Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2009, 07:53 AM   #16
legalsea
The 'trick' would usually be walking away mumbing about 'next year' we shall take our vengence
The Magic 8 Ball Knows All

Here is a link to a guy named Bufo Calvin who has a blog called “I Love My Kindle” (which I subscribe to on my Kindle). This link is to the internet version.

Bufo not only writes about the Kindle, but he writes and compares the other e-readers. Good source for information.

http://ilmk.wordpress.com/
legalsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:57 AM   #17
lovesmurfs
I need to start thinking of pithy things to say
It costs him money every time I watch!

I really wanted a Kindle, but now I'm leaning toward the Sony eReader -- with the Sony I would be able to download books from my library and read on it, rather than have to purchase outright like the Kindle requires.

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain

"Some people are like Slinkies. They serve no useful purpose, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs."
lovesmurfs is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-01-2009, 08:03 AM   #18
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I got the Sony because you can download library books.

However, there is some sort of problem with the software used by the libraries, and if you upload more than one library book at a time to your reader, and there are two on there using different formats, none of them will work. Then you have to remove EVERYTHING from your reader, reset it, and reload the library books one at a time. I'm currently having to finish one and completely delete it from the reader and all the software before uploading the next one. It's said they are trying to fix the software, but it's a pain.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:11 AM   #19
legalsea
The 'trick' would usually be walking away mumbing about 'next year' we shall take our vengence
The Magic 8 Ball Knows All

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesmurfs View Post
I really wanted a Kindle, but now I'm leaning toward the Sony eReader -- with the Sony I would be able to download books from my library and read on it, rather than have to purchase outright like the Kindle requires.
However, with the Kindle you can download lots of free books. You are not limited to the Amazon books (although Amazon does run lots of specials for free books). You may download free books from several websites like:

Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

Manybooks: http://manybooks.net/

mobipocket: http://www.mobipocket.com/en/HomePag...sp?Language=EN

You simply hook up the Kindle to your computer (these are all 'public domain' books).

There is also a way you can load the mobipocket website onto your kindle, and so browse the site, without being connected to the computer, and download the free books.

Again, Amazon offers lots of free books. For instance, right now you may get, for free, several books from Don Brown (Treason, Defiance, Black Sea Affair), as wel as "Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker" (a cookbook). I also recently got "Red Mars" by Kim Stanley Robinson, "By Reason of Insanity" by Randy Singer, "Assassin's Apprentice" by Robin Hobb, and "Magic Kingdom for Sale- Sold" by Terry Brooks.

Many current authors allow Amazon to give away their earlier books so as to get people interested in their current offerings.

Here is a link to the current "Kindle Best Sellers". Note that virtually all of the top ten books are free.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/digital-text/
legalsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:25 PM   #20
jrmasm
Last time I checked, it was still the thought that counted
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!

Question

I do not own a Kindle. I have the Kindle app on my phone. Is it possible to read the books I've downloaded for my phone on my computer?

Thanks
jrmasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:36 PM   #21
RitaE
DIS Veteran

yep - assuming your computer is a PC and not a Mac. The Mac version is coming soon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000426311
RitaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:41 PM   #22
jrmasm
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitaE View Post
yep - assuming your computer is a PC and not a Mac. The Mac version is coming soon.

Sweet! The phone is a little hard on my eyes.

Thanks!
Old 12-01-2009, 01:10 PM   #23
RitaE
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesmurfs View Post
I kind of go up and down on my opinion of the Sony Readers. I like the Overdrive library system and checking out books BUT Sony's prices in their bookstores are so high - much higher than both Amazon and B&N. Their recent switch to ePub at least means the users can shop around at other stores which is nice.

I want to see the Sony Daily Edition eReader which will probably be delayed until next year as it has wireless access and the larger screen. I'm not fond of the smaller Pocket reader because the 5" screen is just too small for me. I'm not sure about the Touch - I don't see much glare on the screen the way some people complain but I wonder how dirty those screens get with fingers all over them.

Target recently clearanced the Sony 505 readers down to $139. If I could have found one at that price I definitely would have bought it to use as a back-up and for library books. Right now I'm just checking out Overdrive books and reading them on my laptop and Kindle.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:15 PM   #24
lovesmurfs
I need to start thinking of pithy things to say
It costs him money every time I watch!

Quote:
I kind of go up and down on my opinion of the Sony Readers. I like the Overdrive library system and checking out books BUT Sony's prices in their bookstores are so high - much higher than both Amazon and B&N. Their recent switch to ePub at least means the users can shop around at other stores which is nice.

I want to see the Sony Daily Edition eReader which will probably be delayed until next year as it has wireless access and the larger screen. I'm not fond of the smaller Pocket reader because the 5" screen is just too small for me. I'm not sure about the Touch - I don't see much glare on the screen the way some people complain but I wonder how dirty those screens get with fingers all over them.

Target recently clearanced the Sony 505 readers down to $139. If I could have found one at that price I definitely would have bought it to use as a back-up and for library books. Right now I'm just checking out Overdrive books and reading them on my laptop and Kindle.
You've made some really good points. Thanks!

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain

"Some people are like Slinkies. They serve no useful purpose, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs."
lovesmurfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:59 PM   #25
Mom2Ashli
DIS Cast Member
People are after my thread killing powers!

So if I get an ITouch it will do the same thing as the Kindle and/or Sony Readers?

I AM LAST
Mom2Ashli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:10 PM   #26
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3sonsagn View Post
While we're on the topic of e-readers, how available are older books for them? Most of the books I look for are based on others' recommendations and are frequently 5, 10, 15 or more years old. I'd love to have one, but I'm not sure how practical it would be for me.
It's all up to the publishers, and if they want to put it in e format.

And sometimes the authors...for instance, JK Rowling has said that her books won't be available in e-format. To me it seems silly, as the Kindle appears to be magic to me! Seems it would be PERFECT for her books, sort of like the Marauder's Map, but she said something about how she wrote her books in longhand and wants people to read the actual book....of course that leaves out the whole *how it got published and printed* machinery aspect of the whole thing, doesn't it?

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:11 PM   #27
RitaE
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Ashli View Post
So if I get an ITouch it will do the same thing as the Kindle and/or Sony Readers?
Well - the same in that you can download books to your iTouch -yep.

It isn't as nice as the Kindle or Sony though because the screen is backlit and tiny. But I still read on my iPhone often when I'm in waiting for the kids to get out of practice or whatever mode.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:24 PM   #28
jrmasm
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!

Quote:

Ok, I am amazed. I downloaded it and it magically knew where I was reading on my phone. That makes me very, very happy!

This might be the best darn invention EVER!
Old 12-01-2009, 04:35 PM   #29
SpecialK
DIS Veteran

I'm getting a Kindle for Christmas after considering the Nook and the Kindle. I like the prices at Amazon, and I think I would find the strip at at the bottom of the Nook screen distracting. I also like the fact that the Kindle has been around for awhile. (Though I like the look of the Nook better.)
SpecialK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:44 PM   #30
Mom2Ashli
DIS Cast Member
People are after my thread killing powers!

Quote:
Well - the same in that you can download books to your iTouch -yep.

It isn't as nice as the Kindle or Sony though because the screen is backlit and tiny. But I still read on my iPhone often when I'm in waiting for the kids to get out of practice or whatever mode.
Thank you.

I want both the Sony Reader and the ITouch. But wasn't sure if I really NEED both of them.

I AM LAST
Mom2Ashli is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: