Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2009, 09:20 AM   #46
HermanTriplets+1
DIS Veteran

Today I ordered 300 $$ worth of Disney merchandise on my card and got 15% off as a Disney Rewards Visa holder - that was cool! We are going to WDW just before the holidays and I have already bought, at a nice discount, all of the "souvenir t-shirts" for the neices/nephews/aunts and uncles. For me that was worth having the card!

(you might wonder - 300$ on t-shirts?? OK so I also bought myself and my husband watches - the personalized ones! And a snow globe for my SIL, and.... you get the picture)

Last edited by HermanTriplets+1; 11-24-2009 at 09:46 AM.
HermanTriplets+1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:31 AM   #47
Heidijs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBritt View Post
Thank you both for answering all my questions! I applied online and was instantly approved, which I expected after the preapproval in the mail. I hope to get the card soon. I got a $40 credit after first purchase offer with this one. Wish I got it sooner- I would have put our December trip, DStore shirt purchase, and more on it already! One more question- do you have to transfer all rewards at once when redeeming rewards?

I think 20 points minimum transfer.
Register to remove

Old 11-24-2009, 09:33 AM   #48
MissBritt
It's a small, small world.

Wonderful, thanks again!

December 2009-Port Orleans Riverside DXDDP
January 2010-All Star Sports QSDP
December 2010- Coronado Springs DDP
December 2011- POP Century

MK 9Xs, HS 2Xs, EP 2Xs, AK 3Xs, BB 1Xs, CdS 1Xs
MissBritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:47 AM   #49
mickeee
Disney Fan

Considering how much Disney vacations cost, the limits on the card are not stellar. Chase has been cutting limits so the 6 month interest free on Disney vacation is only good on paper. We do several disney trips a year (including DCL) and for a family of four it adds up. But with puny limits the card pretty much becomes useless so I'm forced to use my other cards. The interest rate doesn't matter to us as we PIF although I have seen notices of rate jacking. The discounts don't meen much to us either as we are DVC members and have APs which offer better discounts. All in all a useless card at best unless you charge small amounts but then it beats the purpose of having it in the first place, eh?

Use Penfed instead for cashback!
mickeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:51 AM   #50
Brad Bishop
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne's Family View Post
I think that the only advantage to the rewards system over my Discover card is that the rewards ARE tied strictly to Disney. You can't use those dollars anywhere else, hence you won't be tempted to spend them on something other than your vacation. The money will be there for that purpose when you need it. With my Discover, I can use those reward dollars for outright cash or increase the rewards by ordering gift cards for different businesses (and Disney ain't on that list).

So, if you're looking for a way to save strictly for Disney and not be tempted to use that money elsewhere, use the card. Otherwise, try for a Discover card. It's much more versatile and pays much better. I keep the Disney card anyway, just for the discounts.
This is where I get lost - and I'm not trying to pick on you with this or anyone else with similar situations.

If I'm getting 1% back on a card that's pretty minimal with today's credit cards. I could probably get a random card online and get that as a base. Locking me into using the 1% only at Disney strikes me as being very limiting. If they're going to lock me into only using the rewards points at Disney then give me more points/$1 spent to compensate. As it is, I don't understand why you wouldn't go with a more favorable card that gives you 1% or more with a better interest rate and then, if you like, save up those cash rewards and use them to pay for Disney or, if something comes up or you want to take a trip somewhere else, then you have the cash outright which works anywhere.

If this were any other card with these limitations I think more folks would be saying the same. Say it was a Target Visa card that paid you back 1% but you could only use that reward at Target. Most folks would be saying, "Ok, why get the Target card when you could get a regular Visa card which pays back 1% cash that you can use at Target or Walmart and, if you really love Target so much, there's nothing stopping you from exclusively using those rewards from that non-Target branded Visa card at Target."

I think the picture on the front of the card has a lot to do with why folks use them.

It's good to know that they changed the discounts in the parks. I'm heading back to WDW in December and I'll definitely check into it. If the discounts are there then, yeah, that's a reason to have/keep the card to me.

... UPDATE:

I just checked. Here's the text which looks exactly like the text they used to have:
Quote:
Must use your valid Disney Rewards Visa Credit Card, Disney Rewards Debit Card, or Disney Rewards Redemption Card as payment form and mention this offer. A $50 minimum pre-tax single transaction merchandise purchase is required to receive discount. Discount is not valid on purchases of ticket media, gift certificates, Disney Gift Cards, videos, DVDs and CDs, Disney Dollars, sundries, periodicals, digital and video cameras, disposable cameras, film, consumer electronics (e.g., CD players, TVs, DVD players), tobacco, alcohol, In-Park balloon vendors, Add-a-Dollar (Wildlife Conservation Fund), postage stamps, rentals (e.g. strollers, ECV, etc.), all Titleist and Cobra golf equipment, National brand fragrances, treatments and cosmetics, Personalization, Imaging and Disney’s PhotoPass® product, Lladro, Armani, Hummel, Swarovski Crystal, Walt Disney Classics Collection, other collectibles and select merchandise. Discount is not available at Walt Disney World® Resort Operating Participant locations, including but not limited to, China Pavilion, Japan Pavilion, and Morocco Pavilion at World Showcase in Epcot®, Arribas Brothers, Basin, Basin White, Cirque du Soleil, Curl by Sammy Duval, Ghirardelli, House of Blues, Hoypoloi, LEGO Imagination Center, Magic Masters, Magnetron, Niki Bryan Spas, Orlando Harley Davidson Store, Planet Hollywood, Rainforest Cafe, Richard Petty Driving Experience, Rubio Balloon Arts, SD Watersports, Sosa Cigar, Sunglass Icon, Surrey Bike Rental, T-Rex Café Shop, Wyland Galleries, and any other locations or kiosks that are not owned and operated by the owners of the Walt Disney World® Resort. Further, discount is not available at Disney’s Character Premiere, Disney’s Character Warehouse, Disney’s Earport, Magic of Disney, or World of Disney® New York. May not be combined with any other discount, offer or promotion. Not valid on previous purchases. Offer is subject to change without notice. Separate Theme Park admission may be required.
I'd be willing to bet that when I go to the Emporium at the Magic Kingdom and try to get the discount that they'll say, "Oh, you can get that at the World of Disney...". This really looks like the same text as before to me.

Oh, and the text from that same page of where it's available reads:
Quote:
Where to go: Your discount is available at select Walt Disney World® owned and operated locations throughout the resort
Which is what I remember it saying last time.

Last edited by Brad Bishop; 11-24-2009 at 10:06 AM.
Brad Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:14 PM   #51
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

The rewards can be used at DLR, WDW, and disney stores (and online I believe). The card earns rewards at DLR, WDW, and disney stores (and online I believe)

The wording, select stores, might be the same, but what people are experiencing very recently is that the *select* stores have expanded.

At DLR's Lego Store, you get a 10% discount by using the Disney card, even the DEBIT card. And if you want to get into "what is that worth to you" stuff, the DEBIT card is a fourth of what the credit card offers, and there's a $25 charge each year. And still, it's worth it to me, at least for this year. You get two different cards, though, which is lovely, b/c I get my pixie dust and hubby gets whatever he has.

Someone was mentioning having to use it on disneyworld/disneyland.com to get the 6 months. I *think* that you can actually book with a disney travel agent (meaning a TA that is authorized to book disney vacations), because they use your CC to book. NOw, whether or not you're going ot get a discount doing it that way I don't know, but I do think that people do that!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:28 PM   #52
bjscheel
I voted for tigers!
Pork Baby of 1976

DH will soon be a self-employed truck driver and charging lots of fuel on a card...we were thinking of using the Disney Visa as it's the only card we have that gives 1%. Our Discover is usually only .25% unless it's a 5% on those certain items each quarter. I guess I should keep looking since everybody is saying 1% isn't much.
November 2009- CBR
June 2011- POR
June 2013- DisneyLand/San Diego
June 2014- CBR

DH Me DD15 DD13

For it is by grace you have been saved through faith, and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. (Ephesians 2: 8-9)
bjscheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:39 PM   #53
Heidijs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjscheel View Post
DH will soon be a self-employed truck driver and charging lots of fuel on a card...we were thinking of using the Disney Visa as it's the only card we have that gives 1%. Our Discover is usually only .25% unless it's a 5% on those certain items each quarter. I guess I should keep looking since everybody is saying 1% isn't much.
I know there used to be cards out there that gave more than 1%, 1% is the lowest I've seen. I don't use cards enough to justify the cash back deal but when I can use them here and there for big purchases, I look for deals on new cards and just cancel them a year later or never activate them like I did the Disney and Expedia card.

Someone said they don't give you much when you open the account, I was upset to find out they gave me a credit limit of almost $16,000! I only wanted enough to cover the trip!!!!! So they're not being greedy in my book and they haven't learned their lesson about giving too much credit either! That same day I signed up for the Expedia card and got a $8000 limit on that one. Not to mention the stacks of cards in my drawer that have never been activated with outrageous limits on them but the Disney Visa was the highest.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:14 PM   #54
Anne's Family
Life is good... Really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Bishop View Post
This is where I get lost - and I'm not trying to pick on you with this or anyone else with similar situations.
Nah, I don't feel picked on. I just know some people have difficulty saving for something in particular, so it may work for them. After this trip, I think I'm going to stick with my Discover and just let the dollars rack up there.

Anne's Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:16 PM   #55
MissBritt
It's a small, small world.

Each time you apply for a credit card, you get a little hit to your credit score. Using a card for a short time and cancelling it also knocks a few points off. Holding onto cards and never using them does you no good.

December 2009-Port Orleans Riverside DXDDP
January 2010-All Star Sports QSDP
December 2010- Coronado Springs DDP
December 2011- POP Century

MK 9Xs, HS 2Xs, EP 2Xs, AK 3Xs, BB 1Xs, CdS 1Xs
MissBritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:18 PM   #56
Anne's Family
Life is good... Really.

Also, you can request a Rewards card while you are at Disney. You don't have to wait for it to be mailed. (Not the actual credit card.)

My vacation is in January, the Rewards cards usually expire in December of each year if I remember correctly.

Anne's Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:27 PM   #57
PIRATEGIRL007
DIS Cast Member
OMG! I am about to jump up and down!
real technical words, aren't they!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
The rewards can be used at DLR, WDW, and disney stores (and online I believe). The card earns rewards at DLR, WDW, and disney stores (and online I believe)

The wording, select stores, might be the same, but what people are experiencing very recently is that the *select* stores have expanded.
You can use it at the Charector Premiere outlets, too (they are owned by Disney). We stopped in St Augustine and got $90 or so worth of stuff and I asked if they had a Disney Visa discount just to check and the cashier told me no but I could use my rewards card. We only had $80 some dollars on it for this trip and planned on using it for tips & such. So I just used it all at the outlet, so it would be empty and not have to worry about having a $ or $$ left on it.

The rate on the card isn't good, the rewards aren't as well as others but no matter what reward I'm getting I won't spend it at Disney unless its limited to me only using it there. I just don't have the commitment to save all my cash rebates and wait and use them at Disney so as many others have suggested getting another card might get me back more but its not money I'm gonna save for Disney trips. I look at the rewards card as free money when we are there, this last trip for example it bought nearly all of our sovieners. Since there is no annual fee, the interest doesn't matter if you pay it off, and you get 6 months 0% (our last trip wouldn't have happened w/out this, we were getting bonus but not before free dining was over, so we pd it when we got the bonus), plus have a rewards card here and there to spend, its totally worth it for us.
PIRATEGIRL007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:12 PM   #58
*kokokopelli*
Earning My Ears

I just transferred $503 to the Rewards Card!!! We are heading down next week and I can't wait... It was a higher amount, but we used it to pay for MMVCP tickets over the Internet a few months back. :-)

The rewards card expires in December the year after you get it. For example, I got one June of 2009 and it will expire December 2010. If for some reason, I still have anything on the rewards card at that point (highly unlikely)... I will just buy a Disney gift card - with no expiration date.

I have had 3 of those offers with 5 or 10x the points (only good on select categories once you have met a minimum of $500 or $700 in those categories)... seems to be no rhyme or reason with the offers... we pay off every month and use the card for nearly everything.
*kokokopelli* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:53 PM   #59
gigicnm
Mouseketeer

I received an offer from Disney Visa with a $200 gift card for applying. We were planning on going to Disney in May, so that's our souvie money.

I also put our trip on the card for the 6 month deferred payment. I already have the $ set aside, so I will pay before the 6 month mark.

I put everything on the card (groceries, gas, etc), and pay it off each month. By the time we go in March we should have a total of ~$300 in gift cards. We would usually not spend that much on gifts, so this will be a treat. Of course, I could use the gift cards to pay off trip expenses, but that wouldn't be as fun.

May 11-17, 2008- POP- The Boys 1st Trip
May 8-15, 2010- AKL- Animals Everywhere!
November 4-13 2011- CBR- Surprise Trip: Good morning boys, would you like to see Harry today?
June 19-30 2014- AoA- DC, SW, and the mouse
gigicnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 07:52 PM   #60
mamommy
Earning My Ears

Do you have a link for the $200 reward bonus? I want to sign dh up, but the best I can find is $100. TIA!!
mamommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: