Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2010, 05:52 PM   #61
Tink9721
DIS Veteran

Wow Amanda sounds AMAZING!

Loving the TR

Mother daughter trips are great! My mom and I are leaving in a little over two weeks

Next: May 2014, Wilderness Lodge!

Old 01-29-2010, 07:17 PM   #62
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEMY3KIDDOS View Post
Can't wait to hear about the dinner...there are so many great restaurants in Epcot! I think they have the best in WDW!!!
Oh I know. And it's such a hard choice to decide where to eat there because so many get such good reviews!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink9721 View Post
Mother daughter trips are great! My mom and I are leaving in a little over two weeks
I'm so jealous. I'm ready to go back. That's so sad!
Register to remove

Old 01-29-2010, 07:34 PM   #63
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

We made it back to Epcot with time to spare (late dinner ressie) so we decided to mark some rides off our list.

I don't think I mentioned that Riley had a plan. We were going to ride EVERY ride at Disney. We had a checklist for each park with every attraction listed, and we were determined to get them all done, especially the ones we've never done before. Wait to you see how we did!!

Our first thing was to grab a fastpass for Soarin, then we rode Living with the Land boatride. Riley has a strange fascination with this ride. She loves it.

Ah, thank you cacao plant, for chocolate!

Then it was off to the seas for Nemo, Turtle Talk with Crush and a glance at the aquarium. The line for Bruce was hugely long, so we skipped it.

We still had some time to kill before dinner, so we headed out of the Seas and towards a ride we had never been on, Figment.

My daughter FELL IN LOVE with Figment. Not sure what the draw was for her, but holy cow. We had to ride it twice in a row and she bought a Figment pin. She made me ride I don't know how many more times the next Epcot day.

Finally, it wasn't too horribly early to check in for dinner. This was our first time at this restaurant, and I hadn't told Riley where we were going. Where else to take my seafood loving daughter, but to

We checked in and were seated automatically, right next to the tank

This quickly became one of our top 3 favorite meals of the trip. Riley loved watching the fish, sharks and sea turtles swimming around. Plus, there were divers in the tank that would come up to the window, blow kisses, dance and this one, who climbed upside down the tank like Spiderman

Our waiter brought Riley a strawberry smoothie as a special birthday surprise. We both had lobster bisque to start (yum!) Riley had mahi mahi and I had the catch of the day, grouper. Both were really good. I had a Bailey's and Jack Daniel's chocolate mousse dessert that was out of this world! Our waiter was fabulous and treated Riley like a queen. The view was amazing and we didn't have a problem at all with people coming up to look . Riley called Daddy and told him ALL about her meal before we had even walked outside the door!

It was getting late, we were getting tired, and not really in the mood for Illuminations today (well, the Illuminations crowds) so we used our fastpass for Soarin, watched the fountain for awhile

then hit up Spaceship Earth as we left. Riley was fascinated by Spaceship Earth and I think we rode it 7 times total! After our ride through time, we headed out, grabbed a bus back to AKL, and watched Phineus and Ferb and Hannah Montana. We don't have cable at home, so Riley was thrilled!
Old 01-29-2010, 07:53 PM   #64
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

After a good night's sleep, we were up and ready to early. Check out my daughter thinking she's extremely cool for getting breakfast in bed!

Today's plan, Animal Kingdom. I don't know why we rented a car. My daughter was hooked on the bus! I think she just liked the corn hole games at the bus stop. This morning there were quite a few kids playing, and Riley joined right in

What's funny is that we waited longer for a bus to go to Animal Kingdom, from AKL, than we did to go anywhere else the rest of our trip!

So, my little adrenaline junkie had one thing in mind today. Everest.

Our last trip this child made me ride it so many time I was nauseous for days. And I knew she had one thing on her must do list.

The Front Row

Riley has at least 15 rides on Everest under her belt, and never has she ridden in the front row. (Big Thunder Mountain either...will we get to change that?) Now, Amanda from DHS taught her that you can ask to wait for the front row. I'm not a patient waiter, so I never ask. We get to EE, grab fastpasses, and then get in the 5 minute wait standby line. As we get closer to the front, Riley asks me to ask the CM. Nuh uh. You want, you ask We get to the CM who is asking "how many", Riley opens her mouth and he says

"Happy Birthday, how about the front row"

Seriously thought my daughter was going to kiss him. Check out this unhappy face

Now, as a sympathy getter, can I tell you that just 2 days ago she made me ride RNR SEVEN times in one day, and already, at 9:30 in the morning, we will have had THREE back to back rides on Everest completed. I finally drug Riley away from EE and made her tackle some more of AK!

DS5 is a huge dinosaur fan. He only plays with dinosaurs, his clothes are 80% dinosaur related. His books are mostly prehistoric stuff. The fact that we were going to AK was the only thing that upset him about being left behind. Never mind the last trip he rode Dinosaur, came off and told the CM "I didn't like that ride" and then told us he was ready to go home, to our real home not the one we borrowed for the trip!

So, in honor of Owen, we headed to Dinoland to hit up all the rides there. Dinosaur first

This is the worst ride. I hate it. So loud, so jerky. Ugh. Next we rode Primeval Whirl. Our first time (it was closed last trip) I think Dinoland should be called Brain Injury land. Between those 2 rides and all the jerks and stops, I was wishing I could visit a chiropractor!!!

We stopped and played some of the carnival games....Riley won a seahorse, I won a turtle. We did a little pin shopping, and Riley snuck and bought me a Minnie's "World's Best Mom" pin with her birthday money while I was looking at pins I bought her a Minnie soccer player to replace what she had spent on me (don't tell her I had a motive!)

That part of the park done, we decided that my future vet needed to see some animals. Never mind she could look right outside her room at the resort, she was ready to do some treks, so we were off for animal searches!
Old 02-01-2010, 06:31 PM   #65
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

We stopped for a quick bite to eat at Flame Tree BBQ. I wanted to order Picnic in the Park, but we didn't find the place in time. We had one more AK day scheduled, so I decided we'd to the picnic then.

If you sit behind Flame Tree, you get such a great view of EE

The first trek we hit was Maharajah. My kids love dragging me through there, because it has bats. When I was in high school, I came in our front door, and a bat flew at me, and got stuck in my hair. I may or may not have a little bat phobia, so they always make me go through here.

We made our way around the rest of the trek, stopping off to watch the tigers sleep

Riley decided she was ready to hit the safari ride, so we started to make our way that way. On the way we found a couple of women in a gazebo looking building making fish and birds from leaves

I stopped and pointed something out to Riley, and she was so amazed she didn't move for 5 mintues. We've never seen Devine, but caught the first glance of her coming out. Oh, to be that graceful!

Love these guys! They just make AKL so festive
Old 02-01-2010, 06:41 PM   #66
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

We got a little sidetracked, and passed the safari in favor of the Pangani trail. We've never walked this one, or went to Rafiki's Planet Watch, so we switched up our touring plan. AK was not busy at all, and the safari ride was only a 5 minute wait, so I thought we'd be okay waiting until later.

My little Kim Possible groupie was uber happy to see actual real live naked mole rats!

We got to the gorilla exhibit right as they were going for feedings, but we did see this one walk by

We boarded the train for Planet Watch etc. Somehow we've missed this in all our trips to AK. I think Riley would have been most happy to stay there all day long.

Soon after we left the train, we stopped to do an animal habitat activity, then walked back to Conservation Station. Riley was in love! She had to get her picture taken with all the cardboard animal cutouts

got to pet a lizard

Met Pocohontas (first time)

and Jimminy (first time)

We went outside to Affection Section and watched the bird show and petted all the farm animals.

I honestly didnt think I would ever get her to leave. We met a lady with her 19 year old daughter who was going to vet school, and she and Riley talked about their love for animals, while the mom told me it was okay for Riley not to be girly and that being so obssessed with animals could be a good thing.

I don't even know how long we were there, but I didn't want to miss the parade and we had other things on our list to do that day, so I did what any good mom would do to move her child along.

I bribed her with ice cream
Old 02-01-2010, 06:53 PM   #67
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

A quick train ride back, we headed towards Kilimanjaro and walked right on. Oh how I love to be able to visit during non-busy seasons

hippos

elephants

After the safari, we had plenty of time to kill before the parade, so I let Riley pick, and she decided on EE. Again. (I said Lion King or Nemo, she said EE) On the way we stopped to do an animal activity, and the poor CM knew all about the things she was supposed to teach, but if anyone asked her a question, she got all flustered. One kid asked if she knew anything at all!

After EE, we decided to scope out a parade spot in the shade, then snack on our carrots and grapes leftover from lunch. On our way, we noticed the Flights of Wonder show starting. Another first for us, we headed in. Riley loved it so much she asked to put it on our list for a redo on our next AK day

We found a great spot for the parade and waited, munching on carrots and talking with the CMs. One CM told us this was the first weekend for the Christmas parade at AKL, so that was exciting to be able to see it.

Mickey stuck his hand right in his face

After the parade, we had some time to kill before our dinner reservations (a place I knew Riley would FREAK over) We wanted to ride Kali, but the thought of sitting through dinner soaking wet was not all that appealing (I realized later I had packed our ponchos, so we should have gone!) Riley decided to go, where else, but EE

A couple of rides on that, in the front row again because everyone was leaving the park and there was NO wait. We headed out of the park, and towards dinner at:

Old 02-01-2010, 08:46 PM   #68
MeMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelley00 View Post

Met Pocohontas (first time)

and Jimminy (first time)

That's one of the fun things about going back to Conservation Station - character greetings with little to no wait.

Looks like you girls had such a fun time. She's a brave one to love Everest so much!

Don't you love the Jingle Jungle Parade? So much fun Christmas detail!
Mingos in da Watah! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2758143
Geen Yight: She's Out of Sight! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2677011
My Name is NOT Broccoli www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2611094
From Pop to the Top www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2495977
Mother, May I? Yes, You May www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2448482
Ringing in 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356794
Brooklynn Takes Bella to Meet Cinderella www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2209387
A Two Short, Too Different Spring Break Trip www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2122295
Over the river and through the FUN! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post29060069
A Ten Day Ride on a Magic Camel www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1869591
Baby and the Tramp...and a Pop Half Century www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1470678

We've stayed at Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, All Star Music, French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Vero Beach, Kidani Village and Saratoga Springs - many trips, and many wonderful, magical memories made.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:54 PM   #69
djp0630
DIS Veteran

Great review! I am enjoying it so far. It makes me want to take just my daughter when she's older! Can't wait for the rest!

DS - 5 years old
Twins - DD & DS - 3 years old

Many trips growing up (CBR, Poly, PFQ)
Contemporary - August 2003
BLT- September 2009

BCV - May 2010
BCV - August 2012
Old 02-02-2010, 08:22 AM   #70
quest4dl
DIS Veteran

Loving your trip report! Last summer I toured DC with my younger ds while the older one attended a conference. It was so wonderful and relaxing to just do what he wanted to do rather than figure out the 'group' needs constantly. I would love to do a Disney trip separately with each of my kids!

WDW WL Villas March 2011
Disneyland Grand Californian June 2008
WDW AKL October 2004
WDW Polynesian March 2003
WDW Polynesian Concierge March 2001
WDW Beach Club May 1993

WDW April 1977, WDW August 1983, DL June 1981
Old 02-02-2010, 08:41 AM   #71
LOVEMY3KIDDOS
DIS Veteran

You guys got so much done in that AK day!!! You know...I think that the characters up at Rafiki's are a bit of a hidden secret. We found them on our last trip, but a lot of people seem to not know about them...making them rare characters!!

Check out my etsy shop: WallScraps for handmade personalized Disney autograph books, countdowns and scrapbooks!
Old 02-02-2010, 09:13 AM   #72
thechesters420
Mouseketeer

I love your trip report!! Its so funny
Old 02-02-2010, 02:00 PM   #73
StefaniLyn
DIS Veteran

Wow! You have been one busy lady! So many wonderful updates! I love all of the photos! R looks like she's having a blast! Do you ever let her borrow the camera so you have evidence that you were actually on this trip too?

You have inspired me to get back to my own TRing. I've been lazy about it lately!
Old 02-02-2010, 08:13 PM   #74
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
Looks like you girls had such a fun time. She's a brave one to love Everest so much!!
She will ride anything and everything we throw at her. Last summer we did a quick trip to an amusement park for 2 days and she rode things that I wouldn't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp0630 View Post
Great review! I am enjoying it so far. It makes me want to take just my daughter when she's older! Can't wait for the rest!
You should absolutely take your daughter. We had SO much fun I can't tell you how great it was, and she still talks about it all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandywilliams View Post
I really amazed following your dining reviews :
Thank you. I've read so many dining reviews and they were so helpful, I thought I'd try my hand at it this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quest4dl View Post
I would love to do a Disney trip separately with each of my kids!
DS5 has already decided he wants to go to Disney with Mom for his 8th birthday

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEMY3KIDDOS View Post
You guys got so much done in that AK day!!! !!
We did! And we still had one more AK day planned. We missed Nemo show, Festival of Lion King and Kali, so we had some things to mark off our list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechesters420 View Post
I love your trip report!! Its so funny
Oh, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefaniLyn View Post
Do you ever let her borrow the camera so you have evidence that you were actually on this trip too?
That's why we have photopass pictures!

Well, we've been having some fun at our house lately! Last Saturday night we were getting ready to leave for church, and Riley threw up. And proceeded to throw up every 10 minutes for 8 hours. Wednesday night I felt a little icky, but not as bad as she was. I thought we had it kicked, until Sunday, when DS5 threw up all over the indoor putt putt place (right in front of DS14's girlfriend!) He was sick from 4pm until 1am. Today DH sent me a text message that he was throwing up. He's been sick for 7 hours.

The big problem is that DS14 is scheduled for an endoscopy on Thursday morning. We've waiting for it since December. If he gets the flu (or if I didn't have it and get it now) we have to reschedule his endoscopy, and it could take another 2-3 months. Please pray, send good thoughts, whatever, that we stay healthy. Even if I'm sick and he's not, we still have to reschedule as DH can't take him as he's not a legal guardian, and my ex is in Mexico on business, so he couldn't do it either.

This is how I feel right now

But, since I'm hanging out on the couch tonight so I don't have to listen to DH (ick) I've got time for another update.

Let it be known that I slept on the loveseat all night Sunday night with Owen on the couch, then I worked Monday. I should be earning some serious Mom-of-the-Year points!!!
Old 02-02-2010, 08:29 PM   #75
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

So, after our full AK day, we headed to Rainforest Cafe for dinner. Now, I had way many other places I wanted to eat (Boma being one) I knew this was the place for Riley. She's such an animal fan that I knew being surrounded by all the animatronic animals would be her thing.

And I was right

If you read our dining review, it was so so as far as food went. But, Riley insisted on calling home to tell them all about it, so it was good choice for her. After dinner we did some shopping because you know she had to buy a stuffed animal to bring home. Her entire top bunk is covered in stuffed animals, and that doesn't include the 3 trash bags full in the garage!

Something we've never seen. Animal Kingdom at night

We went to the bus stop and a CM asked where we were going, put us on a bus and told Riley to enjoy her personal princess coach and we got to ride back to AKL, all by ourself.

When we got back to our room, our mousekeeper had hung Riley's unicorn from our lamp

Seeing how my children are all about bargaining, I told Riley if she did 30 minutes of homework without complaining, I'd take her swimming. She was all for it, and did 35 minutes just for good measure!!

Afterwards, we headed to the pool. Way too chilly for me, but she had a great time and pretty much had the pool to herself

On the way back to our room, we ran across the sign for the night vision goggles, and got to watch the antelope and elands in the dark. That was way cool.

I finally drug Riley away from the animals to go back to our room, take a shower and get to bed. We had an early morning the next day!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: