Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2009, 09:33 PM   #1
hyzdufan
Proud Pitt Alumni
Never snort the Pixie Dust...

Bringing Our Bikes - Questions

My parents rented a golf cart, but I want to get some exercise by pedaling around FW. We're staying in the cabins, not sure which loop, but I'd really like to be able to ride my bike to the bus stop each day to go to the park. I know there is an internal FW shuttle, but I can do my own thing on my bike.

Is there a place to secure your bike at the FW main bus stop? How about a place to secure a bike trailer that I'd use to to pull my 3 y/o son?

1986 - Americana Dutch | 1987 - Viscount | 1988 - Howard Johnson | 1990 - Buena Vista | 1991 - Howard Johnson | 1993 - Guest Quarters Suites
1994 - Doubletree | 1995 - Doubletree | 1996 - Doubletree | 1997 - Doubletree | 2002 - Offsite | 2003 - Dixie Landings | 2004 - POFQ | 2005 - POR | 2007 - POR | 2009 - Fort Wilderness
hyzdufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:48 PM   #2
mousebrain
Earning My Ears

Heres one I can help you out on from a fellow biker!! FW is my favorite place in the world to bike.... watch out kids all over and GOLF CARTS are the main obstacles be careful of course!! The reason I camp mainly is so I can ride my bike!! I have a trailer also and the funnest thing in the world is having the Twins and my other little one loaded up, even though it won't be long and they all will be to big for the trailer. Lots of cool trails mostly flat and easy to ride!
Wish I could give you a better answer about chaining up your bike at the bus stops... but it seems to me there are bike racks all over the place, should be some at the main bus stop! I would think that biking at the regular resorts would be frowned upon... so the only resort for me is the Fort!!

Warning very addictive!! Armadillo spotting at night!!

Mouse Brain
mousebrain is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-22-2009, 03:03 AM   #3
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

There are bike racks for securing bicycles, however, I never used them when I pulled my grandsons around FW. I felt the combined length of bike and trailer stuck out too far, so I just parked them along the fence.

Looping with the kids, riding over to WL and the deer sightings added up to quality time with the kids and some exercise to boot.
John VN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:54 AM   #4
des1954
DIS Veteran

There are bike racks at the Marina, Trail's End, Settlement Trading Post, Meadow Trading Post, both pools, the Outpost, the Kennel, the front desk, and at Wilderness Lodge back by the bike rental area. There may be others - but those are the ones I am familiar with. I recommend you lock your bike anytime you'll be out of its' sight for any length of time. I personally know a few people that have had their bikes stolen. We even lock ours up at the site - just to keep honest people, honest.

Riding your bike around the Fort is the best place to ride!!
des1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:33 AM   #5
DaveInTN
I'm Not The Castle Guy

As others have said, biking is one of the most enjoyable aspects of our visits to the Fort. We use them to go everywhere in the resort as well as over to the WL.

We lock our bikes up with basic locking cable. If someone was determined to steal them of course they could use bolt cutters to cut them, but my bikes aren't worth anything, so I figure the only risk of theft is some jerk who would just ride them away and then dump them somewhere....not a true thief looking to make money. I just try to prevent the "spur of the moment" thieves.

As for the trailer, we also have one attached to my bike and I don't lock it. Now, I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to lock it up if you want to. Mine is one of those InStep trailers that attaches to my bike with a pin. I bet you could get a locking pin to replace the stock one. That way it couldn't easily be detached from the bike.
DaveInTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:56 AM   #6
pell
Earning My Ears

I concur with the other bike-riding folks...
One of my best memories is watching my two boys pedal like mad to get to the boat dock in the wee hours of the morning, en route to MK, hair blowing in the wind, eyes filled with excitement. There's nothing better!!

As I recall, there are bike racks at all important places. If not, improvise. Enjoy!!

Jul. 1999 Poly
May 2001 AK Lodge
Aug. 2002 Port Orleans FQ
Jul. 2004 WL
Aug. 2006 Off Site
Dec. 2007 CBR
Dec. 2008 Fort
Apr. 2009 Fort
Yes, we've caught the FW Bug!

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/uxv69zcctki05uxr.png[/img]
pell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 09:27 AM   #7
Judy in Texas
1150 miles too far from the Fort

If you are concerned about securing your kids' trailer, also, you might consider a long cable. When I bought the poop up camper, I was concerned about someone stealing it out of the side yard. Along with a hitch lock, I bought a long (rubber/plastic?) covered cable with loops at each end at Lowes that I stick through the camper tongue and then around a nearby tree. The cables come in various lengths and they also sell the parts so you can make one however long you want. With a cable, you could stick it through a wheel of the kids' trailer, through the bike frame and front wheel (if quick release) and then around a bike rack or fence. Just add whatever kind of lock you want. Weigh the added weight verses the piece of mind.
Judy in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: