Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2010, 06:07 PM   #1
jasko5990
In Valor There Is Hope

How to get your teenage daughter to listen.

One July afternoon in 2009 we drove to the Beach Club in order to have the shortest walk possible to Le Cellier for our 5:30 dinner reservations. Since it had been raining heavily on & off all day I packed disposable ponchos for me, my wife, and our teenage son & daughter in case the sky opened up again. It was barely sprinkling as we walked from the Beach Club to the International Gateway, then as we got to the turnstiles it started raining heavily again. We had plenty of time before our reservation so we took shelter in the nearly empty International Gateway Gift Shop to try and wait for the rain to let up. The intensity of the rain increased to the point I can only describe it as the heaviest downpour I have ever seen that wasn’t associated with a nor’easter or tropical storm. The gift shop was soon filled with other park guests also seeking shelter. Eventually we had to leave for dinner, so the ponchos were distributed. Our daughter, then almost 15, refused to wear it stating she “would rather get soaking wet then wear an ugly poncho.” I explained to her that Le Cellier is air conditioned and that she would be very cold & uncomfortable there if she were soaking wet. She still refused to wear one, so I told her that if she didn't put it on then I would make a scene. With a smile on her face she replied “No you won’t.” Upon hearing her reply my wife laughed and warned her by saying “You know daddy will.” Unfortunately for her she didn't listen to either of us, even though I've always proven to her that I will do what I say. With my daughter at my side, and with a look of uncertain anticipation in her eyes (kind of like the look people have while they’re in line for their first ride on Tower of Terror) I stood just inside the doorway and said very loudly “Excuse me everybody.” With that all of the people in the store, including the cast members, stood still and stopped talking and looked at me as if I had something important to say. Since I had their attention I asked the crowd “Will you all please help me convince my TEENAGE daughter to put her poncho on so can get to Le Cellier without her getting soaked.” The people in the store individually began to tell her to put in on, then after about 10 seconds they began to chant, on their own initiative, “Put it on! Put it on!” This lasted for about 10-15 seconds. Fortunately her embarrassment outweighed her vanity and she put it on while laughing and crying simultaneously, allowing us to get to Le Cellier on time and without anyone being too wet. Of all our trips to WDW over the years, this was the best and most unforgettable so far.
1976 Polynesian, 1980 Polynesian, 1985 Disney Institute Resort, 1986 Off-Site, 1993 Polynesian, 2002 Off-Site, 2003 Off-Site, 2004 Wilderness Lodge Villas, 2005 Beach Club, 2005 Wilderness Lodge, 2005 Wilderness Lodge Villas, 2006 Beach Club Villas, 2007 Disney Wonder, 2007 Beach Club Villas, 2007 Yacht Club, 2008 Disney Wonder, 2008 Hilton Head Island Villas, 2008 Beach Club Villas, 2008 Disney Wonder, 2008 Disneyland Hotel, 2009 Wilderness Lodge Villas, 2009 Vero Beach Villas, 2009 Disney Wonder, 2011 Beach Club Villas, 2011 Hilton Head Island Villas, 2012 Disney Dream, 2013 Disney Wonder Alaska, 2014 Disney Dream
Old 07-14-2010, 09:38 PM   #2
MollyMcDaniel
Mouseketeer

I've always said that humiliation has a place in child rearing....glad to see you feel the same way! I will have to try that technique when my daughter gets a little older.

14+ visits....DVC is worth every penny!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: