Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-12-2013, 03:05 PM   #1846
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran
 
PrincessShmoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 17,104

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwfan30 View Post
hi all i have a question. i was able to book cabana #9 for our cruise in july. its listed in my activities and everything, however if i look in the add activities page it still comes up as an available cabana. its not taken away like the other rented ones. is that because i am looking at it or should i be concerned?
It will always show available TO YOU. But not to anyone else.
__________________

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:12 PM   #1847
3mmm
Mouseketeer
 
3mmm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlieq View Post
I know this is already past, but I'm curious what your experience was.

We had one last weekend (#8 on the family beach and about as perfect as possible) and we wound up not tipping, mostly because there was no opportunity!

The driver took us to our cabana, a host showed us around for a couple of minutes, and then we didn't use any service until we called to be driven back. We didn't order bar drinks, didn't need anything restocked, and walked ourselves to lunch and the restrooms.

We were still intending to throw the guy $20 at the end of the day just in case they were counting on tip income, but after he called for the golf cart at the end of the day he scampered off before we could do anything but holler "bye!" at his retreating back.

This is not a complaint, mind you. We didn't want to be hovered over. It just struck me that maybe tipping isn't a big thing for the cabana hosts. He certainly wasn't lingering or doing anything to indicate he expected one and you aren't given an envelope or anything.
My understanding is that the hosts are the concierge from the ship and most of the cabana guests are concierge so i think many people just add it to their end of trip tip.

That is what we planned to do, but for the second time we had weather issues. This time we did get to dock for a couple of hours, but they did not open the cabanas. The good news is we ended up with a credit at the end of the trip!
__________________
Mary

DS 15, DS 13, DD11, DS9, DS6 as of August 2013
3mmm is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-12-2013, 04:28 PM   #1848
ThePhantomsGirl
I was born to cruise!
 
ThePhantomsGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: In between cruises....
Posts: 2,557

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwfan30 View Post
hi all i have a question. i was able to book cabana #9 for our cruise in july. its listed in my activities and everything, however if i look in the add activities page it still comes up as an available cabana. its not taken away like the other rented ones. is that because i am looking at it or should i be concerned?
It will show as available, but ONLY to the one who has it reserved. Don't panic - I know this from experience. I'd booked #5 and was all upset because it still showed as available when I looked. Found out that is the case, again, ONLY for the person who booked it.

Enjoy!
__________________


1/27/07 Western Caribbean Disney Magic; 2/2/12 Disney Dream Bahamas; 4/28/12 Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean; 1/27/13 Carnival Legend; 9/7/13 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean; 1/25/14 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean; 2/16/14 Disney Dream Bahamas
ThePhantomsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:52 PM   #1849
vcunning
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 278

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantomsGirl View Post
It will show as available, but ONLY to the one who has it reserved. Don't panic - I know this from experience. I'd booked #5 and was all upset because it still showed as available when I looked. Found out that is the case, again, ONLY for the person who booked it.

Enjoy!
My profile shows a little different. It says I've reserved a Family Cabana, but doesn't show it available.

The odd thing I have is that I could only put 2 names out of our party of 8 (2 rooms, linked reservations) on it. I called Disney, the confirmed the reservation and said I can fix that once you get on board. I understand there is an upcharge after 6 guests.
vcunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:29 PM   #1850
meg8182000
Mouseketeer
 
meg8182000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 232

Got one!!!! :

Hi guys - new to this thread but have been reading as today was my 120 day mark until my cruise and I was able to book a cabana. I'll be traveling with my mom and as this is her birthday cruise we totally splurged and went for concierge for the first time. The shoreside concierge service actually booked our 3 ressies for us but most importantly a cabana.

We got cabana #3 - is this a good one?

It is amazing to see how fast they pretty much went. This is the DVC members only cruise with 2 stops at CC and the first day only has one FB cabana left and the 2nd day has 1 FB and 1 SB cabana left.

Thanks,

meg8182000
__________________





meg8182000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:20 PM   #1851
pudinhd
Mouseketeer
 
pudinhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 482

My husband & I will be going to Castaway Cay for the first time in March and are hoping to get a Cabana. We even upgraded to concierge to increase our chances. We are hoping for Serenity Beach, but I am wondering if people would have a problem with 2 adults in a Cabana on the family beach. If that was where we ended up, would that be okay? Thank you!!
__________________
Too Many Trips to Disneyland to Count, 1999 WDW Honeymoon, 2005 Mexican Riviera Disney Cruise, 2008 Mexican Riviera Disney Cruise, 2008 WDW Vacation, 2009 Backstage Magic ABD, 2011 Disney Cruise to Neverland, 2011 Mexican Riviera Disney Cruise, 2012 Alaskan Disney Cruise, 2013 Repo LA to Vancouver Disney Cruise, 2014 Western Caribbean Disney Cruise, 2014 Backstage Magic ABD
pudinhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:25 PM   #1852
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran
 
PrincessShmoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 17,104

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudinhd View Post
My husband & I will be going to Castaway Cay for the first time in March and are hoping to get a Cabana. We even upgraded to concierge to increase our chances. We are hoping for Serenity Beach, but I am wondering if people would have a problem with 2 adults in a Cabana on the family beach. If that was where we ended up, would that be okay? Thank you!!
I'm not sure why you think there might be a problem? I'd say you have a better chance of getting the cabana on Serenity Bay. Those times when there have been one or two left over after the 120 window, it seems they've been ones on the adult beach, not the family beach.

Just a note, the family beach ones are $499 and the Serenity Bay ones are $399.
__________________

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:59 PM   #1853
AlexandNessa
Proud Redhead
Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Must sleep barefoot
HEY EVERYONE...THIS IS A SECRET...SHE HATED THE MUMMY MOVIE
 
AlexandNessa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,379

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudinhd View Post
My husband & I will be going to Castaway Cay for the first time in March and are hoping to get a Cabana. We even upgraded to concierge to increase our chances. We are hoping for Serenity Beach, but I am wondering if people would have a problem with 2 adults in a Cabana on the family beach. If that was where we ended up, would that be okay? Thank you!!

Yep, totally ok! These two adults love the FB cabanas because they have a private beach. Just decide which cabana number range you'd be happy with and let the shoreside concierge team know. They'll book your cabana for you. We were away on a cruise when our booking window opened, and I chatted with the shoreside concierge before we left. I let them know I wanted cabana cabana #4 or as close to it as possible. When we got back from our cruise, I had an email confirmation from them for #4. I checked out of curiosity 3 days later, and only the ones on SB are left. The FB ones are sold out at the moment.
__________________
Alex Vanessa
AlexandNessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:16 AM   #1854
jenf22
DIS Veteran
 
jenf22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Beautiful Colorado
Posts: 928

The cabanas are sold out for my cruise, so I've been obsessively checking the DCL multiple times a day. Does anyone know if the cabanas are always listed at the bottom of the page or are they just down there because they're sold out? If one opens up will it show up alphabetically with the rest of them? Thanks much!

Ok - not to get flamed here - but as someone with a child who is desperate to find a Family Cabana, I do find it a little disappointing to know there are "adults only" parties who book the Family Cabanas. Isn't that kind of like booking an "accessible" room because you like the extra space when you don't actually have any kind of handicap? I understand if all the Serenity Bay ones are booked and that's all you can get, but my understanding is those are easier to come by. Again, I don't want to get flamed... I didn't know people did this and am a little disappointed by it... makes me very sad about any hope I might have to get a cabana
__________________
Me DH DS(7) Maia Lilla Bo Bella Kiya
Norwegian Star Norwegian Fjords - June 2015
Allure of the Seas Mediterranean - June 2015
Jewel of the Seas Southern Caribbean - October 2014
Fantasy Western Caribbean - September 2013
Wonder Alaskan - September 2012
Magic Bahamian - May 2012
jenf22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:56 AM   #1855
BooToYou7
Earning My Ears
 
BooToYou7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: A royal city
Posts: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenf22
The cabanas are sold out for my cruise, so I've been obsessively checking the DCL multiple times a day. Does anyone know if the cabanas are always listed at the bottom of the page or are they just down there because they're sold out? If one opens up will it show up alphabetically with the rest of them? Thanks much!

Ok - not to get flamed here - but as someone with a child who is desperate to find a Family Cabana, I do find it a little disappointing to know there are "adults only" parties who book the Family Cabanas. Isn't that kind of like booking an "accessible" room because you like the extra space when you don't actually have any kind of handicap? I understand if all the Serenity Bay ones are booked and that's all you can get, but my understanding is those are easier to come by. Again, I don't want to get flamed... I didn't know people did this and am a little disappointed by it... makes me very sad about any hope I might have to get a cabana
I don't think it's quite the same. A handicapped accessibility room is a medical necessity. A cabana, in most cases, is a luxury. Two adults who want to be on the family beach do have to pay more to do so, so I guess I don't see the issue. Having seen the cabanas at both beaches, they really aren't at the same level (no private beach at SB which I think is part of the luxury of the cabana) and I don't see why a childless couple should be relegated to the lesser cabanas just because they don't have kids.
__________________
WL 9/10, BW 10/11, WL 12/11, DCL Dream 12/11, AKV 3/12, Swan 9/12, BCV 10/12, DCL Dream 12/12, DCL Fantasy 5/13, BLT 9/13
BooToYou7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:42 AM   #1856
AlexandNessa
Proud Redhead
Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Must sleep barefoot
HEY EVERYONE...THIS IS A SECRET...SHE HATED THE MUMMY MOVIE
 
AlexandNessa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,379

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooToYou7 View Post
I don't think it's quite the same. A handicapped accessibility room is a medical necessity. A cabana, in most cases, is a luxury. Two adults who want to be on the family beach do have to pay more to do so, so I guess I don't see the issue. Having seen the cabanas at both beaches, they really aren't at the same level (no private beach at SB which I think is part of the luxury of the cabana) and I don't see why a childless couple should be relegated to the lesser cabanas just because they don't have kids.
Thanks. I agree ... it's not the moral equivalent of parking in a handicapped spot or booking an accessible room. The cabanas on FB are nicer (private beach perk) and therefore more expensive. The reason we book them was at the suggestion of one of the Disney concierges. Disney allows it and (in our case at least) encourages it. If anyone has an issue with me booking a FB Cabana, the beef is with Disney and not with me or other adults who do this.
__________________
Alex Vanessa
AlexandNessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:07 AM   #1857
pudinhd
Mouseketeer
 
pudinhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 482

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
I'm not sure why you think there might be a problem?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenf22 View Post
Ok - not to get flamed here - but as someone with a child who is desperate to find a Family Cabana, I do find it a little disappointing to know there are "adults only" parties who book the Family Cabanas. Isn't that kind of like booking an "accessible" room because you like the extra space when you don't actually have any kind of handicap? I understand if all the Serenity Bay ones are booked and that's all you can get, but my understanding is those are easier to come by. Again, I don't want to get flamed... I didn't know people did this and am a little disappointed by it... makes me very sad about any hope I might have to get a cabana
This was my concern... We have never been to Castaway Cay and I didn't know if there were rules (or guidelines ).

I really appreciate everyone's comments. Thank you!!
__________________
Too Many Trips to Disneyland to Count, 1999 WDW Honeymoon, 2005 Mexican Riviera Disney Cruise, 2008 Mexican Riviera Disney Cruise, 2008 WDW Vacation, 2009 Backstage Magic ABD, 2011 Disney Cruise to Neverland, 2011 Mexican Riviera Disney Cruise, 2012 Alaskan Disney Cruise, 2013 Repo LA to Vancouver Disney Cruise, 2014 Western Caribbean Disney Cruise, 2014 Backstage Magic ABD
pudinhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:08 AM   #1858
jenf22
DIS Veteran
 
jenf22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Beautiful Colorado
Posts: 928

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooToYou7 View Post
I don't think it's quite the same. A handicapped accessibility room is a medical necessity. A cabana, in most cases, is a luxury. Two adults who want to be on the family beach do have to pay more to do so, so I guess I don't see the issue. Having seen the cabanas at both beaches, they really aren't at the same level (no private beach at SB which I think is part of the luxury of the cabana) and I don't see why a childless couple should be relegated to the lesser cabanas just because they don't have kids.
I know you're right. I'm just having a "down" day. It never occurred to me I was competing with everyone on the ship to get a cabana. I've been fighting the urge to crawl under my desk at work and cry since I saw this. I guess I figured the "adult only" crowd wanted the "adults only" beach. I didn't know there wasn't a private beach at SB. Why get a cabana there at all? It's just upsetting that because I have a child, I have less of a chance at getting a cabana than those without kids on a Disney cruise. Those without kids have all 20 to pick from, where I only have the Family ones (how many is that?? 17??).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexandNessa View Post
Thanks. I agree ... it's not the moral equivalent of parking in a handicapped spot or booking an accessible room. The cabanas on FB are nicer (private beach perk) and therefore more expensive. The reason we book them was at the suggestion of one of the Disney concierges. Disney allows it and (in our case at least) encourages it. If anyone has an issue with me booking a FB Cabana, the beef is with Disney and not with me or other adults who do this.
I'm really not mad at anyone. I just wish Disney did it differently... maybe hold back 5 cabanas and do a lottery when the sail date gets closer. There are some folks from our cruise who just booked concierge and can't get a cabana because they didn't do it advance enough. They're paying through the nose (my opinion) for a room and don't get one of the perks because of timing.

I know whether or not I have a cabana really shouldn't matter, but I can't seem to let it go. I know I'll spend the next 80 days checking multiple times per day. I know we'll probably end up spending half the day on the ship to get out of the sun. I'm a little different than most people on this board - I cruise for the destinations, not just to be on a "Mickey Boat". So I'm bummed that one of my stops isn't the way I planned. I imagine I'll eventually get over it!
__________________
Me DH DS(7) Maia Lilla Bo Bella Kiya
Norwegian Star Norwegian Fjords - June 2015
Allure of the Seas Mediterranean - June 2015
Jewel of the Seas Southern Caribbean - October 2014
Fantasy Western Caribbean - September 2013
Wonder Alaskan - September 2012
Magic Bahamian - May 2012
jenf22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:27 AM   #1859
BooToYou7
Earning My Ears
 
BooToYou7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: A royal city
Posts: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenf22

I know you're right. I'm just having a "down" day. It never occurred to me I was competing with everyone on the ship to get a cabana. I've been fighting the urge to crawl under my desk at work and cry since I saw this. I guess I figured the "adult only" crowd wanted the "adults only" beach. I didn't know there wasn't a private beach at SB. Why get a cabana there at all? It's just upsetting that because I have a child, I have less of a chance at getting a cabana than those without kids on a Disney cruise. Those without kids have all 20 to pick from, where I only have the Family ones (how many is that?? 17??).

I'm really not mad at anyone. I just wish Disney did it differently... maybe hold back 5 cabanas and do a lottery when the sail date gets closer. There are some folks from our cruise who just booked concierge and can't get a cabana because they didn't do it advance enough. They're paying through the nose (my opinion) for a room and don't get one of the perks because of timing.

I know whether or not I have a cabana really shouldn't matter, but I can't seem to let it go. I know I'll spend the next 80 days checking multiple times per day. I know we'll probably end up spending half the day on the ship to get out of the sun. I'm a little different than most people on this board - I cruise for the destinations, not just to be on a "Mickey Boat". So I'm bummed that one of my stops isn't the way I planned. I imagine I'll eventually get over it!
No, I agree, it sucks. I'd be happy with a cabana at SB if it had a private beach, but unfortunately Disney didn't plan it that way. My husband and I were on a sold out sailing for our 5 year wedding anniversary and I desperately wanted a cabana but the greedy people on our sailing never did let one go. But you know what, we got to Castaway, set up under an umbrella, ordered some pina coladas as soon as the server walked by and still had an excellent time! And got to meet Jack Sparrow who just randomly walked by!
__________________
WL 9/10, BW 10/11, WL 12/11, DCL Dream 12/11, AKV 3/12, Swan 9/12, BCV 10/12, DCL Dream 12/12, DCL Fantasy 5/13, BLT 9/13
BooToYou7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:42 AM   #1860
AlexandNessa
Proud Redhead
Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Must sleep barefoot
HEY EVERYONE...THIS IS A SECRET...SHE HATED THE MUMMY MOVIE
 
AlexandNessa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,379

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenf22 View Post
I know you're right. I'm just having a "down" day. It never occurred to me I was competing with everyone on the ship to get a cabana. I've been fighting the urge to crawl under my desk at work and cry since I saw this. I guess I figured the "adult only" crowd wanted the "adults only" beach. I didn't know there wasn't a private beach at SB. Why get a cabana there at all? It's just upsetting that because I have a child, I have less of a chance at getting a cabana than those without kids on a Disney cruise. Those without kids have all 20 to pick from, where I only have the Family ones (how many is that?? 17??).



I'm really not mad at anyone. I just wish Disney did it differently... maybe hold back 5 cabanas and do a lottery when the sail date gets closer. There are some folks from our cruise who just booked concierge and can't get a cabana because they didn't do it advance enough. They're paying through the nose (my opinion) for a room and don't get one of the perks because of timing.

I know whether or not I have a cabana really shouldn't matter, but I can't seem to let it go. I know I'll spend the next 80 days checking multiple times per day. I know we'll probably end up spending half the day on the ship to get out of the sun. I'm a little different than most people on this board - I cruise for the destinations, not just to be on a "Mickey Boat". So I'm bummed that one of my stops isn't the way I planned. I imagine I'll eventually get over it!
I understand. There are only, what, 19 cabanas and how many hundreds of staterooms? I either see Disney building more cabanas, or, more likely, given the high demand, raising the prices commensurate with the demand.

Having been on SB, and in the cabana on FB, we actually found the private beach with the FB Cabana more serene.

The key to booking concierge is to do it prior to the 120 day booking window if you want a popular excursion or reservation, unfortunately. The concierge team is great, but contrary to popular belief, they can't often get sold out excursions.

Hang in there. Someone may cancel, or some family on your meet thread(s) may open up an opportunity to share their cabana for cost savings. . Good luck!
__________________
Alex Vanessa
AlexandNessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PJ & TR: Claire & Mike - WP/KWR/SCP - 30 Dec 09 - **Inside Disney Weddings Podcast** Chilly Planning our Happily Ever After 1013 03-11-2011 03:44 AM
Castway Cay Scuba Diving Grumpy Fireman Disney Cruise Line Forum 6 11-22-2009 08:06 PM
Pinkerbell's TR-5/18/09-WP-Whitehall Room-Sago Cay Point *More Wedding Pictures* Pinkerbell1983 Planning our Happily Ever After 270 11-21-2009 12:16 PM
castaway cay thoughts flagfred Disney Cruise Line Forum 1 11-19-2009 11:13 AM
Looking for a Castaway Website BWV Dreamin Disney Cruise Line Forum 1 11-18-2009 07:05 PM

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: