and I'm pretty sure I delivered on that promise! I probably mentioned the fact that we were staying at AKL to him at least twice a day for the month before our trip!

Alright, enough of this boring back story stuff. Next up will be Day 1: 11 hours of traffic, airports, and planes!

Dreaming of my next countdown ticker

My awesomely awesome first ever solo trip to the World trip report! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post46328869

Past WDW trips:'86 off-prop., '89 CBR, '94 CBR, '99 off-prop., '01 ASMusic, '01 CBR, '07 ASMusic, '08 PC, '09 3 nights POFQ, 4 nights Wonder, '10 6 nights AKL, '12 AS Sports w/ToT 10 Miler
Previous cruises: RCCL Enchantment of the Seas w/Metro Dance 11/08 (maybe you saw us perform in the theater!)

Last edited by DisneyBelle27; 07-21-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:04 PM   #2
lissiesmum
DIS Veteran

Yay Katie! Great start to your trip report! I actually did my first one about the Poly my last trip and once you get going, it just rolls along quickly! I can't wait to hear all about it and see some pictures. I've been planning our upcoming trip to AKL since March, and we aren't going until next April! I normally plan about six or seven months out, but found out our spring vacation falls during Easter next year so I'm on the ball and planning way far ahead for this trip! I look forward to reading along with you, and thanks for starting this! Gives me something to pass the time while waiting for our next magical dream vacation!
April 2011 - Easter at the Dolphin, Epcot fireworks view
February 2010 - Polynesian Resort, Tuvalu TPV
April 2009 - Polynesian Resort, Hawaii GV
September 2008, MNSSHP - Wilderness Lodge, Courtyard view

(me 41) (DH 41) (DD 8) (DS 10)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-08-2010, 08:23 PM   #3
tiggrbaby
We must work harder to stay under the radar for this oneWe always bring our own inflatable noodle

Looking forward to reading more!

DISboards 2104 Book Challenge: 20/40
DISboards 2013 Book Challenge: 36/35
Old 07-08-2010, 08:28 PM   #4
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

I'm here too Can't wait to read more
**September 2004 - Pop Century (first trip together)
**January 2007 - POFQ (Wedding Planning Trip)
**July 2007 - Contemporary (WDW Wedding & Honeymoon)
**Thanksgiving 2007 - Pop Century
**July 2008 - Grand Floridian, Coronado Springs Jr. Suite, Contemporary Club Level MK View
**July 2009 - Boardwalk Inn Deluxe Club Level
**July 2010 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (Savanna View)
**June 2012 - Dolphin (2 Bedroom Grand Suite)
**June 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room)
**July 2014 - Bay Lake Tower (2 Bedroom, Theme Park View)
Old 07-08-2010, 08:34 PM   #5
mermaid764
DIS Veteran

Joining in Can't wait to hear more

Old 07-08-2010, 08:35 PM   #6
lissiesmum
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRUAlmn View Post
SRUAlmn...a little over a week for you! We've been asking questions for about the same amount of time (but you get to go a lot sooner than me!) Will you be doing a trip report as well? And I forget, do you currently have a pool view or Savannah view? I'll be crazy busy the next week, so if I don't get to talk to you, have a wonderful trip!
April 2011 - Easter at the Dolphin, Epcot fireworks view
February 2010 - Polynesian Resort, Tuvalu TPV
April 2009 - Polynesian Resort, Hawaii GV
September 2008, MNSSHP - Wilderness Lodge, Courtyard view

(me 41) (DH 41) (DD 8) (DS 10)
Old 07-08-2010, 09:07 PM   #7
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissiesmum View Post
SRUAlmn...a little over a week for you! We've been asking questions for about the same amount of time (but you get to go a lot sooner than me!) Will you be doing a trip report as well? And I forget, do you currently have a pool view or Savannah view? I'll be crazy busy the next week, so if I don't get to talk to you, have a wonderful trip!
I know! All of a sudden it came up so fast I probably won't be doing a TR. It's a personal thing based on something that happened with a previous TR. We ended up with savanna view. I called quite a few times and there were no pool view rooms available, so I guess this is the way it was meant to be Thanks for thinking of me, and I'll be sure I can be around to do the happy dance for you too
**July 2008 - Grand Floridian, Coronado Springs Jr. Suite, Contemporary Club Level MK View
Old 07-09-2010, 09:29 AM   #8
DisneyBelle27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissiesmum View Post
Yay Katie! Great start to your trip report! I actually did my first one about the Poly my last trip and once you get going, it just rolls along quickly! I can't wait to hear all about it and see some pictures. I've been planning our upcoming trip to AKL since March, and we aren't going until next April! I normally plan about six or seven months out, but found out our spring vacation falls during Easter next year so I'm on the ball and planning way far ahead for this trip! I look forward to reading along with you, and thanks for starting this! Gives me something to pass the time while waiting for our next magical dream vacation!
Thanks! Yeah, I figure it'll go pretty quickly, I'm already writing parts of it in my head And just remember, sometimes all of that anticipation time can be fun too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggrbaby View Post
Looking forward to reading more!
Thanks! And welcome to my TR!

Quote:
Thanks for coming along!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid764 View Post
Joining in Can't wait to hear more
Thanks for joining in!

Alright, Day 1 should be up later today. I'm getting started on it right now!

My awesomely awesome first ever solo trip to the World trip report! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post46328869

Past WDW trips:'86 off-prop., '89 CBR, '94 CBR, '99 off-prop., '01 ASMusic, '01 CBR, '07 ASMusic, '08 PC, '09 3 nights POFQ, 4 nights Wonder, '10 6 nights AKL, '12 AS Sports w/ToT 10 Miler
Previous cruises: RCCL Enchantment of the Seas w/Metro Dance 11/08 (maybe you saw us perform in the theater!)
Old 07-09-2010, 10:02 AM   #9
DisneyBelle27
DIS Veteran

Day 1: 11 Hours of Traffic, Airports, and Planes

Ok, day 1 is totally a pleasure-delayer day since we don't actually get to WDW! Obviously there aren't really any pics so I'll just keep to the "highlights" (ha, yeah right) of this day. We live in northern NJ and I had some trouble finding airfare that didn't cost my arm and both of my legs. Originally, we were going to fly down very early Sat. morning but it would have cost $450/person Yeah, that wasn't happening! So, I had to book Fri. afternoon w/a layover in Atlanta. Booking that flight plus an extra night at the Hyatt that is in the Orlando Airport was still cheaper than flying early the next morning

Anyway, I say goodbye to our 2 kittens

and pick up my DH from work at noon and he makes a clean Keyser Soze getaway (sorry, couldn't resist the "Usual Suspects" reference). And like that, he was gone. Ok, sorry, I'm done. So we have to drive from Wayne, NJ over to La Guardia Airport in Queens, NY. Now, we like to get to airports really early (yeah, we're kinda paranoid) so we left at noon and our flight wasn't until 3:20. But, it being NYC, of course we hit traffic! Now I'm normally a very law-abiding driver but desperate Disney times call for desperate driving measures! So, I pulled a very exciting, daring, not to mention illegal, crossing of the median in 1 of those gaps in the guardrail for official vehicles so I could get from the basically stopped traffic I was sitting in to the lanes for the lower level of the bridge that were flying. Man, it was a close call! Once I did it I saw at least 1 or 2 people who had been pulled over for doing the same thing. We got lucky though! And I swear, I really don't normally do stuff like that!

So after all that stress and crappy driving conditions our flight ends up being delayed by an hour...of course. And let me tell you, La Guardia is probably 1 of the ugliest airports in the country...I mean seriously old, dated, and just overall blah. Not to mention there are hardly ANY shopping or eating options once you get through security. And to make it even better, our flight is overbooked...of course...and my DH and I have our seats split up.

We arrive in Atlanta and our friends, who live in Atlanta, end up at the gate directly across from ours! So we get to see them for about 15 minutes before they board. Of course they take off and our flight to Orlando ends up being delayed by an hour...yay. At least I got to sit next to my DH this time! We finally arrive in Orlando after 11. Blair and baby Emma are in bed of course, but we meet up with Ben in the lounge for a drink...which we definitely needed after that day...before heading off to bed. Man did it feel good to lie down! Only problem was, we didn't sleep very well because we were too excited for the next day! Oh well, you can't win!

And that concludes Day 1. Coming soon (later today probably) is Day 2: Universal Studios (no I'm not a traitor!!!) and checking in to AKL

Old 07-09-2010, 11:11 AM   #10
eecteacher82
DIS Veteran

Joining in! Can't wait to read more!
Old 07-09-2010, 02:11 PM   #11
DisneyBelle27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eecteacher82 View Post
Joining in! Can't wait to read more!
Welcome, and thanks for joining in!

Day 2 coming up soon!

Old 07-09-2010, 02:38 PM   #12
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

Man! What a long day of travel. After we moved to SC I was so excited that we could now DRIVE to WDW instead of fly. I don't really like flying to begin with, and after hearing horror stories like yours (and worse) I was glad we didn't have to bother with it anymore Sometimes the 6.5 hour drive is a little mind numbing, but hey, sometimes flights end up taking that long with delays, connections, etc... and now we don't have to worry about how many ounces of liquid we have or if we have room for all the souvenirs I want to buy
Old 07-09-2010, 03:31 PM   #13
DisneyBelle27
DIS Veteran

Day 2: A Trip to the Dark Side (*ahem* I mean Universal) and Checking In To My Dream Resort

Ok, before I get started on day 2 I figured I should give a brief explanation for the name of my TR. My DH and I will have been married for 5 years tomorrow but we are not planning on having a kid for at least another 2-3 years. However, our friends have a 17 month old and it's been a great learning experience for us (especially for my DH ) to see what it's like to have a kid. So we kind of viewed this trip as a little bit of experiencing what it's like to do WDW with a pretty young child, only with the benefit of being able to walk away from any tantrums and smelly diapers

Anywho, moving on. Day 2 we were up early at the Hyatt, had breakfast at the buffet restaurant and went downstairs so our friends could pick up their rental car. They had reserved a midsize SUV but when they got to the counter Blair decided they needed to go BIGGER. So, they ended up with a Suburban. And let me tell you, if you have never been in a Suburban or equivalent, it is a massive car! I swear, the back of it goes on forever! And thank goodness it beeps when you get too close to something while backing up, cuz you sure can't see all the way back that far!

So we hop in the car, after much loading of luggage and setting up of baby stuff, and head on over to Universal Studios. Now, I haven't been to the Studios since I was 16, similar for my DH, and our friends had never been. Now I will be the 1st to admit that I am a Disneyaholic to the core so my views might be a tad biased.

Universal is pretty nice but it's no Disney, at least not to us! The sets and buildings are cool to look at but you can see way too much of the 'backstage' areas which kinda ruins the effect. Not to mention, it's tough to compare with the quality of Disney's CMs.

I do have to say, whatever your views are on this practice (and I know they can get pretty heated), it was pretty hilarious seeing Emma on her 'baby leash.' And I don't blame Ben & Blair for using it! When she gets up steam she can certainly run!

We ate our lunch at Mel's Drive In,

and here is another area where Universal just doesn't compare to Disney. We had some of the MOST terrible burgers we have ever eaten! I mean, we're talking beyond hockey puck here. Pretty nasty! My DH and I did have some fairly decent funnel cake at the park, though, so not all the food is a lost cause.

We did Terminator 2:3D, E.T., Jaws, Disaster, and The Simpsons.

Some of these rides are really getting dated and I'm pretty sure you're supposed to be on some kind of mood-altering drugs to fully enjoy the part of E.T. where you return to his home planet. It's pretty psychedellic. Obviously, we didn't do all the rides (I really wanted to do the new roller coaster but the wait was too long and we needed to leave) but The Simpsons was by far the best of the ones we did. It's a simulator but you really feel like you're on a roller coaster!

gotta love the Blues Brothers

Overall, we were surprised how well little Emma did! No major meltdowns, although she did get pretty hot and tired, just like the rest of us! Boy was it hot!!! It didn't really feel like there was much shade in the park. Even our friends, who live in Atlanta, said it just isn't the same as that Florida heat.

So we leave Universal and drive over to AKL to get our rooms. We had checked in online exactly 10 days earlier (of course I was too excited to wait!) so check-in was a breeze. Now, we had booked a standard view and linked our reservation to our friends', who had booked a savanna view. I was told to only expect to be on the same floor because we had booked different room categories, and I was expecting to get to our room and see a parking lot out the window. So imagine my surprise when we get to our room and I see this out our window:

this poor Ankole Cow seemed to be permanently lopsided!

And, our friends were literally across the hall from us! Now, as you can see, our view wasn't perfect (not that I'm at all complaining!) because there was a fence down the middle of the savanna. I'm pretty sure we were looking at the corners of the main Arusha Savanna and the Uzima Savanna, and we saw most of the animals on AKL property from our room! It was pretty awesome, especially since it was 'free.' Here was our room.

It was a bunkbed room, on the 2nd floor, and it was pretty much at the very end of Zebra Trail, but I didn't mind since I was sooo happy just to be staying there!

We had dinner at The Mara and my chicken flatbread and butternut squash soup were very yummy! I would definitely recommend them!

Alright, that's all for now. Stay tuned for Day 3: DH's 1st Ever Ride on Space Mountain, and AK at night!

Old 07-09-2010, 03:34 PM   #14
DisneyBelle27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Man! What a long day of travel. After we moved to SC I was so excited that we could now DRIVE to WDW instead of fly. I don't really like flying to begin with, and after hearing horror stories like yours (and worse) I was glad we didn't have to bother with it anymore Sometimes the 6.5 hour drive is a little mind numbing, but hey, sometimes flights end up taking that long with delays, connections, etc... and now we don't have to worry about how many ounces of liquid we have or if we have room for all the souvenirs I want to buy
Oh wow, I'm jealous! I would have taken a 6.5 hour drive over our 11 hours of driving, airport sitting, and plane sitting any day! And seriously, I really resent having to pay just to get my suitcase on the plane!

Old 07-09-2010, 03:38 PM   #15
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyBelle27 View Post
Oh wow, I'm jealous! I would have taken a 6.5 hour drive over our 11 hours of driving, airport sitting, and plane sitting any day! And seriously, I really resent having to pay just to get my suitcase on the plane!
Seriously! That's just ridiculous!

Loved your last update It's making me excited for AKL!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: