Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2009, 04:03 PM   #1
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

Let the cooking commence!

I always start me Thanksgiving cooking on Wednesday so as to not stress out as much on TD. So I've got supper in the crockpot( pot roast seasoned with Merlot--OMG!*drooling*) and my 15-lb turkey in the oven. I've done the collards, my Greek green beans were canned up and ready last month, the giblets are done and the broth is in the fridge with the fat solidifying so I can scoop it out and make fat free gravy. I'm going to make some Waldorf salad and Sugar Free jello w/splenda peaches in a minute. Then tomorrow all I have to do is make the pie(Mrs. Smith's punkin pie--I hate pumpkin, that's why I'm fixing this), corn on the cob,baked sweet potatoes, crockpot stuffing, and gravy(brown gravy for Eleni--it's vegetarian.) Eleni's going to make carrot souffle, asparagus, deviled eggs, and celery sticks.

We've invited John to join us, but I doubt he'll show. He's still not speaking to us or taking our calls/texts. It's sad, but hopefully he'll eventually come around. If not, it's his loss.

Okay, gotta baste the bird, peel the apples, and make the jello before supper time. I might need to bring up our little fridge from the basement. Anybody else cooking today?
Old 11-25-2009, 04:12 PM   #2
Nik's Mom
Karl Pilkington is a genius

I started cooking this afternoon. I'm brining a turkey for the first time, so I got that all set up this afternoon. Hope I don't mess it up. Then I baked my cheesecake. I'm on a break now. I haven't Dis'd all day! I'm trying to catch up on all of the new posts.

Proud Mom to 2 boys, and wife to a great husband!
Nik's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-25-2009, 04:17 PM   #3
AKL_Megs
I'd Rather Be At AKL!!!
I feel exposed if I'm not covered

I've got mashed potatoes done and ready to go. I've also opened the cranberry sauces and put them on dishes. Tomorrow morning is the stuffing. (My mom is bringing over the rest! )

AKL_Megs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:24 PM   #4
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKL_Megs View Post
I've got mashed potatoes done and ready to go. I've also opened the cranberry sauces and put them on dishes. Tomorrow morning is the stuffing. (My mom is bringing over the rest! )
Ack! I forgot about the cranberry sauce! Thanks for the reminder. My kids would never forgive me if I didn't have the homemade "razzleberry dressing."
Old 11-25-2009, 04:31 PM   #5
qtwns
DIS Veteran

Dang! I'm so glad you mentioned the giblets--I totally forgot to thaw them. I now have them cooking and they'll be ready. I started cooking on Monday. All I have left is the bird, gravy, dressing an corn casserole. Everything else is done and ready to be heated and eated!!
qtwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:34 PM   #6
Cinerbelle
Mouseketeer

I have started cooking too! Our dinner is in the crock pot (chicken with corn, salsa and black beans). I have already made the cranberry sauce, horseradish sauce, and mashed potatoes. I still have to make the pumpkin gooey cake and sweet potatoes tonight so that I can make all the other dishes tomorrow... soooo much work for 15 minutes of eating (and 2 days of left overs)!
Old 11-25-2009, 04:43 PM   #7
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

I have not done anything yet. But this year it's pretty simple. It's now just us with 2 people sick(my kids) so I can cook tomorrow no problem. We'll have LOTS of leftovers though!
I was going to make Mac and cheese with bacon today and I still might but really I have time tomorrow. We were going to go into the city for the parade but the weather isn't cooperating. So I think I'll have all day.
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:45 PM   #8
Terry36
DIS Veteran

DH started cooking the seafood gumbo around 1 and I just started boiling the potatoes for mashed potatoes. I will then start the creole green beans, corn and cranberry butter after I finish with the potatoes.
Terry36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:50 PM   #9
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry36 View Post
DH started cooking the seafood gumbo around 1 and I just started boiling the potatoes for mashed potatoes. I will then start the creole green beans, corn and cranberry butter after I finish with the potatoes.
Can I come to your house? That sounds fantastic! How do you make creole green beans???
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:06 PM   #10
DVCLiz
That's me - proud defender of the Mega roll
click here to use the trolldar
We saw "I pooted" and thought it was a "New York" thing!

Minky, will you roast your turkey tonight and then slice it for tomorrow? Will you serve it cold or heat it up, and if so, how?

I'm getting a roasted bird in the morning but it will have to be sliced and refrigerated until late afternoon. Just wondering how that will work out. I'm also roasting a turkey breast so we'll have "hot" turkey" as well...
DVCLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:15 PM   #11
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Tonight I'm just brining the turkey (first time, we'll see how it goes), baking the pumpkin pie, and roasting 10 lbs of vegetables. Everything else is being done tomorrow.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:39 PM   #12
kim929
DIS Veteran

"creole green beans"

What is creole green beans?
kim929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:50 PM   #13
FormrCastMbr
DIS Veteran

I started last week and roasted some turkey wings and legs and made broth to make gravy and also made my stuffing. Put them both in the freezer. I made cranberry sauce yesterday and today did the sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, turnip/carrot/potato mash, carrots, boiled shrimp, cheese sauce, made dip and cut up broccoli to steam tomorrow.

Tomorrow is the turkey, corn, thicken gravy, broccoli and make shrimp scampi (an appetizer my niece requested).

I think that is it...tomorrow should be nice and calm and problem free!

Happy Thanksgiving all!
FormrCastMbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:02 PM   #14
Meriweather
Maybe we will have an arrival or two today
Time to share your chocolate!

Yep.....started cooking when we got home from shopping.
Chocolate cheesecake, pumpkin custard, sausage apple stuffing, onion dip and avocado dip are all done.

Meriweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:47 PM   #15
Boots
Smiling at you!!!
Spreads cheer through her PMs
I've got some spare ribs
Shoe haters, unite!

Besides all the regular food I too am making seafood gumbo. Get a lot of my spices when we visit my dad in Foley, Alabama. DH asked if I would make a big pot for tomorrow for him. Our 5 year old granddaughter said that looked like a waste of good shrimp. So I saved her out some. She may just have to eat a lot of turkey. Have a good Thanksgiving.
Boots is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: