Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2010, 08:54 PM   #76
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

Today we had our first experience with the Stitch/Mickey wake up call. Even on speaker phone it was really quiet and we could barely hear it.

We had an early morning breakfast at Epcot at

We got up at 6am, to get to the rental car by 7am and be at the restaurant by 8:05am. We don't even get up at 6am during the week!!!

It's so nice to be in the parks before opening with just a few other people

We didn't have to wait at all after checking in, and were soon led to meet Belle. She actually came out of her little alcove to get the kids by the hand and lead them in for their picture. I thought that was a nice touch.

The late nights/early mornings were starting to get to us, or maybe it was all the food, but Riley and I neither one were feeling 100% today. We totally skipped the cold food buffet and just waited on the skillet.

Nothing like a cupcake at 8:30 in the morning

Our 4 other princesses were:

Cinderella

Aurora

Snow White

And, Riley was very excited to meet Ariel in her ballgown

Since we were close to the door, we got to see the princesses pretty quickly and we were out in the park before opening

We got to the backside of the rope before rope drop, and struck up a conversation with a CM, who told Riley he would take her to Soarin for her birthday. True to his word, he led us through the park in FRONT of the rope, through entrance to watch the CMs from Sunshine Seasons waving, and then right to the front row on Soarin! We've never scored the front row on Soarin before. There's such a difference not being able to see feet!!

We went to Circle of Life next (something new to us) and met a lovely couple celebrating their anniversary. They gave Riley a fortune telling paper fish which I thought was really nice.

Riley was clamoring to ride Figment since we were so close,

and after that we hit the side of Innoventions we hadn't played in our last Epcot day.
I had to drag Riley away from the video games

Riley decided next on her list has to be Mission Space
On the way we stopped to watch the fountain. I could sit here for hours

Okay, so here is my mommy moment of shame. Please remember at this point I have already ridden RNR 7 times and Everest who knows how many times. I'm not a fan of not being in control and being in a closed space. I know, I'm a weenie.

I chickened out and made my daughter ride Mission Space alone.

How humiliating to admit it, but I just couldn't. I tried. I even got in the thing and fastened my bar down, but that was it. The poor teenager running the ride let me out, and the nice young couple in the ride with Riley promised they'd look out for her. They let me sit right outside the exit door and wait. Riley called me a chicken, then asked to play the games in the waiting area, telling me it wasn't a bad ride and I should try it.

This from someone who thought RNR was a breeze at age 6.

We rode Ellen's Universe of Energy next. Our very first ride on it. We almost skipped it since it said it was a 45 minute ride. Really? However the CM told us that they were boarding right then so it wouldn't be that long. It was nice to sit down, but that's a boring ride. DS5 would love it with all the dinosaurs.

We took a quick ride on Test Track and decided to call it a day. (well, an afternoon) We had knocked out quite a bit, and we were tired and feeling icky. I told Riley I would be more than happy to take her swimming and I would read my book by the pool, but insisted we take a nap before coming back to Epcot for dinner. I hadn't even gotten the word "pool" out of my mouth and she was walking towards the exit

We decided to leave the rental car in the front row parking space we had snagged early that morning, take the bus back to AKL, then bus back for dinner and Illuminations, and drive the car back afterwards.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:36 PM   #77
LOVEMY3KIDDOS
DIS Veteran

Great updates!! Hope your family feels better and your son doesn't get sick so he can have his test done! I had a bad reaction to Mission Space...but didn't get out in time! I just updated about it in my TR!! LOL

Check out my etsy shop: WallScraps for handmade personalized Disney autograph books, countdowns and scrapbooks!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-02-2010, 10:41 PM   #78
quest4dl
DIS Veteran

Another great update!

There must be a bad stomach virus going around. My younger ds was up vomiting all of Sunday night and could not even lift his head on Monday. He's much better today after running a high fever on Monday night. If he feels okay, he might go to school tomorrow. Hope your ds14 stays healthy and everyone else recovers soon!

WDW WL Villas March 2011
Disneyland Grand Californian June 2008
WDW AKL October 2004
WDW Polynesian March 2003
WDW Polynesian Concierge March 2001
WDW Beach Club May 1993

WDW April 1977, WDW August 1983, DL June 1981
Old 02-03-2010, 05:49 PM   #79
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEMY3KIDDOS View Post
I had a bad reaction to Mission Space...but didn't get out in time! I just updated about it in my TR!! LOL
Honestly, was it really bad??

Quote:
Originally Posted by quest4dl View Post
There must be a bad stomach virus going around. !
I think so. Tons of kids at school are out sick, and a lot of my friends have sick kids.

Well, DH seems to be doing better. Knock on wood, DS and I seem to be holding out. If we can make it just one more day, we can get his endoscopy out of the way. Then I can be sick all weekend. They are calling for snow here and I don't want to have to go anywhere anyhow
Old 02-03-2010, 05:55 PM   #80
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

We walked right on to a bus and got back to AKL very quickly.

You have to love walking in to see a sign like this

Mousekeeping had been busy in our room again

We changed and headed down to the pool. While we were in the elevator, a CM asked us if we were going down to watch the shuttle launch. I had completely forgotten! It was supposed to be on our arrival day, but got delayed due to weather. We had time to kill, so I settled in with my book and Riley headed to swim

I heard one of our pool neighbors tell his wife that he had just checked the NASA website and the shuttle was cleared for launch, and then he kept watch on the countdowns. He finally told everyone around us that it was lifting off in 30 seconds. I went over to Riley in the pool and told her where I was going and told her to come with me. She said she wanted to swim, so I pointed to the overlook near the pool and told her I was going over there to take pictures and that I wanted her to stay right where she was in front of our seat and I would be back in one minute.

I went over, snapped a few pictures of the launch

I went back the pool, only Riley wasn't there! Holy panic!

I walked all the way around the pool and finally found her sobbing to a lifeguard that I was lost! I told her I had pointed to where I was going and told her to stay put. She, not having her glasses on, thought I was pointing to the exit because I wanted her to get out and go with me. Oy. She was a mess after that, and I knew it was time for a nap. However, she got completely distracted by how close these guys were to our balcony

Last edited by Chelley00; 02-03-2010 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:39 PM   #81
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

When our wake up call from our nap went off at 4, Riley awoke with a headache and felt a little warm. If you read our Worst Vacation Ever trip report, you know that quite a few of us got sick on our last trip, so I was super paranoid about Riley getting sick on our trip. I gave her some Tylenol and we waited around to see how she felt. She said she was better and wanted to go to dinner. I was ready to cancel but she begged me not to because we had never been to this restaurant. I threw more Tylenol in the bag, along with grocery sacks in case she puked, and off we went.

She put her head in my lap on the bus and fell back asleep. Riley is not a napper, so I just knew we were pretty much screwed. I figured we'd just get off the bus and walk to the rental car we had left in the parking lot pre-nap and go back to AKL.

However, once we got back to Epcot, she woke up and looked much better and insisted she was fine. I was super paranoid that whole evening, but I'm happy to say that other than still having a slight headache, she did fine!

So, our new restaurant for tonight~

You have to love her character pose (arm flung out)

Chip saw Mickey coming and drew a Mickey Head on Riley's autograph book and showed it to him

Pluto balanced her autograph book on his nose

Riley LOVED Garden Grill. She had great character interaction, and since she loves the Living with the Land boatride, she liked the fact that it rotated through all the scenes. The food could have been cooked a little better, but holy cow, is the blueberry buckle dessert good!!! She said that if Minnie would have been there, it would have been her favorite character meal!
Old 02-03-2010, 06:53 PM   #82
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

After dinner we went to ride Living with the Land (of course) Riley said she had never noticed the restaurant on the top until this ride since we had just eaten there. After that we rode Soarin with fastpasses we had grabbed before dinner. Riley's next pick was Spaceship Earth

then we debated leaving, but she said she wanted to stay for Illuminations. We have never seen Illuminations (so sad!) We had time to kill, so we decided on to knock out some rides.

Riley wanted another Mission Space ride. I told her she was on her own, she told the CM handing the cards out that I was a chicken, and he laughed at me and said there were 100's of chickens going through there everyday She rode it alone again. Bad mom

We squished in a ride on Test Track. I have NEVER seen this ride that empty! We rode it twice in a row without getting out of the car

We killed a snack credit and got a box of popcorn and went into one of the sit-down only areas to watch Illuminations. I don't think I'd want to sit there again as we watched everything through a fence posts, but we were pretty close and got to see everything

One of the smartest decisions I made this entire trip was to drive the rental to Epcot for our early morning breakfast, park in that front row spot, leave it there during our nap while we took the bus to AKL and back. We walked out of Epcot and were in the car and on our way back to AKL while tons of people were still streaming to the bus stops.

We happily said goodbye to Epcot. Today was our last planned day here. We went straight to bed because we were both very excited for the next day.

FINALLY

Magic Kingdom!!
Old 02-03-2010, 07:05 PM   #83
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

I keep forgetting to input our photopass pictures into my updates!

From Animal Kingdom

And from our Epcot day I just finished, in our "Birthday Girl" and "I'm with the Birthday Girl" shirts
Old 02-05-2010, 03:39 PM   #84
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

DS's endoscopy went off without a hitch yesterday. He actually woke up before even leaving the OR and was back in his room out of recovery 35 minutes from the time he left. He felt so good today he went back to school

What kinds of 14 year old wants to go to school when his parents have arranged for him to miss it!?!?!??! Weirdo

So now we are hunkered down and watching it snow like crazy. We're only supposed to get 8-10 inches, but things shut down here because we're just not used to getting that much. I've lived other places where we got lots of snow and it wasn't a big deal. I'm waiting for them to call the snow emergency so DH can stay home from work!

Since we have no plans and are hanging out, I've got time to update a little more.

Finally, Magic Kingdom!!
Old 02-05-2010, 04:00 PM   #85
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

Let's call this chapter "Our Secret Family Shame"

In our first 2 trips to WDW, we've probably spent 10 days at the Magic Kingdom.

And not once have we ever made it for opening ceremonies/rope drop.

Last trip we had it made. We were early. And the monorail was down, so they were diverting everyone to the ferries. We got to the launch right as one pulled away. We got to the MK just as the train was pulling away. I was so upset.

This year, we are going to make it. And today is the day we have to make it because the next MK day we have an early morning ADR and we won't be able to eat and make it back up front for the ceremonies.

But, guess what. Today is the one day we had to wait for the bus. We got to MK at the end of the song. We missed opening ceremonies AGAIN. We are NEVER going to see it. Ever. I honestly thought we had left more than enough "just in case" time.

But, it's okay. We are Disney. And it's decorated for Christmas. We have always gone for Halloween, so it was so fun to see it decorated another way!

We walked under the train station just as the characters were leaving the station to come down for a meet and greet, and look what happened.

Daisy kidnapped my daughter and skipped off with her! Riley thought her day could not get any better, but I had a surprise for her later!

Riley had a surprise appt at 10am in Adventureland, however, she was pushing for Tomorrowland to see if Space Mountain was open from the refurb. I told her that if SM was open, it would probably open later that day for testing, so we should hit up all the rides to our left first She was not willing to listen, but I had to put my mom foot down, and we finally ended up going to

First ride of the day, Jungle Cruise. We had probably the best ever captain, David. Very funny, one bad pun after another! He totally made the ride. Later in the week we rode it again and the captain was not that into it and pretty dry.

We still had a little time to kill, so we went for a ride on Magic Carpets. Riley loves trying to get the camel to spit on me

Finally, it was close enough to 10am that we could check in and not be ridiculously early for her appt. She had no idea where we were going until I handed her an invitation then pointed out the entrance to
Old 02-05-2010, 11:38 PM   #86
quest4dl
DIS Veteran

Oh no! Don't stop here! I've heard great things about his place. It's nice that Disney is finally adding some 'non-princess-y' things back (e.g. had a Villains dinner which they took away).

Glad to know your DS14 breezed through the procedure.

WDW WL Villas March 2011
Disneyland Grand Californian June 2008
WDW AKL October 2004
WDW Polynesian March 2003
WDW Polynesian Concierge March 2001
WDW Beach Club May 1993

WDW April 1977, WDW August 1983, DL June 1981
Old 02-07-2010, 01:48 PM   #87
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by quest4dl View Post
Oh no! Don't stop here! I've heard great things about his place. .
I'm going to add some more great things!!!!

I had an update ready to go last night, and apparently my laptop cord wasn't plugged in all the way and the battery died and I lost the post!!!! Grrrrr

Riley is just not a girly girl. That's what happens when you have 2 older brothers, and then get a little brother. She's totally anti-princess and not into dresses, so BBB has never been a consideration for us. I thought she might like Pirates League, and really was excited when I read on the disboards that it would be half off the week we were there! Score!

We checked in and waited briefly and were directed to a lady with the nametag Christie......only I knew better! I had seen her pictures on the disboards and was thrilled to meet the infamous Pirate Brenna! I asked her about her name tag and she said that she had left hers at home and for today, was Christie!

To set the scene a little so we can laugh at my daughter Riley is normally a chatty Cathy and will talk our ears off. However, when she gets in a new situation, we sometimes have to remind her to listen and pay attention because she gets very nervous and quiet. We also have to be pretty forceful to get her to try new things (even if she knows she'll like it)

As poor Brenna is trying her best to draw Riley out by telling her silly jokes and asking her questions, Riley is pretty much just zoned out and staring. Brenna and I were laughing at her over her head.

So, we just kinda gave up and just went on with her makeover. First Riley had to roll the paradise box (so named because inside is a "Pair of Dice". That went right over Riley's head)

Then a glance in the book of names, and Riley was given her new pirate name

Anne Yellowbellows

We were taken inside to be seated to wait on our pirate, and I had a couple of seconds to snap some pictures

A guy walked past us, stopped at an old man and yelled "ARE YOU ANNE YELLOWBELLOWS?" He kept asking all the men, walking past Riley twice before I finally had to shove Riley and say

"Honey, that's you!"
Old 02-07-2010, 08:32 PM   #88
addictedtothemouse
DIS Veteran

How fun! Were there any adults/older kids doing the pirate league? I'm asking because my DD17 mentioned that it looked like fun and "when I take my kids I'm signing them up for this." her words.
I thought maybe for her graduation trip in May I'd surprise her.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:51 PM   #89
praisehisname
DIS Veteran

Oh my gosh, I was so far behind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelley00 View Post
The lady running the Animation Class was so obnoxious, I actually wrote a letter to Disney about her.
She sounded extremely un-Disney-like! Did you ever hear back in response to your letter?

Riley got tons of birthday pixie dust from CMs!!!

Can't wait to see Riley's pirate transformation!

Denise

07/87 DLR***05/98 All-Star Music***01/04 Polynesian/4-night Wonder***02/05 7-night Magic Eastern***
09/07 Beach Club***10/08 7-night Magic Special Western (double-dipping at Castaway Cay!!!)
***12/09 Pop Century***08/13 7 night Fantasy Western

Old 02-11-2010, 08:32 PM   #90
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtothemouse View Post
Were there any adults/older kids doing the pirate league? I'm asking because my DD17 mentioned that it looked like fun and "when I take my kids I'm signing them up for this." her words.
I thought maybe for her graduation trip in May I'd surprise her.
There was a couple of adults getting makeovers with their kids, and then when we went to the parade, there was a teenage girl in there. Riley said she wished I would have done it with her

Quote:
Originally Posted by praisehisname View Post
Oh my gosh, I was so far behind!
She sounded extremely un-Disney-like! Did you ever hear back in response to your letter?

I haven't heard anything back. It's ok. I felt better

Anne Yellowbellows was paged, and Riley finally realized it meant her She stood up and followed Pirate Ken to her seat. He had her pick her lip gloss and nail polish, which she got to keep, she picked out her blush and eye color, and then he tied her hair back for her bandana

The whole time Ken is doing his thing, he's cracking jokes and little puns, and Riley is just sitting. She was so quiet the whole time. Here he is making a joke about tatoos and she just stared.

She almost cracked a smile when he told her how bad tatoos hurt, then pressed on her hand and yelled. Almost.

Nails first. Can I just say how funny it is to see the this big guy painting these teeny little fingernails?

Eyes next, in prostitute blue

Snicker. Lips next

Blush, eyeliner and a bunch of glitter, then Ken handed Riley a sheet of jewels to pick from. She got to keep the rest of the sheet after she picked her red jewel

Bandana next. While I was waiting, Brenna came over and gave us a Minnie pirate sticker

I have to post this picture because it's a close up, just because Ken did such a good job on her makeup. He's way better than I am!!

After her bandana, she was asked to stand up, raise her hand and take her oath. Riley was very serious about it, so Ken sped up and said it really fast, then stood like a statue waiting for her to repeat it.

But she was laughing. Hysterically.

I video taped it. Finally, she broke out her little shell, and she laughed. She never could finish that oath

Ken announced her a new pirate and everyone yelled. We were walked over to the corner, given her sheath and sword, and given the secret room instructions

I can't tell you what happens in the secret room, but it's very cool. I need to scan in Riley's picture from the portrait session. It's amazing.

We came out and Riley had to sign her name in the pirate book

This would be a must do for us if we go back again. She had so much fun, and when she was being timid, everyone did everything they could to try and bring her out, but they weren't pushy about it. The bonus was that we got it for half off, but it would have definately been worth full price.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: