Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2009, 07:18 AM   #1
kawing123
Mouseketeer

Is Disney really worth going during the holidays?Why?

Still debating whether to head out to the world for the holidays. Is it really magical or is simply another light display?
kawing123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:29 AM   #2
GoldieSaysMeep
DIS Veteran

There is NO WAY I would go to WDW during the actual week of Christmas and/or New Years. Overpriced & crowded. Yes, it is nice to go during December and see it snow on Main St and see the decorations, but go during the early part of the month, do not go during the actual holiday. You will probably hate it. I'm sure some people like it but... I don't get those people lol.
GoldieSaysMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-01-2009, 07:45 AM   #3
SalandJeff
Disney Addict x2
Likes a nice hot cup of tea

It is magical at Disney during the holiday season. However, as pp said, I would never go during Christmas week. If you can go at the beginning of December, crowds are small, prices are lower, and you still get all the lights, Candlelight Processional, parades, MVMCP, and holiday magic.

Me DH DD 10
SalandJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:49 AM   #4
DawnM
Dawn

Christmas is the busiest time at Disney. We went one year.....NEVER again! It is bedlam.

I still am trying to get a week in during January.....but Christmas? NO WAY!

Dawn

living with 4 boys (dh included)
DawnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:00 AM   #5
Rm3idm
Earning My Ears

We go to Disney at the beginning of December every year. It is truly magical. We've been during summer and spring break, but it is just not the same. Disney itself is a wondeful place, the holiday decorations is an added bonus...
Rm3idm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:15 AM   #6
sammi6
Walt Disney World is One of the Bare Necessities of Life!

I agree with previous posters. I absolutely love it during the month of December, I find it to be very magical and my kids love it. The parades are awesome and the snow on Main Street is just great and then the lights are on the castle are really beautiful. I try to go in December as much as possible, but I did make the mistake one year of going during New Years, not a good idea unless you like crowds. I had a good time still but I would never do it again.

sammi6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:30 AM   #7
Chicago526
Any dream will do...
I have the best NEW HUSBAND ever!
Clorox Toliet wands, I love these things!
"Hmmm...I have a cookbook."

I'm going to disagree. DH and I went the first week of Dec. in 2004. We had a great time, but I found myself just getting burned out on Christmas "stuff" after a few days. Especially the music. It was all Christmas music, all the time, even at the resorts. I missed the usual "soundtrack" of Disney, where the music changes between lands and each resort had it's own themed music.

I'm no Scroge, I love Christmas! But it was just too much.

The one thing that I did love, and is the ONLY thing that may tempt me back, was the holiday "tag" at the end of Illuminations. That was the most AWESOME fireworks display I've ever seen!!!!

Yes, I do know the difference between "there, their, and they're". However, often my fingers while typing do not.
Chicago526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:52 AM   #8
pearlieq
They can sit & spin
Imagine my shock when my cat slipped me the tongue
I've never been all that worried about getting cooties
I don't need chewy chunks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago526 View Post
We had a great time, but I found myself just getting burned out on Christmas "stuff" after a few days. Especially the music. It was all Christmas music, all the time, even at the resorts. I missed the usual "soundtrack" of Disney, where the music changes between lands and each resort had it's own themed music.
I felt similarly.

I've been in early Dec, mid Dec, and the week between Christmas and New Years.

As for the trip during New Year's Week--NEVER AGAIN! It wasn't my choice to go then (it was the only time my godchildren could go) and it was pretty much as awful as advertised. Crowds were awful and prices were sky-high.

For the early December trip, I wound up feeling a lot like the poster I quoted. We were there a week. It was nice for a couple of days, then it just started feeling like being at the mall. You stop noticing the Christmas decorations and I found myself really missing the themed music. There's not much difference between hearing "Jingle Bells" on Main Street and at Kohl's.

The best trip we ever did was mid-December. We were there for 3 nights to show my Mom the Christmas lights and it was just right. A short enough trip to appreciate everything without going into overload.
Your underpants!
~TSA 2010
pearlieq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:08 AM   #9
Golf4food
Mouseketeer
Male pirate last time I checked... yep, still male
Tazicket will always be my sexy penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldieSaysMeep View Post
There is NO WAY I would go to WDW during the actual week of Christmas and/or New Years. Overpriced & crowded. Yes, it is nice to go during December and see it snow on Main St and see the decorations, but go during the early part of the month, do not go during the actual holiday. You will probably hate it. I'm sure some people like it but... I don't get those people lol.
What they said.

We love WDW during Christmas time, but always go earlier in December to avoid the huge crowds closer to Christmas. We certainly find the World even more magical during the holidays.
Mar '14 - Offsite; Nov '13 - Offiste; Sept '13-Offsite; Apr '13-POFQ; Jan '13-POR; Dec '12-POFQ:Baby's First WDW Trip; March '11-Offiste; Nov/Dec '10-AKL/CSR; May '10-POR Pre-Dining Review-Dining Report; September '09-ASMu & DxDP Dining Report; December '08-POR; September '08-ASM; June '07-One day surprise park hopping extravaganza for DW; December '06-CBR; March '05-CBR; Many visits as a child

Golf4food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:09 AM   #10
BABY_EINSTEIN'S_MOM
DIS Veteran

Would anyone that has been during Christmas/New Years week like to say that they enjoyed it...please?? LOL
June 2009~2 week WDW-Cocoa beach extravaganza!/Windsor Hills
October 2010~Our 1st WDW MNSSHP/Windsor Hills
June 2012~ 2 week WDW(YES program)-Universal-Seaworld-Cocoa beach/Windsor Hills
June/July 2014~last minute 20th anniversary/4th July trip!!!
October 2014~MNSSHP and onsite at CBR!
BABY_EINSTEIN'S_MOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:13 AM   #11
hanutedmansionmomma
DIS Veteran

loved it so much we're going again this year!

hanutedmansionmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:53 AM   #12
BABY_EINSTEIN'S_MOM
DIS Veteran

Could anyone share why they did dislike Christmas week so much? Like, please describe the insanity, crowds, ride wait times, etc.! I am also considering Christmas/New Years and have been told "never again" by so many people. I guess I just need a better picture of the craziness of it before I can give up going during that time(the only time during the holidays that we can go). There are other times during the year that we can go, but only during the "crazy" week for the holidays. Tell me your horror stories...or your wonderful ones!!
June 2009~2 week WDW-Cocoa beach extravaganza!/Windsor Hills
October 2010~Our 1st WDW MNSSHP/Windsor Hills
June 2012~ 2 week WDW(YES program)-Universal-Seaworld-Cocoa beach/Windsor Hills
June/July 2014~last minute 20th anniversary/4th July trip!!!
October 2014~MNSSHP and onsite at CBR!
BABY_EINSTEIN'S_MOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:51 AM   #13
disneyfan2kids
DIS Veteran

Went 3 years for the week b/w Xmas/NYE.... LOVED it!!!! Crowds are fine as long as you don't plan on getting on every ride. We've seen the rides alot, so it was OK if we walked past something with a long line and decided to "skip it."

But the atmosphere can't be beat! And NYE in Disney is pretty much what I imagine Heaven will be like

That said...this year we're going (in a few days!) the 2nd week of December...b/c airfare and DVC points were too expensive to go that same week again.

Can't wait!!!

disneyfan2kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:23 AM   #14
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

My first visit was one day during Christmas week. I was 14, and literally ALL I remember was standing in line for like 2 hours for Space Mountain.

I suppose it could have its appeal if you go every year or even a couple times a year and like variety, but we prefer to go once every 3-5 years during a time when there are no crowds and we can just walk on and off rides.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:37 AM   #15
MsStinkerBelle
Hittin' WDW Since Space Mountain was 'Coming Soon'

We love it!

We've done Disney for Christmas the past 4 years and have LOVED it! The atmosphere is just...so magical. It's almost completely different from the way it is during the rest of the year.

Yes the crowds are ungodly huge. Yes, it is priced very high. Yes, the wait times can be insane if you don't plan (I've seen a 190 minute wait for Soarin'). And this is why if it's your first visit to WDW I strongly suggest NOT going at Christmas. My family has been to WDW so many times that we're not so concerned with getting on the rides as we are experiencing the Christmas atmosphere.

MsStinkerBelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: